Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 12

Author Topic: Tower of Makhios - I Lost Count of the Turns (8/8, waitlist open)  (Read 9666 times)

Rethi-Eli

• Bay Watcher
  • I came for the LNP, I stayed for the RTDs.
    • View Profile
Re: Tower of Makhios - Turn 2 (8/8, waitlist open)
« Reply #75 on: May 07, 2023, 05:57:30 pm »

((Can amulets be used by the non-attuned? I notice they use Arcane but aren't "spells". So would using one as a non-attuned just raise your arcane from -1 to 0?))

I suppose -1 isn't a very clear way of putting it. A -1 in Arcana essentially means you are incapable of using it in any way.
In the end, the winner is the one with the most snake venom.

BlackPaladin99

• Bay Watcher
  • The dark Knight of Eternity
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 07, 2023, 09:01:10 pm »

Look around.  do i see anything that could be used as a weapon
We're talking about partially sapient undead spaghetti here, you can probably instruct it to only strangle specific diners.

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 07, 2023, 09:42:47 pm »

I suppose -1 isn't a very clear way of putting it. A -1 in Arcana essentially means you are incapable of using it in any way.
((ah, a 'sell several orphans souls to unlock this option midgame' situation))
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

Horizon

• Bay Watcher
  • hOlY cRaP tHe sUn?
    • View Profile
Re: Tower of Makhios - OPEN
« Reply #78 on: May 07, 2023, 10:01:27 pm »

"I don't have-"
She's cut off by the blood-curdling screech. The catkin flinches for a moment but quickly corrects, her ears shooting forward again.
"Lead the way, Siegrid. I'm right beside you."

Let Siegrid decide where we're going, but stay in the front.

Spoiler: Isolde (click to show/hide)

The older man sighed shaking his head, then brandished his cudgel "My bets a traps ahead," corpse in the middle of the floor, weird arcane light? Yeah, he wasn't a fool "Ah well with me then, let's make sure those two morons don't die."

Follow Mu through the door, assess the situation then club a ghoul in the skull.

Spoiler: Siegrid (click to show/hide)
Go and Praise Mitsloe the artist of my avatar!

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
Re: Tower of Makhios - Turn 1 (7/8)
« Reply #79 on: May 07, 2023, 11:02:25 pm »

Stay following closely behind Siegrid and Isolde without comment

Spoiler: Meleria (click to show/hide)
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Knightwing64

• Bay Watcher
  • The Most Handsome Bay12 Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 08, 2023, 08:18:15 am »

Disregarding the corpse with a dismissive sniff and turn of the head, Arek tries to fiddle with the pendants and see if he can’t change them more to his liking.

Spoiler: Arek (click to show/hide)

Rethi-Eli

• Bay Watcher
  • I came for the LNP, I stayed for the RTDs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 08, 2023, 12:44:15 pm »

Forget the probably trapped treasure chest for a second its a free dagger!... Shanks wonders who leaves a perfectly good dagger in someone's back anyway?

As Shanks reaches the dead body, he hears a small click and feels the ground beneath him depress ever so slightly - pressure plate!

Roll Focus (Acrobatics): 3, 6+1-2 = 5
Result: Success

A second dagger is launched directly at Shanks from a formerly hidden slot in the wall, but it's hardly so much as entered the air before Shanks is out of the way. Now Shanks has not one, but two daggers! Subsequent attempts to trigger the plate, however, are met with nothing more than the sound of an empty shutter and the whooshing of air. All good things, it seems, must come to an end.

Loot
Dagger (one-handed, 0.5 wound, deathblow)
Dagger (one-handed, 0.5 wound, deathblow)

Disregarding the corpse with a dismissive sniff and turn of the head, Arek tries to fiddle with the pendants and see if he can’t change them more to his liking.

Arek probes the charms - cheap trinkets with equally cheap magics bound to them. While the disadvantage is obvious enough, there is one advantage: weaker spells are easier to unravel, redirecting the flow of arcane energies through them to achieve a more desirable effect. Nonetheless, it is a difficult task for even experienced spellweavers, and failure runs the risk of the loss of all magical properties. Focusing on the green pendant first, Arek begins nudging the flow of energy within, twisting and pinching to add a quality of sharpness to the soft current.

Roll Focus (Magic): 1, 3+3-3 = 3
Result: Partial failure

The magic in the green pendant is stubborn and unmalleable, and despite Arek's best efforts, refuses to be shaped to his will. It is strong enough, at least, to survive the tampering intact, but just barely - any further dabbling with the already strained magics will have to be almost perfectly precise if the magic is not to unweave entirely. Turning his focus to the blue pendant, he once again tries to reshape the magic within, though this second attempt proves even more difficult than the first.

Roll Focus (Magic): 4, 5+3-4 = 4
Result: Partial Success

The second pendant proves a somewhat better target, and Arek now finds that the magic within, sure enough, is more to his taste. Cracks weave their way through the formerly clear blue crystal, and the metal of the pendant compresses, as if held under a great force.

Nullification Charm (Active - The wearer may, at any time, gain 1 Arcana in order to end the effects of poison, venom, or any other intoxicating substance upon themselves or any living target within arm's reach. Cannot be used at maximum arcana.)
Pullification Charm (Active - The wearer may, at any time, gain 1 Arcana in order to exert an extreme amount of pulling force on any target within 30 feet. The force is strong enough to cause harm (0.75 Wound) when directly applied, and is not mitigated by armor. This effect may be spread among any number of targets, but its force is divided equally among these.)

Apply Feet to Ghoul Heads.

Spoiler: Mu (click to show/hide)
Ghosts."God's Verdict, Xing Xing."

Rush into combat with the ghostsghouls with a spinning sweep.

"I don't have-"
She's cut off by the blood-curdling screech. The catkin flinches for a moment but quickly corrects, her ears shooting forward again.

The older man sighed shaking his head, then brandished his cudgel "My bets a traps ahead," corpse in the middle of the floor, weird arcane light? Yeah, he wasn't a fool "Ah well with me then, let's make sure those two morons don't die."

Follow Mu through the door, assess the situation then club a ghoul in the skull.

"I don't have-"

Stay following closely behind Siegrid and Isolde without comment

Siegrid, Isolde, and Xing Xing rush into the fray, while Ekaterina and Meleria follow closely behind. Mu is the first to strike, lashing out with a lightning-quick kick to the face of the nearest ghoul.

Roll Skill-at-arms: 1+1-1 = 1

Mu's kick is incredibly powerful, but he is unprepared as the ghoul bends backwards, its spine folding back at a 90 degree angle so that his kick passes directly over it. The mighty kick collides instead with the wall, shattering some of the stone and sending a spray of obscuring, gray dust into the air with a crack. Though the obscuring dust doesn't hide the silhouettes of the ghouls, it certainly makes it harder to discern them.

Xing Xing, undeterred, lets a spinning strike fly from her staff. She needs neither sight nor thought to guide her strike: her faith is both her bulwark and blade.

Roll Conviction: 3+3-2 = 4

Xing Xing's strike rebounds off of the arm of the ghoul on the left with a satisfying crunching noise. The creature emanates another ear-piercing shriek as pieces of desiccated skin flake from the wound, revealing the decomposing flesh and bone beneath.

Siegrid, giving the beast no time to recuperate, follows Xing Xing's attack with a crushing blow of his own.

Roll Skill-at-arms: 4+2-2 = 4

The ghoul shields itself with its good arm as Siegrid's cudgel falls upon its head. The cudgel, though a simple implement, gives good account of itself, the lacquered wood proving more than sufficient for shattering the creature's right arm. Both of its forelimbs now rendered useless, the foul creature lunges towards Mu, teeth snapping. It proves quite easy for Mu to divert the attack, and his quick reaction allows him to divert the ghoul's path into the wall, into which it slams, stunning it.

The uninjured ghoul leaps instead towards Xing Xing, claws outstretched. It manages to scratch her slightly, but the wound is superficial, drawing only a trickle of blood. Xing Xing receives 0.25 Wounds!

Roll Brawn (Resistance): 3, 5+2 = 7
Result: Absolute success

Xing Xing feels the burn of the beast's venom as it enters her bloodstream, but she is unfazed - learning to resist and nullify poisons such as these was an essential part of her training. Were she unable to do so, after all, she would have died in the temple. Xing Xing calms herself, lowering her heartbeat to a faint murmur and halting the spread of the foul stuff through her blood, before contracting her muscles around the wound and expelling the majority of the tainted blood.

Isolde and Meleria, though unable to strike immediately at the ghouls, find themselves able to examine the area more thoroughly.

Roll Focus: 3, 4+2 = 6
Result: Critical success

Aside from the wooden club clutched in a dismembered hand, the corpse in the room carries a handful of other objects of note - two silver rings shine on the fingers of the severed hand, while the belt around the mangled waist holds a string-drawn pouch.

Isolde and Meleria aren't the only ones to notice as a third ghoul skitters into the room on all fours, hissing its displeasure. Like the others, the mouth and claws of this one are caked with dried blood and other filth, and there seems to be only an animal intelligence behind its unblinking eyes.

Look around.  do i see anything that could be used as a weapon

Only that which is available at Mercator's loan-business.

Shop of Lodovico Mercator
Arquebus (two-handed, 4 wound, ranged, armor-piercing, unwieldy) 2000 crown debt
Broadsword (one-handed, 0.75 wound) 200 crown debt
Broadsword (one-handed, 0.75 wound, imbued) 400 crown debt
Bardiche (two-handed, 1 wound, cleave) 600 crown debt
Cudgel (one-handed, 0.25 wound) 20 crown debt
Dagger (one-handed, 0.5 wound, deathblow) 200 crown debt
Hand Pavise (one-handed, shield) 100 crown debt
Pike (two-handed, 0.75 wound,  reach) 250 crown debt
Poleaxe (two-handed, 1 wound, armor-piercing) 600 crown debt
Rapier (one-handed, 0.75 wound, deathblow) 450 crown debt
Staff (two-handed, 0.5 wound) 40 crown debt
Staff (two-handed, 0.5, ?) imbued with unknown magic. 600 crown debt
Staff (two-handed, 0.5, ?) imbued with unknown magic. 600 crown debt
Windlass Crossbow (two-handed, 1.25 wound, ranged, armor-piercing) 1000 crown debt

Padded Armor (light, 0.25 wound reduction) 150 crown debt
Maille Shirt (light, 0.5 wound reduction) 400 crown debt
Brigandine (heavy, 0.5 wound reduction, -1 penalty to attacker rolls) 800 crown debt

Black Crystal Pendant (?) imbued with unknown magic. 400 crown debt
Hare's Foot Pendant (Nullifies negative consequences from critical successes) 300 crown debt

Spoiler: Keywords definitions (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 08, 2023, 12:46:01 pm by Rethi-Eli »
In the end, the winner is the one with the most snake venom.

Fluffe9911

• Bay Watcher
  • Such ‼Socks‼ Much Fun
    • View Profile
Re: Tower of Makhios - Turn 2 (7/8)
« Reply #82 on: May 08, 2023, 01:10:22 pm »

Now Shanks will move onward to the probably trapped treasure chest... Actually Shanks will throw a dagger at the chest before opening it just to be safe Shanks can never be too careful!

Spoiler:  Shanks The Monsters (click to show/hide)

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Leftover Potential
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 08, 2023, 01:21:36 pm »

"Mel, those rings might be magic. Maybe you should go for them?"
Always remember!
Pumsy loves you!

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 08, 2023, 02:02:14 pm »

"I can try, though I don't have any practice. It just runs in my family. I'll give it a shot."
Quickly strip the rings off and see if I can figure out what they do and how to use them.

((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Leftover Potential
    • View Profile
Re: Tower of Makhios - OPEN
« Reply #85 on: May 08, 2023, 02:21:39 pm »

Protect Meleria by whatever means prove necessary.
"Makhios, I am not afraid."

Always remember!
Pumsy loves you!

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: May 08, 2023, 02:26:22 pm »

Trip the ghoul who attacked Xing Xing. Break the knee.

Atomic Chicken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: May 09, 2023, 09:20:23 am »

(PTW)
As mentioned in the previous turn, the most exciting field of battle this year will be in the Arstotzkan capitol, with plenty of close-quarter fighting and siege warfare.  Arstotzka, accordingly, spent their design phase developing a high-altitude tactical bomber. 

Horizon

• Bay Watcher
  • hOlY cRaP tHe sUn?
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: May 09, 2023, 10:30:46 am »

"Hmph, fuckers always travel in packs. Go figure." the old merc' spits to the side then moves to the ghouls flank to strike the back of its neck with his cudgel.

Go and Praise Mitsloe the artist of my avatar!

Knightwing64

• Bay Watcher
  • The Most Handsome Bay12 Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: May 10, 2023, 06:08:09 am »

Arek, seeing the ghoul, has a sharp but sudden headache which gives him a idea. Arek tried to use if he can drag up any memory of a spell he can use to reanimate the dead ghoul friends.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 12