Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 12

Author Topic: Tower of Makhios - I Lost Count of the Turns (8/8, waitlist open)  (Read 11116 times)

Horizon

• Bay Watcher
  • hOlY cRaP tHe sUn?
    • View Profile
Re: Tower of Makhios - Turn 1 (7/8)
« Reply #45 on: May 06, 2023, 10:26:46 am »

"Lass," shaking his head the old man felt bad for the one armed woman as she became desperate "How bout' I cut you a deal between you an' me? I got age to back me experience, maybe you can use it to become a better guide. And I'll make sure ye don't die along the way? I'd say that's a fair trade fer the time being?" Siegrid extended a hand towards Ekaterina, to offer her his protection for her guidance.

Spoiler: Siegrid (click to show/hide)
Go and Praise Mitsloe the artist of my avatar!

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 06, 2023, 11:38:10 am »

"... Xing Xing thinks one cannot make money without spending money. One cannot worship without money either. And one can't fight evil without it either."

"Shanks come with Xing Xing. We gather much loot, sell, and profit."

Xing Xing heads to see Mercator for a loaned weapon. Xing Xing does not intend to stay on the First Floor for long.

Rethi-Eli

• Bay Watcher
  • I came for the LNP, I stayed for the RTDs.
    • View Profile
Re: Tower of Makhios - Turn 2 (7/8)
« Reply #47 on: May 06, 2023, 07:09:55 pm »

"Gahhh! Shanks keeps dosh no share!"

Onwards the dosh shall be Shanks!

Spoiler:  Shanks The Monsters (click to show/hide)
"from looks of this one, this parasite will follow you far enough to stick a dagger int thou back and no furthermore."
Mu says over his shoulder towards Meleria before confidently heading off towards the Stairs upwards.
Spoiler: Mu (click to show/hide)

Mu and Shanks the Monsters ascend the stairs, receiving jealous stares from the first floor's denizens as they do so. Opening the door at the staircase's summit, Mu and Shanks find themselves in an area starkly different from the first floor; though the brickwork and color are the same, as well as the faint, ethereal light that allows sight in an unlit, unwindowed room, this is not one large hall, but rather a small room with a number of connected doorways. Specifically, as well as the option to go back and proceed back down to the first floor, there is a door that leads to the left, and a door that leads straight forwards.

Roll Focus (Shanks): 4+1 = 5
Result: Success
Roll Focus (Mu): 2
Result: Failure

Shanks is able to discern a faint rasping noise emanating from the door on the left, and, furthermore, notices a spatter of dried blood on the door's face and hinge. No such signs present themselves from the door leading straight ahead.

Arek startles as he is jolted awake and narrows his eyes in suspicion, gingerly holding his head as it throbs in pain.“Don’t make me laugh. if you were any good you would be long gone and not wasting your time on newbies. Frankly, your usefulness is questionable at best. If I really wanted a guide, I would rather go to one of those lazy wretches.

After this, Arek studies the room for anything overtly magical to study.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Roll Focus (Arek): 2, 4+3 = 7
Result: Absolute success

Arek needs little more than a quick examination to determine which of the various merchants' wares are magical, and his findings corroborate what Ekaterina said about much of it being worthless junk. This is not entirely true, however - two small pendants being sold by one of the independent merchants have a clear magical resonance, faint though it may be, as well as a fairly significant number of the items guarded by Mercator's men. The greatest concentration of magic and magical items, however, is found on his men - unlike what's arrayed out for potential buyers, the equipage of the enforcers is distinctly magical, of a quality befitting a king in the world without.

As Arek browses Mercator's wares, one of the guards saunters up to him, hand resting on the pommel of his sheathed sword.

"You... I swear I know you. From before the Tower. Seen you, or maybe heard about you. Your visage is not one that is easily mistaken, and yet I cannot place it... who are you?" he asks, his voice gruff yet not overtly hostile.

"... Xing Xing thinks one cannot make money without spending money. One cannot worship without money either. And one can't fight evil without it either."

"Shanks come with Xing Xing. We gather much loot, sell, and profit."

Xing Xing heads to see Mercator for a loaned weapon. Xing Xing does not intend to stay on the First Floor for long.

Xing Xing, meanwhile, gets to finish her examination of Mercator's wares. There's quite a bit here, although most of it seems roughly equivalent in usage and quality - weapons are weapons, no matter their make.

Shop of Lodovico Mercator
Arquebus (two-handed, 4 wound, ranged, armor-piercing, unwieldy) 2000 crown debt
Broadsword (one-handed, 0.75 wound) 200 crown debt
Broadsword (one-handed, 0.75 wound, imbued) 400 crown debt
Bardiche (two-handed, 1 wound, cleave) 600 crown debt
Cudgel (one-handed, 0.25 wound) 20 crown debt
Dagger (one-handed, 0.5 wound, deathblow) 200 crown debt
Hand Pavise (one-handed, shield) 100 crown debt
Pike (two-handed, 0.75 wound,  reach) 250 crown debt
Poleaxe (two-handed, 1 wound, armor-piercing) 600 crown debt
Rapier (one-handed, 0.75 wound, deathblow) 450 crown debt
Staff (two-handed, 0.5 wound) 40 crown debt
Staff (two-handed, 0.5, ?) imbued with unknown magic. 600 crown debt
Staff (two-handed, 0.5, ?) imbued with unknown magic. 600 crown debt
Windlass Crossbow (two-handed, 1.25 wound, ranged, armor-piercing) 1000 crown debt

Padded Armor (light, 0.25 wound reduction) 150 crown debt
Maille Shirt (light, 0.5 wound reduction) 400 crown debt
Brigandine (heavy, 0.5 wound reduction, -1 penalty to attacker rolls) 800 crown debt

Blue Crystal Pendant (?) imbued with unknown magic. 400 crown debt
Green Crystal Pendant (?) imbued with unknown magic. 400 crown debt
Hare's Foot Pendant (Nullifies negative consequences from critical successes) 300 crown debt

Spoiler: Keywords definitions (click to show/hide)

"So where would you suggest we equip ourselves then?"

"The Tower provides, as do the fools who climb it. There's plenty to be found as you ascend - the risk is, in some ways, lesser than that of incurring a debt. Of course, if you can't pay up when Mercator's thugs come to collect, you might be able to come to an agreement - more guards are always welcome, and you have all the time in the world to work off your dues. Do as you please with this knowledge."

"At least you're trying, unlike this useless lot. I'll split my share with you, Ekaterina, at least until I'm accustomed to this place. If your debt still isn't paid by then, you'll just have to find another way to make money."

As someone who's struggled, Isolde isn't above taking pity on a desperate woman. That and she can appreciate the edge of having foreknowledge.

"Have you seen a man in a winged helmet, wielding a spear? I saw a vision, but I don't know what to think of it. A warning, perhaps."

Spoiler: Isolde (click to show/hide)

"A winged helmet and a spear? Gods above and below, you might actually be right about seeing the future! 'Course, you might have also studied the iconography of the temple surrounding the Tower, so I suppose I can't be certain, but I have no reason to doubt you - what kind of fool would disbelieve anything here? That would be none other than Makhios himself. He doesn't show his face around here, but he's not the important one; his idols, however, are perhaps the most important thing you could possibly stumble across. They're the only way out. No telling where you'll find one, but they tend to be more frequent the higher you ascend. On very rare occasions, they'll even pop up down here - that's what all these wretches are waiting for. If you couldn't already tell, it's not worth waiting on. Far easier to climb. Last time I went up, however, it was in a group of five; we came across four idols. Bastards left me for dead after they took my arm... that was the fourteenth floor, if memory serves.

"Lass," shaking his head the old man felt bad for the one armed woman as she became desperate "How bout' I cut you a deal between you an' me? I got age to back me experience, maybe you can use it to become a better guide. And I'll make sure ye don't die along the way? I'd say that's a fair trade fer the time being?" Siegrid extended a hand towards Ekaterina, to offer her his protection for her guidance.

Roll Conviction: 5+1 = 6
Result: Critical success

"Yes... I suppose you're right. In truth... when I was asking you for pay, I wasn't being wholly honest. If I climb with you, I'd be in your debt just as much as you could possibly find yourselves in mine. Safety in numbers, and all that. Maybe honesty will make sure I'm not left behind this time around. Very well, new friends - you lead on, and I'll follow. I can't stand this dismal place much longer. I suppose I'll be sticking with the future-seer. Maybe she can tell me if I ever get out of here!" Ekaterina exclaims, voice tinged with the slightest tremulous emotion.
In the end, the winner is the one with the most snake venom.

Fluffe9911

• Bay Watcher
  • Such ‼Socks‼ Much Fun
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 06, 2023, 07:39:37 pm »

"Gehhh left door danger! Forward!"

Through the door straight ahead!

Spoiler:  Shanks The Monsters (click to show/hide)

(I wonder what stops people from getting into massive debt "buying" things and then just leaving the tower aint like they can give chase once they leave considering the whole memory-erasing thing... granted the guy in debt also losses his memory so there is a real chance he just walks right back in and gets pummeled which is a funny mental image)
« Last Edit: May 06, 2023, 07:41:30 pm by Fluffe9911 »

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 06, 2023, 07:46:21 pm »

"Alright. Then lets regroup and get climbing. I'm Mel."
lets catch up to the headstrong pair that already pushed ahead.
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 06, 2023, 08:05:07 pm »

". . ."
Mu accepts the little monster's words with a savage grin, but rather than heading on ahead, heads to the Left Door to commit Violence.
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I want to be your blahaj.
    • View Profile
Re: Tower of Makhios - OPEN
« Reply #51 on: May 06, 2023, 08:11:03 pm »

"Yes. I'd rather not stay in this place much longer."
Proceed to the next floor. Since there's not many fighters, stay frontline to protect the squishies-who-aren't-me.

"By the way, Mel. Um, what's the deal with your ears?"

Spoiler: Isolde (click to show/hide)

BlackPaladin99

• Bay Watcher
  • The dark Knight of Eternity
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 06, 2023, 08:13:43 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

(In?)
Gouge out the chainsaw priest's eyes with my thumbs.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 06, 2023, 08:15:26 pm »

(I wonder what stops people from getting into massive debt "buying" things and then just leaving the tower aint like they can give chase once they leave considering the whole memory-erasing thing... granted the guy in debt also losses his memory so there is a real chance he just walks right back in and gets pummeled which is a funny mental image)
(Can't leave till you find an idol. Also uhh the debt collectors kinda set up their main base right next to the only known exit.)

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 06, 2023, 08:23:30 pm »

Proceed to the next floor. Since there's not many fighters, stay frontline to protect the squishies-who-aren't-me.

"Hm? You... you don't know? I'm a foxkin. Aren't you also beastkin? probably catkin?"
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Horizon

• Bay Watcher
  • hOlY cRaP tHe sUn?
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 06, 2023, 08:46:19 pm »

"Actions speak louder than words," Siegrid told Ekaterina, the older man sees fit to stop at the merchandiser, taking what little debt a set of padded armor and a cudgel would accrue.

He took a moment to don his equipment before making his way up the stairs with the others "Better to be safe than sorry." he mumbled to himself as he ascended.

« Last Edit: May 06, 2023, 08:49:06 pm by Horizon »

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 06, 2023, 08:53:59 pm »

"Hm? You... you don't know? I'm a foxkin. Aren't you also beastkin? probably catkin?"
"Ahh..."
She appears uncomfortable with this.
"No, I've nawt met anyone like me. I just know I'm accursed."

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 06, 2023, 09:15:53 pm »

"Ahh..."
She appears uncomfortable with this.
"No, I've nawt met anyone like me. I just know I'm accursed."
"WHAT."
I spin to face the self-depreciating catkin.
"You are NOT accursed. Who the hell told you that?"

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 06, 2023, 09:32:20 pm »

She shrinks down.
"I-I just mean- It's not nice! Having pointy ears and a tail doesn't really help me out!"

Horizon

• Bay Watcher
  • hOlY cRaP tHe sUn?
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 06, 2023, 09:51:06 pm »

She shrinks down.
"I-I just mean- It's not nice! Having pointy ears and a tail doesn't really help me out!"
Siegrid never quite understood why folk saw the beastkin as lesser races, he didn't care if they were or weren't.

"Don't matter what you look like kid, I don't care if your purple or have eight eyes so long as ya don't kill me in my sleep." he snorted.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 12