Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 12

Author Topic: Tower of Makhios - I Lost Count of the Turns (8/8, waitlist open)  (Read 11065 times)

Fluffe9911

• Bay Watcher
  • Such ‼Socks‼ Much Fun
    • View Profile
Re: Tower of Makhios - OPEN
« Reply #30 on: May 05, 2023, 08:26:55 pm »

"Gahhh! Shanks keeps dosh no share!"

Onwards the dosh shall be Shanks!

Spoiler:  Shanks The Monsters (click to show/hide)

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I want to be your blahaj.
    • View Profile
Re: Tower of Makhios - Turn 1 (7/8)
« Reply #31 on: May 05, 2023, 09:45:25 pm »

"Somehow I feel that's not the right move, sir. This place isn't safe. Better to pay up than to die."

Knightwing64

• Bay Watcher
  • The Most Handsome Bay12 Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 05, 2023, 09:56:25 pm »

Arek startles as he is jolted awake and narrows his eyes in suspicion, gingerly holding his head as it throbs in pain.“Don’t make me laugh. if you were any good you would be long gone and not wasting your time on newbies. Frankly, your usefulness is questionable at best. If I really wanted a guide, I would rather go to one of those lazy wretches.

After this, Arek studies the room for anything overtly magical to study.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Horizon

• Bay Watcher
  • hOlY cRaP tHe sUn?
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 05, 2023, 10:24:07 pm »

((Funny how ya'll were saying when i suggested the hired guard thing that you made arguments to say that it made no sense yet your all wanting this random person to guard you. >:[ ))

Siegrid just shook his head "Well if anyone wants their ass covered I'll be right here. Working the trade routes guarding caravans taught me a thing or three. Bout having an eye for value."  he gave the sorry bunch a look before spitting, then made his way towards the stairs to ascend.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2023, 10:39:14 pm by Horizon »
Go and Praise Mitsloe the artist of my avatar!

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 05, 2023, 10:35:24 pm »

((Funny how ya'll were saying when i suggested the hired guard thing that you made arguments to say that it made no sense yet your all wanting this random person to guard you. >:[ ))
((it DOES make no sense. this person almost certain is attempting to backstab us. however that doesn't mean they don't have useful information.))
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Horizon

• Bay Watcher
  • hOlY cRaP tHe sUn?
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 05, 2023, 10:38:20 pm »

((it DOES make no sense. this person almost certain is attempting to backstab us. however that doesn't mean they don't have useful information.))
((Ohhhhhhh.))

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 05, 2023, 10:50:01 pm »

"You could at least wait long enough for us to talk. We should all seven stick together. Look, both the mages are staying in the hall right now."

Rethi-Eli

• Bay Watcher
  • I came for the LNP, I stayed for the RTDs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 05, 2023, 10:59:48 pm »

((Hey y'all, this isn't a turn but I have a question for you as a newly-returning GM - would it be acceptable to everyone if dialogue was done separately from turns? That way, asking an NPC a question or issuing a demand doesn't take an entire turn. If this is okay with everyone, I'm inclined to do this so as to make back-and-forth dialogue not take forever.))
In the end, the winner is the one with the most snake venom.

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 05, 2023, 11:02:29 pm »

((Aye, 'tis fine, so long as its reasonable, don't spend three hours of back and forth with one person, but don't just make it one response per person between updates.))
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

Horizon

• Bay Watcher
  • hOlY cRaP tHe sUn?
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 05, 2023, 11:09:09 pm »

"You could at least wait long enough for us to talk. We should all seven stick together. Look, both the mages are staying in the hall right now."
"Hmph, fine."

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 05, 2023, 11:21:45 pm »

((Hey y'all, this isn't a turn but I have a question for you as a newly-returning GM - would it be acceptable to everyone if dialogue was done separately from turns? That way, asking an NPC a question or issuing a demand doesn't take an entire turn. If this is okay with everyone, I'm inclined to do this so as to make back-and-forth dialogue not take forever.))
((please do))
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Rethi-Eli

• Bay Watcher
  • I came for the LNP, I stayed for the RTDs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 06, 2023, 01:47:13 am »

I hurry over to the other beastkin and make sure nobody attempts to go through their pockets while they're down. Once I'm sure nobody's getting grabby I turn back to Ekaterina.
"How far will you go with us?"

"Ideally, as far as I'm able. I've done guide-work before, and I just need the slightest bit more to pay off the debt that drove me to this place in the first place. Yeah, I'd take you to the end, and, if all goes well, I'd get out with you."

"from looks of this one, this parasite will follow you far enough to stick a dagger int thou back and no furthermore."
Mu says over his shoulder towards Meleria before confidently heading off towards the Stairs upwards.

Siegrid had nothing to say, just a snort of amusement as he listened to the woman bandy about her experience and knowledge.

"Trust is something that don't have a price." without elaborating the old man followed suit with the less tactful man "Only thing I really care for is having enough gold to afford a meal or a sturdy blade." to him he only cared about having enough to afford the equipment to brave the Tower. His last job had only paid so much, leaving him with the clothes on his back.

"Gahhh! Shanks keeps dosh no share!"

Onwards the dosh shall be Shanks!

Arek startles as he is jolted awake and narrows his eyes in suspicion, gingerly holding his head as it throbs in pain.“Don’t make me laugh. if you were any good you would be long gone and not wasting your time on newbies. Frankly, your usefulness is questionable at best. If I really wanted a guide, I would rather go to one of those lazy wretches.

After this, Arek studies the room for anything overtly magical to study.

Roll Conviction: 2+1+1 = 4
Result: Partial Success

After the immediate refusal of Mu, Siegrid, Shanks and Arek, Ekaterina's brow furrows. She does not hide her desperation well as she turns back to those who remained to lend an ear.

"...perhaps a 10% cut is better called for? I suppose I can guide well enough, but I can't fight like used to before this," she says, waving the stump of her left arm, "so half the services for half the price! I think that quite reasonable, right?"

Isolde props herself up immediately when she regains enough strength to do so, growling and glancing between the strangers around her.

"...I saw blood. And... a soldier. Wings on his helm."
Regaining some of her senses, she looks between Meleria and the one-armed woman and seems to relax a little.
"'Scuse me, ma'am. Sometimes I see stuff of the future. Just that's what got me this far. I think yer deal is a good one, may I know your name?"

Ekaterina looks a bit wary as Isolde comes to. Laughing nervously, she takes a step forwards and offers her hand to help Isolde fully to her feet.

"I'm glad you think the offer's a good one. Like I said, quite reasonable! I'm Ekaterina, friend. I've spent a long time here, but never before have I met someone who can tell the future. I figure there are a lot of folks here who would have avoided the place like the plague were it that they had that same foresight. Let me show you around, and prove that I'm worth the charge while I'm at it."

Turning to the rest of you, Ekaterina points out to each of the distinct locations in the hall.

"As I said, this is the first floor, where those unwilling or unable to ascend the Tower languish. Not a place you should plan on staying long, but not one without its merits. The large stash of loot in the eastern corner belongs to Lodovico Mercator. Perhaps the richest man in the Tower, and one who has never set foot past the first floor. His is a long story, but it's best not to get involved in it at all - Mercator's a lender, and his men are debt collectors. Armed to the teeth with the Tower's finest. Anything not good enough for Mercator's enforcers, however, is loaned out - arms and armor, useful tools, and even a bit of magic here and there. Try to skip out on paying for anything you borrow, however, and his goons will find you soon enough. He practically owns this floor, but if you don't borrow from him, you'll never find yourself in his debt."

She turns to the far less impressive items being marketed on the carpets.

"Though far less impressive, everything on the floor opposite Mercator is for sale - no debts, no thugs, just business. 'Course, not a single thing is sold without Mercator's say-so, so it's usually all junk: anything of real value is bought by him before anyone else lays an eye on it. 'Course, being new here, buying isn't an option for you - nobody takes credit."

Finally, Ekaterina makes a wide, sweeping gesture, indicating all of the hall's remaining forlorn populace.

"Anyone who isn't here for business isn't worth paying any mind to. They're lost souls, walking corpses - all roads end, for them, in death. They would perish if they dared ascend the Tower, but remaining here tears at their sanity: every now and then one of them goes berserk, sometimes even killing a couple of the other failures before Mercator's guards cut them down. The ones that are sane, if nothing else, are often of a venerable age - neither time nor hunger ravage the body within these walls. The ones that still remember how to speak have some amazing stories - but they are all cowards nonetheless. Anyone of note will be found higher in the tower, not at its base. So... pretty handy stuff, right?"
In the end, the winner is the one with the most snake venom.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 06, 2023, 02:11:29 am »

"So where would you suggest we equip ourselves then?"

Knightwing64

• Bay Watcher
  • The Most Handsome Bay12 Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 06, 2023, 08:13:15 am »

Well… I suppose a guide could be useful…” said Arek, fully intending on not paying her and just draining her of any relevant information.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Tower of Makhios - OPEN
« Reply #44 on: May 06, 2023, 08:55:11 am »

"At least you're trying, unlike this useless lot. I'll split my share with you, Ekaterina, at least until I'm accustomed to this place. If your debt still isn't paid by then, you'll just have to find another way to make money."

As someone who's struggled, Isolde isn't above taking pity on a desperate woman. That and she can appreciate the edge of having foreknowledge.

"Have you seen a man in a winged helmet, wielding a spear? I saw a vision, but I don't know what to think of it. A warning, perhaps."

Spoiler: Isolde (click to show/hide)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 12