Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 92

Author Topic: BYOR 16: Game Over. Mafia 2 Wins.  (Read 47792 times)

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
Re: BYOR 16: Day 1 - 50% Dystopian Chaos Pizza Time Hat Tyrant Dio [15 / 15]
« Reply #525 on: April 19, 2023, 05:43:32 pm »

Tric: I just finished reading your large post. First, thank you for putting in the effort to do that. That rewrite is actually much easier to read and understand, and you do seem to have put good thought into it. Next, what does the problem's with FoU's reads have to do with jim? Jim's behavior didn't draw from that readslist. My case on jim had nothing to do with that readlist either. So... why bring it up in reaction to my making my case on Jim? I do see the arbitrary nature of the "genuineness" stat FoU used, sure. I just don't understand why I should care about it right now.
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #526 on: April 19, 2023, 06:09:08 pm »

First of all. claps for hector.

To Lenglon, it's mostly my case on FoU. The part I quoted was just me being a bit annoyed you missed Jim's foundation. That said hector's post shines new light on it.

... I've got nothing. Hmm... It mostly makes me question teams and what's going on. Town or mafia, kudos to Hector for that.

My primary point against FoU is misrepresenting the timeline of events, and building a case with two separate logical connections for Mafia, with the assumption that I am Mafia. While splitting the camp based on reactions to me is a good point of info to build, then using it to build a case against me is not. It takes away from the purity of that first post. Sure he's voting me, but waiting for some discussion first might have been more useful?

All I can do is think on this, step back, and read cases. My primary two would be FoU/Lenglon/Hector and Jim/Max.

Scratch the former, Juicebox also acting odd, so FoU/Juicebox/Hector. I'm wondering where NQT is at the moment though. Would expect they will step in to talk at some point.

The latter suspicion is based upon befriending. You can certainly put me in that team easily enough. ... WIFOM though. day 1 ... eh.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #527 on: April 19, 2023, 06:21:21 pm »

You were in the game and know the context, wtf is this bullshit!?
Not only that, but I'd just reread it only a day or two before. I just don't see your point.
"Fallacy did X in Y context, so he wouldn't do it in Z context!"?
I also remember Fallacy acting in a way like this as scum with me in Kill Webadict Now. I see similarities to his play in Bring Three just a moment ago, too. Yes, he always has some kind of a reason, the point isn't the reason, the point is this is his standard toolbox.

As to your complaint about my complaint about you, part of your argument is reasonable: that I didn't give examples of you managing town, but part is not: that I was somehow being "oddly cautious" by answering a question from somebody else. If I hadn't been asked I probably wouldn't have brought it up at all today, since my focus is on Fallacy, plus you were absent by your own admission so I'd have given you the benefit of the doubt for a while anyway. It's not oddly cautious to frame it as an answer to a question when somebody else asked me the question entirely outside my own control. Unless you think I coordinated with Toaster to open the opportunity to shade you? That's actually fair, but I probably wouldn't have bothered doing that as scum, I don't think.
Back to the reasonable part: Well, I can't really speak to what end you'd be managing town toward yet, because I don't know your plans. I can see the patterns but I don't know where they point yet. I didn't have a list of examples ready because, like I've said before, that's not really how my brain works, but I looked back over your posts and I think I see signs of it here, here, and here, just for a start, not to mention in the post I'm responding to now.
Still, man, like you said, it's d1, I don't have any super strong scumreads yet. If someone wasn't dead set on voting out one of my strongest townreads I don't really know what I'd be doing. I'm not trying to set you up, and don't read too much into it. I'm more suspicious of you because I know you're a strong player.

You and Lenglon and Fallacy have all been harping on about "context" and I really don't get it. I don't think it's disingenuous to quote something "out of context" when the context is easily available? None of the quotes that I've seen have struck me as particularly misrepresentative at all. It feels insincere to an extent, although I don't actually think all of you are scum, so at least some of you probably mean it. I think I just don't get it. I may be biased in that I think Tric and Jim are both extremely townie, I guess, but you knew that already.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #528 on: April 19, 2023, 06:26:27 pm »

Toaster

Fallacy meta arguments fall real thin when you’re using them as self defense.

They also fall thin when the entire basis of your game so far has been about it, a la Jim. It's an advanced variety, but it's still active-lurking. Makes him look as though he's contributing to the game without saying things people can realistically respond to within the context of this game.

Jim

Doover.

PFP.

xkcd comic

@Jim @Max

You're not a stranger to mafia...

Neither is EJ but you're allowing him to skirt by without doing anything.

Oh, yes, meta, sorry, carry on ::)

Like... I can get how maybe he doesn't do anything with the veteran players because they're practiced enough to be able to justify most things, but there's 3 or 4 newer players doing NOTHING that he can be poking at, so why isn't he, and why isn't that bothering you?

Knightwing64

Oh, I remember winning with Tric with that dragon thing, that was nice. Anyway, I think with 15 players in a webadict game, it’s a pretty safe assumption to think there’s at least 1 3P.

FOU is acting kinda strange, but I suppose I could ascribe that to playstyle/personality differences and the stress of being on the chopping block.

Jim isn’t really posting at the rate they normally do, which I think is a little weird. Any thoughts, Jim?

Toaster feels pretentious, I don’t like

So what are you going to do about... any of this? I get you've got school, which is much more important than this, but... even if you just pick one and go to town, that'd be cool. Hint: FoU and Jim are shouting at each other, you might want to choose Toaster.

I've not really read too much of what Lenglon has been doing in the whole FoU/Max/Tric/Jim nonsense, because I was more interested in at least Max and Jim there, but she at least seems to be poking at everyone involved (on the surface) so I'll take a deeper look at that at some point, though I'll be back to pfp by then...

I might have to read Tric's posts in greater detail after all *sighs*

I'm not sure how likely it is, but I'm vibing a scum team of Jim/Max/EJ/Tric, loosely in that order of how confident I am. Maybe Max first, and Tric only exists in the team because of Jim pushing woeful meta arguments about FoU and Tric, and Max supporting them for some as yet unknown reason, 'cause I cannot fathom a world in which he genuinely buys what Jim is selling here. Associative reads ftw.

Getting into the last 24 hours of the day so... I guess I'd be cool with a Jim/Max/EJ elimination.

PPE: I've been clicking preview a lot on this post and I don't really know why so I'll post it, mostly because I need to do something else. For some reason I think I'm missing something, though that might just be a consequence of how quickly I finished the post in relation to pfp...
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #529 on: April 19, 2023, 06:31:26 pm »

I realize this is only going to feed your paranoia but I don't get this Jack thing either. He seems pretty normal!

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #530 on: April 19, 2023, 06:33:12 pm »

I know this will also feed your paranoia, but no, Jack does not seem normal. I'm not entirely sure where Juicebox sits right now given we've consumed discussion for the past 24 hours. Lot of people not posting.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #531 on: April 19, 2023, 06:33:56 pm »

I know this will also feed your paranoia, but no, Jack does not seem normal.
Will you give me some examples, at least? Tell me what you think is wrong with Jack. I crave to understand.

Agreed with rest of post.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #532 on: April 19, 2023, 06:37:17 pm »

Asking people about, or clarification of, the reasons they're voting is... kinda basic in the game of mafia. If you think it's a waste of time we can get rid of you early so you can play Noita if you like?

Like... I can get how maybe he doesn't do anything with the veteran players because they're practiced enough to be able to justify most things, but there's 3 or 4 newer players doing NOTHING that he can be poking at, so why isn't he, and why isn't that bothering you?

Why are you griping at me
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #533 on: April 19, 2023, 06:45:18 pm »

Not enough data atm Max. Which is a bit annoying. Show Posts is usually quite useful. Can at least say he hasn't really posted elsewhere.

Could point out his sheeping I guess? Or at least using it as an active excuse. He just feels off to me.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #534 on: April 19, 2023, 06:54:04 pm »

hng, I went and started rereading the last game I remember Jack being mafia in and I have to say I do kind of see it now. I'm going to reevaluate, and also not be available for a little while anyway.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #535 on: April 19, 2023, 06:55:52 pm »

Asking people about, or clarification of, the reasons they're voting is... kinda basic in the game of mafia. If you think it's a waste of time we can get rid of you early so you can play Noita if you like?

Why are you griping at me

More of your meta reads.

I think in the last day his only post as been “expect nothing ‘til D2” because he’s allowed to get away with it, and you’re one of the ones that allow it with said meta read.

Toony too,  but he was less effusive about it and I’ve not been as bothered about him than you so gripe gripe gripe.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #536 on: April 19, 2023, 07:10:24 pm »

Did you know that I've been thinking a lot of players have been skating by because of this Fou/Tric thing sucking up all the air in the room, and included in that list of people was EuchreJack, but that I haven't had a chance to express these thoughts yet?

I think in the last day his only post as been “expect nothing ‘til D2” because he’s allowed to get away with it, and you’re one of the ones that allow it with said meta read.

I think I was more or less saying I was comfortable (at the time) with him advertising a lack of activity since I assume he wouldn't advertise that if there wasn't a reason for it, but it's already been a long Day 1 and it's slipping my mind.

Toony too,  but he was less effusive about it and I’ve not been as bothered about him than you so gripe gripe gripe.

could you chill a little
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #537 on: April 19, 2023, 07:23:51 pm »

mafia is srs bznz gripe gripe gripe

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #538 on: April 19, 2023, 07:26:21 pm »

Yo, if we're gonna mock people, I'm gonna start modkilling.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #539 on: April 19, 2023, 07:27:30 pm »

mafia is srs bznz gripe gripe gripe
mafia is panicky end of day 1 fire drills.

On this note. Is this a good game to actually skip the day 1 lynch? I'm a bit curious. and hat hungry, but eh.

ninjaweb
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 92