Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 92

Author Topic: BYOR 16: Game Over. Mafia 2 Wins.  (Read 47588 times)

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
Re: BYOR 16: Day 1 - Error Found While Loading Flavor - Requires Reboot
« Reply #195 on: April 17, 2023, 12:22:00 pm »

PFP

Do you trust Tric? I don’t trust Tric. Vibe check doesn’t pass. He reads like he knows what he’s doing. It’s like how I always play better when I’m scum.

Okay, I can conceptualize what’s bothering me now, about Max’s logic. Is it valid? Yes. The problem is that it’s fundamentally basing scumminess on something that’s not part of the game state and can only be subjectively argued. It’s unreliable and easy for scum to potentially exploit. I don’t like it for that reason.

In case it was missed. Alignment inspection does not work properly on me. Since nobody noted it the first time I said it.
FoU has some twisted role ideas. Screw second-guessing this mechanical garbage spaghetti, I'm basing everything on reads and visible daytime behaviour.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: April 17, 2023, 12:27:37 pm »

I said nothing about discussion getting bogged down Tric, don't try to stuff words in my mouth. I said that asking about Hats is rolefishing. If people want to claim their hats then that's on them, but generally people shouldn't roleclaim day 1 without a good reason. You're actively pushing and fishing for the hat part of people's roles without justification. I do think we will want to have a good long hat discussion, but said discussion will probably be best to have on day 2.
If there are two things Town Tric is obsessed with, they're hats and roleclaiming.

Okay, I can conceptualize what’s bothering me now, about Max’s logic. Is it valid? Yes. The problem is that it’s fundamentally basing scumminess on something that’s not part of the game state and can only be subjectively argued. It’s unreliable and easy for scum to potentially exploit. I don’t like it for that reason.
It would be fair to say that if I'd said that people should be voted solely on account of what category they fall into. On the contrary, I clearly and specifically gave reasons for taking the category concept with a grain of salt. Of course we all know that it isn't certain, so there's no need - and it's certainly not townie, although I think you'd do it either way - to undermine a useful source of evidence.
In case it was missed. Alignment inspection does not work properly on me. Since nobody noted it the first time I said it.
I heard you. As a matter of fact, inspection doesn't work properly on me either, for reasons that may become clearer when we get the flavor.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: April 17, 2023, 12:28:46 pm »

First post of the day after waking, expect little.

NQT

That means nothing. Whoever is in the lead early D1 rarely is eliminated. There'll be loads more wagons before the end of day, and (I see Toony is in this game so) probably a frantic mass switch around of votes in the last fifteen minutes. Someone like hector13 is more likely  to get eliminated. Guess again.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Though you’re the first person to try the “hector’s bad” tack rather than patting my head and rubbing my belly. Like seriously I’m not that good. Am I?

I’m not really sure how to take either, but that could be sleep inertia.

EJ

My role mentions a hat belonging to Tric, also it seems pretty op, is everyone else the same?
I want us to not talk about this.
AGREED!

Undoubtedly, someone has a Hat King victory condition. Without more info, that could be bad.

I don't really have the time to even read this thread, between work, taxes, and No Man's Sky. So I will focus on reading Toony/Jim then deferring my two votes to whomever of them isn't scum.

I will note, two votes with...god how many are playing, doesn't mean much. I will get more powerful as the game goes on, however.

I… don’t like this idea of deferring votes. As town your vote is your voice it’s just you get to be a little louder than anyone else. You don’t give that away for anything.

Further to that, it implies a lack of confidence in your play which contrasts with you saying that you’ll read Jim or Toony as town and then give them your vote… in the face of both of those players being pretty much consensus tricky reads.

So which is it? You’re so bad you need to give up your votes to people you can’t read because you’re so bad, or you’re so good as to be able to read tricky-to-read players, which means you shouldn’t have to give up your vote anyway?

Something like that. Probably rhetorical questions, but answer then anyway :p

Unfortunately this is something you might do as town… bad for reasons outlined above and because you won’t learn how to use your vote if you let someone else use it for you. There ain’t nothin’ riding on this except maybe pride and embarrassment, it doesn’t matter if you get it wrong.

On the other hand, one of Jim or Toony could be on your scum team so… I’m intrigued to see what you do from here.

Toony

:o

Is this supposed to help your case?
Lenglon mentioned third-party in their first post so maybe it happened again like that game they were a mutant pixie and Max was satan.

Knightwing seems town.

I opened this in another link for some reason and I can’t remember why after doing the last two parts of the post.

Probably something to do with bringing up that game and not being happy about it. I should probably ask something more useful though given I left it ‘til after “better” content than references to other games…

I kind of like Max’s idea of thinking who might choose town and scum as alignments to send in, at least for very early game speculation stuff.

You’ve played with a lot of these players. Who do you think would send in a mafia alignment? Who do you think would send in a town alignment?

PPE: so… Tric appears to be claiming town? Not wanting to take KW’s hat because they appear town. Acting like a TP though.

Would it be so bad for Tric to exit the game because they’ve won when they get enough hats..?

Tric what’s your alignment?

I have to play out in the snow apparently so more later.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: April 17, 2023, 12:32:47 pm »

PFP

Do you trust Tric? I don’t trust Tric. Vibe check doesn’t pass. He reads like he knows what he’s doing. It’s like how I always play better when I’m scum.

100% Not MafiaToonyManApproved
Yes, I am playing like a Dragon. Or a Hat Kid in this case. Gib ma Hats!

We've got 15 people. I'm playing to my rollMaximumSpin/PatentPending. If I can sang a nice hat, I can actually do stuff. If I can't I'm basically vanilla. All I know is Mafia isn't likely to kill me, and would want to lynch me day 1. Maybe, if they can spin it in such a way no info is gained. But simply by existing I've brought chaos to this game, via Hats. And I have not been counterclaimed.

Nin. Hector, you should know better, I never outright say what my alignment is. That would be lying. And I'm an honest lier. (I'm n)Yeah, can't even type that without a straight face. Can we not get into tricks and whorls, it's just going to go down the drain. Right now I'm just typing what I think.

Fluffe9911

• Bay Watcher
  • Such ‼Socks‼ Much Fun
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: April 17, 2023, 12:33:05 pm »

Heckin game launches a a hour after I went to bed shaking and crying anyway time to go over the bajillion questions I got.

Fluffe:  Hello!  Don't believe I've played with you.  What is the best and worst part of RVS?
Yep think this is the first time we played a game together. Anyway had to look this up I guess its the random voting people do on the first day? The best part is it can get a nonactive player to talk but the worst part is its often an excuse for shitposty sheniganry or low justification bandwagoning.

Fluffe what do you think is going to be the best way to find scum on D1? What do you think is the best way to find town on D1?
I continue to abide by my hatred for the first day and the view that it is practically impossible to find a decent scum on the very first day without them making a major misplay. As for finding town I guess them being active in trying to find mafia can be a semi-decent sign? Youll never get any guarantee on the first day though.

Fluffy: Almost all of these questions I'm asking are useless and stupid. Which one is the worst and which one is the closest to actually being worth something and why?
Hmm well I say the most useless one is the cat ears one since that is a yes or no question with 0 useful info being granted regardless of the answer the closet to being actually worth something I would say its the thanos snap one if you replaced if you could with if you had to and asked who they would snap otherwise they are all about equally useless slightly more slightly less.

Fluffe is going to ping hard if they haven't upped their game from last time. They just exude a sense of wrongness that is just this side of town divide. (When Mafia)
Im probably misunderstanding what you are saying but I have not been mafia in a single game we have played together yet.

Huh honestly less questions then I thought I would get.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: April 17, 2023, 12:37:07 pm »

Lenglon also looks at FoU and types into her phone.

I like this too, though for non-alignment-indicative reasons. It's a good argument to support not punishing people for simply requesting the role that they think they'll have the most fun playing as. Games should be fun, and people should get to play what they want and play the way they want. Punishing that is, though not-alignment-indicative, not nice or fun. So this doesn't get you any town points, but it does get you "good person" points in my book.
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: April 17, 2023, 12:40:00 pm »

Might be misremembering then? (Was there a game where Fluffe wasn't town..)

Right. One thing I do be it town or third party is try and find Mafia. As shown when I was a dragon and burned Nakeen alive. Town-Knightwing having a strong hat isn't an issue for me, as they will use it in the benefit of town. That weakens Mafia and lets me sit around on a bed of gold, counting my hats. (I'm fine, everything is on fire.)

Part of why I do not want to get into a whirlpool of wifom is because we have 15 PLAYERS. Day 1 will mostly be spent gathering information and feeling everyone out. Day 2 is going to be a mess of contradictions and figuring out who's who. Day 3 is when I'll be in the fullness of my Hat-fueled tyranny.(Specifically Nighttime.) And day 4 is when the game will be won or lost for mafia. I'm hoping by that point I've got a good idea of who's who.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: April 17, 2023, 12:45:27 pm »

@Max:
Oh Max, your sacred breadcrumbing is far too obvious this time. I also think it's hilarious you would say -sama.

I said nothing about discussion getting bogged down Tric, don't try to stuff words in my mouth. I said that asking about Hats is rolefishing. If people want to claim their hats then that's on them, but generally people shouldn't roleclaim day 1 without a good reason. You're actively pushing and fishing for the hat part of people's roles without justification. I do think we will want to have a good long hat discussion, but said discussion will probably be best to have on day 2.
It's not Tric.

@Hector:
I'm not sure about most players. I think NQT would absolutely submit town though because he's attested multiple times to enjoying town more and has also been mafia far too many times recently. I thought FoU would also submit town for multiple reasons, but they've claimed cult so. Don't have strong reasoning for anyone else.

For me personally I said the turtles would pick town, but I myself don't care.

@Tric:
Fluffe has never been mafia yet.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: April 17, 2023, 12:47:38 pm »

FYI I'm house sitting my parents' house for the next ten days so while I do have everything I need to play I don't quite have it all arranged as conveniently as I do at home to distract myself during work with mafia. So I may be a bit slower to notice things and to respond to them. But I don't usually post during work hours anyway so you may not notice.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: April 17, 2023, 12:50:06 pm »

@Hector:
I'm not sure about most players. I think NQT would absolutely submit town though because he's attested multiple times to enjoying town more and has also been mafia far too many times recently. I thought FoU would also submit town for multiple reasons, but they've claimed cult so. Don't have strong reasoning for anyone else.

For me personally I said the turtles would pick town, but I myself don't care.
If it helps, I left it up to chance, since I enjoy playing either way, and I find it strongly believable that Lenglon would as well. I think I agree about NQT. I also think Jim would submit town to have less responsibility so he can play more Noita.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: April 17, 2023, 12:50:31 pm »

Not a huge deal honestly. I'll be doing things of and on too. (Though in my case it's being lazy, tired, or going to work out.)

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: April 17, 2023, 12:50:40 pm »

Max, I don't know what the Curry Carp thing is about, could you please explain it for me?
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: April 17, 2023, 12:55:35 pm »

I also think Jim would submit town to have less responsibility so he can play more Noita.
This is true. I could make a joke about a three word role but I won't.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: April 17, 2023, 12:55:42 pm »

Max, I don't know what the Curry Carp thing is about, could you please explain it for me?
Oh, lol, I was just shortening "A Curious Cat", both because it's long, and because for some reason I've always said "Carp" in my head. I like calling people weird nicknames, sometimes. It's not really a thing I expected anyone to know, but I figured people would either ask or figure it out based on the context eventually.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: April 17, 2023, 01:17:34 pm »

PFP and I hate typing lots on phone so don’t expect much.

Unvote Maximum Spin. Good answer. No guarantee of township but enough to move on.

Knightwing I have minor town vibes. Maybe hector but needs a double check.

Lenglon and Tric are pinging scum. Is “Tric is competent and focused as scum and wildly unpredictable as town” still a valid meta read?  I stand by my gut read either way.

Fluffe I’m concerned that you merely responded and didn’t actually contribute. What’s up?
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 92