Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 19

Author Topic: Age of Calamity and Regrowth: Discussion Thread - End  (Read 11473 times)

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Age of Calamity and Regrowth: Discussion Thread
« Reply #120 on: March 25, 2023, 07:14:31 pm »

How does the flat morale boost from a governor interact with the diminishing returns of luxury morale boosts?
Governor boosts are separate, and don't interact with the diminishing returns of luxury goods.

How does the "population soft cap" that the town hall mentions work?
-1% growth after you hit 12,000 or 16,000 population, with an additional -1% growth for every 1000 people. You'll get your full growth from the turn you started before that, even if it's 11,999.
Which means that the Town Hall is another case where a "just in time" building makes a decent amount of sense.
I'm going to label buildings that take effect immediately with a * in the reference post.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: March 25, 2023, 07:46:34 pm »

You think it makes sense for me to prioritize clothes and spirituality over spears and research halls?

Also, will revolts from low morale be different due to my democratic nature? I'd think it would lower chances of active rebellion but lowering morale might quickly remove or replace leaders. Assuming that most people can participate in the democracy, which is currently the case but may evolve as the city grows.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: March 25, 2023, 07:48:12 pm »

You think it makes sense for me to prioritize clothes and spirituality over spears and research halls?

Spears help you meet god faster but you need labcoats to do any real research so it is a tossup.
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: March 25, 2023, 08:22:09 pm »

I agree with the consensus of "Do it when it sounds Fun and Exciting."

I really wanted to get rolling on research first, but getting safer on food just makes much more sense.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: March 25, 2023, 08:46:59 pm »

True. One more irrigation would let me get 10 food from 3 labor, but maybe I should invest in irrigating everything I can. Being able to get 11 food from 3 labor will be also useful soon.

Sort of annoying that I'll be getting 1 spirituality per turn but needing 1.1. :p
I guess I can use food as a luxury instead for a turn and stock up on spirituality.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: March 25, 2023, 09:08:52 pm »

No, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't do it anyway.

Sort of annoying that I'll be getting 1 spirituality per turn but needing 1.1. :p
Presumably this does allow you to use another 0.1 clothes to get that +1, instead of needing 1.1 clothes.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: March 25, 2023, 09:11:07 pm »

I'm not sure if this is still possible, but in the previous game we were allowed to fulfill needs for the population partially with one resource and partially with another. IE: In the case of having 1 spirituality and 1 clothing but needing 1.1 of each, we also used a food, which provides .2 luxuries. To make up for the stop gap (9/11 gets spirituality+clothing 1/11 gets spirituality+food 1/11 gets clothing+food), I was going to ask if this was still allowed next turn, since I'll be in the same boat as you then :P.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: March 25, 2023, 09:15:22 pm »

Presumably this does allow you to use another 0.1 clothes to get that +1, instead of needing 1.1 clothes.

Nah, for a full +2 morale you need your population worth in two separate luxuries. Not sure if +1 can be gotten half and half, like 5 clothes and 6 luxury, but I'd like to shoot for the nice +2.

Bah, but I guess if beggars can't be choosers, I can live with the +1 for a while. It's just a difference of 1% growth. Need 4 luxuries or some outside interference for the good stuff.

At least assuming that the bonus from luxuries resets every turn. I don't remember if that was stated. And I don't think it's stated what our morale starts at either. Maybe we start with 1 morale but luxuries raise it permanently?

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: March 25, 2023, 09:16:46 pm »

I'm not sure if this is still possible, but in the previous game we were allowed to fulfill needs for the population partially with one resource and partially with another. IE: In the case of having 1 spirituality and 1 clothing but needing 1.1 of each, we also used a food, which provides .2 luxuries. To make up for the stop gap (9/11 gets spirituality+clothing 1/11 gets spirituality+food 1/11 gets clothing+food), I was going to ask if this was still allowed next turn, since I'll be in the same boat as you then :P.

Oh, yeah. Using an extra 1 or 2 food for that would make sense.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: March 25, 2023, 09:18:54 pm »

Completely relevantly what goes into attacking a City?

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: March 25, 2023, 09:19:08 pm »

Moral is stated in the moral spoiler in post 2 to start at 5. And although you're right its not technically stated anywhere that it decays I think it's a safe bet that it does :P

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: March 25, 2023, 09:21:49 pm »

Completely relevantly what goes into attacking a City?
Soldiers and Raiders go in a'takin' a city.
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: March 25, 2023, 09:25:55 pm »

Bah, but I guess if beggars can't be choosers, I can live with the +1 for a while. It's just a difference of 1% growth.

Yeah. I'm also not sure how much that 1% is really worth. When I first made my turn I thought that the shrine would take effect immediately, which meant I'd be hitting the +10% production mark. Which is certainly worth the effort I put into it. Now that I'm not, and just going to get +1% growth, I am wondering If should be doing things differently. Saving the clothing perhaps? Or attempting to make a clothiers workshop first? On the other hand, next turn I'll be able to hit that 10% mark, which will kick in on turn 3... Hmm. I'm not sure. But frankly it's probably too late too make any changes.

Although when writing this I did notice one thing, short of a event I don't think anyone but me will be hitting the 1.1 requirement next turn. Since everyone started at 10,000 population and the most you can gain on turn one is, afaik, 7%, so the most people can have next turn is 10,700. So at least you should, if I did that logic right, not have to worry about it next turn?

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: March 25, 2023, 09:38:48 pm »

More pop growth is always nice, sure, but there's also that looming softcap at 12k.  I'm not sure how that works (maybe we can get some clarification) but it'll slow growth somehow.  The big boost is that 10% production which needs +3 morale off base, needing four luxuries.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: March 25, 2023, 09:45:51 pm »

More pop growth is always nice, sure, but there's also that looming softcap at 12k.  I'm not sure how that works (maybe we can get some clarification) but it'll slow growth somehow.  The big boost is that 10% production which needs +3 morale off base, needing four luxuries.

-1% growth after you hit 12,000 or 16,000 population, with an additional -1% growth for every 1000 people. You'll get your full growth from the turn you started before that, even if it's 11,999.
Which means that the Town Hall is another case where a "just in time" building makes a decent amount of sense.
I'm going to label buildings that take effect immediately with a * in the reference post.

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 19