Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 112 113 [114] 115 116 ... 143

Author Topic: Emotional Responses to War in Ukraine - Trollbait 2.0  (Read 103139 times)

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
Re: Emotional Responses to War in Ukraine - Trollbait 2.0
« Reply #1695 on: January 11, 2024, 11:22:26 pm »

I saw a news headline about some people in Moscow not having heat right now, but what's actually happening?  I know Ukraine has hit some stuff in Russia, but they haven't caused any significant damage to Russian infrastructure have they?

There is also using any excuse to siphon money. If a Mayor's city is hit with a Ukrainian drone, they can claim that Ukraine destroyed 20% of the fuel generators, then sell the oil they're not using to line their own pockets.  Even if the missile only destroyed an abandoned barn next to the fuel generators....

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1697 on: January 12, 2024, 02:08:49 pm »

10% reduction.

Wooooooow.

Are Western governments actually going after the companies that are subverting the sanctions? I can't recall ever seeing anyone getting punished for it, despite everyone knowing it's going on.

EDIT:
The researchers called on Western lawmakers to step up restrictions on countries acting as third-party sellers, and to encourage the private sector to regulate itself better to comply with sanctions.

Oh yeah, self-regulation in the private sector, well known for working.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2024, 02:10:36 pm by Great Order »
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1698 on: January 12, 2024, 02:24:48 pm »

To be fair, 70% of the US components are bought by China and sold to Russia.

But yes, US industry isn't gonna cut it's profits just to help .. anyone really.

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1699 on: January 12, 2024, 03:35:10 pm »

Read today how Russians are queueing* Soviet-style for eggs and chicken meat.  Clown-King Putin says there is no shortage but rather demand has gone up because Russians are better off.  Yeah right, haha haha...

* Went for the longer form since the queues are looonnnggg.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #1700 on: January 12, 2024, 03:41:40 pm »

The implication there that they’d have enough at home and thus not need queue…
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1701 on: January 12, 2024, 11:21:52 pm »

Oh no... it is definitely that Russians are more wealthy so they want twice as many eggs and chicken meat, so the actual problem is the slow-to-respond chicken and egg industries.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?
     and
If you're going to kill me, I'm allowed to scream.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1702 on: January 12, 2024, 11:28:06 pm »

Not to mention the complete gridlock of Russian poultry industry because no one dares to decide what to send first, the chicken or the egg
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1703 on: January 13, 2024, 04:28:31 am »

It feels like Putin is trying really hard to become Stalin, hopefully someone does something about him before he's able to enact his own version of The Great Purge.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1704 on: January 13, 2024, 11:59:27 am »

Wow, some Russian citizens burned down a massive warehouse in St. Petersburg. Sounds like some of the population is indeed getting in a mood to do something.  Sounds like it was just consumer goods though... too bad it wasn't a military warehouse.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #1705 on: January 13, 2024, 12:15:33 pm »

Wow, some Russian citizens burned down a massive warehouse in St. Petersburg. Sounds like some of the population is indeed getting in a mood to do something.  Sounds like it was just consumer goods though... too bad it wasn't a military warehouse.
I wonder if it had anything to do with Russian police raiding warehouses to search for draft dodgers to nab

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1706 on: January 13, 2024, 03:19:10 pm »

As far as I know, it is merely a version of ho the fire started. Also, the fire happened in a warehouse of Russian "Amazon" that treats its workers far worse than the real Amazon (yes, it is possible) so it may be revenge not against the government but against the company
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
« Reply #1707 on: January 13, 2024, 08:32:14 pm »

If it is anti-government partisans, I'm disappointed in the choice of target tbh. This does nothing to hurt the war effort, all it does is inconvenience people and destroy thousands of items for no good reason.
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1708 on: January 13, 2024, 10:33:58 pm »

If it is anti-government partisans, I'm disappointed in the choice of target tbh. This does nothing to hurt the war effort, all it does is inconvenience people and destroy thousands of items for no good reason.
Oh, I would not be so quick to discount the harm that destroying a commercial warehouse could do to the war effort.

1) The military needs consumer goods also.
2) The military probably subcontracts its logistical consumer goods needs to civilian organizations.
3) Even if this does no harm to the military, anything that pisses off the loyal citizens will help the war effort.

Without a news article (why is there no news article?!), I would still say this is a decent anti-government attack. Of course, maybe it was the Russian government itself.

"Russian officials, cited by state news agency TASS, said Wildberries had obtained permission to construct the warehouse, but not to operate it."
Nevermind, it was the Russian government. They probably figured that if they burned down the warehouse, they could draft the surviving employees.

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
« Reply #1709 on: January 14, 2024, 12:24:14 am »

Eh. Fair enough. I'd still have picked something different and/or more directly military.
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?
Pages: 1 ... 112 113 [114] 115 116 ... 143