Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 72 73 [74] 75 76 ... 143

Author Topic: Emotional Responses to War in Ukraine - Trollbait 2.0  (Read 103178 times)

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
Re: Emotional Responses to War in Ukraine - Trollbait 2.0
« Reply #1095 on: July 12, 2023, 04:45:01 pm »

* I could swear I've actually seen some kind of psychology studies that even sorta' support the sentiment, if you squint real hard.
Yeah, it's the MSM designation - Men who have sex with men. Differentiating the activity from sexual attraction or identity.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1096 on: July 13, 2023, 03:26:38 am »

Russian foreign minister Lavrov said that if the West supplies F16s to Ukraine, Russia will consider that a nuclear threat, because the F16 can theoretically be armed with nuclear weapons. Nevermind that Ukraine does not have nukes and never asked for them either.

"The US and it's NATO allies are creating the risk of a direct military confontation with Russia with catastrophic consequences".

Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1097 on: July 13, 2023, 04:13:07 am »

I don't really see why the US would listen to that, since Russia has gone and shown itself to be a paper tiger, probably got cardboard nukes to go with their army that's as strong as wet cardboard.

Also it doesn't surprise me that they rape each other.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #1098 on: July 13, 2023, 04:15:59 am »

Russian Lieutenant General Oleg Tsokov got Storm Shadowed in occupied Berdyansk. We had no dead Russian generals for quite some time.
In November 2010, the Investigative Committee of Russia charged Tsokov with committing fraud and abuse of power during his period in command of the 228th Regiment. The case involved a deal in which he illegally promised eleven conscripts early demobilization in return for signing service contracts, then embezzled 80,000 rubles from the soldiers' contract signing bonuses.

This case did not affect his career (LOL) and in 2011 Tsokov was transferred to serve as chief of staff and deputy commander of the 33rd Separate Motor Rifle Brigade of the 49th Combined Arms Army of the Southern Military District, based at Maykop.

Ukraine is very lucky Putin encouraged the total rot of its own army

Russian Colonel Alexander Denisov - in charge of providing technical support for the armored vehicles of the Russian Southern Military District - was arrested in March and charged with stealing seven V-92S2 engines from T-90 battle tanks entrusted to his care, according to Moscow’s ‘Kommersant’ newspaper.

Commentators have been reporting for decades that corruption was endemic within its defense industrial sector and armed forces, at every level from the Kremlin down to the lowliest foot soldier.

A 2005 report by the Norwegian Defense Research Establishment quoted reports from the Russian Audit Chamber Chairman that in the pre-Putin days as much as 21 percent of the military budget was lost, mainly by the theft of equipment. After Putin took over it was estimated that as much as 50 percent of the funds allocated to Russia’s Defense budget was simply stolen.

Ruslan Pukhov of the Moscow-based Center for the Analysis of Strategy and Technology gave the example that in 2004 Russian foreign defense sales raised approximately $5.5 billion of which, he estimated less than 20 percent made its way back into the budget.

Notable cases of Russian corruption were seen throughout the 1990s, including the Russian general dismissed for selling UN fuel while deployed to Kosovo and reports of Russian soldiers deployed to Chechnya selling their weapons to Chechen fighters.
At this rate Ukraine should probably avoid targeting General Oligarskies and Major Kleptovskies

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1100 on: July 13, 2023, 11:03:37 am »

Russian major general says he was dismissed after reporting on army problems

Heh, more of this, please.
The General that just died was in the same unit.

He probably wanted out of the unit that just lost it's other commanding officer to a missile attack.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #1101 on: July 13, 2023, 11:49:51 am »

There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1102 on: July 13, 2023, 12:52:52 pm »

It's not the Israeli army
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1103 on: July 14, 2023, 10:46:50 am »

They have been running out of money for over a year now. They've been using closed markets and other tricks to artificially inflate the ruble and hide the problem, but they're running out of tricks.

It is sad that, unlike Russian generals, people in charge of the Russian economy are actually fairly competent and aren't under the direct control of Putin.
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1104 on: July 14, 2023, 01:33:16 pm »

Uh oh, US Military Funding is in trouble.
https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2023/07/14/politics/house-ndaa-vote-amendments/index.html

In related news, GOP Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene of Georgia is confirmed to be a Deep Cover Russian Agent...
She's a traitor to Both Georgias.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #1105 on: July 15, 2023, 02:03:46 am »

These amendments weren't something shoved in to get support, they got forced in by a minority of hardline nutcases who have vastly disproportionate power because the GOP majority in the House is so narrow - if the 8 nutjobs that make up the MTG wing decided to boycott proceedings in protest, the Dems would have the ability to dethrone McCarthy and put in a Dem Speaker. Note that four Republicans voted against the revised bill, and four Democrats voted for it (presumably because having it outright fail would be Bad).

This bill now proceeds to the Senate, and the Senate does not have to just do an up or down vote on what the House gives them. They can alter the bill as much as they want, it just doesn't go to the President until after both houses of Congress have passed the same version. More importantly, a bill that comes from the Senate, even one that originated in the House, is not vulnerable to the same sort of procedural shenanigans that a bill originating in the House is. Forcing a simple up-down vote on the Senate version is trivial, and an otherwise identical bill without MTG's amendments will be very popular on both sides of the aisle. Note that the Senate is not only Dem majority (if only just), a fair chunk of the GOP senators are from the wing of the party that isn't deeply invested in the Culture War (which is an explicit reason why Senate terms are so long - insulation from random political fads) and aren't likely to want to jeopardize the military in order to please the nutty obsession of the week.

What's going to happen is that the bill will go to the Senate, all of the stupid amendments will get stripped out, then it will go back to the House and get rubberstamped in the Senate form.

On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1106 on: July 15, 2023, 03:57:39 am »

In related news, GOP Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene of Georgia is confirmed to be a Deep Cover Russian Agent...
You'd think people in the US would be able to sniff out a Russian agent before it could even do anything, guess that means they've gone soft on the whole Russia hate thing since the USSR fell.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1107 on: July 15, 2023, 02:51:08 pm »

Oligarchs of a feather flock together.
Ironblood didn't use an axe because he needed it. He used it to be kind. And right now he wasn't being kind.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1108 on: July 15, 2023, 04:18:53 pm »

You'd think people in the US would be able to sniff out a Russian agent before it could even do anything, guess that means they've gone soft on the whole Russia hate thing since the USSR fell.
They really have

Extreme Right sees more solidarity with Russia than with their own country. They're also funded by Russia...

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1109 on: July 16, 2023, 05:03:15 am »

They really have

Extreme Right sees more solidarity with Russia than with their own country. They're also funded by Russia...
It's like they've forgotten the faces of their fathers.
Pages: 1 ... 72 73 [74] 75 76 ... 143