Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: tree growth could use a nerf  (Read 1789 times)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
tree growth could use a nerf
« on: January 14, 2023, 04:14:42 pm »

Even if you embark on a place which has sparse tree growth, in just a few game years it will be a dense jungle with how fast new trees spawn.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

NPK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: tree growth could use a nerf
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2023, 06:25:08 pm »

I agree, I've taken to embarking in forests so the tree growth feela leas significant.

Maybe an embark's number of trees should have a cap, or saplings should be unable to grow within a certain number of tiles from a grown tree.

0x517A5D

• Bay Watcher
  • Hex Editor‬‬
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2023, 10:16:26 pm »

I've taken to building single-tile dirt roads over saplings.  Sometimes I'll maintain a forested area, other times I just clobber them all.

or saplings should be unable to grow within a certain number of tiles from a grown tree.
This is already true.  Saplings cannot become trees if there is tree canopy overhead.

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2023, 03:57:47 am »

I like the fast grow, because it allows to create maintained forests, both on the surface and underground. Tree growth is easy to prevent (with roads of different kind), and trees can be cleared by ballistas without creating logs - and I suppose without the agitation, though I haven't met agitated animals yet.

I would accept nerfing tree growth rate if there was a way to plant trees though.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2023, 04:49:18 am »

I would accept nerfing tree growth rate if there was a way to plant trees though.

I already try to preserve what trees are on embark, so the fast growth of trees is beneficial to the ones set aside in orchards (unless inconveniently placed) and clearing away regenerating dead saplings, which shouldn't be growing. All it would require is less micromanagement of clearing samplings with the existing method, and keeping ontop of sapling growth removal/collection to make the tree growing process a lot more organized.

EmperorCoolidge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2023, 11:27:02 am »

I wouldn't mind so much if not for:
A: Default Elves being much stingier (25? I can't even keep my walls clear with 25 you stupid hippie)
B: Sudden Woodcutter Death Syndrome

ArmokGoB

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2023, 04:46:21 pm »

There should be a limit to the amount of trees that can exist above ground that is dependent on the "Trees" value of the subregion.
Cyclopes, prepare to meet your demise at the metaphorical hands of my cushion ruby cabochons.

Panando

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2023, 04:51:57 pm »

I embarked on a joyous wilds forest, 3x3, and decided after a while to cut down all the trees for FPS reasons (it really improved the FPS), but I was seriously impressed by how quickly the trees grew back, like I couldn't cut them down and haul the logs in fast enough to keep up with the growth, of course constant attacks from giant agitated birds didn't help with my project to collect all the logs, but yeah, I'd clear-cut the map and a few minutes later the trees would be back, it was truly a war on nature.
Punch through a multi-z aquifer in under 5 minutes, video walkthrough. I post as /u/BlakeMW on reddit.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Gaxxian

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2023, 06:30:08 pm »

It should be a limit on trees D: In narrow caverns, with just one or two years you cannot move anymore there xD

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2023, 04:17:37 pm »

There should be a limit to the amount of trees that can exist above ground that is dependent on the "Trees" value of the subregion.
It should be a limit on trees D: In narrow caverns, with just one or two years you cannot move anymore there xD
Agreed to both.  This should be the solution for above ground and below ground, in my opinion, as well.

dirkdragonslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Modder, Proficient Failure
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2023, 11:58:09 am »

A: Default Elves being much stingier (25? I can't even keep my walls clear with 25 you stupid hippie)

Sudden woodcutter death has been very inconsistent for me. On heavily forested map with big trees it's been fine, no deaths. I had the logging industry in full production to produce loads of charcoal and bins. On a mountaintop with the small spindly trees, I have lost 4 or 5 woodcutters so far.
"Games come and go, and we all get tired of some games after time, but Dwarf Fortress seems to grab me by the leg every couple months and drags me back with it's bloody, ASCII claw. I think this game has given me Stockholm syndrome, but I love it so, and it's simplistic style yet extremely complex mechanics are like fine art, like a beautifully crafted ☼Cave Spider Silk Sock☼" - Dirk 3/31/2014
TAIL SHOOOOES!

rhavviepoodle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2023, 12:32:07 pm »

My last fort, I had two forgotten beasts who were straight up stuck because the part of the cavern they entered through was simply closed off. I nicknamed them Mr. Stuck and Ms. Stuck. Unlike pretty much every other FB, they were spared from the bloodthirsty bat people.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2023, 06:42:22 pm »

Sudden woodcutter death has been very inconsistent for me. On heavily forested map with big trees it's been fine, no deaths. I had the logging industry in full production to produce loads of charcoal and bins. On a mountaintop with the small spindly trees, I have lost 4 or 5 woodcutters so far.

I've seen other people mention that dead trees like that can cause collapses on their own (where normally tree collapses only come from logs falling onto the limbs of other trees which are subsequently cut).

Haven't tested it myself yet.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable