Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: (Steam version) Hospitals: What am I doing wrong?  (Read 4014 times)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
Re: (Steam version) Hospitals: What am I doing wrong?
« Reply #30 on: December 29, 2022, 01:32:25 am »

1. Surgery, bone doctoring and diagnostician are not in fact on by default, only wound dressing and suturing, neither of which have any issues with those with no skills doing them except speed. Fishing is also off-by-default, if that wasn't clear.
Wow, it's almost like the labor detail interface is so oblique that it's impossible to tell at a glance whether the behavior they observed was because of a change in default labor assignments or something else! Gee, I can't possibly imagine that being trouble for people who are actually new to the game!

2. If you really think work details are worse than the old system, you either haven't used the old system or you didn't even try to use the new one before going to complain about it

(I will note that I meant to say "worse than the old system WITH DT", not "without", which is a rather substantial difference lol.)

The work detail system is, despite the current flaws, certainly better than the old system without utility assistance. If the various issues with functionality and clarity get fixed (inability to change default details or even see what they cover, inability to see more than 6 assigned details on a dwarf, lack of labor-relevant icons for custom details) and we get overview pages for combat skills paralleling labor it will be better than Dwarf Therapist for checking stats, organizing labor, and distributing migrants. The "top skill" when selecting new squad members is helpful but it's not nearly as good as being able to cross-reference labor and combat skills without spending fifteen minute looking at individual dwarfs one by one and trying to remember the names of the ones you want to enlist.

I'm not saying that it's not on the right track or that it will not be better once it's more refined and fleshed out, but pretending that it's already perfect and trying to belittle people who don't play along isn't helpful.

3. It's set up that way because most skills literally do not matter at all and people shouldn't have to assign labor to 150 dwarves for their fortress to function at a basic level
I completely agree and can't wait for it to be fully functional, but right now I spend as much time swapping details around as I would clicking cells in DT, with an overall loss in data visibility. I'd rather have an ugly compact micromanaging interface with all the information I need than a pretty top-level but heavily layered interface with about a third of the information I need visible at any one time.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2022, 01:36:22 am by Flying Dice »

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 29, 2022, 03:32:35 am »

trying to remember the names of the ones you want to enlist.

Nicknames or custom professions solve that part.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 29, 2022, 09:42:53 am »

trying to remember the names of the ones you want to enlist.

Nicknames or custom professions solve that part.

No offense, but adding two more steps to a process which is already a bunch of tedious skipping back and forth between different menus doesn't strike me as a solution. Might as well just have a notepad file open and type in partial names there, because then there's no need to go back and remove the nickname or detail afterwards.

Actually, that kinda brings up another point -- if we're going to do everything through popup windows with no hotkeys and partial information on each, why can we only have one window open at once?

3. Run Resize Enable

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 29, 2022, 11:01:38 pm »

@Flying Dice
You used to be able to choose a squad directly from the unit 'v'iew screens, instead of needing to go to the military screen to do it. That is what is missing, the ability to choose the squad for the dwarf, instead of choosing the dwarf for the squad. But, not really hospital-related.
Quote from: dragdeler
There is something to be said about, if the stakes are as high, maybe reconsider your certitudes. One has to be aggressively allistic to feel entitled to be able to trust. But it won't happen to me, my bit doesn't count etc etc... Just saying, after my recent experiences I couldn't trust the public if I wanted to. People got their risk assessment neurons rotten and replaced with game theory. Folks walk around like fat turkeys taunting the world to slaughter them.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 30, 2022, 06:39:43 am »

No offense, but adding two more steps to a process which is already a bunch of tedious skipping back and forth between different menus doesn't strike me as a solution. Might as well just have a notepad file open and type in partial names there, because then there's no need to go back and remove the nickname or detail afterwards.

Actually, that kinda brings up another point -- if we're going to do everything through popup windows with no hotkeys and partial information on each, why can we only have one window open at once?

This is all accessible from the dwarf's overview screen. You can see a dwarf's skills and name their profession "Axedwarf". Then you can go to the squad menu later* and put all your non-squad "Axedwarf"s in a squad. You don't have to remove the profession name afterwards if it's correct.

*I'm pretty sure you can actually have the squad menu open at the same time as the overview.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 01, 2023, 07:22:00 pm »

i think it would be better to just add search to more places though

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 01, 2023, 10:21:48 pm »

@Flying Dice
You used to be able to choose a squad directly from the unit 'v'iew screens, instead of needing to go to the military screen to do it. That is what is missing, the ability to choose the squad for the dwarf, instead of choosing the dwarf for the squad. But, not really hospital-related.
Yes, I know.

Putnam's basically got it, though, we just need things to be properly accessible and cross-referenced in every window where they're relevant. Same should apply to room assignments, i.e. assigning medical staff to hospital should be either picking dwarfs from the zone or picking a zone and role from the dwarf. Same deal for performers, assigning squads to barracks, marking animals to butcher/train from their unit window in addition to the pets/livestock tab, &c.

3. Run Resize Enable
Pages: 1 2 [3]