Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: (Steam version) Hospitals: What am I doing wrong?  (Read 4001 times)

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
(Steam version) Hospitals: What am I doing wrong?
« on: December 23, 2022, 02:45:38 pm »

So I've got a hospital set up. It's small but fairly well-stocked, with beds and a table and a traction bench. The chest is loaded with as many supplies as I can spare from the main stockpile. There's a well to clean water right outside (it's a well I'm quite proud of, but that's not relevant here). One of my migrants is a trained doctor with solid skills in diagnostics and treatments, so I made him chief medical dwarf. Seasons passed and the hospital went unused.

Then one day, a giant toad appeared in the caverns. It jumped some of my dwarfs, and while most acquitted themselves well against the creature one of my miners got somewhat mauled. She got a mangled eye and a broken leg. The CMD was nearby and hauled her up to the hospital, which was great! What happened next, not so much; he decided to run off and do other jobs. I canceled those jobs several times but he always found something else to do. I tried going into the hospital menu and making the CMD a diagnostician. He continued to ignore the wounded miner. I made him a doctor and assigned a couple of random dwarfs to diagnostics just to try and improve the odds of someone getting to work. One of the new diagnosticians moved to the hospital but just hung out with no job, the others continued doing fortress tasks. Around this point my miner got out of bed, cleaned herself at the well, and returned to work with a health screen still showing injuries.

I'm not really sure what to do here. I thought my hospital was set up properly but when my fort finally had injuries everyone seemed to decide it wasn't worth bothering with. What should I do?
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

armads

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: (Steam version) Hospitals: What am I doing wrong?
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2022, 08:01:37 pm »

honestly you're not the only one that's noticed this.

I had a dwarf get his beatings from the hammerer, only for him to lay in bed bleeding while the doctor sat around with 'no job.'

It's rather odd.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2022, 08:40:39 pm »

I had the same problem, but it rectified itself once i added the doctors to the default doctor assignment in the hospital details screen
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2022, 09:06:47 pm »

I did assign the chief medical dwarf a doctor slot, but according to the wiki doctors won't do anything unless a patient gets diagnosed first, and it doesn't look like I can assign a single dwarf to multiple roles in the hospital. Was kinda hoping the CMD would just default to doing any jobs needed but it doesn't appear to work that way.

el Indio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2022, 09:07:31 pm »

I had the same problem, but it rectified itself once i added the doctors to the default doctor assignment in the hospital details screen
I also had problems with hospitals.  I added a diagnostician in the hospital details screen but a dwarf can only be assigned to one role at a time, so unless you have an abundance of medical dwarfs all the positions can't be filled.  The generic term 'doctor' does seem to indicate it covers everything, but I didn't test that.  The solution for me was to create a custom labor in the labor menu, via the 'add new work detail' button, and select healthcare.  You might want to seperate out 'recover wounded' and 'feed patients/prisoners'.  Then set it to 'only selected do this' and add your medical dwarfs.  I believe the preset 'orderly' labor covers recovering and feeding, as even without a doctor doing anything wounded were getting recovered and dwarfs were fetching water for them.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2022, 09:19:43 pm »

That's a good idea, I'll try that.

My chief medical dwarf is quite good at all sorts of medical skills, which is nice. I'd like him to diagnose and treat, but I guess he can't do everything.

el Indio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2022, 09:28:35 pm »

A custom healthcare labor will include all aspects of the hospital.  It should probably be one of the existing presets, i'm sure this will be a problem for new (and newly returned) players for the forseable future otherwise.  It isn't very intuitive.

Lexyvil

• Bay Watcher
  • Serenading the folk.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2022, 10:34:06 pm »

I noticed that some of the healthcare labours don't do anything (which ones, I'm not sure, haven't fully tested). It's as if we absolutely have to assign them to zones now. Whether that's intentional, I don't know...
My post ends here.

el Indio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2022, 11:25:06 pm »

I noticed that some of the healthcare labours don't do anything (which ones, I'm not sure, haven't fully tested). It's as if we absolutely have to assign them to zones now. Whether that's intentional, I don't know...
I haven't noticed any dwarf performing Surgery, but Suturing, Bone Setting and Wound Dressing are definitely working without being assigned from the hospital zone.  The only thing I had assigned directly from the hospital zone was Diagnosis, and I'm not even sure that is required if there are dwarfs assigned to the custom healthcare labor I set up.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2022, 11:33:52 pm »

Do the dwarves have to be set only to the healthcare labor (turning everything else off), or is just having the special labor assigned to them enough to bump it up their personal priority lists?

el Indio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2022, 01:37:50 am »

Do the dwarves have to be set only to the healthcare labor (turning everything else off), or is just having the special labor assigned to them enough to bump it up their personal priority lists?
I didn't change anything else, the medical dwarfs were still included in the labors set to 'everybody does this', like hauling, plant gathering and engraving etc.. I would assume medical has a high priority, everything was done in a timely manner once I had it all worked out. 

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2022, 01:39:42 am »

1. Doctors are the general assignment--it includes all below, including diagnostician.
2. Orderlies are the ones recovering wounded.

I haven't noticed any dwarf performing Surgery, but Suturing, Bone Setting and Wound Dressing are definitely working without being assigned from the hospital zone.  The only thing I had assigned directly from the hospital zone was Diagnosis, and I'm not even sure that is required if there are dwarfs assigned to the custom healthcare labor I set up.

Suturing and wound dressing are both orderly work.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2022, 02:34:15 am »

I had 10 or 12 dwarfs in the hospital, had the problems, read this thread, and set up a "Medics" Work Detail with 3 dwarfs. After most of the work done, 8 dwarfs were still in the hospital so I reviewed their medical histories and noted who did what.

Diagnosing, Bone Setting, and Surgery, appear to only be done by dwarfs that arrived with levels in the skill or were assigned to the hospital positions (with Doctor doing all three of the other jobs)

I'm not sure that the creation of the custom work detail enabled the skills on those dwarfs, because there were 40 something jobs involving diagnosis or bonesetting and the dwarf that was part of the custom work group but not assigned to the hospital staff didn't participate in any Diagnosis, Bone setting, or Surgery jobs, which were all done by the two dwarfs that were assigned to the hospital staff. But, maybe he was in a workshop or sleeping, or did work on patients who ran off before the review.
Quote from: dragdeler
There is something to be said about, if the stakes are as high, maybe reconsider your certitudes. One has to be aggressively allistic to feel entitled to be able to trust. But it won't happen to me, my bit doesn't count etc etc... Just saying, after my recent experiences I couldn't trust the public if I wanted to. People got their risk assessment neurons rotten and replaced with game theory. Folks walk around like fat turkeys taunting the world to slaughter them.

el Indio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2022, 03:19:42 am »

1. Doctors are the general assignment--it includes all below, including diagnostician.
2. Orderlies are the ones recovering wounded.

Suturing and wound dressing are both orderly work.
So assigning a dwarf to the doctor position in a hospital zone should be enough to make everything work?

And how do you know what is included in the preset work details?  I can't see any way to check this info.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2022, 04:41:16 am »

I used DFHack (an early alpha that doesn't work for much) to edit the flags of the existing work details, found the flag that makes them uneditable, then checked what they contained via editing them. Also asked the Toady One, but double checked myself.
Pages: [1] 2 3