Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6

Author Topic: Steam: Labor  (Read 7920 times)

Mohreb el Yasim

• Bay Watcher
  • ♫♪♫♫♪♫♪♪♫♪
    • View Profile
Re: Steam: Labor
« Reply #60 on: January 11, 2023, 02:11:50 am »

There are a few  information /subject I can not find with the new system. If someone knows please clarify :
Dwarves often have a need to "craft". Does the automatic selection knows about this, and will occasionally assign jobs "for those in need"?
If so how does it know that "enfrust with green glass" is a training job, and the emcrust with black diamond is only meant for the legendary?
Are personalities taken into account or only raw skill?
Beside this I think the only two things "mandatory" with the new system are (without changing its direction which I am neither for nor against) :
Show / delete /reset the "stock" categories for more flexibility.
Choose an icon for new groups (as I-IX is neither helpful nor easy to read)
Mohreb el Yasim

GENERATION 24:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experime

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 11, 2023, 01:54:46 pm »

I also don't know if the labor system considers the dwarf's need to craft. My solution to that uncertainty is 6 craft shops and a "produce 6 bone crafts each season" order. It would be great if personality played a role and two dwarfs started a fist fight over who would get to do the work.
Quote from: dragdeler
There is something to be said about, if the stakes are as high, maybe reconsider your certitudes. One has to be aggressively allistic to feel entitled to be able to trust. But it won't happen to me, my bit doesn't count etc etc... Just saying, after my recent experiences I couldn't trust the public if I wanted to. People got their risk assessment neurons rotten and replaced with game theory. Folks walk around like fat turkeys taunting the world to slaughter them.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 11, 2023, 02:31:35 pm »

I also don't know if the labor system considers the dwarf's need to craft. My solution to that uncertainty is 6 craft shops and a "produce 6 bone crafts each season" order. It would be great if personality played a role and two dwarfs started a fist fight over who would get to do the work.

I can imagine and probably would be invested if a complete opposite could be experienced in lazy individuals who would 'pass' work over unless they were forced to more motivated individuals. Which would work against the workshop-master system in a dynamic way.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 11, 2023, 03:31:07 pm »

There are a few  information /subject I can not find with the new system. If someone knows please clarify :
Dwarves often have a need to "craft". Does the automatic selection knows about this, and will occasionally assign jobs "for those in need"?

No, and the rest of the answers are basically just "it only accounts for raw skill". It takes the highest skilled available dwarf, basically.

No bug, it's just terribly unclear. Fact of the matter is: work details have essentially no effect on doctoring labors. Assignment to a hospital is basically the only thing that matters here. You don't need to make a custom work detail for it and it will override any work details you have set up.
Trying to work out why something is or isn't working is hard.  It might be that the dwarf simply doesn't feel like performing an action like diagnosing, but the player is left to wonder if they have done something wrong.

Is there any downside to making a work detail for healthcare?  Does it help with Guilds and teaching other dwarfs?

Other problem is that work details don't update the instant you assign doctors, meaning that the doctor labor isn't activated until you change a work detail, any work detail at all. This should be fixed for 50.06

Magnus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 11, 2023, 05:38:48 pm »

Other problem is that work details don't update the instant you assign doctors, meaning that the doctor labor isn't activated until you change a work detail, any work detail at all. This should be fixed for 50.06

Ahhhhhh. This explains it - one of my initial 7 fell down a hole and needed diagnosing. I set the expedition leader and two other beards as Doctor, Diagnostician and Bone Doctor in the makeshift hospital, but not a thing happened until I made a work detail and enabled all Healthcare jobs on them.

So apparently those jobs don't do anything, but the fact that they got a new work detail assigned to them at all made their new positions in the hospital take effect?

One odd thing though - the Doctor was the one doing the diagnosing. I would have loved for that to be the Diagnostician, who was also present but had No Job. So I guess that their job details do matter, because the Doctor did have Diagnostician enabled?

Honestly I would like it if the Hospital assignment was a hard requirement for them to do anything at all in that specific field, as in, only dwarves assigned as Diagnostician in that hospital will ever diagnose anyone there, and it is the Diagnostician who does it, not the Doctor (what does the Doctor even do?)

I also would love to be able to make the chief medical dwarf actually work as a doctor, currently I think he's excluded from the position lists in the hospital, which makes me wonder what he actually does.

Other than that - absolutely love the new system. Especially that it suggests the most suitable candidates based on proficiency is golden. I would love for some way to select a dwarf's page from that screen and then jump back to Labor, but it's still a big improvement.
Ilrom Ziril - The Peak of Fire:
An epic saga of weregophers and volcano gods.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=148021.0

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 11, 2023, 05:50:18 pm »

Ahhhhhh. This explains it - one of my initial 7 fell down a hole and needed diagnosing. I set the expedition leader and two other beards as Doctor, Diagnostician and Bone Doctor in the makeshift hospital, but not a thing happened until I made a work detail and enabled all Healthcare jobs on them.

So apparently those jobs don't do anything, but the fact that they got a new work detail assigned to them at all made their new positions in the hospital take effect?

One odd thing though - the Doctor was the one doing the diagnosing. I would have loved for that to be the Diagnostician, who was also present but had No Job. So I guess that their job details do matter, because the Doctor did have Diagnostician enabled?

Honestly I would like it if the Hospital assignment was a hard requirement for them to do anything at all in that specific field, as in, only dwarves assigned as Diagnostician in that hospital will ever diagnose anyone there, and it is the Diagnostician who does it, not the Doctor (what does the Doctor even do?)

I also would love to be able to make the chief medical dwarf actually work as a doctor, currently I think he's excluded from the position lists in the hospital, which makes me wonder what he actually does.

Other than that - absolutely love the new system. Especially that it suggests the most suitable candidates based on proficiency is golden. I would love for some way to select a dwarf's page from that screen and then jump back to Labor, but it's still a big improvement.

Doctor is literally just "all of the below", there's no other logic here. Specialized ones aren't prioritized unless they have a higher skill.

You can make the chief medical dwarf a doctor. There's no restriction.

el Indio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 11, 2023, 09:03:03 pm »

Are there other sorts of problems with the work details?  I've noticed a lot of jobs get allocated then cancelled.  I started following dwarfs around to see what they were up to (mainly the manager) and noticed that some labors seem to override others, mainly planting/harvesting jobs.  Dwarves would get a job such as pick up item, walk almost all the way there then turn around and go back to harvest.  The manager is quite important and I was wondering why they weren't doing their manager job.  The text would appear in their description "manage work orders", but on the way to the office it would get overridden by something else.  Watching the wagon when I first arrive and set up a stockpile inside to move everything to, I can see the icon that means an item is scheduled to be hauled, but the icons keep appearing then disappearing, then appearing again.  Based on my other observations I'm left to wonder if a dwarf is walking halfway to the wagon then gettting distracted by some other job.  I haven't really done anything with work details yet, beyond making a healthcare labor (which isn't necessary) and turning off fishing.  I also haven't played for several years and I might just be forgetting that this is always how the game worked.

Mohreb el Yasim

• Bay Watcher
  • ♫♪♫♫♪♫♪♪♫♪
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 12, 2023, 01:13:10 am »

No, and the rest of the answers are basically just "it only accounts for raw skill". It takes the highest skilled available dwarf, basically.

So if i want to have all dwarves "extra happy" i need to set up a workshop for each and assign craft jobs manually from time to time?
Ain't that a bit "against" the less micro mind set? It would be nice to have a few more "indication" on jobs, (like "hobby jobs" for dwarves in need of crafting, and also a generalized "materiel" setting for jobs too.)
Mohreb el Yasim

GENERATION 24:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experime

Magnus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 12, 2023, 04:24:32 am »

Are there other sorts of problems with the work details?  I've noticed a lot of jobs get allocated then cancelled.  I started following dwarfs around to see what they were up to (mainly the manager) and noticed that some labors seem to override others, mainly planting/harvesting jobs.  Dwarves would get a job such as pick up item, walk almost all the way there then turn around and go back to harvest.

Plants, specifically fruit trees, are notorious for mesmerizing every single dwarf into standing under them for eternities. They generate a ton of hauling jobs, and the jobs are generated if the zone is active when the tree fruits, so even if you remove the zone afterwards they will keep collecting the fruits because the jobs are still there.

It has been this way since those trees were  added, in 42 or possibly earlier I think. You should only have one or two trees set as fruit zones, and a limited number of fruit gatherers with gathering set to Only Selected Do This.

el Indio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 12, 2023, 08:17:18 am »

Are there other sorts of problems with the work details?  I've noticed a lot of jobs get allocated then cancelled.  I started following dwarfs around to see what they were up to (mainly the manager) and noticed that some labors seem to override others, mainly planting/harvesting jobs.  Dwarves would get a job such as pick up item, walk almost all the way there then turn around and go back to harvest.

Plants, specifically fruit trees, are notorious for mesmerizing every single dwarf into standing under them for eternities. They generate a ton of hauling jobs, and the jobs are generated if the zone is active when the tree fruits, so even if you remove the zone afterwards they will keep collecting the fruits because the jobs are still there.

It has been this way since those trees were  added, in 42 or possibly earlier I think. You should only have one or two trees set as fruit zones, and a limited number of fruit gatherers with gathering set to Only Selected Do This.
I've run into the fruit zone thing, didn't make one on this fort.  I also disabled jobs for this dwarf (they are a woodcutter and manager) but they still cancel tasks to go harvest plants.  I'm thinking maybe the manager job may be part of the problem, I assigned another dwarf to woodcutting and they went straight out and cut down the trees, I didn't even disable labors for that dwarf. 

Here is a pic of their work details menu in game, showing they are set to only do assigned tasks but having a harvest plants job:
https://imgur.com/a/wR1fGC8
« Last Edit: January 12, 2023, 08:19:27 am by el Indio »

Magnus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 12, 2023, 09:22:53 am »

Ah. Go to Standing Orders tab. Turn off "Everyone Harvests", set it to Farmers only.

The good thing is this trains your farmers to harvest bigger stacks from farm plots, so you get more food and beer.

The bad thing is it keeps them busy so they might ignore indoor farms to go look at those damn trees.

So in a big fort you'll need a cadre of dedicated dwarves who have Planter and Gatherer enabled, and only those.

You should also really make some custom work details in general, they help a lot.

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #71 on: January 12, 2023, 09:26:56 am »

I've noticed similar behaviour in .47.04, my theory there was that somehow the list of dwarves is traversed by date of them joining the fort, as my baroness, who'd been around since the first year of the fort kept having her break-time interrupted by her having to go an harvest food, while there were a bunch of farmers in the tavern who weren't doing anything. Only after I untoggled the order for 'everyone harvests', did she stop getting jobs.
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 12, 2023, 02:54:33 pm »

Ah. Go to Standing Orders tab. Turn off "Everyone Harvests", set it to Farmers only.

The good thing is this trains your farmers to harvest bigger stacks from farm plots, so you get more food and beer.

The bad thing is it keeps them busy so they might ignore indoor farms to go look at those damn trees.

So in a big fort you'll need a cadre of dedicated dwarves who have Planter and Gatherer enabled, and only those.

You should also really make some custom work details in general, they help a lot.

Harvesting is only planter, not gatherer

Also, yes, plant gathering is a high-priority job. It only happens once a year, after all.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 12, 2023, 03:22:20 pm »

It might have been skipped over, but the screen for making selections in gathering zones is actually a set of pictures that are togglable to determine the choice of whether it requires stepladders, fallen fruit or ground harvesting. Its the only place i've noticed it in this way, but it helps when managing where exactly the gathering zones are being put so they dont need 1 stepladder each tile, which breaks up what season they typically start harvesting the trees, with a grid of stepladders (made to exactly the stock of stepladders you can support) and fruit fall zones underneath remaining leaf tiles.

My own pet peeve is trapping and other transient jobs, i like to make extensive use of vermin creatively when i can for silk & meat farms, and virtually no workshops respect the limitations of burrows for work. This extends to burrows which control which animals can be sheared/milked under the jurisdiction of a particular farmers shop also and looms for collecting silk-webs from particular places on a job (easy enough to set masters to rather than assign to a burrow). But setting bait is a extremely long process when every dwarf is called upon it without setting up a labor group, longer than any other with consequences of meat rotting to miasma and losing the window of actually catching anything.

ab9rf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • ab9rf@github
« Reply #74 on: January 12, 2023, 07:02:04 pm »

and this is why labormanager will be updated for v50, since labormanager already does many of the things that people are wishing the default system used, and it would not be hard to add additional functionality after it gets updated
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6