Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14

Author Topic: Irritan Anam - Steam Release Succession Fort!  (Read 20042 times)

tonnot98

• Bay Watcher
  • Damp stone located.
    • View Profile
Re: Irritan Anam - Steam Release Succession Fort!
« Reply #180 on: February 19, 2023, 02:29:59 pm »

I'm not sure those children are going to be any more manageable when they're eighteen; the captain of the guard might just beat them to death after their first trauma-induced adult tantrum.
Not sure if dying of old age is an honor or a shame for weaponmasters. On the one hand, it means they never got the opportunity to die in glorious battle. On the other hand, it means nothing could beat them in glorious battle.
Meow.

SYPIAC

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: February 19, 2023, 09:30:27 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Save

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: February 19, 2023, 11:03:58 pm »

pic. 34 - giant birds assault us yet again, claiming 2 lives

fiendish green demons prove deadlier than even the mythic Roc. . terrible creatures!

look, a loss of only a dozen or so is honestly commendable. This fortress is now getting old enough that the various woes begin to pile upon themselves and do immeasurable mental damage to our precious citizens.

The fire monster has jumped into the lake, to expected results.

. . . everyone made some mushroom tea from the now-sterile and piping hot cavern water?
« Last Edit: February 19, 2023, 11:06:09 pm by Salmeuk »

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: February 19, 2023, 11:17:19 pm »

@SYPIAC:

The reason that the water was laced with mud was because it wasn’t at least 2 z-levels deep.  Also, when you noticed the part that you forgot to mine out, why didn’t you drain the cistern and then dig it the rest of the way out?
Really hoping somebody puts this in their signature.

SYPIAC

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: February 20, 2023, 04:46:06 am »

@SYPIAC:

The reason that the water was laced with mud was because it wasn’t at least 2 z-levels deep.  Also, when you noticed the part that you forgot to mine out, why didn’t you drain the cistern and then dig it the rest of the way out?
I wanted to be done in a week's time, it was already late sunday evening for me during late summer. Cistern took multiple months to fill too, no saying if I could be done before end of year, especially seeing how there's no drain right now.
Also I have no idea how I could dig out that middle bit without having dwarfs drop down and break their knees, or having the whole thing cave in on the miners.

Lord_lemonpie

• Bay Watcher
  • disco-froggin' since 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: February 21, 2023, 07:31:41 am »

Thanks for playing, SYPIAC, really enjoyed your turn! And welcome to the forums :)
I'll get to messaging the next person on the list.

tonnot98

• Bay Watcher
  • Damp stone located.
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: February 23, 2023, 04:01:55 pm »

A nice attempt with the cistern! Even if it didn't work out completely, at least you fished that artifact crossbow out of the stream. Also for digging out the last bit inside the cistern, you could've constructed some wooden stairs or ramps to act as scaffolds.
Not sure if dying of old age is an honor or a shame for weaponmasters. On the one hand, it means they never got the opportunity to die in glorious battle. On the other hand, it means nothing could beat them in glorious battle.
Meow.

Ulebtatlosh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: March 05, 2023, 04:32:22 pm »

Spring

1st Granite, 111

Was reading interesting book in library when dwarf interrupted to give overseer position again. Weird to be overseer again after six years… But good opportunity to demand pants in correct size, maybe improve other things. Six years is enough time for many books, maybe time to use that knowledge. Might make silk factory.

Finally have been made citizen, and mother arrived to fortress. Pretty good life here, other than clothing discrimination…

Hatch was made.

5th Granite, 111

Swordsdwarf Bim dropped dead in food stockpile, bloody all over. Maybe just allergic reaction…

18th Granite, 111

Doctor Ïngiz killed performer in tavern… Might have to disallow medical duties, not very good at them anyway.

19th Granite, 111

Grasshopper incident…

And louse incident.

7th Slate, 111

Commander Asmel has a bad day, three dead.

Four now… Locked commander in temple of Rakas for now. Two others in temple, but hopefully survive.

14th Slate, 111

Silk farm is progressing. Making bridges of lead was mistake, bars are very heavy…

Already have new clothes, finally some fancy pants… No more nudity. Made ten sets, should last some years.

Yes, did not forget about Asmel, unlocked door.

8th Felsite, 111

Web source is captured, Eelsucker, Snot of Spit. Greatest failure as overseer will be grand success instead.

Human died in process, but should not sleep in capture chamber. Plus name was Dof Pantsmortals, means that Dof sacrifices life for pants production willingly.

28th Felsite, 111

Rest of spring went by without incident. Started testing bait for silk factory, limited success for now. Will increase dog quantity next, maybe some are too fat to slip through fortifications.

So much has changed in the fortress, still a bit lost after a season. Might start poking at the obsidian cluster again soon.
I think we had a caged GCS somewhere too but the Eelsucker branding will take our silk sales to the next level ;)

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: March 05, 2023, 10:34:58 pm »

Web source is captured, Eelsucker, Snot of Spit. Greatest failure as overseer will be grand success instead.

"No really! I meant to do that!"

Doctor Ïngiz killed performer in tavern… Might have to disallow medical duties, not very good at them anyway.

you say this now, but who knows what the performer might have done had they been allowed to live?

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: March 05, 2023, 11:05:00 pm »

I think we had a caged GCS somewhere too but the Eelsucker branding will take our silk sales to the next level ;)

Hate to bust your bubble, but Forgotten Beast silk is only as valuable as common cave spider silk.
Really hoping somebody puts this in their signature.

Ulebtatlosh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: March 06, 2023, 04:28:43 am »

you say this now, but who knows what the performer might have done had they been allowed to live?

Hmm, preventive healthcare you say? Maybe they deserve a promotion then.

Hate to bust your bubble, but Forgotten Beast silk is only as valuable as common cave spider silk.

Playing a bit unoptimally makes for better stories I think, and forgotten beast silk is much cooler to me than GCS silk.
Who would want to wear crummy old giant cave spider silk that you can get in every other fortress when you could be wearing some premium Irritan Anam Eelsucker the Snot of Spit's kinglet brute silk ;)

Ulebtatlosh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: March 06, 2023, 09:14:13 am »

Summer

12th Hematite, 111

Silk factory is now working! Webs will be stinky for now, but corpses will rot and problem solves itself.

As overseer, personally do first pulling of silk release lever, as is tradition. All works as intended.

First webs are collected by absent-minded human.

5th Malachite, 111

Silk weaving room is done, first cloth is truly masterful.

26th Malachite, 111

Weavers and web collectors have settled into routine, production goes well.

2nd Galena, 111

Child Rith fell down stairs, slammed into farmer Kel too, is in hospital now.

5th Galena, 111

Worm arrived, but swallow people in caverns arrived earlier. Worm died quickly.

9th Galena, 111

Fish arrived, adding to cavern fish infestation. Started digging archer pillar to deal with fish.

16th Galena, 111

Poking at gem cluster again, more safety measures this time. Found another kinglet brute.

19th Galena, 111

Snugodan Osma Estu…

Second treasure also found, but is three treasures. Kinglet brute is scaring miners, have to find solution…

Started digging big rock to drop on kinglet. Marksdwarves having too much trouble, rock is more reliable.

Another fairly calm season...
Sadly I forgot to get the weaponsmith some bones for the artifact they were making, but it was gonna be one made of tin anyway. Still, no free legendary weaponsmith.

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #192 on: March 06, 2023, 09:30:55 am »

Snot of Spit is the worst best name for a webslinger I've ever heard. I feel a little bad for the dwarves wearing that silk. :P

Ulebtatlosh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: March 06, 2023, 01:17:47 pm »

Autumn

2nd Limestone, 111

Fortress is attacked, but not many invaders, no problem for militia.

6th Limestone, 111

While working on rock, marksdwarves managed to kill kinglet brute…

10th Limestone, 111

Uthimi arrives, but earlier birds are hungry.

14th Limestone, 111

First Eelsucker silk clothes are made, truly height of luxury!

More beasts in gem cluster, but not a problem.

Bigger problem is unnatural fire.

17th Limestone, 111

Extreme number of fish people want to attack fortress. Lonely monster slayer tries to be hero. Will ask for miners to prioritise archer pillar.

Weird socks are found.

26th Sandstone, 111

Had divine vision and told miners to dig bravely. Sadly memory is not best, unleashed divine retribution.

Luckily divine retribution was made of steam, only killed miner and got clothes of master lasher Hustra wet.

2nd Timber, 111

Maroon monster is dealt with.

21st Timber, 111

Mayor died in great gem cluster disaster, some others too… Safety measures are not safe enough, looks like. Zasit Esdorsarvesh is new mayor.

Ah, but notice how normal wool and silk clothes are burning, even diamonds, but premium Irritan Anam Eelsucker, Snot of Spit kinglet brute silk clothes are completely unaffected, beautiful like day they were made.

22nd Timber, 111

25th Timber, 111

“Like shooting fish in tree” as marksdwarves put it. Not very effective, but good practice at least.

...One jumped out through fortifications after saying that… Died from thousand fish attack.

Yep, turns out Eelsucker silk is magmaproof. Truly a flawless material ;)
My game crashed (overseer Ulebtatlosh had a divine vision) around 19th of Limestone when opening the nobles screen (so luckily only 19 days lost), but I didn’t bother changing the post, so a few things might be different in the new timeline. The main difference is that it took way longer to kill the kinglet brute (like multiple months longer).

Snot of Spit is the worst best name for a webslinger I've ever heard. I feel a little bad for the dwarves wearing that silk. :P
The name was a big part of why I wanted to make an Eelsucker silk farm ;)

tonnot98

• Bay Watcher
  • Damp stone located.
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: March 06, 2023, 01:46:38 pm »

Human died in process, but should not sleep in capture chamber. Plus name was Dof Pantsmortals, means that Dof sacrifices life for pants production willingly.
Premium quality fireproof Eelsucker, Snot of Spit kinglet brute silk clothes.
This has been a hilarious turn so far! Anyway, I'm sure my dwarf appreciates the extra gems to work on.
Meow.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14