Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 26

Author Topic: CYOGTCG Legacy Tournament - FINISHED  (Read 16176 times)

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
Re: CYOGTCG Legacy Tournament - Entrants 7/?
« Reply #255 on: November 03, 2022, 07:17:18 pm »

I will cry, but after I finish crying, I will open up brokencombos.txt and use them all on you

I don't care about winning or loosing just tears
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: November 03, 2022, 07:20:04 pm »

I'll point out that there do exist cards like Tentacle Kitty which do something similar, yet different. The main difference is that it stays in hand. Reducing it's stats that far would also reduce it's star cost. The balance of the stats is that you're spending the star it grants to get a card on the board. Sure it can be used for discard, but cards are evaluated in vacuum rather than meta. (With less stats there is no reason to ever actually play the card outside discard plays. You could just run Tentacle Kitty instead for the same result.)

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: November 03, 2022, 07:35:41 pm »

I don't care about winning or loosing just tears
The only tears will be your own as I commit cardgame crimes on a level not seen since TricMagic stole all of NQT's cards before his first turn

I'll point out that there do exist cards like Tentacle Kitty which do something similar, yet different. The main difference is that it stays in hand. Reducing it's stats that far would also reduce it's star cost. The balance of the stats is that you're spending the star it grants to get a card on the board. Sure it can be used for discard, but cards are evaluated in vacuum rather than meta. (With less stats there is no reason to ever actually play the card outside discard plays. You could just run Tentacle Kitty instead for the same result.)
I don't think you can evaluate cards in a vacuum, frankly. Any card that costs stars can't be played on its own, and any effect that generates stars is only valuable insomuch as it lets you play other cards. You basically have to look at what other cards are doing when you balance a card, and discarding cards is something enough cards do for it to be worth looking at.

Regarding the actual comparison: Tentacle Kitty is a 0-cost card that gives you a star, but has the worst stats a nonspell card can have (0/1). This hypothetical Grand Canyon would have stats somewhere between 0* and 1*—let's say 2/6—at the cost of 2*. This is not very good, but if you have more stars than you need for whatever reason, it's more helpful than Tentacle Kitty. I agree that Tentacle Kitty is still likely the better card here, since it's a 0.2* that costs -1*, but I think Grand Canyon has a niche.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2022, 07:37:39 pm by Elephant Parade »

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: November 03, 2022, 07:46:10 pm »

2 Attack isn't really a niche though. It's not capable of killing more major issues on it's own, or standing up to even 1 star cards reliably. Attack is very valuable in a card at the lower levels. (As seen with the Demons in the AR-style card game.) Canyon can't actually do anything meaningful against the threats that are an issue at 2 attack. Making playing it as a 2 star a negative action rather than a positive. There would be no reason to use the star you just gained and another to play it over another card.

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: November 03, 2022, 08:53:59 pm »

Sorry, I should've clarified: the statline was just an example. I just thought it was a more succinct way of expressing "8 stat points" than, well, "8 stat points".

The point is that a 2* (5/5, gives one star on draw) is significantly better than a 1* (5/5, no effect) and needs a significant drawback to compensate for that. "Is revealed to your opponent" on pickup is barely a drawback, since "your opponent has a vanilla 2* with the stats of a vanilla 1*" is generally not very useful information. 2-3 stat points would be a significant drawback.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2022, 11:03:21 pm by Elephant Parade »

Failbird105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: November 04, 2022, 10:22:19 am »

Oh shoot, sorry I've been busy the past day or so. I legit didn't check Bay12 at all in that time

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: November 04, 2022, 10:30:40 am »

No worries. When you're ready, shoot me a deck and join the match with Stirk. Will it be Maids vs Maids or will the major Food groups come to play? I'm at the edge on my seat!

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: November 04, 2022, 10:31:22 am »

Oh shoot, sorry I've been busy the past day or so. I legit didn't check Bay12 at all in that time

Nobody can blame you for being scared when your opponent is me.

Failbird105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: November 04, 2022, 02:24:01 pm »

No worries. When you're ready, shoot me a deck and join the match with Stirk. Will it be Maids vs Maids or will the major Food groups come to play? I'm at the edge on my seat!
I'll be ready in an hour or so. I've had a deck waiting for my next match for a while now.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: November 05, 2022, 06:51:41 pm »

Combat Phase

Elephant Parade and notquitethere will face off in the Battlefield 2. As it's the first bout and EP wants a challenge, I'll be playing a reasonably competitive deck.

Can someone do a coin flip for us? I call tails.

TricMagic will either sit this one out, or fight Unraveller if he returns (with or without new designs).

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: November 05, 2022, 06:53:38 pm »

Combat Phase

Elephant Parade and notquitethere will face off in the Battlefield 2. As it's the first bout and EP wants a challenge, I'll be playing a reasonably competitive deck.

Can someone do a coin flip for us? I call tails.

TricMagic will either sit this one out, or fight Unraveller if he returns (with or without new designs).

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: November 05, 2022, 10:39:42 pm »

I've sent my decklist to Failbird105 for checking.

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: November 06, 2022, 02:16:33 pm »

Would anyone be interested in an unscored exhibition match? I found a hilariously broken combo and I want to show it off, but even I think it's too unfair to play in an actual game. Ideally, I would like to go up against a Maid deck, but the combo doesn't rely on that.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: November 06, 2022, 02:21:11 pm »

Would anyone be interested in an unscored exhibition match? I found a hilariously broken combo and I want to show it off, but even I think it's too unfair to play in an actual game. Ideally, I would like to go up against a Maid deck, but the combo doesn't rely on that.

Sure, I'm game.

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: November 06, 2022, 02:28:28 pm »

Cool. I'm ready to play whenever. I propose we skip decklist validation, since this is just for fun, but we can do it if you want.
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 26