Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 35

Author Topic: United Kingdom Bunker Thread - Politics & Economics  (Read 28533 times)

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: United Kingdom Bunker Thread - Politics & Economics
« Reply #450 on: October 21, 2023, 06:12:06 am »

...hmmm. The solution to the problem of "up to seven recycling bins" is to... legislate to require a given additional bin. I don't see the joined-upness of that, at all.

And I actually thought I'd check various kerbside systems, the other day, for semi-random[1] UK locations, and here's a roughly reworded subsample of that:
Birmingham: Standard bin, Blue bin (cardboard/paper in insert, plastic/metal/glass in main) and/or Blue box (paper)+Green box(plastic/metal/glass)
Cardiff: General, Recycling(?? must be usual things apart from->), Food, Glass, Garden
Chelmsford: Black (non-recyclable), Grey (food waste), White sack (paper), Separate white sack (cardboard), Brown (garden), Green (cans, glass, small electrical, clothing), Clear sack (plastics)
Dover: Grey wheelie (non-recyclable), Kitchen-caddy (food), Blue-lid (glass, tins, plastics), Black box (paper, cardboard), By subscription (garden waste)
Edinburgh: Grey (non-recyclables), Brown (gardening waste), Other grey (food, no liquids or packaging), Box (glass/small electricals/;separately packaged batteries and fabric waste) Green (mixed paper/cardboard/plastic containers/'tins and cans and foils')
Glasgow: Standard non-recyclables, Blue (paper/cardboard/plastic/cans), Purple (glass), Brown (garden and food waste - houses), Grey (food waste - flats)
Pickering: Black-and-green (non-recyc), Green (plastics/tins), Black container (glass), Blue (paper/card), Brown (garden)
Lancaster: Grey-lid (non-recyc), Red-lid (cans, plastic, glass), Yellow-lid (paper-cardboard), Green-lid (garden - subscription)
Sherringham: Grey (general), Green (glass, cans, foils, plastics, cardboard/paper), Brown (garden, christmas trees)
Thurso: Green (general), Blue ('recycling' - to become two different containers next year), Brown (garden - subscription only)
Truro: No regular bins(? ...but seagull-proof sacks available), Orange bag (cardboard), Black box (glass, textiles), Red bag (metal, plastics), Blue bag (paper)

((As one of my regular walks takes me past properties in three seperate districts/council-regions, I get to see three slightly different 'bin regimes'. Though none of them either excessive nor, to my layperson eyes, insufficiently segregated, for all their differences. None of the three currently have Food Waste (unless it's in the garden-waste bin, where there is one/it's allowed/subscribed by the local scenario), but I really don't know how much food waste I generate myself. Practically nothing, once I've rinsed out packaging enough to qualify it for whichever of the three bins I currently might roll out myself and put out the odd scrap for wildlife. I can't see me using an actual food-bin at all.))

[1] ...nearest to where I 'threw my darts' when trying to hit various regions. But as I'm neither a brilliant shot nor a totally wild and unpredictable one, probably not as representative either as I'd hope or intend.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: October 28, 2023, 12:30:11 pm »

Former SNP leadership candidate Ash Regan defects to the Alba Party.

My favourite bit is Humza Yousaf’s quote:

“Not a particularly great loss to the party.”

Despite all her claims about wanting to bring unity to the party during her leadership bid, evidently she’s unable to get behind the current leadership. Not urgent enough in terms of wanting independence, which… considering she was wanting the same kind of thing that has recently been supported at a conference (winning a majority of seats at the next UK GE is de facto support for independence) makes it look like she’s throwing her toys out the pram because she didn’t get the big job.

I never knew who she was until she quit in protest over the gender reform bill, and consequently didn’t particularly like her. I liked her even less when she said she would end the agreement with the Greens if she got in, and wouldn’t challenge the UK government’s veto over the gender reform bill, so I agree with Yousaf’s assessment on her defection.

She was apparently seen as much closer to Salmond than Sturgeon policy-wise, so it’s not too surprising she’s went over to his side, anyway.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #452 on: October 28, 2023, 12:53:42 pm »

Scottish (and SNP) politics is in a bit of a flux right now... but it's (in my view) just jostling around whilst there's nothing actually very much that matters. i.e. it's all short of actually asking the electorate what they think, just going off on a tangent and announcing what they think the electorate wants from them.

It's still a close-run thing whether actual full Independence would be voted for (less close than Brexit[1] turned out to be). That Westminster is firmly saying "Nope! makes me think that they're actually very much more worried that it could happen, the next time the question is asked.

It's really too early to tell what state SNP, Alba and the rest (i.e. the generally Union-facing Scottish arms of the major UK parties) will be in in the next full-on electoral battle. But I don't get the impression that any of the 'defectors' are really going to get much sympathy from those that elected them when next properly asked about it. (SNP->Alba is a tricky one, perhaps depends upon which kettle of self-deterministic fish those on the ground prefer (for those that incline that way).

[1] Albeit now with the threat of Scexit meaning "going out of the EU" being nullified, so I'd have expected the prior not-quite-IndyRef result to have been turned firnly IndyRef by now. That it isn't might mean other things...

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: October 28, 2023, 01:13:06 pm »

I dunno, a big deal was made about the recent by-election in… whatever Scottish constituency it was. There was a significant swing from the SNP to Labour, but that was an MP that flouted (and I think then lied about flouting) laws around Covid, and the turnout was very low (~40% turnout compared to ~65% in the last GE) so I’m not sure how representative of swings to Labour that is.

Starmer appears to be new New Labour, which did quite well in Scotland if I recall correctly (though Scotland never voted anything but Labour until the late 00s) but I don’t know if that’ll translate to more votes in the next GE, particularly considering the lack of “proper” Labour values.

Edit: forgot to mention the various police investigations the SNP is under also, which might be affecting support.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2023, 01:15:04 pm by hector13 »
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #454 on: October 28, 2023, 01:41:25 pm »

Just makes it seem like sour grapes on all sides to me
Love, scriver~

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #455 on: October 28, 2023, 01:49:24 pm »

Just makes it seem like sour grapes on all sides to me

TBH if it were up to me Regan would have been booted from the party years ago anyway.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #456 on: October 28, 2023, 01:54:34 pm »

Rutherglen/Hamilton West. Since 2010 (the last time it was solidly Labour) it has bounced between Lab and SNP a few times. Just a fraction of a percent in it, one year! Looking at what it means for future prospects, it was probably a necessary success for Labour, but at the same time a survivable failure for SNP.

People were quite annoyed with Ferrier (sp?) for the COVID stuff, in order to trigger the recall petition. Some of that and the post-Sturgeon legal issues for her (by that time disowned) party might, in the context of classic-ByElection behaviour, have constituted a protest vote. Or not. Depends on who you ask. ;)

If set the same question again today, it could so easily swing on something like whether Kier or Hamza is more in tune with the populace on the issue of Gaza/whatever (though I dislike that votes go for "the party", or even "the leader", without considering the particular candidate posted who might well be better or worse positioned to swing the party). But the question won't be asked for quite a few months, plenty of time for the global and local issues to change... if not the leaders!

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #457 on: November 08, 2023, 04:18:53 pm »

"Top official urged Johnson to remove Hancock" was the abbreviated headline used to link to this article...

But I initially read it as the (equally entertaining) "Top official urged Hancock to remove (his) Johnson"...

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #458 on: November 09, 2023, 10:26:12 am »

"Top official urged Johnson to remove Hancock" was the abbreviated headline used to link to this article...

But I initially read it as the (equally entertaining) "Top official urged Hancock to remove (his) Johnson"...
If only Ed Balls had stuck around long enough to help Johnson with his Hancock problem

Then there was that one Tory serial molestor who was Pincher the pincher

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #459 on: November 09, 2023, 11:31:10 am »

If only Ed Balls had stuck around long enough to help Johnson with his Hancock problem

Then there was that one Tory serial molestor who was Pincher the pincher

There was Eric Pickles too for a time.

To be perfectly honest it seems like there are a lot of dicks in the Tory party…

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #460 on: November 09, 2023, 11:45:58 am »

To be perfectly honest it seems like there are a lot of dicks in the Tory party…
Jeremy Hunt is a massive... Dick

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #461 on: November 09, 2023, 01:33:36 pm »

Jeremy Hunt is a massive... Dick
Jeremy Cunt… Hunt *cough*

Some of those look very deliberate.

Fakeedit: link probably NSFW btw.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #462 on: November 09, 2023, 02:08:03 pm »

...as with most references to politicians.

(PS.: Peter Bone)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #463 on: November 09, 2023, 02:15:50 pm »

Jeremy Cunt… Hunt *cough*

Some of those look very deliberate.

Bless the one lady who tried to rescue it and just ended up stretching out the cuuuuuuuuuuuuuunt even worse

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #464 on: November 13, 2023, 07:13:31 am »

So...Cameron's back.
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 35