Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35]

Author Topic: United Kingdom Bunker Thread - Politics & Economics  (Read 29033 times)

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: United Kingdom Bunker Thread - Politics & Economics
« Reply #510 on: May 22, 2024, 03:57:27 pm »

That was more or less my thought (but low battery stymied an earlier reply..). Either extreme genius or extreme stupidity to choose Independence Day. Whoever ends up (deeming themselves) the winner will doubtless directly reference this as applying to their success.

(Well, at least Quatorze juillet isn't on a Thursday. As it is, I'm bettinv some of the leaflets coming through the door will reference the Auld Alliance.)

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • "Lest he be compelled to labor."
    • View Profile
« Reply #511 on: May 22, 2024, 06:27:12 pm »

I've never felt more patriotic.
It is good to choose your battles. It is better to choose your wars.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #512 on: June 07, 2024, 01:05:53 pm »

Tories having a bad week so far.

They’ve been harping on about Labour policies costing families an extra £2,000. This is meant to be over four years, which they don’t say, but it turns out their basis for this claim is a report from the Treasury based on assumptions made by Conservative special advisors and is consequently considered a lot of nonsense. This hasn’t stopped them continuing to make the claims though.

PM Rishi Sunak also left the 80th anniversary commemorations for D-Day early, and is receiving a great deal of flak because of it. He also suggested during an apology that his decision not get politicized, even though he left the event to do a pre-recorded interview about politics.

This is the man wanting to bring back national service, too.

It’s like they’re trying not to win the election
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #513 on: June 07, 2024, 02:45:05 pm »

I wouldn't be surprised.

It is noted that Labour reportedly has its own figures that state that it'll be something like £3000 more (per 4 years?) to go with the Tory policies (despite all the cutbacks/intention to get rid of National Insurance/etc), but they probably won't want (or need) to raise that if they can just laugh off the ridiculousness of their opponents 'side of the bus' calculations and use their opponent's actions against them.

Also, Sunak was never ever scheduled to go from the specific UK D-Day ceremonies to the international ones (in things arranged several weeks before he lit the General Election fuse), due to the timing not being condicive for him attending both. (An oversight, anyway.) But it certainly was a dropped ball to continue with that exact plan under the "now we've called a General Election" diary. And then use the 'free time' to go to what was essentially a campaign-related interview spot (rather than do something to promote their idea of youth volounteering/etc). It's probably the fault of same scheduler who said there'd be no need for an umbrella and then later sent him off into the Titanic quarter.

(Right now, there'll be a Leaders' Debate showing on TV, but I'm not in a position to watch it. The post-mortem will be all over the place within a few minutes of it finishing, though, and I might catch on how it all went for everyone soon after.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #514 on: June 07, 2024, 03:02:26 pm »

The way I see it, it's very possible they AREN'T trying to win the election, because then the new government will be blamed for what's going to happen anyway.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #515 on: June 07, 2024, 03:45:03 pm »

I listened to some of the debate, panel of 7 parties including the SNP and Plaid Cymru who were only really speaking to/of Scottish and Welsh issues respectively.

It seemed a lot of it was Labour and the Tories talking over each other. Carla Denyer of the Greens I thought came out really well, but she did have some of the points she made essentially get hijacked by the moderator for Labour or the Tories to talk about, particularly Labour dropping their £28bn environmental pledge, which was a bit sad.

At least the moderator pulled up Penny Mordaunt of the Tories one or two times about repeating the £2,000 thing (though I was unaware of Labour’s own analysis costing it at £3,000, something to look into, though Farage may have alluded to it later on when he said “whatever the numbers are, 2,000, 3,000”) and tried to keep everyone on track to answer the questions from the audience.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35]