Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 33

Author Topic: CYOGTCG Wars - Team 2 (Team G) Design Thread  (Read 18758 times)

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
Re: CYOGTCG Wars - Team 2 (Team G) Design Thread
« Reply #225 on: September 19, 2022, 10:44:06 pm »

Why don't we make a card that effectively changes the color of other cards? Just to get notquitethere off our back and to disrupt the Maiden's color scheme. Something like "All cards on the field, in player's hands, in the graveyard, and in the deck all count as one color of the player's choice for the rest of the game".
Identity Fragment has that as part of its features, though it's only one card at a time.

Identity Fragment- Select a card in your control and then a currently banished card. The first card's effect is replaced by that of the second card, and it gains the banished card's creature types and background color. 'On play' effects gained this way activate immediately.

I was thinking more like "Squid war: All your cards are now a color of your opponent's choice. All your opponent's cards are now a color of your choice."
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

Failbird105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: September 19, 2022, 11:16:06 pm »

I was thinking more like "Squid war: All your cards are now a color of your opponent's choice. All your opponent's cards are now a color of your choice."
Eh, frankly I feel like that kind of thing would be excessively expensive. In other games it would have been pretty cheap, since Color based anything was not a particularly notable game mechanic. To the point where you could make custom backgrounds for your cards that would essentially make background color impossible to determine. But in this game? It feels like too major of a feature to be able to change deck-wide for one player, let alone both. If it was only cards in play it might work, but that would have its own weaknesses, such as literally not working in The City.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: September 20, 2022, 01:11:28 am »

Spoiler: Turn 11 Hand (click to show/hide)

I hate this program. I hate it I hate it I hate it I hate it I hate it I hate it.
It is now a more than 1-in-6 chance I draw PGW. At this rate I'm going to lose just because I whittle my options down to 0 and Hearts down to 11 just desperately waiting for even a single one to be drawn only to find out they have some kind of I Win button to counter the Mountain.

I beg of you all, please, if you have the Mountain, please do not play it until I've gotten to do my big PGW play against Tric, I want this to be as unexpected as possible.
Shoulda coulda woulda included more than 2 if drawing one is that crucial. Or included more card draw. A deck that relies on one specific combo to win is always gonna be vulnerable to bad draws.

E: This seems a bit mean, but making counters is kinda the point here, innit.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 20, 2022, 07:39:44 am by NUKE9.13 »
Long Live United Forenia!

Failbird105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: September 20, 2022, 07:52:45 am »

Shoulda coulda woulda included more than 2 if drawing one is that crucial. Or included more card draw. A deck that relies on one specific combo to win is always gonna be vulnerable to bad draws.
Here's the thing, it's really not that crucial. I could drop down a Mountain right now and it would be 6/9(nice), stronger than any card he has can do anything about. But I want to hit with the spectacle and my drawing program has decided "no fuck you you aren't allowed to have fun." If I don't manage to get one in the next couple turns, I'm just going for it.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2022, 07:58:24 am by Failbird105 »

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: September 20, 2022, 08:00:47 am »

I was hit by the Friendly Ghost -> Solo Star Power combo, it's absolutely brutal against expensive cards as it just chucks them back in your hand, and it's basically free for them to do.

Also, I think we need multi-star generation, all this one-star-at-a-time is inefficient. They've got two multi-star generators now, and they're both super useful.

Failbird105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: September 20, 2022, 08:05:28 am »

I was hit by the Friendly Ghost -> Solo Star Power combo, it's absolutely brutal against expensive cards as it just chucks them back in your hand, and it's basically free for them to do.

Also, I think we need multi-star generation, all this one-star-at-a-time is inefficient. They've got two multi-star generators now, and they're both super useful.
Yeah. The refinery can be quite potent if you leave them be, which opponents will tend to do if you use them in The City, but we need something that can give an immediate bulk boost.

Hmm, if they can get a star just from flipping a card down, what could we get from sacrificing one? Because I've got some ideas for that.

This is also the sort of thought that makes me really thing we need more cards that want to be destroyed. While they do have an effect removal card that makes putting such a thing on our big cards worthless, they only have so many of those. Putting it on the little cards seems like it'll be better.

Honestly, making a card that can't defend but produces stars or give hearts to its owner when destroyed seems like a solid way to discourage enemies from using Board Clear.

Edit: A Card Concept for Gabriella if she wants to use it.
*Card Name: Slumbering Calamity
*Card Picture:
*Background Color: Red
Attack: Medium-High
Hearts: Very High
Stars: 3
Card Effect:
Comes into play with 5 Sleep Counters. While this card has Sleep Counters, it cannot Attack, Defend, or Deal Damage in any way. At the end of each turn, remove a Sleep Counter. This effect cannot be removed.
Flavor Text: We should find ourselves lucky it remains ever sleeping.
Metadata: Intended to be a card that forces the enemy to hurry to deal with either you or it as soon as possible.
Reference: The concept of an apocalyptic monster that is asleep.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2022, 09:35:32 am by Failbird105 »

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: September 20, 2022, 09:25:12 am »

So something like:

Life Boat
0 star,  1/1, cannot prevent attacks, when this card leaves play, gain +1 heart and +1 star.
Something will survive the wreck.

Which gives me an idea for another card:

Docks
(building)
0 Star
0,3. Cannot attack. Every turn you may play a boat card for free.

So we can combo Docks->Life Boat, Docks->Stygian Skiff->Ghost.

Or maybe more potent:

Rescue Center
(building)
0,3. Cannot attack. At the end of each turn, put a life boat token into play (maybe make them 0/1 if they're tokens).

Then, if the other player ignores the lifeboat spam we have the perfect fodder for Nightly Sweep.

Failbird105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: September 20, 2022, 10:20:31 am »

So something like:

Life Boat
0 star,  1/1, cannot prevent attacks, when this card leaves play, gain +1 heart and +1 star.
Something will survive the wreck.

Which gives me an idea for another card:

Docks
(building)
0 Star
0,3. Cannot attack. Every turn you may play a boat card for free.

So we can combo Docks->Life Boat, Docks->Stygian Skiff->Ghost.

Or maybe more potent:

Rescue Center
(building)
0,3. Cannot attack. At the end of each turn, put a life boat token into play (maybe make them 0/1 if they're tokens).

Then, if the other player ignores the lifeboat spam we have the perfect fodder for Nightly Sweep.
I'd put "cannot Attack or Defend" on the Lifeboat, rather than just can't defend, and then make its death effect stronger. Hell, make it 0/1 even.

Also, hand again
Spoiler: Turn 12 Hand (click to show/hide)
NOW.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2022, 10:22:05 am by Failbird105 »

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: September 20, 2022, 10:24:28 am »

I'd put "cannot Attack or Defend" on the Lifeboat, rather than just can't defend, and then make its death effect stronger. Hell, make it 0/1 even.
Yes I like this idea! Just use it for spamming out a punishment/reward for their/our boardwipes.

Also, hand again
NEXT. TURN.
Another card idea: something that lets us look at our deck order. This would make skiff (which shuffles the deck) and Back Fire more tactical.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: September 20, 2022, 11:25:12 am »

Hmm. You mentioned wanting multiple-star-generation methods. How about making the Lifeboat idea into a spell that puts three 0/1 Lifeboat tokens onto the field? The Rescue Centre might be a bit slow.

Another card idea: something that lets us look at our deck order. This would make skiff (which shuffles the deck) and Back Fire more tactical.
Eh... unless it lets you change the order itself, it doesn't sound worth a card. I could see doing a scry-esque effect, perhaps. That is, "Look at the top [N] cards of your deck. You may put any number on the bottom of your deck, and the rest back on top in any order."
But even that is kinda limp. I think it'd be better to just ensure the deck is set up right, and accept that sometimes you get a bad draw.

*Card Name: Slumbering Calamity
While the flavour is fun, I'm not sure the functionality is worth it. 5 turns is a long time, and the thing doesn't have any form of evasion, so at the end of those five turns you've just got a big lump of muscle. Sure, that can win you the game, but so can a bunch of other cards that aren't as finnicky.

Failbird105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: September 20, 2022, 11:46:38 am »

While the flavour is fun, I'm not sure the functionality is worth it. 5 turns is a long time, and the thing doesn't have any form of evasion, so at the end of those five turns you've just got a big lump of muscle. Sure, that can win you the game, but so can a bunch of other cards that aren't as finnicky.
To be frank, considering they've got Effect Removal, cards that can win via big effects just don't work. So you need big stats, and the best way to do that is with negative effects

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: September 20, 2022, 12:10:57 pm »

I think you can get big stats without needing such a major drawback, though. Like, PGW's stats are big enough, and her downside is real, but not 3-stars-to-do-nothing-for-five-turns real.

E: Demon Footsoldier would also be a good source of big-ish stats. While Demon Summoner is more fun (I think), I'm pretty sure I'm going to submit the Footsoldier next turn, cos I think we just need cheap strength. Of course it dies to removal, but when it doesn't (sometimes the enemy just won't draw their removal, or we might have some countermeasure to it), it will be very potent.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2022, 12:22:26 pm by NUKE9.13 »

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: September 20, 2022, 12:22:55 pm »

Yeah a building generator is a bit slow and too vulnerable to being pinged off the board— unless it's like the demon summer and untargetable when something else is on the board (which would incentivise the opponent to ping the lifeboats hehehe). But token spam spells are also a nice option.

Failbird105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: September 20, 2022, 12:44:45 pm »

Defended

Spoiler: Turn 13 Hand (click to show/hide)
Alright. Could be nice if I draw a WARP

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: September 20, 2022, 01:40:21 pm »

I'm guessing that Tric is holding a Firebase, hoping to draw out a UB before playing it.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 33