Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15

Author Topic: CYOGTCG Wars - Core Thread  (Read 11634 times)

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
  • Currently experiencing fremdschämen.
    • View Profile
Re: CYOGTCG Wars - Core Thread
« Reply #180 on: October 09, 2022, 04:48:51 pm »

I'd really like to give advice, but as the GM I feel I must remain impartial.
websim.ai is coming dangerously close to being able to run Gridhood. Maybe I'll live to see the day if I exercise, eat right, and somehow convince the world's governments not to nuke everyone.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: October 09, 2022, 04:51:25 pm »

The trick is to make copies of our best cards. That's what I did with UB :-/.
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: October 09, 2022, 04:52:12 pm »

Multiple specifics, vs just being untargetable by card effects? And Spring Maiden was originally put forth as a 1 star quickplay. Three effects, reveal it and put it on the bottom for a star, play it to draw 2, and return to top of the deck when destroyed.

...Summer Maiden is a bit silly though due to it's rng nature. You either get a quickplay damage bomb in a pure color deck, or 3 stars in a multicolor.

I'd really like to give advice, but as the GM I feel I must remain impartial.
Pats the superninjanerd. Just toothing problems on the new format.

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: October 09, 2022, 11:32:40 pm »

Next question: Is the 2v1 format something that we should continue doing, or do you think is it more problematic than fun?
websim.ai is coming dangerously close to being able to run Gridhood. Maybe I'll live to see the day if I exercise, eat right, and somehow convince the world's governments not to nuke everyone.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: October 10, 2022, 12:14:02 am »

In an exceedingly long game, there's the problem that one player is drawing twice as fast - and thus deck exhausting - twice as fast as the others.

In any 2v1, there's the problem that the 2 players have more deck variety to work with than the 1 player. I'm definitely feeling it.

It's not unfixable, but it does need fixing.
A Thousand Treasures (And You).

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: October 10, 2022, 01:55:37 am »

More deck variety is bad. Consistency is king.
The main issue is that it takes much longer, since you need three people to be around at the right time to make rapid progress.
Long Live United Forenia!

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: October 20, 2022, 10:24:54 pm »

Team 1 doesn't seem to want to make any cards this design phase for some reason... I'm not entirely sure how I am supposed to deal with that.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: October 20, 2022, 11:16:47 pm »

Defeatism, I guess? Maybe it's time to reset? Ask everyone for feedback, and call this the beta test. I, for one, would definitely join a sequel.

That the game breaks if someone drops out is a weakness. Although I can't think of a simple solution that preserves the core gameplay.

dgr11897

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: October 20, 2022, 11:53:24 pm »

Half that, half we're waiting on happerry and some other people to do some card analysis. Also I got pretty burnt out on this game I think, so that doesn't help.
Quote from: evicted Saint on discord
Weaponizing Jesus isn't something you do turn 4
Quote from: Alice on a different discord, to iridium, kind of.
hold on, let me keep blowing kisses at him until he stops
My Power armor arms race

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: October 21, 2022, 03:21:58 am »

We've been... pretty outmatched at nearly every point in the game, with no easy or visible solution in sight. Suffice it to say motivation is not high. You could even say that it's at the opposite point.
A Thousand Treasures (And You).

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: October 21, 2022, 07:49:55 am »

I've at least had an idea to help the tide turn. Hopefully.

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: October 21, 2022, 05:08:33 pm »

Having waited almost a week, I have decided that there's really no excuse for delaying any further. Thus, I am implementing a 24 hours deadline for getting your card designs in before I start the next battle phase.

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: October 21, 2022, 10:06:47 pm »

Welp. dgr11897 sent me a pm, and they are out now.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: October 22, 2022, 07:01:43 am »

Welp.. (Least if we restart we'd have teams of three?)

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: October 22, 2022, 07:49:39 am »

Yeah, I think the game's too far along to have much chance of attracting new players at this point. And continuing with a 3:5 ratio wouldn't be fun. I really think that calling it would be the best choice. Then discuss how things went, what worked, what didn't work, and how things might be improved. A forum game, especially a complicated and competitive one, is very hard to get right in one go.

Some suggestions I thought up already:

I think the stat-cost-balance should be better outlined. Not set in stone, but currently the only hard data is
A card that costs no stars to play would typically have a combined stat total of 5. (Example, 2 attack and 3 hearts). Useful effects will generally lower this, and detrimental effects can raise it. You can also make cards with no hearts which act like "Spells". Each star a card costs will typically raise its base stat total by 3 or 4. Very high star costs can have ridiculous effects.
Defining the 'cost' of some common effects would help calibrate expectations. Like, "Gens one star on ETB = -2 stats", "Deals 1 damage on ETB = -1 stat", "Flying = -2 stats", "Causes bleeding = +2 stats", etc. Obviously a comprehensive list would be impossible, but half a dozen examples would be good, I think. Also, examples of 'spell' (0-heart) card effects. I still think that 0 stars for a 4-damage boardwipe is too strong- and while balance is not my call, having it stated upfront what sort of strength one can expect spells to have would be useful.

Speaking of balance, I think that it would be good if we could all say what we thought about the balance of cards in this game, and discuss it. While democratic card-balancing is not viable, being able to give feedback is likely to make the next instalment more enjoyable. I mean, one need only look at the Card Repository to see that balance in these games can be a bit all over the place- which makes sense, given that IRL TCGs are balanced by large teams over the course of months, and even then unbalanced stuff slips through the cracks. Expecting one person to be able to perfectly balance ten cards in a day or two is unrealistic (this is not criticism, to be clear- I think Supernerd has done a pretty good job).

Another thing- I played a game of this on Discord with DGR, and it worked quite well. I think it's worth considering the possibility of having the Battlefields be Discord channels, rather than threads. This would be beneficial for two reasons: one, it would allow for faster gameplay (if both players are online at the same time, that is. If not, it's the same speed as a forum thread). Two, it would take up less space on the first page of FGRP- which is a limited resource, and having one game with seven threads is a bit excessive.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15