Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 15

Author Topic: CYOGTCG Wars - Core Thread  (Read 11628 times)

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: CYOGTCG Wars - Core Thread
« Reply #165 on: October 08, 2022, 05:46:54 pm »

Being honest, feels like we'll hitting a point where one team massively overpowers the other. *Really wish someone else had noticed that problem in my deck, Fall was meant to work with Hypersummon, BFG, and Shining.* Having to stick to theme also doesn't help much when one of the foe's cards is an organics killer and the other is a field wipe. Granted you could say that about Storm Cell but it got debuffed due to having a survival clause.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: October 08, 2022, 05:59:24 pm »

If you do go on a nerfing spree, please could you give the new versions a different name or a version number (for clarity). Also, my only suggestion is that no cards be allowed to give other players a choice mid-turn, as it breaks the whole flow on a forum. If there are those kinds of effects, better to have it be like "your opponent gets to make this decision at the start of their next turn" instead.

I think one team winning would be the best end to this game, and if that happens sooner rather than later, that's fine (either G winning, or E pulling an amazing underdog turnaround would be fun). And then any successor game in the future can take lessons from it. I'm happy for Team E to keep getting extra designs as they're down one player.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: October 08, 2022, 06:05:28 pm »

It occurring at your turn start weakens Fall even more though. Since you can pick and choose. And this was a debuffed Fall Maiden too, it originally came with a Hearts penalty for abstaining which would see Dalloc with -12 Hearts right now.

Likewise, cards can be attacked facedown also break turn flow by design.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: October 08, 2022, 06:09:52 pm »

Likewise, cards can be attacked facedown also break turn flow by design.
Yes, I don't like that either. To be clear: I think in a face-to-face game, these would all be fine, but the more of these flow-interruptions there are, the less slower and less fun the game becomes to play on forum (and it's already very slow).

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: October 08, 2022, 06:15:32 pm »

Well, Shining Dawn also interrupts the flow, since it flips face-down cards face-up.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: October 08, 2022, 06:18:47 pm »

That one's okay when you know what a card is before it's flipped. But when unflipping mystery cards, it just means you're breaking your turn in half to wait for your opponent to process an effect. So, also not ideal.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: October 08, 2022, 06:51:02 pm »

We are definitely reliably getting overpowered in all matches. If my team gives me permission, I'll enumerate the exact reasons why I believe that's happening.
A Thousand Treasures (And You).

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: October 08, 2022, 06:56:59 pm »

We are definitely reliably getting overpowered in all matches. If my team gives me permission, I'll enumerate the exact reasons why I believe that's happening.

It is because you're up against me, clearly.
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: October 08, 2022, 07:05:38 pm »

It is because you're up against me, clearly.
Go ahead Fal.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: October 08, 2022, 07:15:45 pm »

Let's see. In this game, victory comes through three factors - engine, board control, and trumps.

Engine is the process of accelerating the playing of cards, drawing of cards, and gaining of Stars.

Board control is keeping control of the board and establishing a greater and greater presence.

Trumps are powerful but costly cards, and once a trump is played, it's difficult to deal with it as an opponent.

We have okay engine (but until this turn we barely had any), poor board control, and only a single trump card, the Invader Guardians. This means we struggle to accumulate enough Stars for higher cost cards, keeping ahold of the board is pretty difficult, and if we get enough Stars for something big, our only option is Invader Guardians.

This is not a sustainable situation for us.
A Thousand Treasures (And You).

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: October 08, 2022, 07:23:17 pm »

A reminder 0 cost cards are just as if not more important than big beatsticks. As the demon shows, we don't have any way to remove such quickly, so the heart cost is negligible compared to the amount of damage it will dish out early game.

And well, Bombardment. 4 damage to all with no way to block it means it will wipe any advantage we have away. GCW also happens to follow the trend, removing advantages we have. Now we can't even rely on cards going to the discard pile when they are killed. Instead they get turned against us.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: October 08, 2022, 07:31:38 pm »

I think your team's real weakness is that you seem to create a lot of cards independently of one another that fulfil the same role. This was fine early game, as it allowed you to field a good range of superior 0 star creature cards (Wooly is simple yet effective).

But in this last round I think I've seen at least three separate star generators... meanwhile, we mostly still use the same staples of Star Wish and the Refinery, leaving us opportunity to plug holes in our selection, creating trump cards, synergy cards, control cards etc.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: October 08, 2022, 07:38:36 pm »

Still salty about the windmill completely failing at it's intended purpose of stargen. And for the record all the maiden cards are mine, Supernerd just nerfed this round of cards of their Quickplay status. Spring Maiden's a good starter card at least. Fall falls flat without the ability to force cards out of hands, which was meant to counter your own strategy of discarding and chain/burn play.

... I'm not entirely sure that Anglerfish is properly balanced. At this rate we'd lose simply cause we have no way of dealing that much damage. Nor any way to actually kill the lure without a lucky meteor storm, or waiting a turn completely defenseless for storm front to roll over. Is it supposed to heal 4 hearts when a card only has 2 to damage?
« Last Edit: October 08, 2022, 07:46:01 pm by TricMagic »

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: October 08, 2022, 08:07:24 pm »

... I'm not entirely sure that Anglerfish is properly balanced. At this rate we'd lose simply cause we have no way of dealing that much damage. Nor any way to actually kill the lure without a lucky meteor storm, or waiting a turn completely defenseless for storm front to roll over. Is it supposed to heal 4 hearts when a card only has 2 to damage?
I think you might be mistaking impact for efficacy (see also: thinking Pacifist Gun Waifu is OP). While Anglerfish is very potent, it has a high cost as well. I'd say it's a good card, but that Unintentional Bombardment is much stronger than it. In fact, in my egoistic opinion, Demon Footsoldier is actually slightly better than Anglerfish as well. It isn't a finisher, but it is a very effective way of getting stats on the board early on, providing key board control that will pave the way for an Anglerfish later.
The card you win with is often very replaceable- its the cards that got you to the point you could play your wincon successfully that are the real MVCs. Consider, say, a ramp deck in MTG that has some insane combo that plays an Eldrazi on turn 3. The Eldrazi is big and scary and will very quickly kill the opponent, but if you ban the Eldrazi, there are dozens of other options for "Big expensive thing that kills quickly"- the real problem are the cards that let you play a big card on turn 3. 
« Last Edit: October 08, 2022, 09:41:03 pm by NUKE9.13 »
Long Live United Forenia!

Shadowclaw777

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Wisenheimer
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: October 09, 2022, 04:05:27 pm »

Still salty about the windmill completely failing at it's intended purpose of stargen. And for the record all the maiden cards are mine, Supernerd just nerfed this round of cards of their Quickplay status. Spring Maiden's a good starter card at least. Fall falls flat without the ability to force cards out of hands, which was meant to counter your own strategy of discarding and chain/burn play.

Anglerfish Dragon is not that strong for 4 stars you can get a 10/11 in Stats or maybe a 10/10 Idk, I’m sacrificing 6 Attack to gain Lifelink and create the Dragon’s Lure token which allows the AD to “attack” the  turn it is played. The card really isn’t that strong, your strategy just seems to spam 0-Star cards, which because Unintentional Bombardment is allowed to be a card, means 0-Star cards “creatures” that don’t have effects are pretty useless. I still think God Candidatw Waifu is OP, it can mind control any card and IT IGNORES THERE STAR COST? the same thing with Big Friendly Ghost, it’s more situational because it can be flipped but it can say fuck off to a 10 star card?. I swear Hydrafish Dragon the card that Stirk revealed is way more trash then God Candidate Waifu because it costs 6 star (Even though you haven’t seen the tokens it generates yet). Binary cards with on/off switches break the game

Your strategy just really hasn’t changed, the moment that AoE spam become constant with our Team designing Unintentional Bombardment, a 4 damage 0-Star AoE card that I can have 6 copies in my deck?, like why is Demon Footsoldier even scary, when you have access to Storm Cell. Here’s my tips, design more effective single-target AoE, make sure every deck you have has 6 copies of Storm Cell, design high-star cards that have effects like “This card can’t receive damage from AoE cards, can’t be mind controlled, and also can’t be returned to the player’s hand willingly.” Stuff like that

I mean I can say things like your Summer Maiden card or whatever that is a 0/2 that draws 2 cards and gains a Star for 0-Cost, is waaaay more insane then Backfire or Star Wish Waifu

What’s Im trying to say here I think, is that you just need to work as team to fulfill the weak spots in your cards that you currently have
« Last Edit: October 09, 2022, 04:23:50 pm by Shadowclaw777 »
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 15