Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 17

Author Topic: Epic Free Game of the Week  (Read 37837 times)

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
Re: Epic Free Game of the Week
« Reply #120 on: March 16, 2023, 04:23:10 pm »

-delete-

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: March 16, 2023, 07:57:15 pm »

Didn't tried the quest system that is available during the skimishes so far, as my battles were more focused on taking out the enemy.
So i did as those quests are making a storyline to break a bit away from generic 4X gameplay, but as i didn't read spoiler ahead i wasn't expected what happened on one of the quest
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Hmm, it looks like there some nice quest system, an optional alternate way to win the game (and get some reward from completing each quests), but on small maps it is better to focus on your opponent(s) but maybe on larger map it would be interesting. A bit like on 4X you have different victory condition, not only destroying the AI opponents .
Though having read some spoilers by now, the difficulty near the end of the questlines seems crazy :D

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: March 23, 2023, 09:36:59 pm »

This week's free game is Chess Ultra. It apparently works in VR and allows online matches, if for some reason that appeals to you.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: March 23, 2023, 10:36:01 pm »

I've read reports about freezing and framerate issues with that chess ultra.

Looks like it's better to play on https://www.chess.com/  (many thousands of people online + large choice of AI opponents for people that like to play offline) or for a freebie that has a lot of content there's the excellent https://lucaschess.pythonanywhere.com/ 

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: March 31, 2023, 02:15:49 pm »

So apparently yesterday was Thursday?

2 new games this week:
The Silent Age - A point-and-click adventure game with a puppetcraft (looks a bit like southpark) aesthetic. You time-travel between 1972 (before the world ends) and 2012 (after the world ended). Interesting idea, I'll give it a shot.
Tunche - a "roguelike" (I'd like it if they explained why they thought so) with real-time side-scrolling combat taking place in the Amazon. 4-ish characters with different fighting styles. I can't tell if it's going to be any good or not.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: March 31, 2023, 04:12:14 pm »

Nothing interesting for me this week
But next week there's "Dying Light" that seems to have some good potential, assuming i can make it run smoothly on low settings on my system :D

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: April 06, 2023, 12:45:34 pm »

Yep. This week we got Dying Light and Shapez.

Dying Light Enahnced Edition is a game with a unique setting: post-apoc with zombies. They've also got a bunch of DLC bundles on sale, and some for free.

Shapez is a puzzle/relaxation game about making a factory to create a specific type of shape, and making the right quantity of said shape. We had a game with a similar idea back in elementary school decades ago where you made a shape, and a friend had to try to recreate it. Fun times.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: April 06, 2023, 01:34:03 pm »

I paid for Shapez on Steam a while back.

It's a solid factory-builder. I had fun figuring out the optimal ratios of factory machines, and the tightest ways to fit them together, than copy-pasting those blueprints into sequences that would spit out dozens of the requested shape every second.

But I got burned out quickly around lvl 20, where it starts to request complex shapes that need to be assembled in a very specific order according to some obscure rules about how shape pieces stack on top of each other and connect.

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: April 06, 2023, 02:58:23 pm »

Here in Germany we only get Shapez...

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: April 06, 2023, 07:41:37 pm »

Sad such a good zombie game is banned on some countries, i googled a bit and there was this a year ago
https://old.reddit.com/r/dyinglight/comments/qaldxb/the_switch_port_doesnt_seem_to_be_out_yet_in_alot/hh3myjj/
If you're talking about the digital version, then due to nature of content the digital version of the game is currently banned in Germany where European e-Shop is officially registered. This is making it impossible to officially distribute the game in European countries and also in Australia and New Zealand. We are currently working with our partner and local authorities to remove the ban as soon as we can.

The game is available digitally in the US and Asia, and the retail version is available worldwide (except Germany)
Maybe the content is related to exploding zombies head ? Maybe they could simply have made a version without those to avoid the german ban like they did on the sequel apparently.

Very surprised that with all settings on low Dying Light  play that smoothly on my old rig, thoughat those settings it takes a large hit on visual it still look nice enough.

So far it's quite good and rather original, an open world parkour game in the middle of a zombie infested city.
Oh and just got killed by a bunch of extremely ugly and fast jumping/climbing superzombies in a night, as a result of a mission that was still in day suddenly threw me into the night as soon as the cutscene ended just because. 
I knew i should have conquered the nearby safe zone instead of going straight to the objective, oh well at least it respawned me in a safe zone and far away from that hellish location without making me having to go back again. 

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: April 13, 2023, 12:27:36 pm »

Today we have Mordhau: A multiplayer (up to 80) melee game.

Also: Second Extinction. It's an early-access co-op shooter where you hunt dinosaurs. What's not to love?

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: April 13, 2023, 03:41:27 pm »

I had read some reviews about Second Extinction that point that the game has potential but the early access version hasn't seen an update in a full year (and is not worked on anymore) with little to no communication from the devs.

Apparently since the last early access version they switched to work on the 1.0 not-early-access-anymore (and other games they develop) that is to supposed to be released this year (after they missed a release last year)
« Last Edit: April 13, 2023, 03:46:41 pm by Robsoie »

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: April 20, 2023, 02:23:22 pm »

This week we have 2 games by the same company:
Beyond Blue is a game about diving to explore the ocean.
Never Alone is a puzzle platformer based on a traditional story (with collaboration with the tribe) about finding the source of an eternal blizzard. Also, they are showing a review that says "unique and wholly original", and the game is based on an existing story. So thumbs up, reviewer.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: April 20, 2023, 05:37:22 pm »

Also, they are showing a review that says "unique and wholly original", and the game is based on an existing story. So thumbs up, reviewer.
?

They're... probably... talking in terms of other games???
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: April 27, 2023, 11:56:35 am »

Today's games are Breathedge and Poker Club.

Breathedge: Looks like a jokey/parody space game. "Survive in outer space! Together with your immortal chicken, discover the truth behind your sudden spaceship crash. Craft tools, pilot vehicles, and even control space stations to survive and explore the wreckage."

Poker Club is a HD 4K ray-traced [these are from the official description, it's not just me making fun of them] poker game. You play poker as a 3-d avatar. They also have a discount on buying more poker chips right now, which is definitely not a red flag for terrible PTW games.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 17