Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 17

Author Topic: Epic Free Game of the Week  (Read 37839 times)

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Epic Free Game of the Week
« Reply #105 on: February 09, 2023, 04:21:36 pm »

This week we've got only one game:  Recipe for Disaster. It shows you how a kitchen succeeds and fails based on the ideas of people who haven't been rushed and yelled at all day while doing bumps of coke to keep going.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: February 16, 2023, 02:25:12 pm »

This week we've got War Pips. Based on the videos, you choose what types of army guys and vehicles you want, then send them to fight over a bridge or whatever against the ai. It's listed as a rogue-lite, which could mean anything. It's got a map not dissimilar to FTL's, and graphics that would be quite good if they didn't stick to the minecraft aesthetic.

Overall, it looks like a game you'd have fun with for a few hours and then forget about. Not bad for free.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: February 17, 2023, 06:47:09 pm »

I suppose I should ptw.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: February 23, 2023, 02:35:16 pm »

This week we have a game called Duskers. You pilot drones around procedurally-generated derelict spaceships, trying to find replacement parts and/or upgrades for your drones and ship. The description sounds like things break down with the expectation you'll find a way to work without them. You also control the drones through a command line interface.

It sounds like the game will be working against you, which can get annoying quickly, but the exploration parts will definitely interest some people. Plus, like all games in this thread, it costs $0.

And the hardware requirements are "anything made since 2004" and at least Windows XP. You should be able to run this one.

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: February 23, 2023, 02:49:20 pm »

This week we have a game called Duskers.

I did a Steam review of Duskers a while back:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
TL;DR: Thumbs up - although get ready to work out those typing skills.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: February 23, 2023, 06:45:59 pm »

Thank you for that. I wasn't sure how well they did with the deterioration mechanic. It's easy to make a game where it's too much, or too easy to avoid. And when it's the main mechanic you're fighting against, it's important to tune it well. Glad to hear it's well-done enough that the game is enjoyable.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: February 23, 2023, 09:14:02 pm »

After clearing all the derelict ships the first sector i moved on the 2nd one and after a couple of ships it starts to feel very repetitive.

From what i played it's in fact a puzzle game that is nicely presented in an original way with those command lines, as to clear and take everything you need from a derelict you will need to solve the infestation puzzle that is about finding how to lead an enemy from a room you need to cross, into a a room that feature a gun defense to kill the enemy

To do so you also need to find which generator will power the doors you need to open and close in order to make a path for the enemy into said gun room (and keep your drone safe), and also find a console to command the gun ( type defense to enable/disable gun ) , and said gun will destroy your drone so make sure to disable it if you need to move through said room.

From there what adds to the difficulty is that to detect infested room you need a working motion detector module in one of the drone 3 slots, and from what i see it takes damage with time, at some point i started to see plenty of room with the motion detector coming with "inconclusive", meaning it was unable to tell if the room was safe or infested, that was a rather huge problem , you need to repair (and refill more use, as the module is limited to 50 use by default) to keep it from getting too many inconclusive results.
same with other modules used to interface with the gun control computer or gather scraps you may find or activate generators

And scraps used for those are coming rather rarely, and repairing a drone cost a very lot of them (lost one when i discovered that activated gun defense was not only set to destroy aliens, but were also shooting my drones) and module repair/refill also cost scraps.

So in the end you need to solve each derelict ship "puzzle" while managing very carefully the amount of scraps you find, and hope you're not getting the motion sensor giving too many "inconclusive" results as those are the biggest pain .
« Last Edit: February 23, 2023, 09:17:58 pm by Robsoie »

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: March 02, 2023, 05:09:41 pm »

This week, we have Rise of Industry: Build a town to optimise production for your factory.

Next week is Call of the Sea, which appears to be a 1930's puzzle adventure game (like Myst?).

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: March 09, 2023, 04:45:00 pm »

Today we've got Call of the Sea, a puzzle game. Looks pretty nice.

Next week is 40k: Gladius: Relics of War.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: March 16, 2023, 11:41:16 am »

Today's game is a 4x called Warhamster 40K: Gladius. The giant piles of day-1 DLC are not included.

Next week is chess ultra, and a ship for a free-to-play game.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: March 16, 2023, 01:13:00 pm »

It's more of a wargame (a Panzer General clone) than a 4X actually , though the research tree and the ability of building bases or cities can throw it into 4X genre maybe.

If someone played 40K Rites of War back in 99 , Gladius feels -very- similar (but the research and buildings add to its depth).

Got a few games and found it rather good (even without any of those DLC galore) once you figure out the classic PZ mechanics (make sure to not let enemy units run away because they'll heal back to full health, same as yours : don't let them getting murdered, retreat them until they heal and move fresh unit to keep the frontline) .

Balance is a bit different from tabletop 40K , by example the devastator troops of the space marines are the equivalent of a wargame early artillery : they hit at longer distance, they hit -really- hard but they have a big malus in accuracy if they move in the same turn they shoot, and they die very quickly to enemy shots.
The space marines Predator tanks that are researched later have same range as devastators, but can move (a lot more than earlier units) and shoot on same turn without accuracy malus, but oddly they do not hit as hard as devastators.

But balance is getting moved around during a battle by the kind of research you do, there are abilities you can research that can add some lethality to some units, some artifacts found around (guarded by strong critters usually) can also give various bonus, some units also can give bonus to their nearby brothers .

All in all Gladius is a very good classic wargame with some added 4X depth and a nice 40K paint over it.
But man if one wants all the factions that are in DLC that can get very costly for a wargame.

ZebioLizard2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: March 16, 2023, 02:12:26 pm »

Balance is a bit different from tabletop 40K , by example the devastator troops of the space marines are the equivalent of a wargame early artillery : they hit at longer distance, they hit -really- hard but they have a big malus in accuracy if they move in the same turn they shoot, and they die very quickly to enemy shots.
Actually given the time it was being made that would be accurate. 8th/9th edition has heavy weapons -1 to hit if they moved. Predators hit less hard because there's more heavy guns in a Devsquad compared to 2 Heavy bolter sponsons and cannon but are more mobile.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: March 16, 2023, 02:42:24 pm »

I need to update my PDF , i'm still reading the 3rd edition (in which heavy weapons couldn't fire if moved) :D
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 16, 2023, 02:44:08 pm by Robsoie »

ZebioLizard2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: March 16, 2023, 03:56:57 pm »

I will also praise Gladius instead of just giving 40k trivia. It's more of a 3X then a 4X proper in the vein of Warlock Masters of the Arcane and Punk Wars, but each faction is quite unique compared to the others. The standard 4 races has the One City Challenge of Space Marines who are strong in the early and mid game but falloff later on. The horrible early game of the Imperial Guard who will wear you down with numbers and Tanks later. The powerful tech Necrons who have strange weaponry that works on a different level compared to the other factions but relies on Tomb Spots for base building, and Orks who are just delightfully based on constant conquest or else they'll get just get depressed and things get worse for them. The DLC races are even more unique compared to the baseline so it is worth a look at once there's a sale.

Orb

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loves_RTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: March 16, 2023, 04:19:41 pm »

Gladius is good for coop with friends against the AI, you can crank up the difficulty and get some real wave defense type stuff.

Game isn't very good for PvP though, unless you like assymetric turns. The overwatch mechanics make simutaneous turns awkward.
[Will:1] You scream. You scream like a little girl in pigtails and a tutu, flailing ineffectually like a starfish on meth.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 17