Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 17

Author Topic: Epic Free Game of the Week  (Read 35134 times)

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Epic Free Game of the Week
« Reply #180 on: July 21, 2023, 05:02:14 pm »

Oh yeah, Murder by Numbers is a puzzle game as well. Also looks pretty good.

anexiledone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: July 22, 2023, 02:11:24 am »

https://store.epicgames.com/en-US/p/the-elder-scrolls-online?lang=en-US

The Elder Scrolls Online
Free to grab till 7/27/2023

I really wanted to get into The Elder Scrolls Online, but combat has the pacing of an arena shooter and it really turned me off. I was hoping it would feel like Elder Scrolls, but online lol

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: July 22, 2023, 05:32:32 am »

Next week it should be the "Homeworld Remastered Collection" featuring the remastered version of Homeworld 1 and 2 and the original versions of Homeworld 1&2, sadly no Homeworld Cataclysm (that i found had even better missions than the original Homeworld).
Good there's the original Homeworld in that collection as from what i read in report the remastered version is built on Homeworld 2 gameplay and so does not feature the same gameplay as the original Homeworld. 

There should be "Severed Steel" too, that they already gave away months ago.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2023, 05:34:42 am by Robsoie »

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: July 22, 2023, 07:48:33 am »

What saddened me most about the Homeworld remastered is that they removed the 'remove unit cap' option for Homeworld 1
Massive complex formations is what made it so awesome.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: July 22, 2023, 08:50:43 am »

I wonder how the Bridge of Sighs mission is in the remastered then, that was the mission in which you could spend hours attracting then capturing every enemy ships that were defending the objective (and there were tons of them) and so could end with a massive fleet for the next mission.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: July 22, 2023, 09:42:23 pm »

You can still exceed the unit cap by salvaging enemy ships
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: July 27, 2023, 01:12:15 pm »

Homeworld Collection as discussed, and Severed Steel.

Severed Steel is a pretty cool-looking parkour FPS with destructible environments so you can jump and shoot through windows or whatever.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: July 27, 2023, 02:00:14 pm »

If you want to bypass (or if it just does not launch) the homeworld launcher and play directly one of the 2 remastered versions you'll need to make a shortctut to the HomeworldRM.exe  located in
.....\HomeworldRemasterdCollection\HomeworldRM\Bin\ReleaseEOS\

Then add the following parameters in your shortcut "target" line
for Homeworld1 Remastered :
-dlccampaign HW1Campaign.big -campaign HomeworldClassic -moviepath DataHW1Campaign
for Homeworld2 Remastered :
-dlccampaign HW2Campaign.big -campaign Ascension -moviepath DataHW2Campaign

without those and only launching from HomeworldRM.exe will make the single player option (basically the campaign) unavailable.
so by example for homeworld, the target line should look like :
.....\HomeworldRemasterdCollection\HomeworldRM\Bin\ReleaseEOS\HomeworldRM.exe -dlccampaign HW1Campaign.big -campaign HomeworldClassic -moviepath DataHW1Campaign

Note, in case you want to use the "playerpatch" mod ( https://www.moddb.com/mods/homeworld-remastered-players-patch ) that adds tons of bugfixes that the latest steam-epic patch didn't added, and still want to bypass the gearbox homeworld launcher, the parameters you'll need to add are a bit longer :

for Homeworld1 Remastered :
-dlccampaign HW1Campaign.big -campaign HomeworldClassic -moviepath DataHW1Campaign -workshopmod 2.3PlayersPatch\2.3PlayersPatch.big
for Homeworld2 Remastered :
-dlccampaign HW2Campaign.big -campaign Ascension -moviepath DataHW2Campaign -workshopmod 2.3PlayersPatch\2.3PlayersPatch.big

For the classic Homeworld 1 and 2, just using their own executable in their game directory should launch the games, it's only for the remastered version that you'll need to edit the shortcut to bypass the launcher

« Last Edit: July 27, 2023, 02:01:53 pm by Robsoie »

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: August 03, 2023, 05:40:44 pm »

This week we have Bloons Tower Defense 6 and Loop Hero.

Bloons is a fairly standard Tower Defense game, with a lot of unlockables and different challenges/difficulty levels. There's nothing worth paying for, but you can buy cosmetics. I got quite a bit of time out of it (months?), but towards the end you almost need a guide to know how to solve levels.

Loop Hero is one of those 'build the dungeon with cards' roguelikes. I've heard good things, but haven't tried it yet.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: August 03, 2023, 06:45:07 pm »

looks like next week it's Europa Universalis 4 again.

Loop Hero is rather interesting for its originality in the roguelite world, never played a game like this, i thought it was going to be something like guild of dungeonnering but not at all, it's hard to describe it as there are several mechanics interacting with each other but a lot is automated giving it an odd feel.
But so far it's fun, not sure for how long before it gets repetitive.

Knowing when to retreat to save the material accumulated and restarting on an empty area instead of dying on a loop (and losing 70% of the materials) on a well build "world" seems to be the most important part as materials are used to improve the camp (and obtain new different cards), basically it's a risk vs reward type of game decision you'll need to keep in mind.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2023, 07:24:51 pm by Robsoie »

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: August 04, 2023, 12:52:46 pm »

Wow that lich boss (the first chapter one) is though in Loop Hero.
some observation about that boss that will be helpful :
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Not sure what's the point of having by default a "CRT" filter turned on to imitate console display from the eighties, the game is much more readable by turning this filter off immediately.

note : sometime you may want to retreat at the base camp to save all the new materials you got but the boss just spawned on it, make sure to enable the "automatically pause in the end of the loop" option so the game will offer you to retreat instead of going to the boss directly.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2023, 01:33:33 pm by Robsoie »

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: August 05, 2023, 11:11:27 am »

Not sure what's the point of having by default a "CRT" filter turned on to imitate console display from the eighties, the game is much more readable by turning this filter off immediately.
Because the developers want their game to look like that, I'd imagine.

Though CRTs are definitely more recent than the 80's, as an aside.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: August 05, 2023, 11:22:23 am »

Though CRTs are definitely more recent than the 80's, as an aside.

Quote from: actually
The Xerox Alto computer, released on March 1, 1973, included the first computer monitor. The monitor used CRT technology and had a monochrome display.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: August 05, 2023, 11:41:08 am »

CRTs were still kicking around in the 90s and 00s, is what I think was meant.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: August 05, 2023, 08:15:16 pm »

Wow that lich boss (the first chapter one) is though in Loop Hero.
some observation about that boss that will be helpful :
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Should we have villages and wheat fields around the camp site, spider nests/road lanterns, or both?
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 17