Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 17

Author Topic: Epic Free Game of the Week  (Read 35230 times)

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
Re: Epic Free Game of the Week
« Reply #165 on: June 02, 2023, 01:57:24 pm »

this week so much for a "vault" game as it's a MP-only game that barely has anyone on their server "Midnight Ghost Hunt" (and note that it features that "easy anti cheat" crap )
https://steamcharts.com/app/915810

next week apparently rumours are that next week vault game should another MP game "Payday 2" (though at least for the people that like that kind of game, payday2 servers are populated and there's no "easy anti cheat" with it)
https://steamcharts.com/app/218620
« Last Edit: June 02, 2023, 02:01:21 pm by Robsoie »

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: June 08, 2023, 06:11:26 pm »

Today's game is Payday 2, except the 2 is a dollar sign. It's a 4-player co-op heist game with some skill improvements between sessions. Sounds good, depending on the players.

Next week is both Guacamelee games.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: June 08, 2023, 07:06:01 pm »

I have 160 hours in payday2, although I'll admit I last played it 6 years ago, so things might have changed. But it's a pretty good game. In fact, it's actually 2 different pretty good games. It's both a horde based shooter and a stealth heist game, although I think arguably a lot of the meat of it is in the horde based shooter mode. Some levels are strictly one or the other, but some levels are both, but at least at the higher difficulty levels not at the same time.

At lower difficulty levels when you first start out you can in theory start doing a mission in stealth, and then when you flub the stealth you shoot your way out, and it sorta feels like that's the "thematic" way for missions to go. But realistically on higher difficulty you can't really make that switch, you need to build your build so specifically to either stealth or combat that there's no switching mid mission you either start shooting from the start or have to perfectly stealth your whole way though. (Some exception for the dodge build, which can at least try to both stealth and fight, but it's pretty much a bad at both situation).

That said that's not really a bad thing, just a bit of a... not quite thematic thing I found. Both modes I found are quite fun though. Although as I mentioned the actual combat is a bit more in depth with builds and such, whereas stealth is a bit more of simpler side game and to a certain extent is about exploring and memorizing level lay outs, and thus has a bit less replayability compared to the horde shooter mode. I would say if you're at all interested, try both, you might like both modes or might only like one mode, and that's okay.

Edit: If I recall it's a pretty team based game though and probably best with a nice friend group to play it with. So, I guess also keep that in mind and hopefully bring some friends along with you to try it out.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2023, 07:08:49 pm by Criptfeind »

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: June 15, 2023, 07:52:26 pm »

Starting today, we've got both Guacamelee games. Lucha libre-themed platformer, from what I understand. I've heard good things.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: June 15, 2023, 08:10:42 pm »

Next week they're giving away The Hunter: Call of the Wild again.

If you missed it the first time, it's a very good game even if hunting is not your thing
The 2 superb very detailled locations (they're gigantic game worlds) that came with the base game are worthy of walking around, making it one of the best walking simulators (even when playing with everything on very low to get the game running smoothly enough on my old system, it still look amazing).

Exploration and walking ... until you start to get hooked on the actual hide&seek stealth gameplay mechanics that comes with it and will start just shooting everything that move in the hope to grind XP& levels and unlock more skills and quickly accumulate hundred of gaming hours on that game :D
There's tons of DLC for that game, but even with the base game only i'm at more than a hundred of hours
« Last Edit: June 15, 2023, 08:21:36 pm by Robsoie »

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: June 15, 2023, 09:48:58 pm »

Starting today, we've got both Guacamelee games. Lucha libre-themed platformer, from what I understand. I've heard good things.

I’ve only played the first one but it’s really good. Good metroidvania gameplay in a likeable package. I got it for free and it is well worth it.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: June 16, 2023, 06:11:41 am »

Toyed for a bit with the first Guacamelee and i was surprised by how nice it is : the design is excellent as the sound, the visuals, everything feels packed with personality . 
The start of the game felt like a letdown as the character wasn't really agile while following my inputs, fortunately fast enough *spoiler* happens and finally the character you control react to your keys much better.
Still i feel the truckload of normal enemies take too many hits to destroy, slowing down the progression at some place , making it feels odd in contrast to the fast pace of the gameplay.

The metroidvania concepts do not seems as present as in similar games as Guacamelee to me feels more linear because most of the paths (opened with newly found abilities) are the actual only path toward the game progression, i mean i don't feel much interconnectivity so far (maybe that's for later in the game) like in other metroidvanias.

Guacamelee has a lot of puzzle platorming with switches between worlds that have platform/walls/grounds present or missing on some locations and appear in switched world, that can be maddening on some areas when you need to play with many of those world switching device to get through a zone (not to the frustrating level of a Sunblaze fortunately) that i felt i went through more with pure luck than my input skills :D

Anyways, very good giveway this time.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2023, 01:38:53 pm by Robsoie »

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: June 24, 2023, 02:04:18 pm »

Oh, this week's is Hunter: Call of the wild again.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: June 30, 2023, 04:51:54 pm »

This week is The Dungeon Of Naheulbeuk: The Amulet Of Chaos. It's a tactical rpg in a world parodying rpgs. You have a squad of 7 pre-chosen main characters, and one companion you choose out of 3.

Edit: I've played some. I'm still in the tutorial dungeon, but it's a good combination of exploration mode (walking from one combat to the next, but also you can explore a bit and find some hidden rooms, traps, and treasures) and combat. Combats are luckily only a few rounds, so you don't get the 4-hour-long combats from Divinity Original Sin 2. The attempts at humor are pretty bad so far, but inoffensive and barely get in the way.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2023, 10:29:06 am by Iduno »

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: July 03, 2023, 11:11:56 am »

The humour fall flat a bit too often for me.
The characters all being at some level of stupid does not help either, the "don't touch that evil magic amulet" with the dwarf taking it regardless, then after dealing with evil version of dwarf, "don't touch that evil magic amulet" and then it's the thief that takes it regardless and you'll have to deal with evil thief ...

I got to the level with the tavern and there's even the skyrim-inspired "i took an arrow to the knee" joke, that's rather strange as from what i read Dungeon of Naheulbeuk was a comical audio drama parody of a RPG adventure that went on for some years, so i would have imagined a PC adaptation wasn't really in need of getting more joke and banter lines and take them from more recent games like skyrim.

At least the xcom-like tactical combat is good, there's a lot of depth and possibilities in it and each battles have the right duration as they do not take forever to solve. Too bad everything is linear and pre-determined, random encounter and procedural dungeons level would have made it for some good replay value.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: July 03, 2023, 10:33:35 pm »

Yeah, the jokes and references aren't too terrible, but they aren't good, either.

I just took a massive hit to my charisma with a character, so I looked at what it does (for people other than the bard and priestess). It increases the support bonus you get by 1% per point. Support is an ability you have to pay skill points for, that allows you to choose an ally (there are 2 skills for everyone, and each names a single ally). If you stand next to them, you get a 5% bonus to hit. Plus 1% per point of charisma over 10 (it can be 9, which means you only get 4%). And they don't have the same bonus from you, they have to spend a skill point to name an ally, and I doubt they have mutual choices. It's a huge amount of effort to gain a who gives a shit bonus. You can put a point into your accuracy stat, spend no skill point, and get +2% to hit. I can only assume it's a convoluted joke about how much of a dump stat charisma tends to be.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: July 06, 2023, 04:52:23 pm »

This week is Grime. It's a side-scrolling rpg.

GRIME is a fast, unforgiving Action-Adventure RPG in which you crush your foes with living weapons that mutate form and function, and then consume their remains with a black hole to strengthen your vessel as you break apart a world of anatomical intrigue.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: July 13, 2023, 08:55:39 pm »

Hey, guess who remembered it was Thursday while it still was!

This week, we have Train Valley 2, a puzzle game. I'm not sure what you're training it to do, but I can use a new puzzle game.

Edit: Yeah, it's calm and satisfying. Good game.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2023, 08:09:20 pm by Iduno »

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: July 14, 2023, 09:15:46 am »

next week it should be "Murder by Numbers" that is a visual novel game and the mmorpg "Elder Scrolls Online"

Nelia Hawk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: July 21, 2023, 03:37:26 am »

https://store.epicgames.com/en-US/p/the-elder-scrolls-online?lang=en-US

The Elder Scrolls Online
Free to grab till 7/27/2023
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 17