Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 17

Author Topic: Epic Free Game of the Week  (Read 35127 times)

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
Re: Epic Free Game of the Week
« Reply #195 on: August 05, 2023, 08:51:28 pm »

Rogue as a class is awesome, focus on getting the material to build the "Refuge" back in the village to unlock that class.
2 victories so far in chapter 1 with a rogue.

Around the campfire i suggest to at least have a grove so you can add attach a blood grove making sure the blood grove area is going over the campfire, the big interest is that a blood grove will automatically kill an enemy that health is below 15% , boss included so it's really good to have such thing as it's basically shaving 15% of the boss health automatically.
Adding some road lanterns is always a good idea, as when you arrive in base camp you may not be at your best health so if you're going to fight just before the campfire, fight less enemies, it does nothing to the boss though.
Vampire mansions are also good to have, they add vampires to a tile that have already enemies, but if you have no tiles that generate enemies around the campfire the vampire mansion are just sitting there harmlessly, perfect way to block some side of the campfire to prevent the lich buildings to spawn.
People have mentionned adding a beacon can be useful because the speed bonus does not work on a boss but still work on you

You can build up to 4 watchtowers in the village, when in the world they can shoot as support to you at everything at range 1 of the campfire, very helpful if you have placed some tiles to block the lich buildings but get enemy generated.
Later you'll be able to upgrade those watchtowers once you'll get further in the game and have more advanced materials in stock so they can shoot at longer range.
But unfortunately watchtowers are disabled for the boss battle, those cowardly bastards :D

Goblin camps spawn everytime you add 10 rocks/mountains, i recommend to nuke them with a oblivion card as soon as possible, the goblins are numerous and hit hard and can be very resilient, weakening your character more than you would want.
Bandit camps spawn everytime you add 2 villages, they're less annoying than goblins but still nuking them is a good idea

There's a type of material that can only be obtained from killing 4 or more enemies in a tile (the more enemies the more chance, note that "support" enemies like ranged enemies at the next tile also count in the number, at 4 enemies it's only 5% of chance), the Orb of Expansion, a lot of them are required by advanced buildings.
A vampire mansion next to a village spawn a vampire and 4 ghouls in said village, a good way to try to obtain those orbs as while the vampire is strong the 4 ghouls are usually weak.

« Last Edit: August 05, 2023, 08:54:53 pm by Robsoie »

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: August 10, 2023, 04:59:14 pm »

We have 2 games today.
Europa Universalis 4, which is annoying just to type.
Also Orwell: Keeping an Eye on You, where you play as Big Brother.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: August 17, 2023, 05:24:05 pm »

This week we have Black Book, where you play as a Slavic witch protecting humanity from monsters. It's a card-based RPG.

Also, Dodo Peak, which appears to be Q-bert-based?

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: August 18, 2023, 08:04:51 am »

next week it should be Homeworld: Deserts of Kharak

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: August 24, 2023, 01:06:18 pm »

It is indeed Homeworld: Deserts of Kharak this week (and Cave Story next week, which i meant to play more of back when it was a free game).

Homeworld: Deserts of Kharak is a prequel to Homeworld made by Gearbox, apparently? It's an RTS in a desert that isn't Dune.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: August 24, 2023, 02:25:12 pm »

Tested the Desert of Kharak campaign and after 2 missions so far it's not bad, lots of radio chatters and good enough Homeworld-style music helps to build a good atmosphere. But i feel they shouldn't have attached this game to the Homeworld franchise and instead should have gone toward the Dune one as at some point it felt like Dune.

Not fan of the vehicles i saw so far, i much prefer the ships from the Homeworld games, the lack of 3rd dimension in Desert of Kharak seemed strange at first, but in the same time out of a few warships in Homeworld (due to their gun location) the 3rd dimension was not really used to its potential in the Homeworld games. 

After that on a technical level, it's not running on the same engine used by the Homeworld games despite its look, this one is on the unity engine, so expect some of its usual possible woes.

wasn't Cave Story a freeware ? i remember playing that a couple of decades ago.
edit : oh it's  " Cave Story + " actually and features more content than the old Cave Story freeware :
https://cavestory.fandom.com/wiki/Version_differences
« Last Edit: August 24, 2023, 04:00:00 pm by Robsoie »

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: September 02, 2023, 01:42:04 pm »

Oh yeah, had a thing and forgot I post on Thursdays. Cave Story is free today! It's a classic platformer.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: September 07, 2023, 12:15:48 pm »

Today we got Spelldrifter. A world suddenly gains magic, and everything changes.

The game is a tactical turn-based game (like a Fallout or Dungeons of Naheulbeuk) with Collectible Card Game combat. Oh, and the description mentions timelines being woven through combat? There is like a 1% chance this will live up to the potential, but will still probably be a pretty decent game.

Prologue review: 2 typos so far, and I'm not sure what any of the special card/enemy abilities do. You can right-click to examine a thing, which gives you a larger version of still not knowing what those keywords mean. Also, very linear and no actual deckbuilding, but it's a prologue. Also, the game crashed as soon as I started the next chapter. Every. Time. I guess I'm done with it.

Edit: Also, I see this thread's been going on for just over a year. Would there be any interest in listing games we've liked/disliked from the free games we've played since August 2022? There were a few surprises.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2023, 06:54:57 pm by Iduno »

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: September 07, 2023, 12:52:06 pm »

Would there be any interest in listing games we've liked/disliked from the free games we've played since August 2022? There were a few surprises.

I'll have to check my Epic account, but just offhand, I was pleasantly surprised by Ring of Pain - roguelike dungeon crawler with a unique dungeon layout/card system. It's something that I'd rate worth buying (sale price, anyway) for anyone who missed the giveaway.

Edit: Other games that I've played and enjoyed -  Sunless Sea, The Fall, Control, Automachef, Loop Hero, Shapez.

I thought Supraland was a neat concept, but I wasn't able to get all that far - I found the puzzles got too obscure, and I was just spending a lot of time walking back and forth around the map, trying to figure out what I was supposed to be doing.

The only game that I've actively disliked was Rise of Industry, which just never clicked for me. Which is surprising, since I usually love this genre - I've got hours and hours in Transport Tycoon Deluxe, and its open-source remake OpenTTD.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2023, 08:41:07 pm by AlStar »

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: September 07, 2023, 02:55:57 pm »

For reference the list of games that were given away on the epic store since it started back in  2019 :
https://www.pcgamer.com/epic-games-store-free-games-list/

On the games i grabbed from the epic giveways, the ones i really liked enough to have lots of hours invested in them instead of having more productive time :D
Spoiler: list (click to show/hide)

I missed a bunch of the epic games originally because i had no idea there existed an open source alternative to the epic launcher (and i never had wanted anything to do with that kind of thing), but looking at the titles i missed there are plenty of good ones that would have surely joined my list (the 1st freebie from epic i got was in march 2021, Wargame Red Dragon).
« Last Edit: September 07, 2023, 03:02:17 pm by Robsoie »

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: September 07, 2023, 06:57:05 pm »

Favorite/most-played:
Encased - Well-made Fallout-like
Mechanicus - maybe a bit too easy, but that made you felt like you were getting better
Daemon X Machina - good co-op game with lots of cool visual customizations for mechs. There's a plot as well.
Train Valley - puzzles and slight timing on trains. Just hard enough.
Borderlands 3 - It's a stupid game about shooting stuff to get weapons, then shooting bigger stuff.

Special mention:
Dungeons of Naheulbeuk - wasn't funny *in a comedy game*, but everything else was so good I ended it wanting more. Good combat, good story, good character building. Very fun vibe. Wish I'd have bought the DLC while it was on sale.

Least Favorite (but I downloaded them because they sounded good. My takeaway seems to be 'learning how to play is the point of the game' is bullshit. Baba is You kind of pulled it off, end of list.):
Against All Odds - competitive game with controls I couldn't figure out
Dishonored - 3 playthoughs, all ended with bugs
Tharsis - nearly good enough game, but all RNG.
Ring of Pain - Possibly a good game, if I could figure out what I am supposed to do. Similar to a stripped-down Loop Hero if you died halfway through the first loop every single time and couldn't build anything.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: September 07, 2023, 10:22:40 pm »

You can right-click to examine a thing, which gives you a larger version of still not knowing what those keywords mean.
Ah yes, the Vic3 nested tooltip approach. Supply Network -> The Supply Network of the country.

Games I've grabbed and then actually played:

A Total War Saga: Troy - Felt flat compared to Total War: Warhammer, so I didn't get much out of it.

Frostpunk - Super cool concept, through sheer luck or skillful adaptation somehow always managed to keep me at the edge of ruin like it wanted to. Never completed a run and the morality system felt tacked on, though.

Terraforming Mars - Boardgame about terraforming Mars. Alright, but not very compelling.

The Witness - Series of puzzles, I guess you're trapped on an island or something? I didn't get what was going on. There's a wide range of puzzles but they're layered kinda thick and I can only find so many mazes and connect-the-dot games engaging, especially when the goal is to unlock more puzzles.

Transistor - Some kinda battle game about cyberpunk or near-future shenanigans, felt clunky so I never got very far.

As you might expect, there are many more games I grabbed and then didn't play, and many more than that I missed or noticed, examined, and decided wouldn't be worth the clutter.

Honorable mention goes to Star Wars Squadrons, which I decided to grab but decided against making an EA account to actually play.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: September 08, 2023, 03:30:22 am »

What did even happen with it for you?  :o I remember it as one of the stablest games there are. (Which is just memory messing with me, but there still wasn't anything game-breaking)
« Last Edit: September 08, 2023, 03:43:04 am by MCreeper »

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: September 08, 2023, 01:26:26 pm »

The only game that I've actively disliked was Rise of Industry, which just never clicked for me. Which is surprising, since I usually love this genre - I've got hours and hours in Transport Tycoon Deluxe, and its open-source remake OpenTTD.
This one surprised me too, as i expected Rise of Industry becoming a favorite of mine but i ended in not liking it at all.
And that despite being a fan of OpenTTD, at least Rise of Industry made me go download the latest version of OpenTTD and got some much better time.

usually i never grab a game i think i will not like (and i don't have the HD space for that anyways :D ) , so disliking Rise of Industry was a surprise to me
while i think about it, it was the same with Europa Universalis 4 , it surprised me in how i much i really didn't liked it, and it made me reinstall Europa Universalis 2 that is still a lot of fun to play for me even nowadays.
Galactic Civilization 3 was a bit of the same case, i thought it would be something for me considering all the praises i had read in the past about the GalCiv series but while i didn't disliked it GalCiv 3 simply did nothing to me and i quickly went back to 4X games that were much more interesting to me.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: September 09, 2023, 12:36:49 pm »

What did even happen with it for you?  :o I remember it as one of the stablest games there are. (Which is just memory messing with me, but there still wasn't anything game-breaking)

[from memory] First one was relatively minor: Went out of my way to save a guy, and the game considered him dead. Retried, and couldn't finish the mission because the target got stuck and wouldn't open a door. Retried again, and had another minor bug and also the door issue again.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 17