Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 16

Author Topic: Lich King: Stone and Bone (SG)  (Read 9845 times)

Kilojoule Proton

• Bay Watcher
  • µ
    • View Profile
    • YG toolbox
Re: Lich King: Beginnings (SG)
« Reply #120 on: August 06, 2022, 10:28:22 pm »

Plan: Open for Business
-Smooth Things Over (the more people like us, the less likely we are to have problems happen)
-Worker Retraining, Smithing (everybody everywhere needs equipment, be it arms and armor or tools for working; with how many skeletons we’ve got, we need it more than most. It also synergizes well with making the mine, though that has to wait for next turn.)
-Lianna starts Recruiting a Coven (more magic support is helpful, and it gets people with magical potential under our protection)
-Adventure: Reach Out to Rebels with Meaning, Recruitment/Alliance (we seem likely to need to defend ourselves from the Church, and if we’re not building an army with actions, we may as well see about recruiting one via adventure)
+1

b28b 84f2 b6e5 6f86 b10b c99b 8d9a 8530 54dc 2c8c d3b2 0e8e 36d4 9949 d87e d12b

Atomic Chicken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: August 06, 2022, 11:26:47 pm »

-Smooth Things Over (the more people like us, the less likely we are to have problems happen)
-Worker Retraining, Smithing (everybody everywhere needs equipment, be it arms and armor or tools for working; with how many skeletons we’ve got, we need it more than most. It also synergizes well with making the mine, though that has to wait for next turn.)
-Lianna starts Recruiting a Coven (more magic support is helpful, and it gets people with magical potential under our protection)
-Adventure: Reach Out to Rebels with Meaning, Recruitment/Alliance (we seem likely to need to defend ourselves from the Church, and if we’re not building an army with actions, we may as well see about recruiting one via adventure)

+1
As mentioned in the previous turn, the most exciting field of battle this year will be in the Arstotzkan capitol, with plenty of close-quarter fighting and siege warfare.  Arstotzka, accordingly, spent their design phase developing a high-altitude tactical bomber. 

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: August 07, 2022, 01:57:41 am »

+1
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: August 07, 2022, 02:56:32 pm »

The Sciro and the Annelids

The depths of the world are home to a history deeper, darker, and stranger than the people of the surface know, and calamitous shifts in the world happen without any word reaching the world above. There are few things that exemplify this more than the fragmented former empires of two ancient races, the Sciro and the Annelids, whose terrible wars shaped the mythology of the world below.

Before we go into details of their histories, however, we must know who these two races actually are. The Sciro are an arachnoid people, clad in black carapace and with four legs and four arms, the top pair of which end in durable, powerful pincers that are typically used to crush stones into smaller, more easily-manipulable pieces. The Annelids, meanwhile, have upper bodies similar to hairless gorillas and lower bodies best compared to serpents, though legend goes that they were once most similar to worms; they find it easy to tunnel through earth, but areas of solid rock are obstacles that must be gone around. Based on these physiological differences, it is believed that the Sciro evolved further down than the Annelids, as stone becomes more common the further down one goes; however, both races frequented the caverns more often than they created their own, and it would be here that they would come into conflict.

Perhaps these races could have interacted with each other peaceably, still, had it not been for their religious differences, as each race's favored god bore similarities to the others' most hated figure. The Sciro worshipped The Nameless, a god of magic and craftsmanship whose myths most frequently depicted them overcoming Taurc, a brutish god of lifeless stone and selfishness, rumored to have stolen the Sciro from their old home in the sky to place them deep within the underground (modern scholars agree that there are no signs of Sciro evolving anywhere but the underground, due to noted genetic similarities with other organisms in the ecosystem). The Annelids, meanwhile, worshipped Toron, god of gravity and earth, who overcame the torments of a Faceless trickster-god with the endurance of stone, unrelentingly powering through their schemes until the trickster was forced to relent in order to save their own skin. Naturally, each race seeing the other worship a being they despise could only lead to conflict.
Interestingly, both mythologies revere an entity known as the Lifebringer, though in different ways; the Sciro worship them as the creator of the plants that fill the caverns, while the Annelids thanked them for the air they breathed; both believe that the Lifebringer created the animal life of the underground, from the smallest prey to the greatest predatory monsters, leaving them a figure to be equally respected and feared.

These thoroughly different religions, and the philosophies that come from them, lead us to the ancient empires of these venerable races. Sciro society, in its earliest days, was led by tribal wisemen, and as their civilization developed, it was those who could most prove their wisdom who were most respected, with their government developing into a strange form of semi-democratic meritocracy where highly-formalized structures of debate were used to identify those with the capacity to lead, and their culture giving most respect to innovators in the arcane arts, craftsmanship, and other such fields. Druidry came to be a prominent art in Sciro society, with practitioners being able to mold the stygian flora into useful forms or direct new growths at their whim.
Annelid society, meanwhile, turned in a martial direction early on, though with a much greater focus on the ability to defend the tribe than on the ability to project power; early chieftains were frequently chosen through trials of endurance, such as remaining atop a bed of hot coals for as long as one can; although these rituals fell away with time, Annelid leaders continued to have a system of dual leadership, with a military leader recognized by the full society and lightly holding authority above a more-distributed civilian government. So, too, did their culture more heavily emphasize professions requiring enduring physical exertion - the military, yes, but also miners, blacksmiths, and the like; other occupations, while not disrespected, were seen more as supporting the work of more-physical ones. Their culture did not, however, trust those who relied upon magic rather than material solutions; in their conflict with the Sciro, this drove them to the development of ever greater feats of metallurgy and crafting, with artefacts recovered from shortly before their empire's collapse nearing the quality of modern dwarven steel, which requires the use of runecraft in its production.

The wars between the empires that the Sciro and Annelids carved out have still left their marks on the caverns of today; grottos overgrown with the wild and dangerous products of feral druidry are often the source of beasts that must be killed to protect towns and cities, while every miner knows to be careful where they prospect, lest they unwittingly set off an ancient Annelid explosive or other trap. So what happened to these empires? The story is better known with the Annelids; a great dragon came to rest near their territories, and offered their people great treasures should they bend to its will. This set off a great civil war within the empire between those who wished to take the dragon's gifts for their own and those who were enraged at the thought of relinquishing their freedom; although the Adherents of the Wyrm were victorious, it was the loyalists who had the last laugh, as a group of insurgents, once members of the old empire, managed to sneak into the dragon's lair with a large quantity of blast powder and assassinated them, though none survived the mission.
Sciro society had a stranger disintegration; with their eternal enemy in chaos and no longer able to war against them, the Sciro no longer had much of a common enemy, and disagreement broke out over what was truly the best way forward. With the event being so long ago, what we have left of records are all legends, and many contradict each other; some claim that the Sciro, like their old enemies, fell into civil war, others claim that independent states were carved out of the old empire through mutual agreement, yet others say that these states came about just due to different sections of the population eventually deciding to stop listening to their political opponents, and more claim that the empire whittled itself down by exiling dissidents until it was no more powerful than the splinter states it had inadvertently spread across the underground. Whatever the case may be, just as the Annelid empire collapsed, so too did that of the Sciro.

So where has that left the two races today? Neither went extinct, after all, though the change in the Annelids' form is clear.
There are numerous Sciro city-states throughout the underground, but the Sciro themselves are more likely to be found having integrated themselves into more cosmopolitan civilizations, especially those with strong traditions of scholasticism or craftsmanship. Only a single Annelid state came out of their collapse, but it remains an influential one to this day, with the Adherents of the Wyrm still having a notable voice in the international politcs of the underground, albeit a much-reduced one in the face of various rising powers such as the dwarven Urick Confederacy and the drow Eight Families; beyond their borders, there are numerous respected Annelid mercenary companies and mining corporations. Though faith in the old gods has faded among both races, it still competes with more modern religions, both of the rising powers and those imported from the surface; the tensions these faiths caused, however, have mostly disappeared, with discrimination against the other race now being looked down upon rather than assumed as fact. Cultural works from Sciro and Annelid history remain, considered classics by modern underground society, and they are commonly subjects of study to see how they have affected the stories and art of the world below, both in the past and the modern day.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2022, 03:53:38 pm by Glass »
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: August 07, 2022, 09:39:04 pm »

Spend One Dominion: The Friar's Curse
We bind the Friar to Truth itself, forcing him to see and understand the wrongs he's committed. And boy are there a lot. Kidnapping, unjust murder, torture, brainwashing, quite a few crimes against humanity. And we force him to understand and work to rectify it. He is going to continue going around, finding magic users and, well, every criminal around and examining them (using the gift of Truth) to determine their guilt. Guilt according to our standards, that is. Basically just following the laws of the land except for when it comes to magic users, who, if they are guilty of major crimes, are delivered to us for judgement and punishment, those who have committed minor crimes are delivered to us to be examined and offered redemption through service. And all the while, the Friar knows that he is doing more good working for an actual Lich King than when he was operating on his own.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: August 07, 2022, 09:40:16 pm »

I'll provide the Dominion, so that we don't have to worry about voting on whether or not to use the one currently owned by Magnimian himself.

chubby2man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: August 07, 2022, 11:06:58 pm »

You wrangle the first shipments of smithing equipment out to Saunder’s Vale. You are easily able to pay for it with a few gems called from the earth, the merchants of Tarrow eagerly taking your money despite your unholiness. You may have also have dropped a few tips that there may be a river of wealth flowing for those who don’t mind consorting with the damned a bit.

In any case you spend several days out in the village, and beginning training those who are interested in learning how to smith. It is a complicated task, and while you aid them with your encyclopedic knowledge, it isn’t until you bring in a smith from a nearby town you begin to be assured that you are making solid progress.

Leaving Saunder’s Vale you travel to their neighboring villages. Having heard or even seen your skeleton workers, they are rather set against cooperating with you. However, once you bring up the economic benefits, the doors begin to open back up to you. Harvests can be unpredictable, and between rebels and an empire no one knows who will be coming down the road next. So a promise of some economic security goes a long way towards people’s fears.

Still, you know that a few of the more self-righteous will reach out and spread the word of a Lich King in the area.

Gain support of nearly all local villages in the area. Won’t turn you in to witch hunters or roaming paladins. Will expect laborers of their own within a few turns.

With this goodwill, do you:
A-Begin to attract people to your tower?
B-Keep the villagers in their villages.

We bind the Friar to Truth itself, forcing him to see and understand the wrongs he's committed. And boy are there a lot. Kidnapping, unjust murder, torture, brainwashing, quite a few crimes against humanity. And we force him to understand and work to rectify it. He is going to continue going around, finding magic users and, well, every criminal around and examining them (using the gift of Truth) to determine their guilt. Guilt according to our standards, that is. Basically just following the laws of the land except for when it comes to magic users, who, if they are guilty of major crimes, are delivered to us for judgement and punishment, those who have committed minor crimes are delivered to us to be examined and offered redemption through service. And all the while, the Friar knows that he is doing more good working for an actual Lich King than when he was operating on his own.

Also quick vote on this:
Modify the Friars Curse?
-Yes
-No

Investing a Dominion point (volunteered by Glass) by modifying the curse will push you over the threshold for your next level up.

Also Glass earns 2 dominion points with Acterianism, and the Sciro and the Annelids.

Due to “Underground” being one of our words, if you feel like making and writing up underground dwelling civilizations or creatures you may earn dominion points for doing so.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2022, 11:09:31 pm by chubby2man »
Sindari Immortals Play as an immortal being trying to subvert an evil empire of (for now) stronger immortals. On *very* long term hiatus.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: August 07, 2022, 11:10:40 pm »

B, I don't think we currently need staff.
Yes; I wouldn't have volunteered my Dominion for it if I wasn't happy to have it go through.

killerhellhound

• Bay Watcher
  • Friendly Master of !!MEDICINE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: August 07, 2022, 11:18:08 pm »

B, I don't think we currently need staff.
Yes; I wouldn't have volunteered my Dominion for it if I wasn't happy to have it go through.
+1

Also I bookmarked the lore you made glass to be stolen next time I make a dnd character  :)
My Sig
Fluttershy jumps onto TCM, giving him a hug. "~Yay~"*Player TCM has left the server. Reason: HHHHNNNNNGGGG-

We Madmen are very ingenious.  Sometimes it just takes just a little less sanity to pull off something completely awesome.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: August 07, 2022, 11:20:33 pm »

Oooh, which parts?

Fluffe9911

• Bay Watcher
  • Such ‼Socks‼ Much Fun
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: August 08, 2022, 12:43:12 am »

B
No Cursing someone to always speak the truth is one thing but at this point we are straight up brainwashing the poor bastard I know he is a terrible person but changing a persons entire identity and views like that against their will feels pretty horrible and against the whole (mostly) morally good necromancer thing we got going on.

(Also the irony of having brainwashing be part of your condemnations against him when you propose doing actual brainwashing against him is just wew)
« Last Edit: August 08, 2022, 12:50:30 am by Fluffe9911 »

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: August 08, 2022, 12:52:25 am »

Yeah, I'd support putting dominion into it but not changing the curse in a way which would alter his nature.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: August 08, 2022, 02:03:33 am »

B
No
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: August 08, 2022, 10:44:12 am »

OK then. Spending Dominion instead of just killing this Friar *isn't worth it* if we don't do SOMETHING to make him actually USEFUL to us. Either engineer him into an infiltrator who will rise through the ranks of the Church (probably also not possible nor worthwhile compared to just controlling a preexisting leader) to help smooth things over with them or making him otherwise work for us would be far, FAR better than just making him stop being a bad person. We KNOW he's committed crimes worth a death sentence so why not just carry that out and save ourselves the trouble?

Spend One Dominion (Alternative): An Honest Friar
The curse on the Friar is made permanent. He can only speak the truth, and always knows the truth...including in his own beliefs. It is engineered to ensure that he is physically unable to persecute those who are not guilty, and that he is forced to admit to the true extent of his targets' crimes and punish them only in accordance with what they've done. It also forces him to see the pain he causes by literally kidnapping children, and just as a contingency, in case that doesn't matter to him, will force him to never do that again. A slight side effect is that he can now also see what members of his own Church are guilty of, and would know exactly how to prove it.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

chubby2man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: August 08, 2022, 11:16:31 am »

Also, hey I thought about this last night while writing the update, but if you want to speed along significantly the smith training, you could invest a dominion point in that, able to support up to a thousand good smiths as you free up farmers.

Basically you would be investing some truth to guide them on how to best shape and work the metal.

Up to you all, I can retcon that in for the last update if you like. If not, the gradual training will still work over time.
Truth Enhanced Training Retcon? (Takes 1 Dominion, modifies the Worker Training: Smithing action)
-Yes
-No

And my apologies, probably should have had this option in from the start, it wasn’t really until I was writing it last night it occurred to me.
Sindari Immortals Play as an immortal being trying to subvert an evil empire of (for now) stronger immortals. On *very* long term hiatus.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 16