Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 47

Author Topic: Rogue Trader: Laughing Gold (IC)  (Read 40425 times)

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
Re: Rogue Trader: Laughing Gold (IC)
« Reply #630 on: November 02, 2023, 02:54:57 pm »

The imaginary whatshisname, being imaginary, decides to treat the situation like a dream and just try to walk through the walls. Failing that, the floors. After all, everything here is imaginary. Neither flag nor wind is moving, only mind is moving.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #631 on: November 02, 2023, 03:21:59 pm »

Well, you know what they say. You don't have to be faster than the bear, you just have to be faster than your friends. And humans are quite slow.

Conjure images of Indaria, the Captain, and whatshisname, and then immediately sprint away from them down the charted path.

You start running down the path, followed by your loyal human pets barring whatshisname, who immediately walks face first into the nearest wall instead. You do not stick around to see what happens next, but judging by the bloodied human bits the cat is playing with moments later his sacrifice has served as a valuable distraction.

Twisting and turning so often you get dizzy, you manage to successfully follow the correct path through the maze and near the exit. You find the exit is blocked by creatures that, if you knew what a cat was, would remind you of normal sized cats. Their tails are tied together in ratkings and their bodies form a wall, about twice your height and just as wide. They share eyes with the giant creature betraying their dangerous nature. 
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I want to be your blahaj.
    • View Profile
« Reply #632 on: November 02, 2023, 03:55:49 pm »

Telekinetically yeet the cattes.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #633 on: November 02, 2023, 04:44:46 pm »

Indaria, her catlike aspects slowly, gradually, beginning to become more and more prominent, her human ones less and less so, continues to accompany her Eldar friend.
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #634 on: November 03, 2023, 08:41:15 pm »

-I see this is all Warp madness, but what to do about that?- The imaginary Captain draws his weapons at that, eyeing the weird creature.
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #635 on: November 03, 2023, 08:52:03 pm »

Kedia mulls over what the shattered fragment of her own consciousness said for a moment, troubled.

"You mean Indaria? She's supposed to be like that. Nearly sure."

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #636 on: November 07, 2023, 12:05:54 am »

-...The non-crewmember, Kedia. The one that looks like a daemon.- Imaginary Marco adds.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2023, 09:51:33 am by Caellath »
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #637 on: November 07, 2023, 01:28:17 am »

"The big one? That's a demon."

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #638 on: November 08, 2023, 02:40:23 pm »

Telekinetically yeet the cattes.

You begin throwing the cat kings out of your path as Indaria seems to ponder betraying you for her own kind and the captain ponders how to defeat the giant deamon. This goes well at first, but the wall soon becomes a tidal wave with the cats moving forward as one screeching for blood. With no way to escape in the narrow maze both your imaginary crew members are buried and devoured messily. With the cats spreading out, you do find an opportunity to carve a full path with your mind-tossing bypassing the obstacle.

Followed by the cats in hot pursuit, you rush with the grace of an Eldar down the last stretch of maze. The giant cat attempts to block the path with its paw. You are able to squeeze between the fingers before the horde catches up to you. Despite all your trials you made it to the end of the maze, an open doorway with beams of light shining through. You successfully complete the encounter.

For three days you continue through the Warp, constantly sending directions to the Helmsmen as the path contentiously shifts as if in attempt to send you hurtling into the wall of wind. You arrive at the second trial. A vision of a light bulb. Inside the light bulb is a deamon made of lightning. Choosing this path will release a curse upon the ship's machine spirits. Unless someone aboard the crew can successfully fight the curse with tech use skills, several components will go offline until they get fixed (with the curse targeting the most vital components it can reach). On the outside of the light bulb is spiders webs of slimy mucus. Choosing this path will release a deadly disease onto the ship. Unless it is vanquished with successful application of Medicae, it will tear trough the crew claiming many lives.

Which path do you take?

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #639 on: November 08, 2023, 09:10:56 pm »

Disease path! I'm... sure that Indaria can handle it???

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #640 on: November 10, 2023, 04:42:23 pm »

Disease path! I'm... sure that Indaria can handle it???

You direct the ship towards the disgusting strands of mucus. While you are certain a pandemic is immanent, no large scale illnesses are reported (the infirmary remains busy taking care of the usual injuries of Warp travel including self harm, madness, and day to day accidents). A slow acting disease may give you a fighting chance, but it allows the disease to spread under your nose with no immediately obvious way of detecting it.

Day 1: Warp sickness inters the ship. No symptoms reported.

What measures are taken to fight this curse?

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #641 on: November 11, 2023, 03:48:34 pm »

Though she can't currently speak, Indaria can still give written orders, and has security personnel that can carry them out. The moment that she is notified of the problem she issues a disease hazard notice, with simple regular sanitation procedures being made mandatory and enforced, and notifies the medbay to prepare for demonic plague. Reporting of even minor disease symptoms is made mandatory, and all crew have their movements and interactions restricted and compartmentalized. Large gathering are forbidden, and personnel are even to remain near their stations for sleep in order to limit movement and socialization. Field Rations for the duration of the remaining warp journey are to be delivered immediately by servitor, and biological servitors, as identified by the crew's tech-priests as biological / disease capable since who else would be able to tell, are to have their movements restricted similar to the Crew. Crew performance is expected to dramatically suffer, but all of these heavy-handed restrictions are going to be lifted once we leave the Warp, and the notice that the restrictions will be lifted once out of the Warp is included with the orders. If the Captain permits it, then once we are clear of the warp and this threat we will shift to extremely light duty schedules for 4 days following the completion of our trip in the Warp, and the notification of this upcoming R&R compensation will, again, come with the notice of the current extreme restrictions on movement.

To give an example of the implementation of this, Strike Craft pilots are to remain in their quarters since there is no need for them to interact or perform normal duty functions while we're in the Warp. Their maintenance crews will be instead restricted to their work areas, and cots and temporary sleeping areas around workstations are both permitted and encouraged. However, different maintenance teams are to remain apart from each other at all times.

We might not know where the infection is, but we're going to compartmentalize the entire freaking ship so it has no chance to spread no matter where it started. We can take an efficiency hit to get this done.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2023, 03:50:39 pm by Lenglon »
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #642 on: November 11, 2023, 06:12:23 pm »

Though she can't currently speak, Indaria can still give written orders, and has security personnel that can carry them out. The moment that she is notified of the problem she issues a disease hazard notice, with simple regular sanitation procedures being made mandatory and enforced, and notifies the medbay to prepare for demonic plague. Reporting of even minor disease symptoms is made mandatory, and all crew have their movements and interactions restricted and compartmentalized. Large gathering are forbidden, and personnel are even to remain near their stations for sleep in order to limit movement and socialization. Field Rations for the duration of the remaining warp journey are to be delivered immediately by servitor, and biological servitors, as identified by the crew's tech-priests as biological / disease capable since who else would be able to tell, are to have their movements restricted similar to the Crew. Crew performance is expected to dramatically suffer, but all of these heavy-handed restrictions are going to be lifted once we leave the Warp, and the notice that the restrictions will be lifted once out of the Warp is included with the orders. If the Captain permits it, then once we are clear of the warp and this threat we will shift to extremely light duty schedules for 4 days following the completion of our trip in the Warp, and the notification of this upcoming R&R compensation will, again, come with the notice of the current extreme restrictions on movement.

To give an example of the implementation of this, Strike Craft pilots are to remain in their quarters since there is no need for them to interact or perform normal duty functions while we're in the Warp. Their maintenance crews will be instead restricted to their work areas, and cots and temporary sleeping areas around workstations are both permitted and encouraged. However, different maintenance teams are to remain apart from each other at all times.

We might not know where the infection is, but we're going to compartmentalize the entire freaking ship so it has no chance to spread no matter where it started. We can take an efficiency hit to get this done.

As the only one in the retinue with any medical experience, Indaria is left in charge of the ship's defenses against the mysterious illness. Crew morale is high enough that the orders from on high are obeyed with minimal grumbling or need for strict enforcement by the armsmen under her command. She does receive official complaints from two sources over the lockdown - the loudest being a flowery letter from those tasked with protecting the ship's souls, signed by most of the Ecclesiarchical members and lay-preachers aboard the ship. Their concern is that blocking services to the Emperor while in the Warp is more deadly than any disease could hope to be, and note that they are unable to root out corruption if they are stuck at their post. The second is less formal, the chirugeons complaining about being overwhelmed by minor medical complaints. According to them, many of the lowest-ranking on the ship are taking advantage of the order to try and get medical care for preexisting conditions by reporting symptoms as if they where caused by the warp disease putting unnecessary strain on the ship's medical resources at a time such a thing is potentially devastating.

Day 2: Most of the day goes by quietly, with the ship's inhabitants cloistered away into their own sections. Then the outbreak hits. In one of the overcrowded infirmaries a group of mutants attempting to report their symptoms is assaulted by a group of low-ranking voidsmen blaming them for the plague. They are beaten to death - but their corpses return to life and begin assaulting their assailants. The stampede of people attempting to escape the undead crushes many unfortunates creating more moving corpses, with very few of the luckiest escaping alive to report the undead infestation that is now taking hold in the voidsmen quarters.

It would seem the disease is less subtle then initially believed.

Current symptoms: Dead returning to life and assaulting the living.

(It probably isn't clear from the writeup, but I did roll Medicae for the result. You may attempt to reroll as normal using a Fate point if you want.)

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #643 on: November 11, 2023, 10:51:09 pm »

Indaria has no sympathy to either of these complaints.

Although her Captain is quite devout, Indaria doesn't participate in traditional services, and doesn't consider herself welcome to them in the first place. Others being put in the situation she lives every day really does not bother her in the slightest, and as far as she's concerned that message never reached her. oops?

As for the, more reasonable but still unimpressive, complaint of the overworked medbay, that wouldn't be a problem in the first place if those minor medical needs had been addressed in a timely manner. If it really is as bad as they said, then the procedure could be changed to provide immediate relief, but there would need to be an inquiry into why the needs of the people they're supposed to care for have been overlooked up until now, aka: "So what you're saying you haven't been doing your job properly and it's coming back to bite you?" Alternately if it isn't actually that bad, then there's no need to change things now is there? She's fine letting them pick which option they prefer. Especially since she suspects that the real reason these people have so many minor needs that are only now being addressed is because they're mutants, like her, and their needs were being actively ignored. Other mutants getting proper medical care for once really doesn't bother her one bit.

However, finding out that it's a plague of undeath amoungst the voidsmen, things change. Fast. Armsmen are to be mobilized, and large cargo rooms cleared out with additional rooms adjacent to them also cleared. The armsmen are to be masked up, and the mission is to evacuate the voidsmen from the threatened and infected quarters area and move them to opened up cargo spaces. Once they've evacuated the voidsmen to the cargo rooms, the armsmen themselves will be quartered in the adjacent rooms, and are to assume that every single evacuated person as well as they themselves are infected, and supplies will need to be delivered to them, but since there's a chance their precautions will work they'll be kept separate from their charges. If the evacuated voidsmen attempt to contact the rest of the ship, the armsmen assigned to them must stop them. If anyone dies, they are to be cremated on the spot. Issue flamers, incendiary devices, and promethium, to every unit of armsmen for this purpose.

Also: get clarity on the report of the dead rising up. Was it only the voidsmen that become undead? Are the mutants unaffected?

Medical is getting an armsmen squad assigned to it 24/7, and anyone in critical care will have their treatment overseen by an armsman with the express purpose of making sure that if someone dies, they don't harm our medicae.

One of the nice things about having people compartmentalized like this, the hallways will be generally empty. It should be easy to get moving fast on this. and frankly, plague of undeath is a nice relief. For once, the disease IS something she can shoot. lets get to it! Full military, weapons hot, time to show what we can do.

Though, she is now much more willing to relax her earlier quarentine requirements. They remain in-place, but exceptions can be made as needed, and the request for people to bring even minor issues to the medicae, now that we have samples of what the disease is and does, can be removed.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2023, 11:04:41 pm by Lenglon »

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #644 on: November 11, 2023, 11:15:00 pm »

That disease wouldn't have even been noticed on an eldar ship, since the crew dying in droves wouldn't be a regular occurrence. But these short-lived and volatile creatures have the potential to let it spread and spread.

Perhaps it's for the best if the curses of chaos are adjusted to prey on the weak. They adapt to the dominant species and become weaker for it.
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 47