Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 12

Author Topic: Roll to learn magic (5/8) Day 5  (Read 17107 times)

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to learn magic (5/8) Day 2
« Reply #120 on: August 28, 2022, 09:48:37 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Right, fuck exploring.
Let's have some fishy breakfast of dried bluegill, and go fishing. No strenuous activity, and as little weight on my foot as possible.
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

Knightwing64

• Bay Watcher
  • The Most Handsome Bay12 Member
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to learn magic (5/8) Day 4
« Reply #121 on: September 02, 2022, 08:31:50 pm »

Attempt to use magic now that I have? It

johiah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: September 04, 2022, 08:49:36 pm »

Day 4, turn 13. Wet.

It seems to be drizzling right now, and everything is getting a little wet.

Return my axe to the tool-shed.

Hypothesis: Mana can affect mana. If ambient mana affects my mana strings, I should be able to form a mana sense.
Experiment: Try to form and hold two mana strings, one per hand. If I can't, then just make one. It's not the core of the experiment, but the differences from two different inputs should make it easier, like pinpointing a sound's source with both ears.
  Meditate and try to sense changes in the strings to sense mana in the environment, or in my peers.

Practice Entropy magic on a large branch. Try to cut it into sections with clean cuts, as though I was cutting firewood from a log. Try a plane or crossed # shape in my mana string, to direct the effect to a cross-section.

Wherein I try to create a new way to sense mana, without ever having tried normally, and without knowing that I have two other states of mana that are probably more useful for a passive sense. This is a good idea, trust me.
The axe goes back in the shed. Lose axe.
Forming two strings, one in each hand, goes quite well. After not long at all they've settled into position and are being sustained by your will, lying mostly motionless.

Your attempt to look, to sense external mana, does yield results. Just not in the way you expected. The strings keep trembling, and as you narrow your focus on them in an attempt to discern the cause, you notice a second energy flowing through your body. It flows into your arms, up to the fingertips, and back out. As you expand your point of focus from your arms to your entire body, you come to the realization that this energy, though faintly visible to your sight as of yet, is flowing in massive loops throughout your entire body. Through your stomach, your lungs, your head, your fingers. All is connected. This second energy seems more real, less imaginary, and thus harder to sense. It gives off much more of a sense of presence and purpose than your core does.

While your personal mana doesn't seem to interact much with this other energy, it does nonetheless seem likely that this second energy introduces too much agitation to any mana inside your body for you to use it as an external dowsing odd. You retract the spools carefully, shaking chills out of your arms as you prepare for the next experiment.

Same as when you tried to join two sticks together, the reverse seems to also not work. As you stubbornly focus your energies on splitting the branch, you accidentally stumble onto a new spell! Instead of rotting or breaking down the wood into crumbly component parts, you've learned how to apply crude force with mana! By focusing your mana into a blade shape and moving it towards the branch while focusing on the idea of pushing, moving, and splitting, (in all the forms that entails,) you manage to cut into the branch roughly a fingers width deep. As you push the blade in further it seems to lose cohesion and turn back into a diffuse mass of energy. Bad image, lack of practice, or some other problem? Lose 1 hunger, 1 mana.

Bah, I'll eat as much as I want.

Anyway.. it seems like I can move magic to the sparkles, but I need some way to tell the sparkles what to do with it.  Mmm!  Back to the beginning again.

What I really want is stuff like throwing fireballs by saying "Fireball" and waving my hands around.  With the flow responding to what I do, even if entirely automatically, and the sparkles reacting to getting fed bits of the blob, even if they don't do anything..  there should be some way of translating things I do with my body into magic, I'm just missing a key element.

Maybe it's not possible?  Maybe you can only think it into happening?  Visualize stuff?

"..I should try to think it into working the way I want."

Hypothesis:  I can think it into doing the stuff I want by visualizing it.  Instead of casting a spell that does something, lets try to cast a spell that makes it work the way I want  Or changes me so that I work the way I want to.

Try to reshape a big blob chunk into a caricature of myself.  Sit down somewhere, and shape the blob into a little me, in the same position I am.

Try to visualize the various aspects of the body as well, and add them into the little blob.  Body heat.  The various magic aspects.  Hair.  Blood vessels.  Nerves.  Try to make it into a little simulacrum, as complete and accurate as I can.

Trying to mess with this much mana was, apparently, a horrendous idea. You lose control of most of the Blob while it's still inside your body, and even as it disperses it runs rampant, disrupting the flow through sheer mass, sending waves of shock running through your whole body. You topple to the ground, groaning in pain and taking shuddering gasps.

Eventually the numerous pain signals and other senses running rampant through your body settle enough for you to sit up and take a shaky drink of water. This really sucks. Lose 1 hunger, 5 mana.

Right, fuck exploring.
Let's have some fishy breakfast of dried bluegill, and go fishing. No strenuous activity, and as little weight on my foot as possible.
((Did you drop the sword and shield you had?))

Some bluegill gets eaten, and you feel a bit better. Lose 3 bluegill fillet. Gain 4 hunger.
You manage to catch another 3 decently sized fish, and no fishing related incidents happen this time. You feel like you might be getting a better understanding of where the fish like to hide in this river, and such. Gain 3 medium fish.

Attempt to use magic now that I have? It
Gain permanent status: ___touched. Add ___ energy: ___/___ and ___ satisfaction: ___/___ to your character sheet.
Late in the morning, you wake with a blinder of a headache and furiously thirsty. You find yourself once more in the bare empty chamber, the only sign that something happened being the leaf you're resting on. Even the runic circuit seems to be dormant and dark. Deep inside you, perhaps attached to or even suckling on your core, is a massive, writhing, pulsing sphere of angry red energy. Tendrils extend out from it to every part of your body, like a second set of blood vessels.
With a shrug, you get to work testing out your new power. At first nothing happens, but once your step outside of the room at the end of the cave, you see that all is well. You can't help but let out a laugh of delight at how easy it is to use! With hardly any focus and no meditation at all, you seize control of the sword that was laying at your feet and telekinetically lift it to your hand. With a second gesture from your other hand, the raw stone of the cave wall quickly shapes itself into a chair, molded perfectly to your form and surprisingly comfortable. Gain mysterious sword. Lose 2 hunger, 4 mana. Lose _ ___ energy.

((Shuffled the smoked meat that started in the shed to be on its own line for clarity))
Spoiler: Locations (click to show/hide)

Every 3 days is most certainly not happening, both to make room for college homework, housemates/social thing, and to allow time for player responses. Not that this takes long to write, maybe 45 minutes, but it is fairly low on the priority list. Apologies for the delay!
« Last Edit: September 05, 2022, 05:37:22 pm by johiah »
Quote from: AoshimaMichio
Oh no, you won't laser my death star.
On a fun note, all of the beds just starting disintegrating

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: September 04, 2022, 10:34:52 pm »

(No health damage?)

"Ouch."

"Does this mean I'm totally wrong, or does it mean I'm onto something?  That's the first time I've tried a spell and it's actually done anything."

You know what?  Lets just try it.

Hold my hand around, finger out, behind my head.  Say 'Fireball', while visualizing a fireball forming at my fingertip.  Then swing my hand forward and imagine a fireball streaking away in front of me.

After that doesn't work..

Lets focus it down.  The only actual magical thing I have is my hair, which isn't supposed to be blue.  I know that much.  So instead of doing a massive simulacrum, do a simulacrum of just my head.  If that works, move the blob-created image to my head, having it engulf it.  Once the image matches up with my head, change the simulacrum's hair colour to green, while letting all the other parts dissipate.

Then, with the focus down to just the virtual green hair, envision the sparkles making my actual hair green, instead of blue.

« Last Edit: September 05, 2022, 01:23:22 am by Devastator »

johiah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: September 05, 2022, 10:03:32 am »

(No health damage?)
-snip-
(Not yet, no)

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: September 05, 2022, 03:38:36 pm »

The issue here that you're running into is that the heat needs to happen all at once rather than slowly, or it just leaks into the environment
I was hoping to do the same thing I did to break pebbles. It would seem, then, that exact wording, and how we label things, are important.

Spoiler: Nathan (click to show/hide)

Set my tent up.

Practice with my new motion/splitting spell. Borrow a tool with a blade from the supply shed, and use it as a focus for the spell. I want to shape my mana into a blade where the blade is, or just in front of it, and try to cut something to see if it will maintain cohesion better.
Try the idea of a sword in motion.
Put the tool back when I'm done.

Spell names simplified to Separate and Combine.

I just spent two day's worth of mana, so I'll have to both practice casting my old spells with this new mana to see what happens, and try to push it into my core to recharge.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2022, 07:41:16 pm by Nirur Torir »

johiah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: September 05, 2022, 03:58:03 pm »

The issue here that you're running into is that the heat needs to happen all at once rather than slowly, or it just leaks into the environment
I was hoping to do the same thing I did to break pebbles. It would seem, then, that exact wording, and how we label things, are important.
Ah, apologies. You did have it consistently labeled in your character sheet, I just can't read. I could rewrite that portion of your turn, if you'd like

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: September 05, 2022, 05:04:39 pm »

Ah, apologies. You did have it consistently labeled in your character sheet, I just can't read. I could rewrite that portion of your turn, if you'd like
Please do, I'll have to test it again once I have mana, otherwise.
I'll try to be more clear in the future.

johiah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: September 05, 2022, 05:37:38 pm »

Please do, I'll have to test it again once I have mana, otherwise.
I'll try to be more clear in the future.
Updated. But really, it was entirely my fault here

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: September 05, 2022, 07:28:36 pm »

This is useful. This is very useful.

I'd been thinking the spell types parallel thermodynamics and molecular mechanics, but motion and splitting being together axes that idea.
Having separate spells for motion/splitting and destruction/entropy/separation implies a sizable number of spells, instead of my idea of fewer small basic spells.
In light of the above, and my names confusing johiah, I need to figure new names out. I'd assumed they were very broad effects when naming them.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to learn magic (5/8) Day 2
« Reply #130 on: September 08, 2022, 06:07:49 pm »

Let’s... just keep fishing, I guess.
My ankle is fucked up, I don’t want to go move around and stuff!
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

johiah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: September 10, 2022, 11:57:31 am »

Still waiting on Knightwing

Knightwing64

• Bay Watcher
  • The Most Handsome Bay12 Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: September 10, 2022, 01:54:21 pm »

Oop, my bad I totally forgot about this, I blame the numbing effects of ice cream.

Use my newfound magic to get even more magic, with a magically simple process of MAGIK

Will post updated character sheet after next turn

johiah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: September 17, 2022, 02:30:16 pm »

Day 4, turn 14. Wet.

The rain continues.

(No health damage?)

"Ouch."

"Does this mean I'm totally wrong, or does it mean I'm onto something?  That's the first time I've tried a spell and it's actually done anything."

You know what?  Lets just try it.

Hold my hand around, finger out, behind my head.  Say 'Fireball', while visualizing a fireball forming at my fingertip.  Then swing my hand forward and imagine a fireball streaking away in front of me.

After that doesn't work..

Lets focus it down.  The only actual magical thing I have is my hair, which isn't supposed to be blue.  I know that much.  So instead of doing a massive simulacrum, do a simulacrum of just my head.  If that works, move the blob-created image to my head, having it engulf it.  Once the image matches up with my head, change the simulacrum's hair colour to green, while letting all the other parts dissipate.

Then, with the focus down to just the virtual green hair, envision the sparkles making my actual hair green, instead of blue.

There is, perhaps, the slightest stirring of the blob when you concentration reaches its peak during the motion. Other than that, nothing really happens. A fireball may be too complex an idea, for now?

It would see that shaping the blob that intricately is yet beyond you.

While going through this whole process, you do stumble onto something that might be useful. It would seem that chanting your intention helps to stabilize your will and reduce distractions. Saying out loud details of the shape you were trying to sculpt did help with sculpting, though your control seems to still be far below what is needed for something head shaped. Having so much of the blod outside of your body seems to have resulted in some lost energy, especially during lapses of concentration. Lose 1 mana, 2 food.

Set my tent up.

Practice with my new motion/splitting spell. Borrow a tool with a blade from the supply shed, and use it as a focus for the spell. I want to shape my mana into a blade where the blade is, or just in front of it, and try to cut something to see if it will maintain cohesion better.
Try the idea of a sword in motion.
Put the tool back when I'm done.

Spell names simplified to Separate and Combine.

I just spent two day's worth of mana, so I'll have to both practice casting my old spells with this new mana to see what happens, and try to push it into my core to recharge.

Tent has been set up, and bedding taken from the shed. Luckily while it is still raining, the shed does seem to be mostly leak proof, meaning the precious blankets are dry. Small mercies. Genesis field updated.

You retrieve a longknife from the shed. With a slight effort of will, strands run from your core through your arm, and up to the blade. The unformed strands don't seem to interact with the knife at all. You cut the connection to your core, spooling the energy up to form a second, invisible blade in front of the knife. When your arm swings, the mana follows. You're pretty sure this has nothing to do with the knife and everything to do with you mentally tying the mana to that position relative to your fist. When you focus on the concept of cutting, splitting and sundry, and apply it to the mana, something peculiar happens. It begins to glow, visibly! Eyeing the blade closer with your mental sense of it, you can feel mana slowly leaking out of the blade structure, apparently transforming into waste heat and light in the process.

Setting that aside for later, swinging your knife into various bits of wood shows that attaching the process of cutting to a physical motion seems to go a great deal in helping it maintain coherency and cutting power. It doesn't quite cut like a hot knife in butter, but your shimmery, sparkly, warm to the touch knife is cutting through wood far better than a knife has any right to. Using the same amount of mana as before, you get quite a few more cuts in this time. In the end, the mana blade fades in intensity considerably, like sand slipping through the fingers of your mental sense, before a swing shatters its coherency into a rapidly dispersing blob. Lose 1 mana. Lose 1 hunger.

Let’s... just keep fishing, I guess.
My ankle is fucked up, I don’t want to go move around and stuff!
Apparently, some of the fish can fight back. One of them bit your arm in the process of reeling it in! Oh well, live and learn. Lose 1 health, 2 hunger. Gain 3 medium fish, 1 large fish. Intermediate fishing learned.

Oop, my bad I totally forgot about this, I blame the numbing effects of ice cream.

Use my newfound magic to get even more magic, with a magically simple process of MAGIK

Will post updated character sheet after next turn
Hmm. She mentioned something about... feeding the shard? Probably worth learning how to do. You try to siphon some of that white, formless energy floating in the core of your being. It latches on greedily and... keeps pulling? Your limbs suddenly feel weak and cold, your breath comes in short gasps. After and eternity and a heartbeat, you manage to yank back control. It takes some time for the empty feeling in your body and mind to fade. Being extremely ravenous, you eat all the deer bits you had on you. Gain 8 energy and 1 satisfaction. Lose 4 health, 5 mana.

Spoiler: Locations (click to show/hide)

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: September 17, 2022, 07:01:12 pm »

Spell Concept: Motion/Splitting renamed to Proto Spell: Magic Edge.
I have apparently reached a new mana control milestone, I can now form and control a spell after cutting the mana strings.
If I can figure out how to anchor Magic Edge to a different mana type, I might be able to give enchanted blades out. I'd be willing to teach it, but I don't think anybody else has enough Blob Mana Control.

Eat my fill of the smoked meat that's going bad.
Try to figure out what control I have over the second mana type I found, the more physical one that circulates naturally. I don't expect to get this far this turn, and don't want to rush "CUT IT OFF AND SEE WHAT HAPPENS!" experiments, but I want to work towards the idea of trying to affix a bit of it to an object, and anchoring Magic Edge to that.
Test my abilities to control Blob Mana without strings. How far can it go before I lose control? Can I extend that range by holding mana strings near it? How far can I extend a mana string?
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 12