Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11

Author Topic: BECOME THE JUGGERNAUT (AR/SG) - Decision Phase - "Mustard-Colored Dust"  (Read 7085 times)

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Quote from: Votebox
Salvage (9): Frostgiant, m1895, Glass, Madman, MoP, King Zultan, Secretdorf, C2M,. Rockeater
Design (1): Stirk
Damnit people, this is why I said to keep the truce. Because now everyone's ganging up on the cats.
Also, don't forget to contact your local Eldritch Being(s), so that they can help with our mission to destroy the universe.

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile

The first priority that presents itself to you - both eking some information out of this shattered room and hopefully finding materials that would be a bit more useful in putting something together to defend yourself with.

The first step to that, though, is a bit of a nerve-wracking one: seeing just how well you are able to move around the room. Thankfully, the answer to this question seems to be a mostly favorable one, if not perfect; you feel just a little bit of dizziness, and some fatigue, and it can take you a moment to get your bearings, and along with the headache this can inhibit things. However, the good news is that this seems to be the only set of serious obstacles you're facing right now, and even there they seem to be well on the mend. The injuries to your legs sting, but your legs are by no means buckling under you, and the cuts were probably pretty shallow. Walking down the stairs of the catwalk turns out to be a little easier than anticipated, too - it helps that you seem to have some level of muscle memory with this staircase, and though a hand to the railing helps keep you steady, you don't really anticipate worrying about falling too much as you make your way down to the first level.

...you lost time, again, you realize. A glance up at the sky reveals that the sun hasn't changed position much, if at all - maybe you only lost a few minutes? It's getting a lot better. Still, you don't have a lot of time to waste, especially with this little issue in mind, and it's about time to get to the task of scavenging.

The downstairs section of this room appears to be some sort of central work area for what is some sort of druid-engineering complex, judging both by the tools present here and by the layout of the room itself. The central table itself contains a large but removable-seeming resin monitor at the center (currently, of course, cracked beyond the point of immediate usefulness), with a couple of keyboard and mouse setups around the table probably connected to that screen. A frame for holding a large piece of paper near the center is also on the table, although unfortunately the paper presently there is in fact blank. The rations that you've been using are still here - you aren't actually quite sure how many of them you've taken, but judging by the wrapper count up there, it's been probably a few days. The rations (consisting of some more nutrient-packed protein-like blocks, but also some meats and even fresh fruit like mangoes and papayas) haven't rotted, due to an enchantment of life preservation on them, and probably never will. Quite a few chairs circle around the table, but they've only got a slight, consumer-grade durability enchantment.

The table isn't the only piece of furniture in the room; desks are along one side of the room, firmly under the catwalk - and, thankfully, not under the side of the catwalk by the massive hole in the roof, which is in fact collapsed. Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be much along the lines of actual filled plans or paperwork here either, nor even in the large row of file cabinets, nearby. In fact, those cabinets seem to be have been opened and are glaringly empty, with one that was likely jammed shut by some piece of shrapnel in fact being broken partially open, with its contents burnt to ashes inside of the cabinet itself. The desks and cabinets aren't a total wash, though - there appear to be multiple toolkits left in this area, many of them opened and flipped over, and leafing briefly through them indicates that they're each missing different individual items. Some of the items these toolkits have are actually missing from your own toolkit - you don't quite know what they are, but a bit of experimentation could probably turn up something useful.

A couple of the bodies also turn up hand weapons of their own - one of them is a laser weapon in not dissimilar condition from yours, but there actually is also what appears to be a ballistic weapon of some sort, pristine except for the fact that there isn't any ammo in it.

Heavily reinforcement-enchanted wood, scattered from the walls, is scattered around the room as well. This appears to come in two levels of reinforcement, with larger chunks of the less reinforced wood and smaller, more root-like pieces of the more reinforced wood that makes up the gnarled reinforcement structures that crawl up along the wall. One of the corpses is clutching a broken piece of the latter. The pieces of wood that can be found in here are of different levels of damage - you could probably find a conveniently-sized piece, or conveniently-sized pieces of the more heavily-reinforced wood nearly undamaged, but it would take a little bit of time.

One of the doors from the room leads to, well, bathrooms. These are only lightly damaged, but are also largely just tiled with and furnished with earthenware such as porcelain - after all, woe betide the guy who elects to design a bathroom out of fucking wood. There are a few pipes in here which also appear to be ceramic. The other main door is labeled by a sign as leading to "offices/testing", but you can't open it - it feels like it's blocked by something. There's also an external door, which you elect not to screw around with until you're ready to deliberately go outside, lest that potentially be a risk.

Back up on the catwalk, it looks like there were two more consoles. One of them is on the collapsed side of the catwalk, where the console is not only pretty utterly destroyed, but a very mangled corpse lies among the wreckage. The other one, however, looks completely intact, with no body present. Not only is it intact, in fact, but it's actually... messing with it reveals it to be working, somehow, text filling up the screen. Primarily, it's listing the following: "Roof T.O.W.E.R. Defense Emplacement 2 Status Report:" and then listing off a rather disturbing amount of damage. Still, if you could find a way onto that roof, there's the wreckage of what appears to be some sort of large laser emplacement up there. It would be a difficult process and probably take about all of your scavenging time to access that wreckage, but... maybe it could be done!

What do you want to further search for and break down in this salvage? If you're breaking down salvage, what are you trying to extract from it?

Time Units until Enemy Returns: 3-5
Spoiler: Status (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Current Equipment (click to show/hide)

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile

(A lot of) Shattered or Damaged Computer Wreckage (contains, for instance, wood, plasticresin, electronics)

Mostly junk.

1 Intact Computer (Like the former but completely undamaged; you could extract full parts from this, though obviously it'd stop it from working. Maybe you could also glean some more information on the "T.O.W.E.R. Defense Emplacement".)

Presumably running electricity. We could plug our lasers into the electric grid/computer battery.

Wooden Furniture (Table, Desks, Cabinets - consumer-grade reinforcement enchantment, but mostly they're just the most easily-accessible wood.)

Could make a barricade to protect us, otherwise potential component for a weapon. Or pointy stick if we get really desperate.

2x Broken Hand Laser (You don't fully know what the plans are for this thing, but you can tell that it contains an electronic core, roots enchanted to transform electricity into light, a metallic barrel-like device at the front end, and what is probably a battery.)

Best bet for our weapon if we can fix or modify it.

Intact Hand Pistol (Toying with this for a couple of minutes reveals it to likely significantly simpler than the lasers. Although its remarkably flat, chevron-like barrel is treated wood, it actually has a metallic core, with a spot for some sort of flat tube magazine to go in the back.)

Great if we can find or make some bullets. Which could be our immediate goal.

Other Toolsets (Not all of these tools are in your toolbox... maybe you could look for something to help with specific tasks.)

Arbitrarily powerful tools. Good place to both find potential weapons and things to make whatever we want to make.

Bathroom Earthenware (Stoneware piping, porcelain tiles, and porcelain furniture make up this bathroom.)

Heat shielding I guess?

Rations (Aside from rations being useful for... y'know... eating, they also make up organic material for druidcraft and have a life-preservation enchantment.)

Maybe we can feed it to our gun?

Structural-Grade Wood (Wood heavily enchanted for particular reinforcement. The stuff making up the bulk of the walls is more lightly enchanted than the stuff making up the supports. Pieces of both types are all over the floor.)

The better version of the furniture. Can also presumably used to make personal armor.
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile

Alright. So we are up against an electronic robot. We have a root that makes electricity into light. If we get this inside the robot we can probably destroy it in one hit. So here is a plan:

1) Remove the Root from a Laser

2) Use the wood-shaping tool to transform it into a spear

3) Find a tool that can perform reinforcing enchantments in the toolbox.

4) Make the electricity eating spear strong enough pierce the robot

5) Stab robot, turn its own electricity into light killing it from the inside.

If we could make something to launch said spear we'd probably be in a better position. We could make a crossbow, spring gun, or other launcher out of wood if we have enough time somehow.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

If there's a big laser thing on the roof that would mean we're in some kind of military installation and that would mean there's an armory somewhere, so my idea is we try to get into one of the areas we can't get into right now.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So, a important thing here- we have not found any intact laser pistols, and someone took the ammo from the intact bullet pistol. There are two possible explanations for this:
-Other survivors (operating under the assumption that we are a survivor with weird amnesia, which I doubt is actually the case, but w/e) took the functional weapons with them.
-Powder just didn't want us to have weapons we could pick up off the ground, so conveniently all the (loaded) weapons were destroyed in the attack.

If the former is true, then presumably they knew they could use the weapons against the robots, and that they wouldn't just weigh them down for no purpose. In which case, defeating Tutorialbot shouldn't pose a major challenge- just repairing and boosting a laser pistol ought to be sufficient. Of course, that would be boring, but it's important to remember we have that as a sort of fallback option if a more elaborate design goes awry.

Also important to remember (which Powder clarified on Discord); we can use all the salvage in the room regardless of what we choose to focus on this phase. This choice is what salvage we want to refine into an better/easier to use form; we can still use other bits in a more crude form.

Anyway. Problem with spear is that we either have to get up close and personal, or make a bunch for fighting multiple enemies. Mind you, it is somewhat entertaining- and hey, the robot started with the stabbing, we'd just be following its lead. But I think we'd want something like a shield (made of the reinforced wood), or armour (likewise reinforced wood), to prevent the robot from just stabbing us first.
Long Live United Forenia!

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile

So, a important thing here- we have not found any intact laser pistols, and someone took the ammo from the intact bullet pistol. There are two possible explanations for this:
-Other survivors (operating under the assumption that we are a survivor with weird amnesia, which I doubt is actually the case, but w/e) took the functional weapons with them.
-Powder just didn't want us to have weapons we could pick up off the ground, so conveniently all the (loaded) weapons were destroyed in the attack.

If the former is true, then presumably they knew they could use the weapons against the robots, and that they wouldn't just weigh them down for no purpose. In which case, defeating Tutorialbot shouldn't pose a major challenge- just repairing and boosting a laser pistol ought to be sufficient. Of course, that would be boring, but it's important to remember we have that as a sort of fallback option if a more elaborate design goes awry.

Also important to remember (which Powder clarified on Discord); we can use all the salvage in the room regardless of what we choose to focus on this phase. This choice is what salvage we want to refine into an better/easier to use form; we can still use other bits in a more crude form.

Anyway. Problem with spear is that we either have to get up close and personal, or make a bunch for fighting multiple enemies. Mind you, it is somewhat entertaining- and hey, the robot started with the stabbing, we'd just be following its lead. But I think we'd want something like a shield (made of the reinforced wood), or armour (likewise reinforced wood), to prevent the robot from just stabbing us first.

As I mentioned in the Discord I always intended to make some armor too, which was one of the reasons I wanted to design instead of Scavenge.

The spear would be a purpose built tool under the impression that we will get another Design phase before the next fight, at which point we can modify it to kill whatever we need next or make an entirely new weapon. If we really need to we can make two. Or an unlimited amount, if we can cut them in half then modify both ends into a spear. It really isn't clear how the woodshaping works yet.

We could presumably make a spear thrower with little effort if we wanted.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile

I'm currently leaning towards clear wreckage to access the laser battery or go for the tools/wood/pistols.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Salvage Plan: Nerd Shit

Loot toolboxes for tools we might be missing that could help with the following:
Break down the intact computer with a focus on acquiring computer hardware and electronic components (including any potential power supply)
Break down the hand lasers, focusing on firing mechanisms

Quote from: Box of Ideas
Nerd Shit (1): MoP

Reason to do Nerd Shit: get stuff to make a little buddy or deployable turret or other somesuch laser-using thing that'll operate away from our weak fleshy body.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2022, 05:50:34 pm by Man of Paper »

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile

Salvage Plan: Wreck-It Bob

Find a path to the laser battery.

Wreck-It Bob (1): Doomblade
« Last Edit: May 26, 2022, 05:52:31 pm by Doomblade187 »
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile

Salvage Plan Lance of Light Longinus
Look in the toolbox for tools to reinforce wood
Remove Light Root from lasers
Find armor-sized reinforced wood

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Wreck-It Bob (2): Doomblade, King Zultan
Salvage Plan Lance of Light Longinus (0):
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile

By the way, pretty much all of these plans would be within one difficulty of Easy (although Doom's plan needs more detail to really be valid).

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Salvage Plan "Better Nerd Shit"
Loot toolboxes for tools we might be missing that could help with the following:
Search through Damaged Computers for intact (or repairable) electronic components.
Break down both hand lasers, attempting to learn something about the structure whilst doing so.

Goal: Like MoP's plan, get the electronics and laser bits needed to make an autonomous/remote-controlled laser thing. As Powder indicated all existing plans are fairly easy, I figure we could maybe leave the intact computer operational for a bit, in case it is useful later, and can put some more effort into breaking down the lasers to gain more experience.

Wreck-It Bob (2): Doomblade, King Zultan
Salvage Plan Lance of Light Longinus (0):
Better Nerd Shit (1): NUKE9.13
Long Live United Forenia!

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

We should also note that powder has stated that wreck it bob needs more info to be valid
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11