Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 11

Author Topic: BECOME THE JUGGERNAUT (AR/SG) - Decision Phase - "Mustard-Colored Dust"  (Read 7068 times)

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Quote from: Box of Ideas
Nerd Shit (1): MoP
Wreck-It Bob (1): King Zultan
Salvage Plan Lance of Light Longinus (2): Maximum Spin, Stirk
Better Nerd Shit (5): NUKE9.13, Madman, Doomblade, m1895, Rockeater
« Last Edit: May 29, 2022, 12:46:11 pm by Rockeater »
Damnit people, this is why I said to keep the truce. Because now everyone's ganging up on the cats.
Also, don't forget to contact your local Eldritch Being(s), so that they can help with our mission to destroy the universe.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Quote from: Box of Ideas
Nerd Shit (1): MoP
Wreck-It Bob (0):
Salvage Plan Lance of Light Longinus (2): Maximum Spin, Stirk
Better Nerd Shit (6): NUKE9.13, Madman, Doomblade, m1895, Rockeater, King Zultan
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
Re: BECOME THE JUGGERNAUT (AR/SG) - Decision Phase - "Continuous Memory"
« Reply #107 on: May 31, 2022, 10:55:42 pm »

Salvage Plan "Better Nerd Shit"
Loot toolboxes for tools we might be missing that could help with the following:
Search through Damaged Computers for intact (or repairable) electronic components.
Break down both hand lasers, attempting to learn something about the structure whilst doing so.
Difficulty: Hard
Roll: (5+6)-1=10, Superior

You don't know how long it is that you have been conscious, exactly - from the evidence that you've been able to pick up, especially the rations you've gone through, the answer is probably somewhere just under a week, maybe up to one. But in that time, you at least seem to have started to feel better on some fronts. Your legs have been healing up, of course, from whatever cut-up state they were in, but something you've been noticing in the last... day or so, probably, is that you've been thinking... better. The constant physical disorientation has been fading, as has some level of the fog clinging to the edges of your thoughts (though some of that seems to be more stubborn). But the one thing that you have been noticing most of all is the decline of the lost time. A couple of hours ago, you lost only a few minutes of time - and you haven't experienced any since. The past day has been almost entirely absent of lost time as well, aside from the brief spell earlier; definitely a huge improvement from that being the default. Still, there are things that bother you even now - it was easier to ignore when it was just a component of a larger set of problems, but your attention has a way of seeming to want to s l i d e-

You shake your head. Your attention has a way of wanting to slide away from things, if you aren't trying very hard to focus. Things like the salvage you just performed, which actually went incredibly.

Looting tools to deal with electronics had for a moment seemed like a surprisingly difficult task - although a few toolboxes had entire small sections that seemed to be reserved for precision electronic tools, only one or two tools remained in most of them, with these sections often being some of the most picked over. Worse, it seems like those who actually had the appropriate toolsets were pretty infrequent among the corpses you found (oddly, the toolset you yourself woke up near was one of them). However, it turned out not to be so difficult a task after all when you made a chance discovery - the corpse at the section of collapsed catwalk was still buried under rubble, and as you had to loot that area for electronics anyway, it made sense to put in the effort. Their toolset, as it turned out, was one of those full of electronic tools. They're yours, now.

Using those tools, you were able to pull a surprisingly large number of components from the broken computers around the room - they might be broken, but that doesn't mean every piece was, evidently. Aside from quite a bit of cabling, which you were able to extract with ease, you were able to extract several intact circuit-boards used in memory storage, processing, and programming, as well as a wireless transmitter. The monitor at the central table practically only sustained cosmetic damage, and you were able to gather a small computer core from within it (a flat wooden brick pried open to reveal a tangle of electronics, separated from the rest of the work), as well as the components of the monitor itself, although the screen may need some repair if you wish to use it. You also gained several small pieces of metal and some silicon.

As for the hand lasers, they actually came apart very cleanly into multiple pieces. Part of this seems to be that their methods of construction are practically segregated - there seems to be a cubical core in the back of the gun, including the port where the laser's battery slots into, where most of the electronic work is confined, with the rest of the laser being pretty much just druidwork aside from a metallic barrel to prevent burn damage from the beam itself. As for the druidwork itself, as the purpose of the electronic core seems to be pretty much just to draw power from the battery in a predictable, quick, and consistent manner,  the druidwork ends up being relatively simple - a set of roots enchanted to convert electrical energy into searing light, and a wooden ring outside the barrel with a second enchantment that actually shifts that light into the form of a laser. Nonsensical as that is, druid work does tend to excel in change and warping outside of the bounds of physics, but providing raw energy or very fine-detail work does tend to fall to engineers with the most modern work.

(Wait, what the fuck?)

Well, now you've got plenty of materials... what's the next step?

DECISION PHASE (In this phase, you must vote for what kind of action our intrepid protagonist will be taking next! (This means that's all I expect from the votebox this phase, the action for next phase.) This sends the game into a phase for the appropriate action, where I will ask for input from you on how our protagonist will proceed in performing that action - for each individual action, I'll briefly outline exactly what that consists of as I introduce the action, and place them into the rules, so this shouldn't be too tough. Each action takes something called Time Units - and in the context of Decision Phases, that basically means the time until the enemy tracks you down and you're forced into full-on battle!)

a. Design (2 Time Units) (Use the salvage or equipment that you already have available to design a piece of equipment. Conceptualize what you can do here as the protagonist spending several hours and serious effort putting something together. You can assume that they're reasonably capable, but can't make things happen out of nowhere.
b. Revision (1-2 Time Units) Use the salvage or equipment that you already have available to revise a piece of pieces of equipment. Revisions are much easier pieces of work that take less time and fewer components (either edits to existing work, or particularly simple new pieces of work). 1 Time Unit is worth one revision, 2 Time Units is worth two, but a reroll of any roll of 2.
c. Salvage (1 Time Unit) Scour your immediate area for potential salvage, and then spend a little bit of time breaking it down particular pieces of it in ways that you hope are useful. If you pick this item, in the ensuing phase I'll give a more in-depth description of potential salvage in the area, and ask you for list of things to focus on salvaging, and what you hope to break them down into (or how you plan to break them down) - this process is just a couple of hours. I will roll for the results of the Salvage phase - the more you demand, the higher your difficulty, working much like designs.
d. Scout (1 Time Unit) Search outside of your immediate are for information on your wider environment. You will be presented with three things to gain information on (one of which will always be the option to spy on and gain more information on your enemy) and will get to choose two, or write in another priority. There could be some risk involved here - in the worst possible case, you could lose extra Time Units. However, there is no dice-based risk.
e. Not Yet Available (...?)
f. Not Yet Available (...?)
g. Not Yet Available (...?)

Time Units until Enemy Returns: 3-5
Spoiler: Status (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Current Equipment (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 31, 2022, 11:03:08 pm by Powder Miner »

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile

Quote from: Designer Box
Design (1): Stirk
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: June 01, 2022, 12:59:12 am »

Quote from: Sti[quote=Designer Box
Design (2): Stirk, King Zultan
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

m1895

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: June 01, 2022, 01:56:13 am »

Design (3): Stirk, King Zultan, m1895

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: June 01, 2022, 06:54:57 am »

Design (4): Stirk, King Zultan, m1895, MoP

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: BECOME THE JUGGERNAUT (AR/SG) - Design Phase - "Continuous Memory"
« Reply #112 on: June 03, 2022, 08:11:14 pm »

Having just finished procuring an impressive amount of salvage, the time now comes to actually do something with it - you've got a fucked up robot spider thing to fight, after all. Walking over to the desks, you take one last piece of what is technically salvage to help you keep your thoughts together as you brainstorm for designing - a few pieces of paper (blank, at least there are some of these left over). Thankfully, there is in fact a pen jammed somewhat haphazardly into your toolbox to work with as well. Let's see... electronics, wood, laser gun materials, there's a lot to work with, here, at least. You recall the spider thing probably being... not quite as tall as a person? It didn't seem THAT big? You never saw it do anything other than walk around and stab corpses though. Oh well - work, time. You sit down at the desk, frown as you stick your focus to the paper, and put your pen to it.

What will you be designing? For difficulty for this design, just keep in mind that this is an individual thing that the protagonist is working on in somewhere around five hours of work, maybe. I'll chime in at some point to give a rough estimate of difficulties.

Time Units until Enemy Returns: 1-3
Spoiler: Status (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Current Equipment (click to show/hide)

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: June 03, 2022, 08:44:19 pm »

Laser Carbine
Both laser roots are combined together with the wood shaping tool to get a larger generator. Both barrel converters are tied together to get a double strength converter, after being repaired using all the excess electronics. Battery core is modified to enter from the bottom and a stock is added to the rear for more stable shooting.

All we have is lasers so all we can make is a laser.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: June 04, 2022, 08:27:02 pm »

Pulsed-Laser Plasma Gauss Gun

Laser generators are repaired and adjusted to create low-wavelength light (~x ray region will work). These will fire on a gap of "Ammunition" air in short but repeated burst instantly transforming it into plasma. This plasma will then be ejected from the weapon by electronically magnetized wire and electronics on the outside of the barrel as a Gauss gun. The Body of the weapon will be made of wood in the general appearance of a rifle, using the laser's trigger as a trigger. Fallen solder's uniforms and empty snack boxes will be used as heat protection both for the gun and with a shield for the user. One battery will be repaired and used to power the electromagnet, one battery will be repaired and used to power the laser system. The computer core will be utilized to control the coils and powered by the laser battery, placed in the stock of the gun.

Caliber should be relatively small, lets say 5.56 mm.

Longinus Coil Gun
Wood is modified to be in the shape of a rifle, including a circular barrel. Wire is wired around the barrel and magnetized by one of the batteries to create a coil gun. A laser trigger will be modified to push a projectile into position from a five round magazine, and the computer core will be used to control the power to the coils. Projectiles will be magically hardened laser root with wire wrapped around/fused into them. We will attempt to cut one of the laser roots in half to see if we can modify both halves back into full size. If we can we have unlimited laser roots and can thus replace wood projectiles with laser-root projectiles combining the root and their barrels allowing us to destroy any electronic creature who's armor we can pierce in a single shot as its electricity is transformed into lasers that destroy them from the inside. If we can't then we will cut the laser roots into small pieces and fuse them into the tip of normal hardened wood projectiles which will turn the electricity of any target into light, swiftly draining their batteries into nothing. Computer coil will be powered by a battery too.

Projectiles should be long but thin to penetrate armor effectively. 5.56X56mm. We expect relatively low velocities unless we have more power in the batteries than expected.

Lightning Gun
A rifle shaped weapon is made out of wood. One laser root and laser barrel are attached to fire a laser at the target, with a battery attached to that laser group. A second battery is combined with electronics. When the laser fires it will create a path of plasma to the target. The second battery will then send a burst of electricity down the pathway made by the laser, creating an effect similar to a bolt of lightning. This should be capable of knocking out any electronic components in the target out and causing electric shock in any non-mechanical opponents.

Caliber is whatever the laser is.

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: June 04, 2022, 10:08:31 pm »

I expect this to border on the higher end of difficulty if not impossible given time constraints, but I still want to toss it out there anyway as an idea we could build on or revisit later. It's essentialy meant to be a Druidtech familiar.

Semi-Autonomous Pal

SAP is a two-part piece of equipment - a controller and SAP itself.

The controller is constructed with metal, wires, silicon, a circuit board, a laser battery, the cracked monitor screen (which receives repairs utilizing spare plasticresin), the small computer core, and the wireless transmitter. The laser battery provides power to the controller, with the monitor screen displaying a number of options that can be selected (covered below). SAP is made up of some structural grade wood, with heavily enchanted wood used sparsely as the skeletal frame and lighter furniture wood making up the "body" of the roughly morbidly obese cat-sized drone, with four legs looking fairly spider-like coming out near the rear of the "body" and slightly forward of center. The legs are made to flex at a number of joints near their ends to grant some degree of gross manipulation. Internally it contains more wires, a circuit board, the other laser battery (housed behind an easily removed back panel with space for additional batteries), a repaired laser electronic core (utilizing the second laser core and any spare electronics we may require), a wireless receiver (sourced either from the intact computer or some of the other wreckage if we can find it), a bundle of Electricity to Light roots, some small stoneware piping, a Light to Laser ring, and any sort of camera we could harvest from the room or built in to one of the monitors. The second bundle of roots is modified to run in the opposite direction and turns light into electricity to passively recharge the battery through additional wiring, although this is left as the final step of construction and programming to ensure SAP actually functions first. A ceramic plate is mounted as the "face" of SAP.

The battery provides power to SAP and allows it to function as a mobile laser weapon with very basic preset behaviors. A stoneware pipe ending in a L2L Ring protrudes through the ceramic faceplate and terminates inside the body at the laser core and unmodified E2L Roots which draw power from the battery in order to function. Output should result in something similar to a functioning laser gun. The camera is mounted above the faceplate and provides SAP with a basic capacity for visual input.

SAP is programmed to receive directives from the controller. Currently these encompass three behavioral directives: Passive, Aggressive, and Dormant. When out of range of the controller's signal SAP reverts to Dormant Mode regardless of set directives in order to prevent loose cannoning. SAP stows it's legs under itself and allows for easy hauling about once set in Dormant. Passive Mode sees SAP follow the controller within a meter or two. Aggressive Mode is presently lackluster, allowing SAP to target moving objects within its line of sight the moment the mode is activated. To prevent "friendly fire" SAP can identify a thing wielding its controller and will not target it.

SAP's programming and physical form are in Early Access, and it is expected that SAP can and should be further modified to increase utility as time goes on

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: June 04, 2022, 10:21:10 pm »

I expect this to border on the higher end of difficulty if not impossible given time constraints, but I still want to toss it out there anyway as an idea we could build on or revisit later. It's essentialy meant to be a Druidtech familiar.

Semi-Autonomous Pal

SAP is a two-part piece of equipment - a controller and SAP itself.

The controller is constructed with metal, wires, silicon, a circuit board, a laser battery, the cracked monitor screen (which receives repairs utilizing spare plasticresin), the small computer core, and the wireless transmitter. The laser battery provides power to the controller, with the monitor screen displaying a number of options that can be selected (covered below). SAP is made up of some structural grade wood, with heavily enchanted wood used sparsely as the skeletal frame and lighter furniture wood making up the "body" of the roughly morbidly obese cat-sized drone, with four legs looking fairly spider-like coming out near the rear of the "body" and slightly forward of center. The legs are made to flex at a number of joints near their ends to grant some degree of gross manipulation. Internally it contains more wires, a circuit board, the other laser battery (housed behind an easily removed back panel with space for additional batteries), a repaired laser electronic core (utilizing the second laser core and any spare electronics we may require), a wireless receiver (sourced either from the intact computer or some of the other wreckage if we can find it), a bundle of Electricity to Light roots, some small stoneware piping, a Light to Laser ring, and any sort of camera we could harvest from the room or built in to one of the monitors. The second bundle of roots is modified to run in the opposite direction and turns light into electricity to passively recharge the battery through additional wiring, although this is left as the final step of construction and programming to ensure SAP actually functions first. A ceramic plate is mounted as the "face" of SAP.

The battery provides power to SAP and allows it to function as a mobile laser weapon with very basic preset behaviors. A stoneware pipe ending in a L2L Ring protrudes through the ceramic faceplate and terminates inside the body at the laser core and unmodified E2L Roots which draw power from the battery in order to function. Output should result in something similar to a functioning laser gun. The camera is mounted above the faceplate and provides SAP with a basic capacity for visual input.

SAP is programmed to receive directives from the controller. Currently these encompass three behavioral directives: Passive, Aggressive, and Dormant. When out of range of the controller's signal SAP reverts to Dormant Mode regardless of set directives in order to prevent loose cannoning. SAP stows it's legs under itself and allows for easy hauling about once set in Dormant. Passive Mode sees SAP follow the controller within a meter or two. Aggressive Mode is presently lackluster, allowing SAP to target moving objects within its line of sight the moment the mode is activated. To prevent "friendly fire" SAP can identify a thing wielding its controller and will not target it.

SAP's programming and physical form are in Early Access, and it is expected that SAP can and should be further modified to increase utility as time goes on

So how is the remarkably complicated robot better than just making a gun and shooting it ourselves? It seems to add a lot of problems without solving any.

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: June 04, 2022, 10:45:12 pm »

Powder has confirmed it's impossible and specified the behavioral aspect, so here's a more directly controlled version

S.E.E.D

The Spiderlike Energy Emitting Drone is a two-part piece of equipment - a controller and S.E.E.D itself.

The controller is constructed with metal, wires, silicon, a circuit board, a laser battery, the cracked monitor screen (which receives repairs utilizing spare plasticresin), the small computer core, and the wireless transmitter as well as a wireless receiver cannibalized out of the materials we have available. The laser battery provides power to the controller, with the monitor screen displaying an option to switch between general and fine controls (explained below), as well as displaying video provided by S.E.E.D. S.E.E.D is made up of some structural grade wood, with heavily enchanted wood used sparsely as the skeletal frame and lighter furniture wood making up the "body" of the roughly morbidly obese cat-sized drone, with four legs looking fairly spider-like coming out near the rear of the "body" and slightly forward of center. The legs are made to flex at a number of joints near their ends to grant some degree of gross manipulation (i.e. grasping damaged catwalks to scale them). Internally it contains more wires, a circuit board, the other laser battery (housed behind an easily removed back panel with space for additional batteries), a repaired laser electronic core (utilizing the second laser core and any spare electronics we may require), a wireless receiver (sourced either from the intact computer or some of the other wreckage if we can find it), a bundle of Electricity to Light roots, some small stoneware piping, a Light to Laser ring, and any sort of camera we could harvest from the room or built in to one of the monitors. The second bundle of roots is modified to run in the opposite direction and turns light into electricity to passively recharge the battery through additional wiring, although this is left as the final step of construction and programming to ensure S.E.E.D actually functions first. A ceramic plate is mounted as the "face" of S.E.E.D.

The battery provides power to S.E.E.D and allows it to function as a mobile laser weapon under the user's direct control. A stoneware pipe ending in a L2L Ring protrudes through the ceramic faceplate and terminates inside the body at the laser core and unmodified E2L Roots which draw power from the battery in order to function. Output should result in something similar to a functioning laser gun. The camera is mounted above the faceplate.

S.E.E.D is programmed to receive commands from the controller. The controller is capable of providing directional input for movement and a short leaping capability while in the general control mode, and one of the forward legs can be finely manipulated through a fine control mode. This immobilizes S.E.E.D but allows the controller the ability to manipulate objects safely and remotely. The camera display on the controller has a small circular crosshair to represent the current target of the laser and the user can order it to fire by pressing or holding a button.

S.E.E.D's programming and physical form are in Early Access, and it is expected that S.E.E.D can and should be further modified to increase utility and perhaps autonomy as time goes on.

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: June 06, 2022, 10:50:40 am »

Quick difficulty check on the designs thus far:

The Laser Carbine would be Very Easy, since it consists of kludging together two laser pistols into bigger laser, after a salvage action that went into depth on how laser work.

The Semi-Autonomous Pal would currently nail a Ludicrous (although I will retract my previous statement that it is IMPOSSIBLE) due to attempting to program in advanced behavioral work without much experience or specific material basis to do so (this goes beyond the programming materials in your salvage, since none of it is really meant for that).

The Lightning Gun would be Easy, since it is a pretty reasonable and specialized piece of work that isn't actually trying to do anything very difficult or impossible (at least by the standards of a game like this) - the laser is doing actual plasma things, and then I'm not going to try to pull teeth with the laws of physics on however the fuck lightning through plasma works.

The Longinus Coil Gun would be Very Hard not only are you making a conversion to a coil gun, and but you're fucking around with the ammo, which involves both growing the wood and actually messing around with the enchantment to avoid its dilution, which is enough druidwork to put this over to Very Hard. It would be Hard except for the fact that, well... the one ballistic weapon you do have access to here doesn't appear to be a coilgun.

The Pulsed-Laser Plasma Gun is Theoretical, because not only are you adjusting the laser to create plasma (not difficult on its own), but you're also making a conversion to a Coilgun (if it were just these two, it would be Hard), AND you're trying to do outright plasma weaponry, which is foreign enough to be worth a Theoretical.

The S.E.E.D. is Theoretical, because although the programming is not extremely complex, the construction is, with several capabilities like leaping and fine manipulation in addition to the heavy electronic work, and involves using Potential Salvage, which can involve a bit of a difficulty boost when something is on the margin as the protagonist has to go grab and salvage it.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: June 06, 2022, 11:23:43 am »

The Lightning Gun would be Easy, since it is a pretty reasonable and specialized piece of work that isn't actually trying to do anything very difficult or impossible (at least by the standards of a game like this) - the laser is doing actual plasma things, and then I'm not going to try to pull teeth with the laws of physics on however the fuck lightning through plasma works.

Its called an "electrolaser". Basically plasma made by the lasers is electrically conductive so you can just shoot electricity down them like a taser.

If I knew we could be loose with physics I would have made less grounded weapons  :-\

I'd go more into the physics but that is basically it. Plasma is good at conducting electricity since it is a ball of ions and electrons. Connecting a line of plasma to your target is like connecting to them with taser wire. Enter a source of electricity and it goes down the path of least resistance like a lightning bolt.

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 11