Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 38

Author Topic: Jade Court - Game Over - All's Well That Ends Well  (Read 36897 times)

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
Re: Jade Court - Nomination Day 1 - Gathered For The Sake Of The Future
« Reply #90 on: May 12, 2022, 04:52:40 pm »

Webadict is probably town too. I'm more sure of this then Jim or NQT or Jack right now. They seem genuinely willing to vote me as a nominee, which only works as a motive if they know they can get a Cabal member nominated.
@Toony: WTF is a Cabal?

Reread your role PM and come back to me on that one.
Uh... Like, I don't wanna be meta, but... Well...

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: May 12, 2022, 04:54:46 pm »

Roden is probably Town! Also, a good Day 1 candidate in case the whole NQT thing isn't floating boats, but that's a discussion for later. (I will mark his name in green to show support for him as a Day 1 candidate.)

I don't disagree with a lot of what you're saying but advancing Roden as a viable candidate makes me uncomfortable since I don't share the same opinion about Roden as of yet.
You don't think so? I dunno, Roden seems fine to me. What's bothering you about Roden?

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: May 12, 2022, 04:58:45 pm »

Ok, I probably should have actually LOOKED at the players that joined in supporting Candidate NQT before shooting my mouth off.
Jim is one of them, plus Web, and Toonyman.

I'm going to keep supporting Jim, as I see Jim as slightly townleaning whereas NQT as scummy.
I don't inherently see NQT as scummy for that move. It's actually pretty standard for his Townplay, so I'm okay with it. What exactly seems scummy about it?

@EJ: If you think NQT + wagon might have scum on it, why nominate Jim?

I was sort of flat footed on the game start.  My opening was going to be to nominate Jim for the reasons I mentioned.
NQT makes me thing he's scum, not only because of the whole "campaigning is a way to avoid scumhunting", but also because the NQT posts reminded me of scum!NQT.
Since I suspect NQT is scum, I suspect someone supporting NQT by nominating NQT is scum
I guess I'm not exactly giving the answer you might want, but that is my admittedly flawed reasoning.
It is flawed reasoning, but I do understand it. You are right, but I do expect NQT to participate.

So, if that's the case, do you think you'd be a better candidate on Day 1?

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: May 12, 2022, 05:01:10 pm »

So, webadict. Gonna give you the BOD here. Was I wrong earlier?
... What? Sorry, I don't know what you're asking here? I am also tired so that's partially it.
Sorry, I was really tired when I posted that and somehow expected you to understand that I meant "benefit of the doubt" and was asking your opinion on EuchreJack since you said you can read him easily. I was being cagey about it so EuchreJack wouldn't know what I meant. But apparently also so you and everyone else wouldn't either.
Ah, that makes more sense. I'm still in the alignmentof(EuchreJack) == Town camp, so you're probably right about that.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: May 12, 2022, 05:22:15 pm »

Ok, I probably should have actually LOOKED at the players that joined in supporting Candidate NQT before shooting my mouth off.
Jim is one of them, plus Web, and Toonyman.

I'm going to keep supporting Jim, as I see Jim as slightly townleaning whereas NQT as scummy.
I don't inherently see NQT as scummy for that move. It's actually pretty standard for his Townplay, so I'm okay with it. What exactly seems scummy about it?

@EJ: If you think NQT + wagon might have scum on it, why nominate Jim?

I was sort of flat footed on the game start.  My opening was going to be to nominate Jim for the reasons I mentioned.
NQT makes me thing he's scum, not only because of the whole "campaigning is a way to avoid scumhunting", but also because the NQT posts reminded me of scum!NQT.
Since I suspect NQT is scum, I suspect someone supporting NQT by nominating NQT is scum
I guess I'm not exactly giving the answer you might want, but that is my admittedly flawed reasoning.
It is flawed reasoning, but I do understand it. You are right, but I do expect NQT to participate.

So, if that's the case, do you think you'd be a better candidate on Day 1?

Hm, I had thought NQT has posted more than twice at the very beginning.  So now NQT is in lurker territory, which is a problem since scum!NQT lurks.
So yes, I think I would be a better candidate for Day 1 than NQT.  Depending on how Jim shakes out, I might be a better candidate than Jim as well, although Jim is looking townish to me for now.

Arguably, the only person I KNOW to be town is myself, so I should very much wish to be nominated.
I think Roden had a great plan where town just figures out if I'm town, gets me nominated, then just votes me Day 4 as Emperor.  It's a breaking strategy, which I would expect from town!Roden.  Scum!Roden hasn't quite figured out how to fake that aspect, yet.

But since I can be nominated at any time (hopefully), might as well use the nomination process to screen other candidates.  Since I have an ability, I don't know what other abilities exist.  Some may counter the EJ as Emperor strategy.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: May 12, 2022, 05:34:54 pm »

Hm, I had thought NQT has posted more than twice at the very beginning.  So now NQT is in lurker territory, which is a problem since scum!NQT lurks.
So yes, I think I would be a better candidate for Day 1 than NQT.  Depending on how Jim shakes out, I might be a better candidate than Jim as well, although Jim is looking townish to me for now.
The game just started. You can't really call anyone a lurker for that, but if you'd like to push him to talk, consider giving him homework. Here's a lurkertrack, though.

Lurker Track
------------------------
Egan_BW - 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Last post was 16 hours ago.
EuchreJack - 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Last post was 1 hour ago.
Jim Groovester - 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Last post was 2 hours ago.
Knightwing64 - 1 2 3 4 5 6 Last post was 12 hours ago.
Maximum Spin - 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 Last post was 3 hours ago.
notquitethere - 1 2 3 Last post was 23 hours ago.
reina - 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Last post was 16 hours ago.
Roden - 1 2 3 4 Last post was 17 hours ago.
ToonyMan - 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 Last post was 5 hours ago.
webadict - 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 Last post was 1 hour ago.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: May 12, 2022, 05:36:45 pm »

Vote Count
------------------------
notquitethere - 4 - notquitethere*, ToonyMan*, webadict*, Roden*,
Jim Groovester - 3 - EuchreJack*, Jim Groovester*, Egan_BW*,
Maximum Spin - 1 - Maximum Spin*,
reina - 1 - reina*,
Egan_BW - 0 -
EuchreJack - 0 -
Knightwing64 - 0 -
Roden - 0 -
ToonyMan - 0 -
webadict - 0 -

Not Voting - 1 - Knightwing64,

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: May 12, 2022, 05:39:30 pm »

Ah, dang, the Lurkertrack is tracking in posts, wtf. Oh well, I'll fix it later.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: May 12, 2022, 05:45:03 pm »

Egan
So, what's the strategy in this setup? Do we prefer to find scum or figure out confirmed town?
Town hunting is usually so much easier than scum hunting, and this setup actively rewards it! We need to get the towniest person onto the council and vote for that person.

Jim
Finally some more content for the meme thread!

Jack
NQT is a terrible candidate because I think this whole "running as a candidate" is a way to "hide in plain sight".  NQT doesn't have to scumhunt as they can instead post about what a great candidate they would be.  Fluffy posts with no substance.
My post was meant to be funny, but it wasn't fluffy. I made two substantive claims. Can you tell me what those were?

Also RE: lurking, most of the day has happened while I was sleeping and working. Also, the last game I was scum in, I was powerwolfing, not lurking so I'm not exactly sure which game you're getting that idea from.

Roden
Hypothetical question to everyone: if you had the chance to Night 0 Cop check either Toony or Web, who would be the better choice?
Knowing what I know now, I'd check Web, as I'm pretty sure Toony is town in this game. But before I had any knowledge, I'm not sure. Toony probably.

Tin Foil Hat Time

Is this sequence organic??

Nominate Jim Groovester
Why? Well, if Jim is town, then Jim will have great insights...and probably will bungle the vote.  So, let's get him out of the way.  The Nomination process will hopefully put enough spotlight on Jim to ascertain whether or not Jim is town.
lmao fair enough

Jim Groovester

@Egan_BW: Please vote Jim! Or tell me why not...

I was leaning NQT, but mainly just because everyone else seemed convinced. Is there a conspiracy?...
...Yeah there probably is. They're all scum! Jim Groovester

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: May 12, 2022, 05:47:25 pm »

I like Reina's maths analysis and Wuba's reads list. Both get points for effort.

As is expected, I will be providing a questionably-useful-but-fun-for-me chart very soon.

Knightwing64

• Bay Watcher
  • The Most Handsome Bay12 Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: May 12, 2022, 06:25:15 pm »

So… can someone brief me in on the general game plan here? I don’t understand all the technical mambo jumbo stuff

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: May 12, 2022, 06:40:33 pm »

Some Reads

Town -> Scum

Toonyman was hard to place on my chart because he can appreciate a joke but he wasn't making jokes or (like some players) roleplaying or whatever. This probably isn't alignment indicative. What might be is if we see unnatural attempts to appeal as a candidate. Good, active, clear, nothing unusual for him yet.

Web is fine, he was first to pro-actively post reads. Good sign.

Max I'm townreading at the moment. Fun open, albeit a bit touchy about being scumread for getting in the thread later (NAI?)

What's interesting here is Reina's position. She votes for herself but isn't self-aggrandising, she relies on her effort through analysis to be quietly persuasive.

Roden and Knightwing have both given me very little to work with. Fair enough, I've hardly posted either, but I wouldn't want to call them either way yet.

Jim I'm tinfoiling a bit on (as we can see in my next post), but maybe I'm willing to give him a pass for being funny and transparent.

Jack's jokey statement felt very forced. I'm aware though, people have different sense of humor, and maybe I'm just being WIFOMY here because he suspects me, but I'm getting a bad feeling. I should drill down on this!

Egan seems really wishy-washy, right?

So… can someone brief me in on the general game plan here? I don’t understand all the technical mambo jumbo stuff
Over three days we will vote three players onto a council. Then, if 2-3 of them are actually scum (onyx), we'll have to vote for the emperor among them. We win if all three council members are town (jade), or the emperor is town (jade).

So we need to hunt town for town members. Who do you think is town right now?

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: May 12, 2022, 06:50:48 pm »

Some Analysis/Speculation

There are three Onyx Cabal members and they have a chat to co-ordinate... so we might expect some amount of co-ordination. They've got these two strategies:

A. Back one single Onyx Cabal member for nomination
B. Back two or three members and see who sticks for town

Strategy A has the downside of appearing too transparent. Probably scum aren't bold enough to do this. If they have done this, probably one Onyx votes for another, who self-votes, while the third Onyx lays low.

Strategy B makes it harder for town to divine the patterns of association... but also relies completely on luck as to whether any town will vote for them. If they're doing this, then they must hope to get scum on the council on day two or three. Some of them are probably self-voting if they're doing this strat.

It's possible the Onyx have some abilities that make one of these strategies seem more viable to them.

Spoiler: Current Votes (click to show/hide)

Looking at the votes as they currently stand, if Strategy A, then scum is Jim and either EuchreJack or Egan_BW, plus someone laying low (one of reina, Knightwing, or Max).

If it's Strategy B, then scum could be anywhere, but might hope that people will vote for them and so will be self-voting, or are waiting to see a wagon they can join onto their scum mate. And so are most likely in Jim/Max/Reina/Knightwing (but anyone else could be laying low and voting town for now)

All to say, hence my reticence of Jim!

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: May 12, 2022, 06:54:48 pm »

Max I'm townreading at the moment. Fun open, albeit a bit touchy about being scumread for getting in the thread later (NAI?)
To put a finer point on it, you stole my move. I'm the legitimate heir, so I should have been campaigning like that, but you got there first and stole all the voters. So I was annoyed that you changed the context for me.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: May 12, 2022, 07:01:53 pm »

Max, this would make for a very fine courtly drama. Please don't assassinate me due to your pique at being upstaged.

Seriously though, what are your thoughts about Strategy A and B? What do you think the Onyx do in this situation?
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 38