Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 106 107 [108] 109 110 ... 167

Author Topic: Emotional Responses to War in Ukraine - Personal Diary & Mutual Support  (Read 131172 times)

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Emotional Responses to War in Ukraine - Personal Diary & Mutual Support
« Reply #1605 on: October 23, 2022, 11:44:39 pm »

https://twitter.com/JuliaDavisNews/status/1584054018145685504

They are becoming more and more open that their goal is a plain and simple genocide

Also, remember, that those people "adopted" many many thousands of Ukrainian children...

That is so disgusting. I will never understand why some people lack basic empathy and decency. Can't they undertand how horrible it is what they are wishing on other human beings?

He unlocked a rare achievement: being fired from Russian TV for the hate speech

(In fact, he was fired for spilling it away not for his opinion, and will reemerge somewhere else but...)
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1606 on: November 01, 2022, 01:16:29 pm »

Nvm angry post
« Last Edit: November 01, 2022, 04:51:21 pm by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1607 on: November 08, 2022, 12:51:15 pm »

Anyone worried that the threat of winter may scare Ukraine into a premature surrender? I heard some disturbing rumors about Zelenski considering a deal with Putin and I assume it could only be due to things such as the threat of starvation and lack of heating due to destroyed infrastructure.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1608 on: November 08, 2022, 01:05:10 pm »

Why starvation?

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1609 on: November 08, 2022, 01:43:09 pm »

Anyone worried that the threat of winter may scare Ukraine into a premature surrender? I heard some disturbing rumors about Zelenski considering a deal with Putin and I assume it could only be due to things such as the threat of starvation and lack of heating due to destroyed infrastructure.

Impossible. Yes, we know that the winter will be quite hard (I already have rolling blackouts for 8 hours per day, in some areas it is 16) but we are ready and no one is going to surrender because of that.

I expect a major new wave of strikes using Iranian ballistic missiles close to the New Year and a new wave of refugees going west is quite possible. But it won't cause any surrender.

And no, there is no threat of starvation. You need to collapse logistics for that. Something Russia is unable to do.
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1610 on: November 08, 2022, 07:47:53 pm »

Christmas is also a good time to solicit donations of food and other items.

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #1611 on: November 08, 2022, 11:14:14 pm »

One of the big global problems with the war is that Ukraine is one of the major food exporters and they simply have a ton of food ready to sell. They aren't going to run out of food.

Heating will be a bigger issue, but that isn't nearly enough to break them.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1612 on: November 08, 2022, 11:21:31 pm »

One of the big global problems with the war is that Ukraine is one of the major food exporters and they simply have a ton of food ready to sell. They aren't going to run out of food.

Heating will be a bigger issue, but that isn't nearly enough to break them.

And even if Russia somehow destroy enough food storages, it can be imported.

All our fuel storages were destroyed during the first weeks but, after some time for rerouting logistics, gas stations work as normal. No rationing, no shortages, no queues.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1613 on: November 09, 2022, 04:59:20 am »

What's the front line looking like, last time I had heard anything it had stalled out.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #1614 on: November 09, 2022, 05:25:32 am »

There's been some important advances, but the season is slowing movement. It is also likely that opsec is in effect, as has been the case for many of the quiet times in this war.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1615 on: November 09, 2022, 08:25:57 am »

Our local milbloggers report it's quiet in the Kherson area, where Russians seems to be fortifying in the city and south of the river.
Heavy fighting near Bakhmut and Donetsk, where Russians have been making repeated pushes for some limited gains.
To the north, the stretch of land running N-S between the Oskil river and the defensive lines Russians erected near Svatove changes hands all the time.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #1616 on: November 09, 2022, 10:27:37 am »

Now starting to see reports from usually credible sources that Russia has abandoned Kherson.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1617 on: November 09, 2022, 11:36:23 am »

Now starting to see reports from usually credible sources that Russia has abandoned Kherson.

Well, their minister of defense, on TV, ordered them to "make a maneuver" and move troops to the right bank of Dnipro.

Looks like Russian troops will have a fun time crossing the river under heavy artillery fire.

It is also highly likely that they mined and will blow everything of value in Kherson

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1618 on: November 09, 2022, 12:56:40 pm »

I'm imagining the Dwarf Fortress gambit of building the entire fortress on a single pillar hooked to a lever, then pulling the lever...

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1619 on: November 09, 2022, 03:06:45 pm »

I'm imagining the Dwarf Fortress gambit of building the entire fortress on a single pillar hooked to a lever, then pulling the lever...
Some would say that if it doesn't involve magma, then it isn't suitably Dorfy.

(There's a large cluster of mud volcanos in the Sorokin Trough, just off the southern coast of Crimea, but I don't know if anyone can weaponise those. Except that their role in relation to hydrate/methane seeps might be playing a major part in Russia's desire for control of that maritime territory.)
Pages: 1 ... 106 107 [108] 109 110 ... 167