Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 60

Author Topic: News Update War in Ukraine - Junior Reporter Edition  (Read 64856 times)

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
Re: News Update War in Ukraine - Junior Reporter Edition
« Reply #600 on: December 11, 2022, 04:06:00 pm »

Your interesting article is currently inaccessible on my end. I just get a gateway error.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #601 on: December 12, 2022, 02:35:45 am »

The article covers varied automated weapons being introduced in the war, beyond the current drone usage:
- Germanany donated 14 automated vehicles
- Milrem Robotics CEO Kuldar Väärsi, said their THeMIS vehicles, which can be outfitted with light or heavy machine guns and anti-tank missiles
- Ukrainian robotics company, Temerland, has released a weaponized reconnaissance robotic platform called GNOM
- naval drones that carry cruise missiles (Ukrainian?)
- Lithuanian “SkyWipers”, to kill or hijack the drones Russia is currently using

But really, the kicker is the image at the top of the article, which is misleading because it looks like two battlemechs are also among the new weapons...
Quote from: dragdeler
There is something to be said about, if the stakes are as high, maybe reconsider your certitudes. One has to be aggressively allistic to feel entitled to be able to trust. But it won't happen to me, my bit doesn't count etc etc... Just saying, after my recent experiences I couldn't trust the public if I wanted to. People got their risk assessment neurons rotten and replaced with game theory. Folks walk around like fat turkeys taunting the world to slaughter them.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #602 on: December 12, 2022, 02:51:18 am »

Oh man this is all leading up to skynet becoming a thing, we're all doomed Novel was right!
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Magmacube_tr

• Bay Watcher
  • Praise KeK! For He is The Key and The Gate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #603 on: December 12, 2022, 03:57:42 am »

Oh man this is all leading up to skynet becoming a thing, we're all doomed Novel was right!

Novel is Skynet, Zultan.
I must submerge myself in MAGMAAAAAAAAA! daily for 17 cents, which I detest. I also geld memes.

My gaem. JOIN NAOW!!!

My sigtext. Read if you dare!

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #604 on: December 12, 2022, 04:17:11 am »

Novel is Skynet, Zultan.
Oh god, and we let him on the forum!
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #605 on: December 12, 2022, 07:54:18 am »

But really, the kicker is the image at the top of the article, which is misleading because it looks like two battlemechs are also among the new weapons...
Mecha combat: Expectation vs reality.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVOFEyKGHx0

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #606 on: December 18, 2022, 07:12:31 am »

Because the News thread deserves a bump, and especially as it is getting more serious. ...they tried marching in the hordes, but now Russia is sending in the bands!

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #607 on: December 18, 2022, 07:09:32 pm »

It says "According to the Russian outlet RBC news, the brigade will consist of troops mobilised under President Vladimir Putin's recruitment drive, as well as "professional artists who voluntarily entered military service". "

"Want to avoid being conscripted? Enlist voluntarily and pick which military branch you wish to serve in." Just a little coercion from the government to boost the publicized "voluntary enlistment" numbers, just like the USA did in the Korea/Vietnam era conscription phases. I wonder if Russia forced them to supply their own musical instruments.
There is something to be said about, if the stakes are as high, maybe reconsider your certitudes. One has to be aggressively allistic to feel entitled to be able to trust. But it won't happen to me, my bit doesn't count etc etc... Just saying, after my recent experiences I couldn't trust the public if I wanted to. People got their risk assessment neurons rotten and replaced with game theory. Folks walk around like fat turkeys taunting the world to slaughter them.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #608 on: December 18, 2022, 07:17:05 pm »

1 Trumpet for every 4 Trumpeters.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #609 on: December 19, 2022, 03:02:35 am »

Well there go the arts in Russia.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #610 on: December 19, 2022, 01:38:54 pm »

Of course, the Russian musicians get AKs for their protection as they perform for the troops on the front lines. They even get to lead their fellow countrymen into battle.
So brave! So patriotic! So stupid! So dead...

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #611 on: December 23, 2022, 05:02:22 am »

Today, in a speech after a meeting with his advisors, Putin for the first time used the word 'war' to describe the invasion of Ukraine.

So I suppose he will now have to be arrested and sent to Siberia for 15 years. Calling the limited military operation a 'war' is illegal nowadays in Russia.

EDIT: HAHAHA. A member of city council of St. Petersburg, Nikita Joeferev, has already reported Putin to the police for 'spreading fake news about the armed forces', the exact same crime that many Russians that called the conflict a 'war' have been arrested for (thousands have been convicted for that exact same crime).

Note that Joeferev is doing this from outside of Russia. He had to flee the country after being sentenced to a fine, when back in septemer he and a group of fellow council members accused Putin of high treason because of the invasion
« Last Edit: December 23, 2022, 05:10:18 am by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #612 on: December 24, 2022, 03:13:35 pm »

Maybe there was something in that speech from Putin about "attacks on Russian soil" and he is trying to change the context from "we were having a special military operation" to "but now we also have a war because they attacked us on our soil with foreign weapons". Putin made the comment at a press conference on the 22nd, but I can't find it to hear the context the word was used in.

Which would be how every bully responds when they are physically harassing someone and the victim ineffectually strikes back; now the bully claims "you hit me!" and proceeds to escalate the violence of their attacks. I do understand Ukraine is not being ineffectual, but it will be a long time before Russia feels the pain Ukraine has been feeling.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #613 on: December 27, 2022, 06:07:22 am »

Sergej Lavrov, the Russian minister of Foreign Affairs, said that there will be no peace unless Ukraine agrees to Russian terms.
These terms are the denazification and demilitarization of Ukraine, and that Ukraine stops threatening the security of Russia, including it's new territories Donetsk, Loehansk, Zaporizja en Cherson.
If Ukraine does not comply, the Russian army will make them comply.

Hear hear! The words from the same vile mouth that keeps accusing Ukraine of not wanting to negotiate peace.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #614 on: December 27, 2022, 06:42:30 am »

If Ukraine does not comply, the Russian army will make them comply

Oh! I am scared! What will they do? Invade? Bomb cities? Commit Massacres? Loot toilets and washing machines? Kidnap rakoons... Hey, wait a minute...

Meanwhile, Ukraine stroke a Russian airbase full of strategic bombers ~700 km from the border - https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-64092183 (I like how Russians always shoot down our drones but debris always hit something :D )

To clarify, Ukraine successfully attacked one of the most strategically important objects in Russia, part of their nuclear deterrence. And we did it twice in a few weeks) This tells us that NATO (and China) can destroy all Russian strategic bombers with ease should they try.

They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 60