Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 60

Author Topic: News Update War in Ukraine - Junior Reporter Edition  (Read 64669 times)

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
Re: News Update War in Ukraine - Junior Reporter Edition
« Reply #630 on: December 30, 2022, 11:45:35 pm »

The 18+ warning isn't relevant to the speech itself, nothing but the Ukrainian defense minister giving a "patriotism reducing" speech to Russians, pointing out that the Russian leaders, their position, property, and wealth, is what is being protected by the Russians who fight and die in Ukraine, and that they expect the Russian conscription efforts to increase in the cities, and that Ukraine blames the Russian leaders, not the common Russians.

But, who in Russia will hear the speech? Not anyone willing to change their position for or against the war.
Quote from: dragdeler
There is something to be said about, if the stakes are as high, maybe reconsider your certitudes. One has to be aggressively allistic to feel entitled to be able to trust. But it won't happen to me, my bit doesn't count etc etc... Just saying, after my recent experiences I couldn't trust the public if I wanted to. People got their risk assessment neurons rotten and replaced with game theory. Folks walk around like fat turkeys taunting the world to slaughter them.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #632 on: December 31, 2022, 01:47:37 pm »

I actually prefer new Reddit. Old Reddit is too dense imo. Yes burn me at the stake.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

Magmacube_tr

• Bay Watcher
  • Praise KeK! For He is The Key and The Gate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #633 on: December 31, 2022, 02:50:48 pm »

Yes burn me at the stake.

aight

Novel, get the stake! I'll handle the fire.
I must submerge myself in MAGMAAAAAAAAA! daily for 17 cents, which I detest. I also geld memes.

My gaem. JOIN NAOW!!!

My sigtext. Read if you dare!

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #634 on: January 01, 2023, 05:08:34 am »

Yes burn me at the stake.

aight

Novel, get the stake! I'll handle the fire.
Exciting, I'll bring snacks!
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #635 on: January 02, 2023, 12:34:49 pm »

About 400 Russian reservists that were stationed in Makijivka will not be going home to their families.
Why? Because they are as dead as a doornail, after a HIMARS missile struck the building they were stationed in.
They were staying in a captured Technical High School. Imagery from the attack shows the entire building being completely levelled as the missile strikes it.
The strike took place 1 minute after New Year. The building was probably full of soldiers celebrating it.

Ukrainian military reports they killed 400.
Official Russian media reports 63 deaths.
Russian officer Igor Girkin (one of the commanders responsible for downing MH17) said there are 'hundreds' of dead.

Contrary to how I felt about Wagner mercs dying, I do feel somewhat sorry for these reservist sods. Drafted into a war they have no idea about, from their backwater villages.
I am more sad about the loss of the High School though. That's a loss to the Ukraine education system.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2023, 12:44:07 pm by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #636 on: January 02, 2023, 01:13:06 pm »

Yeah, I was entirely on the way here with a link concerning it... Typically sardonic non-claim of involvement from Ukrainean authorities. Can't be fun for those caught in it, and if there's a judicious spirit doing the sorting process for the afterlife then they'll have to make a few yay-or-nay decisions, I'm sure.

Militarily, though, seems much more of a valid attack than much of what seems to be coming the other way (well beyond the hot front lines themselves). I'm not happy about the meat-grinder nature, but it definitely looks like it was Russia that practically set up all of that grinder and loaded it up, through whatever mindset they are operating under, and practically ran the flag up the pole in order to invite someone to turn the handle.

We'll learn more afterwards, probably. If it doesn't get lost in even greater messes of future history that we need to worry about.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #637 on: January 02, 2023, 05:38:50 pm »

Contrary to how I felt about Wagner mercs dying, I do feel somewhat sorry for these reservist sods. Drafted into a war they have no idea about, from their backwater villages.
I am more sad about the loss of the High School though. That's a loss to the Ukraine education system.
I feel sorry for the whole lot of them. I think I'd feel more fine if it was "necessary," but it feels much worse, because all these Russians did not die for any necessary reason. At any moment Putin could end the war, give up Crimea & Eastern Ukraine to save the lives of his people. Instead he just keeps sending in wave after wave of his own people to die for nothing. I think it's very symbolic that Wagner group spent so many lives capturing a fortified rubbish dump in Bakhmut. Ukraine will do what they must, but Putin has the choice to fall on his sword and end the actual slaughter he started to stop the pretend slaughter that never existed

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #638 on: January 03, 2023, 04:09:23 am »

At any moment Putin could end the war, give up Crimea & Eastern Ukraine to save the lives of his people. Instead he just keeps sending in wave after wave of his own people
It is Russian tradition!
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #639 on: January 05, 2023, 04:52:24 pm »

In a joint statement, Germany and the US promised to provide Ukraine with armoured infantry vehicles. The US will supply Bradleys, Germany will supply Marders. Germany will also provide a Patriot missile system (the US already decided in december to send some Patriots).

A few days ago, France promised to send modern light armoured vehicles as well (AMX-10 RC tanks, somewhat misnomered as a light tank. It treads lightly but carries a big stick).

Where most of the previous vehicles supplied to Ukraine were of slightly older design, the new trend seems to be to supply more modern equipment.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2023, 04:59:52 pm by martinuzz »

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #640 on: January 06, 2023, 01:54:35 am »

(AMX-10 RC tanks, somewhat misnomered as a light tank. It treads lightly but carries a big stick).

This is not a misnomer, the AMX-10 RC is not an MBT, it is most definitely a light tank or armored car; either one as it's a wheeled recon vehicle. It's not even using a high-pressure 105mm gun, fighting tanks in that thing would be a hairy proposition except when firing from ambush or against the fourth-line vehicles Russia has been reactivating.

No, it's not a full tank. It is a light tank and fills the role of the light tank exactly. Weaker armor, weaker firepower, substantially better mobility/visibility/concealment capability as compared to an MBT. It's a good step, though. Unfortunate that the AMX-10 RC doesn't use NATO standard 105mm ammunition.

The Bradleys and Marders are a bigger deal. Marders aren't that great in terms of vehicle combat but Bradleys are designed to absolutely end Russian light vehicles like BMPs, can kill tanks and shred helicopters, and do it all while packing half squads of dismounts for all your other fighting needs.

Hopefully this is going to open the door to more equipment; it'd be really nice to see older models of Abrams make their way to Ukraine, amongst other possible tanks and vehicles.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #641 on: January 06, 2023, 05:45:27 am »

This is not a misnomer, the AMX-10 RC is not an MBT, it is most definitely a light tank or armored car

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #642 on: January 06, 2023, 06:07:18 am »

There is an Export version of the Abrams, so it COULD be sent as aid.  But the American People have to be informed about that, or they'll think we're giving away our Best Stuff.  Which the Armchair Generals in our populace would think is a bad thing.  It's probably going to be a while...

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #643 on: January 06, 2023, 06:36:10 am »

The Ukrainian government warns it's citizens in occupied territory to not visit churches during orthodox christmas.
According to the government, they fear that Russia is planning terrorist attacks on churches.
Vice premier Iryna Veresjtsjoek spread a message on Telegram to the local population in occupied territory, urging them to be careful, and if possible to avoid crowded places.

InformNapalm, a group of Ukrainian volunteers that use public sources to gather intel about the war, already reported yesterday that Russia is planning to blow up multiple churches during christmas morning mass.
They want to do so to put the blame on Ukraine, and use footage of the carnage for broadcasting as propaganda at home, to gain support for the war.
They do not know which churches will be targeted exactly, but decided to go public with their info to hopefully make publicity thwart Russia's scheme.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2023, 07:26:57 am by martinuzz »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #644 on: January 06, 2023, 07:24:49 am »

This is not a misnomer, the AMX-10 RC is not an MBT, it is most definitely a light tank or armored car

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Enbie-T
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 60