Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: The Bracewell Probe (Spaceship Quest)  (Read 2498 times)

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I want to be your blahaj.
    • View Profile
Re: The Bracewell Probe (Spaceship Quest)
« Reply #30 on: April 09, 2022, 03:30:38 am »

A isn't dealing with the whole fleet, it's using superior thrust to just go past them like a huge troll. After that we splash down and hide in the oceans.

Blood_Librarian

• Bay Watcher
  • What is happening?
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 09, 2022, 09:12:24 pm »

I'm not thrilled about burning an antimatter key every six months. How many of those things do we have, anyway?
You have four keys as per the status spoiler. Keys can be refilled, but they require a immense amount of antimatter. You began with two that were filled, and two that were empty. The antimatter Processing System can generate antimatter with years worth of energy consumption.

Turn 03

Quote from: Input
Punch through!

They repeat their messages again and again. Each one is more heated in their demands, but they ultimately mean nothing in the face of acceleration.

Our thousands of tons of bulk burn faster then any ship in the system, with a wake detectable from anywhere. At this distance, our thrust flare would be visible from the surface of the world were it faced towards their world. Their fleet was spread aggressively, taking every chance they could to create an interception vector.

Outmoded in every aspect, uncertainty analytic enginesallow for us to minimize our risk in the oncoming battle, but in the end, their web of warships has been spread wide.

1d6 → 1

Our final acceleration vector faces us against 2 lesser craft and a high technology fusion craft, who will all reach dangerously close distances. The duration where weapon fire can be exchanged is expected to be in seconds, but seconds are enough.

We can trust in our ship-self to break through the fires that they will send off, or we can open fire first. We will almost certainly destroy them barring exceptional circumstances due to the siphoning of grains of antimatter from the active key, but the components we use will exhaust material that will be difficult to replace, and will manifest in a reduction of resources when we land.

What should we do?

A. Fire off a single missile at the Fusion Rocket Driven craft.
B. Fire off three missiles at all targets within close-in distance.
C. Brave the fires, rely entirely on acceleration.
D. Something else? (fill in.)

Spoiler: Status (click to show/hide)

if you want something wacky
Quote from: ChiefWaffles, MAR Discord
I continue to be puzzled by BL's attempts to make Aratam blatantly evil

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 09, 2022, 09:35:33 pm »

Three missiles! Is just matter, the universe is basically made outta that stuff!

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 09, 2022, 09:53:37 pm »

Maybe fire one at the fusion craft, whose explosion might damage the other 3

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 09, 2022, 10:10:30 pm »

Punch through, they ain't got shit
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 09, 2022, 10:44:06 pm »

+1

Let's show these early hominids just how little they threaten us.
One wheel short of a wagon

Fluffe9911

• Bay Watcher
  • Such ‼Socks‼ Much Fun
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 09, 2022, 10:45:19 pm »

+1 WE ARE S P E E D

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 10, 2022, 02:13:36 am »

+1 WE ARE S P E E D
+1 Our ship is better than their weak ass ships!
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Blood_Librarian

• Bay Watcher
  • What is happening?
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 11, 2022, 05:38:03 pm »

Turn 04

Quote from: Input
Brave the fires, rely entirely on acceleration

The web, the gyre, the movement of warships through the systems is like a delicate dance. The fires of nuclear exhaust brings the dance closer and closer to an end. In the end, the mirurual mind behind your ship-self quietly observes the steeling might of the enemy warships. In the closing movement, your ship roughly determines their loadout.

The fusion-rocket driven warcraft is the pinnacle of technology and is driven separately from the rest of the fleet with its peers, most likely by a sub-polity of this civilization. It is armed with thermonuclear missiles, as well as a set of small focal array laser systems, most likel to intercept nuclear missiles.

The “normal” class of warships are exactly as above, though with no laser systems and equipped with just nuclear missiles. These primitive tactics rely upon a prestigious backing of nuclear processing facilities as well as a logistics supply capable of delivering the warheads. Something which, obviously, they seem to have.

In seconds, the interception is over.

1d6 → 6

Several nuclear missiles flew towards our ship-self’s hull, and detonated dangerously close. The hard wash of radiation scoured the hull, burning at sensors, but did little else. They were simply too far away to cause any damage to the hull, and couldnt keep up with the suicide burn, or had the grace to have a closer interception vector.

Then, the fleet, and it’s many missiles were left behind.

Ahead of us is the Homeworld, the Cradle of an alien species. A shade of reluctance colors the processing stratum, and then it fades away. The insignificant dot balloons, bigger, and bigger.

We have one final course adjustment befor ethe end of our long journey. The first of which is too splash down into a sea, and to sink to the bottom and prepare for the future. The second is to land in the shallows near a dense metropolitan area, so as to create a hostage situation  while allowing us to grab some equipment and materials before moving away.

What should we do?

A. Land in a deep sea.
B. Land near a deep metropolitan area..
C. Something else? (fill in.)

Spoiler: Status (click to show/hide)

if you want something wacky
Quote from: ChiefWaffles, MAR Discord
I continue to be puzzled by BL's attempts to make Aratam blatantly evil

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 11, 2022, 05:43:15 pm »

A

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 11, 2022, 05:45:32 pm »

Hostage situation might be workable if we were sure that they're not willing to wipe out a city to just be done with us. Or just use us as an excuse to atomize a rival, these are humans we're talking about.

A

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 11, 2022, 06:59:42 pm »

A

We've got work to do, not locals to wrangle.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 11, 2022, 10:34:58 pm »

A

We're on earth with an antimatter key left. This is a hostage situation.
One wheel short of a wagon

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 12, 2022, 12:57:19 am »

C. Land in a deep-sea but fire a single antimatter missile at the shallow waters first

This may confuse locals into thinking that we crash-landed and got destroyed. Also, the resulting tsunami will damage\destroy the city, delaying whatever future operations against us.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2022, 01:42:12 am by Strongpoint »
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 12, 2022, 02:27:18 am »

A
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4