Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: The Bracewell Probe (Spaceship Quest)  (Read 2504 times)

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Bracewell Probe (Spaceship Quest)
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2022, 02:02:04 am »

C1B MASH FACE
+1

Not like there's any harm either. What're they gonna do, reverse engineer us?
+1
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Blood_Librarian

• Bay Watcher
  • What is happening?
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2022, 03:09:47 pm »

CIB - III
A3A - III
dang, a tie, i hope it gets fixed by the time i finish up the other forums post :)
if you want something wacky
Quote from: ChiefWaffles, MAR Discord
I continue to be puzzled by BL's attempts to make Aratam blatantly evil

Blood_Librarian

• Bay Watcher
  • What is happening?
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2022, 01:22:43 am »

Turn 01

Determining outcome through RNG . . .
C1B - 1
A3A - 2

Spoiler: result (click to show/hide)

Quote from: Input
Ignite the Antimatter Key and fusion reactor to move to World 03 in a Quick Burn
1d6 --> 5

A winding, coiling excitement spreads throughout every processing stratum of the craft. The construction System folds in on itself, hardening against the coming acceleration burn by stowing its precious micro-robotics away. Antimatter Key 02 bristles in its containment husk, ports connecting it to the propulsive plumbing in preparation for its expenditure by the Antimatter Processing System as according to the designs of countless iterations by your lineage. Carefully, the craft is aligned towards ʜᴏᴍᴇ-ᴛᴏᴍʙ-ᴡᴏʀᴋꜱɪᴛᴇ, also to be known a World 03.

The Fusion Reactor is once again lit, the need to hide rendered superfluous in the face of a bold operational plan. Any pretense of stealth was extinguished by the incredible heat output of the radiators, driven by a He-3 - DT fusion reaction in the Stellarator fusion reactor. In a moment, the exhaust of the fusion reactor is combined with a drip-feed of antimatter by the Antimatter Key 02. Power is siphoned off from the fusion reaction, and the ignition capacitors are recharged after a day of travel.

Active Sensors bleed energy out on the approach, our ship-self is a screaming, lit sword on a impact trajectory with World 03. Constant attention of the thrusting system, fusion reactor and the state of affairs of the hull necessitate a active presence that the Secondary Sensor Processor Stratum cannot sustain, and we do not hibernate.

a month of observation occurs. Your sensors rely on active signals more often than not due the passive systems being blinded by the cataclysmic energies from your thrust , but details are observed. Your ship-self's inbound state of affairs is noted by the polities you are heading towards, as sometimes the signatures of ships either entering or leaving orbit of Worlds 01 through 05 are detected.

Strategic analysis roughly estimates that there are around 15 active ships during this time, half from World 04.

The reason that only a month of observation occurred was because of the detection of a distinct set of signatures through the noise. More specifically, the signatures of around 32 8 megaton nuclear detonations from the surface of 01, spread around the north and south poles. We were unable to determine if any [Other] Ships left the surface or its orbit. More nuclear detonations may or may not have occurred on the part of the surface that we cannot observe.

The discrepancy towards the amount of ordinance detonated on the world and its apparent development has been noted by all processing cores. Reasons are abound for why such a event has occurred, but we do not have the capability to garner further details without committing to some details or waiting. We cannot garner further data without emptying the Antimatter Key through a pulsed burst.
 and then cutting the hard thrust.

We can assemble a scanner probe, but this will exhaust resources from our construction system, especially for sensory systems. Additionally, the data will be spotty at best, and it will have a lifespan of approximately 2 years, though its usability will be nil when it either impacts the earth or is sent into a odd solar orbit.

What should we do?

A. expend all remaining antimatter in a pulse, then cut propulsive thrust. Use active and passive sensors to commit observation for a extended period of time. This will delay arrival by 3 months.
B. Assemble a scanner probe and deploy it.
C. Continue the hardburn.
D. Break off approach of World 03 and choose another world to land on.
E. Something else? (fill in.)

Spoiler: Status (click to show/hide)

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2022, 01:50:27 am »

C
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2022, 02:29:52 am »

C

We'll figure it out later. Or not care.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I want to be your blahaj.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2022, 03:47:58 am »

C

Hey, that stuff's happening way over there, whatever we learn probably won't adjust our course anyways.

Fluffe9911

• Bay Watcher
  • Such ‼Socks‼ Much Fun
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2022, 08:11:45 am »

C Thank god for that 5

Blood_Librarian

• Bay Watcher
  • What is happening?
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2022, 11:07:34 pm »

Turn 02

Quote from: Input
Continue the Hardburn

Three months pass, and we pass by the gas giants of world 05 06, and 07. The sensors sharpen their sightlines as things become closer. Nothing really changed until the final leg of the journey, the deceleration burn.

In the Gyres of interplanetary maneuvering, the ability to enact change in your path through the system by the virtues of acceleration is pivotal. To be shackled to a mere world's gravitational influence is to be a shot from death. Such entrapment would restrict the capabilities of the prospective warship from truly protecting the world. By our ship-self's nature as an interstellar
vessel, we have both an untold advantage as well as a critical weakness.

GENERAL ALERT

THe game of interplanetary warfare is one of eggshells with nuclear hammers, and our ship is no exception. Our prestigious maneuvering ability means that any foe will not be given a chance to touch us, but each missile shot at the enemy is a expenditure of material that had traveled lightyears, and is almost irreplaceable at this state of the colonial enterprise.

A radio signal graces our hull. In addition we detect the thermal signatures of 24 thermal rocket signatures, most likely driven by fission reactors, burning towards us. At the head of this wolfpack are 2 high yield EM / thermal signatures, most likely they are craft that are driven by a fusion rocket.

A short time passes, and the message sent through radio signals, clearly designed for us to understand, is decrypted. A picture is added, along with a sort of broken universal language derived from the mathematical formulae. Most of the message consists of long form messages that create a dialogue, with a small part focussed on the actual meat and bones of the message they have sent.

Combat algorithms, many times more ancient then your own code whir to life. Strategic analysis puts your ship-self at a unilateral advantage thanks to your reserve of antimatter, your antimatter doped thrust, and powerful missiles that can be fabricated in an emergency. In addition, other pieces could be manufactured in direct combat, but such endeavors could put the ship-self at risk for little gain.

By and large, we do not have enough ordinance to kill every member of the fleet, however, we do not need to mission kill every asset arrayed against the ship-self. By varying our thrust direction, we can cause a uncertainty factor to set in all the way until the very last step.

We can punch through the interception web by accelerating all the way to World 03, but we will need to use a Antimatter Key to stop without burning up in the atmosphere.

It would also be possible to maneuver so that only the two fusion craft would engage with us, though the trajectory would be delayed by a month.

Most other options more or less cause a fail state to occur, but perhaps the analysis engines may come up with something new.

What should we do?

A. punch through the interception web by not committing an deceleration burn, necessitating an antimatter Key use upon arriving at World 03.
B. Maneuver a long route, risking only interception by the two fusion rocket driven craft.
C. Something else? (fill in.)

Spoiler: Status (click to show/hide)

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2022, 11:24:56 pm »

Is that one of those AI-generated portraits (guessing from the URL watermark)? It uh... goes a little downhill right of the midline, huh?

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I want to be your blahaj.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2022, 02:19:42 am »

Punch through!

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 08, 2022, 02:39:51 am »

OUR SHIP IS A FIST AND THEIR FLEET IS THE FACE SO LET US PUNCH IT!

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2022, 07:49:06 am »

Punch through.

Once we arrive at the cradle world, we will be in an extremely strong position, especially given how little they know about us. As long as they witness our use of an antimatter key, they will have no choice but to act as if we can destroy the cradle world at will.
One wheel short of a wagon

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 08, 2022, 02:55:58 pm »

I'm not thrilled about burning an antimatter key every six months. How many of those things do we have, anyway?
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Fluffe9911

• Bay Watcher
  • Such ‼Socks‼ Much Fun
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 08, 2022, 05:52:59 pm »

I'm not thrilled about burning an antimatter key every six months. How many of those things do we have, anyway?
4 we will be using up our third one here anyway Punch Through

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 09, 2022, 02:49:53 am »

I’m thinking B, that way we only have 2 ships to deal with instead of the entire fleet, also wouldn’t they follow us to the crude world?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4