Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 73 74 [75] 76 77 ... 98

Author Topic: Maybe the WWIII thread (soon) (Ukraine)  (Read 69286 times)

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Maybe the WWIII thread (soon) (Ukraine)
« Reply #1110 on: March 24, 2022, 10:11:28 pm »

Meanwhile, there are unconfirmed reports in Armenian\Azeri Twitter that Azerbaijan started an offensive into Karabakh after Russian troops left the area

Edit: Really minor incursion blown out of proportions. Azerbaijani army took some hills in a gray area. But there is a potential for escalation.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2022, 02:58:27 am by Strongpoint »
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1111 on: March 25, 2022, 03:50:35 am »

Perhaps it is also a good time for Georgia to retake the illegally occupied territories, and for Chechnya to overthrow their puppet leader and declare independence. I also think Afghanistan still has some unsettled business with Russians.

Meanwhile in Russia, a DSM studies for the Russian business news paper Vedomosti shows that many Russian are hoarding medication.
They are mostly hoarding anti-depressants, sleeping pills, insulin, cancer and heart medication, and birth control pills, out of fear that those will soon no longer be available, or unaffordable in their country because of sanctions.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2022, 03:58:13 am by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1112 on: March 25, 2022, 04:45:53 am »

Perhaps it is also a good time for Georgia to retake the illegally occupied territories, and for Chechnya to overthrow their puppet leader and declare independence. I also think Afghanistan still has some unsettled business with Russians.

Meanwhile in Russia, a DSM studies for the Russian business news paper Vedomosti shows that many Russian are hoarding medication.
They are mostly hoarding anti-depressants, sleeping pills, insulin, cancer and heart medication, and birth control pills, out of fear that those will soon no longer be available, or unaffordable in their country because of sanctions.

The current Georgian government doesn't even want to join economic sanctions.

Kadyrov's grip is too strong and the majority of Chechens who are capable of fighting... Are fighting in Ukraine

Taliban has rather good relationships with Russia and has no reason to rush things. With many Central Asian immigrants losing jobs in Russia (because of the inevitable Russian recession) and returning home, we can see serious instability in the region. And when we see political instability in Muslim countries (even rather secular) we see Radical Islamism on the rise.
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1113 on: March 25, 2022, 05:49:46 am »

The EU has let it be known that they refuse to pay for their gas and oil in rubles.
Not accepting euros or dollars would be a breach of contract from the side of Russia.

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1114 on: March 25, 2022, 11:06:39 am »

https://www.haaretz.com/world-news/europe/.premium-top-ukraine-intel-official-this-is-where-putin-failed-1.10697255

A good piece for understanding why Ukrainian intelligence didn't quite believe that Russia is going to invade despite warnings from NATO

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1115 on: March 25, 2022, 11:54:34 am »

Russia announced that 'the first phase of the military operation' is now complete, and they will now focus on 'liberating Donbass'

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #1116 on: March 25, 2022, 12:07:53 pm »

Russia announced that 'the first phase of the military operation' is now complete, and they will now focus on 'liberating Donbass'

Now there's a level of being in denial I haven't seen in a good while, nice. :v
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #1117 on: March 25, 2022, 12:16:13 pm »

They were openly expecting to sweep the entire country a month ago. Redefining their mission like this is basocally an admission of defeat.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1118 on: March 25, 2022, 12:17:19 pm »

Either they are preparing to admit defeat, they're in complete denial, or it's a trap.
If I were Ukraine I would not move too many forces to Donbass, away from Kyiv and other important places.
I suspect Ukraine is smart enough to already realize that.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1119 on: March 25, 2022, 12:32:01 pm »

Russia also announced that they have 1351 KIA. Very believable

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #1120 on: March 25, 2022, 01:03:23 pm »

Note that, by any sane standard, 1300 KIA in a month is extremely high. Scaling for time, most of the battles in Vietnam were not that brutal. It takes something like the World Wars or ghe hardest-fought battles in Korea to exceed the level of intesity needed to lose that many guys that quickly - the US lost almost that many at Chosin Reservoir

These are their "we're totally winning with acceptable casualties" figures. The losses they are admitting to are disasterous.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
« Reply #1121 on: March 25, 2022, 01:43:06 pm »

Unconfirmed: two Russian commanding officers have been killed -- one purportedly by their own men.

Spoiler: from BBC live updates (click to show/hide)

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #1122 on: March 25, 2022, 02:13:21 pm »

Is there some report on how is the percentage of the russian army presence in Ukraine between conscripts or volunteers/professionals ?

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #1123 on: March 25, 2022, 02:20:12 pm »

Russia probably doesn't have that information because of they way they forced a lot of consctipts into becoming "volunteer" soldiers. Dount anybody else does.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1124 on: March 25, 2022, 03:17:04 pm »

Is there some report on how is the percentage of the russian army presence in Ukraine between conscripts or volunteers/professionals ?

Officially, for the whole Russian land forces, only 30% are conscripts and the rest is professionals.

But there are doubts that those numbers are accurate

Pages: 1 ... 73 74 [75] 76 77 ... 98