Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 98

Author Topic: Maybe the WWIII thread (soon) (Ukraine)  (Read 69142 times)

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
Re: Maybe the WWIII thread (soon) (Ukraine)
« Reply #465 on: March 03, 2022, 01:30:15 pm »

The story basically came up within the first day or so of the invasion, basically attributing all of the initial downed aircraft to a single pilot, which if true would've made them one of the first aces of the 21st century (if not THE first, not 100% sure on that), and the first ace-in-a-day since 1965. The general consensus seemed to be a simple mistake regarding how many early losses the Russians suffered, where, and who might've been responsible for them.

It also seems that the Ghost of Kyiv story is regarded as more of a morale benefit for Ukraine than whatever value it has to the Russian misinformation campaign, so  now you've got people propagating the meme even while knowing it to be inaccurate.

Of course by now I wouldn't be surprised if at least one Ukrainian pilot has made ace, even if not ace-in-a-day. So it may have started as just a ghost story (pun intended), but it isn't guaranteed to stay that way.
On DF Wiki ˇ On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #466 on: March 03, 2022, 03:27:04 pm »

Word has it that a Russian Major General has been killed
Seems to be so
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/ukraine-russia-kill-andrei-sukhovetsky-b2027858.html
I like how on the side of the article, I see another article where Putin claims the war is going to plan.  Maybe he wanted the General to die?

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #467 on: March 03, 2022, 03:43:36 pm »

He wants everyone to die.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #468 on: March 03, 2022, 04:05:36 pm »

The US has admitted that they are sharing real-time intelligence and tactical data with Ukraine. There may be one or two people on this planet that are surprised by this. May.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #469 on: March 03, 2022, 04:17:58 pm »

It is rumoured that Belarusian soldiers in Gomel are refusing orders.

Perhaps there is hope for humanity still.
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #470 on: March 03, 2022, 04:32:38 pm »

The US has admitted that they are sharing real-time intelligence and tactical data with Ukraine. There may be one or two people on this planet that are surprised by this. May.

It is as surprising as China knowing Putin's intentions before the invasion started.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #471 on: March 03, 2022, 04:50:40 pm »

In b4 it turns out Putin was playing 69-dimensional Solitare and the whole plan was to fast-track the Ukraine into the EU, dismantle the corrupt government by imploding the country and rob the oligarchs trough international sanctions.

In a few days folks will realize he's gone, they'll go looking and the only thing they'll find is his shirt and some bear tracks leading from his bunker off into the icy taiga.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #472 on: March 03, 2022, 06:49:43 pm »

In b4 it turns out Putin was playing 69-dimensional Solitare and the whole plan was to fast-track the Ukraine into the EU, dismantle the corrupt government by imploding the country and rob the oligarchs trough international sanctions.

In a few days folks will realize he's gone, they'll go looking and the only thing they'll find is his shirt and some bear tracks leading from his bunker off into the icy taiga.
It's 5D hyperdimensional scuba chess

Putin is secretly planning to convince NATO into disbanding itself by single-handedly dismantling the Russian army

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #473 on: March 03, 2022, 06:55:32 pm »

Now seeing reports that Ukranian counterattacks have cut off the column attacking Kiev, pocketing thousands of Russian troops.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #474 on: March 03, 2022, 07:02:36 pm »

Now seeing reports that Ukranian counterattacks have cut off the column attacking Kiev, pocketing thousands of Russian troops.

>tfw when you get surrounded trying to surround a city
On DF Wiki ˇ On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #475 on: March 03, 2022, 07:08:55 pm »

I just got a YouTube recommendation about the Ghost Of Kiev.

Strange, as I know what kinds of recommendations I get (as 'notifications' from my tablet's App), and it's not that sort of thing. Nor has it seemed to shadow general written activities as if it's been cribbing off what I've posted.

I may watch it later (between the usual tech/spaceflight things that make up 99.99% of my usual fare, including horrribly narrated 'woo science' stuff that I've not been able to actively downvote in any way), but I'll see if I can dig into the "why have I been recommended this?" feature, if I can find it after the last few App updates probably moved everything around again...

>tfw when you get surrounded trying to surround a city
...reminds me of this, but probably far less organised.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #476 on: March 03, 2022, 07:26:21 pm »

Fuck. Europe's largest nuclear power plant at Zaporizja is on fire after Russian attacks.

EDIT: I asked half-jokingly last week if anyone had room for 10 million refugees.
The UN refugee committee now says they expect 10 million Ukrainian refugees.

Meanwhile, some Russians are fleeing Russia, with a new law about to be passsed that can get you 15 years in prison for spreading fake news, plus rumour that Putin is about to declare martial law. They fear that if they don't leave now, they will get stuck in Russia if Putin decides to lock down the borders.

« Last Edit: March 03, 2022, 07:41:33 pm by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #477 on: March 03, 2022, 07:49:37 pm »

It really does feel like we're watching a bad movie about the descent of a nation into madness.

I suspect Russia doesn't have the equivalent of the 2nd amendment right to bear arms, but what percent of the population is packing anyway, I wonder?
This product contains deoxyribonucleic acid which is known to the State of California to cause cancer, reproductive harm, and other health issues.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #478 on: March 03, 2022, 07:59:22 pm »

Fuck. Europe's largest nuclear power plant at Zaporizja is on fire after Russian attacks.

Russians are mad
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #479 on: March 03, 2022, 09:15:09 pm »

Apparently they realized that they are humans too and radiation is bad for us, so a "cease of fire" was done in the plant (they stopped to retardely fire at a potential nuclear bomb) and some Russians officials came around inside a white car blinking ligths. Perhaps they'll talk it out. As they should have done every fucking dispute instead of invading .
« Last Edit: March 03, 2022, 09:16:41 pm by LordBaal »
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 98