Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11

Author Topic: Oh jeez, Quicktopic is shutting down  (Read 61813 times)

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
Re: Oh jeez, Quicktopic is shutting down
« Reply #120 on: December 10, 2021, 11:55:32 pm »

I'm done with all I can do. I gotta go to bed.

I made it up to Worse Things Happen At Sea.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: December 10, 2021, 11:57:25 pm »

Then we did it then. I made it up to Orfballs. So we managed to intersect

EDIT:

To avoid a double post, I just want to mention that I've integrated Webadict's work on page 10 with my own archive and am heading off to bed. It is 12 minutes past midnight where I am and quicktopic is still online.

Imagine if they meant the end of Saturday. Or they're going to close in the morning when the guy comes in. That'd be funny.

Jokes aside, I consider this Venture to be a success. We all came together in the end when we needed to and archived all of the public quicktopics. A few hidden ones have definitely been lost, but those were always bonus. They were never visible to the public eye and probably would have remained that way if this incident hadn't shone a new light on their importance.

So pat yourselves on the back and take a good rest. Good night!
« Last Edit: December 11, 2021, 12:19:22 am by heydude6 »
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

Skynet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: December 11, 2021, 11:08:08 am »

I just clicked on a Quicktopic link (https://www.quicktopic.com/50/H/YCTJdptW9pyY) and it's still active, so I guess they really meant they would shut down at the end of Saturday. Ah well, better safe than sorry.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: December 11, 2021, 12:14:07 pm »

Well, it’s gone now an hour later. Maybe it really was the morning the guy came in to work. Still a bit early for me, I don’t have the energy to make a speech yet.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: December 11, 2021, 03:25:08 pm »

Actually, just check Max Spin's post. For some reason, his page 10 is actually my page 12. Nobody archived the real page 10. This is an emergency! Can you still Help? I'll take top, you take bottom!

Edit: I did lonely prince Already. I'll start from bottom actually!
That's really weird. It's definitely 10 for me. There are 27 pages total, 25 threads per page. How many do you have?

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: December 11, 2021, 03:48:33 pm »

I have 33 pages. Probably 20 threads per page.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: December 11, 2021, 03:58:24 pm »

Huh. I don't remember changing it. I don't even know if it can be changed. Well, sorry about that.

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: December 11, 2021, 04:10:15 pm »

Well, I think we're all good - I submitted the "?o=1&range=all" -ending links to archive.org overnight, and downloaded them all as HTML (I'll upload to some cloud thing within a week, if I don't forget), so we have 2-3 backup copies of all QuickTopics.

Meph, do you think it's a good idea to update all relevant messages on this forum to point to archive.org/.../quicktopic.com/... ?

I tried just using their toolbar, but that doesn't really work, since QuickTopic has set all URLs to redirect to their shutdown page. :/
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: December 11, 2021, 04:19:12 pm »

Meph, do you think it's a good idea to update all relevant messages on this forum to point to archive.org/.../quicktopic.com/... ?

I guess that depends on how much work would be involved in doing that sort of update.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: December 11, 2021, 04:30:43 pm »

Technically... we could write a script that would find-replace all instances.

Only issue is that only you could run it, since you have mod powers.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: December 11, 2021, 04:38:30 pm »

Which I could do, I'm fine with that. Though we'd probably want to get Toady's blessing before running an update script on his forum.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: December 12, 2021, 12:01:41 am »

At the very least we could sticky a post notifying people that Quicktopic no longer works and where the archives are.

EDIT: Although maybe that should be in the Notable Games Archive or something too.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: December 12, 2021, 06:25:01 am »

Technically... we could write a script that would find-replace all instances.

Only issue is that only you could run it, since you have mod powers.

Which I could do, I'm fine with that. Though we'd probably want to get Toady's blessing before running an update script on his forum.

Yes, I think we could do that. However, we'd probably want to do a test run before going full auto-update, and have sanity checks (maybe manual confirmation?). Running untested scripts in prod has a tendency to be undexpected...  :-X
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: December 12, 2021, 07:54:35 am »

Would that be much more desirable than just commenting with the links at the end of each thread? I don't know if one script would be harder to write than the other, so this is all a bit over my head.
One wheel short of a wagon

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: December 12, 2021, 09:07:56 am »

Neither is more or less hard, since we've already made functions that can edit and post. One might be more computationally expensive and take longer than the other, though, since editting every post involves getting every post.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11