Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11

Author Topic: Oh jeez, Quicktopic is shutting down  (Read 61840 times)

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Oh jeez, Quicktopic is shutting down
« Reply #45 on: December 08, 2021, 03:45:07 am »

I might have some of those games, I don't delete my mafia PMs usually. I am very busy Wednesday and then need a couple hours to be braindead Thursday, but after that I can work on this.

I'm going to prioritize the NGA because I really think it's the best of B12, but after that I can just go a page at a time.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 08, 2021, 10:07:35 am »

*snip*

Thanks. I needed to hear that.

Since being shy has bitten me in the ass in the past I need to ask a stupid question. I noticed you mentioned trying to archive Time Travel Mafia. That's a very old game and I stumbled upon it while archiving. As far as I could tell, it didn't have a quicktopic, but there was zero evidence for or against this. Since you were the past GM, are you certain that it had a quicktopic? Due to TTM's age, that would have made you the first GM after Mephansteras to use quicktopic.

Now for the actual stupid question though. I assume you stumbled up Time Travel mafia while trying to archive the notable games section? That wasn't part of your normal archiving attempts? I ask because I've been archiving games from oldest to newest and I assume you're archiving newest to oldest. I'm pretty certain this is the case, but like I said before, being shy has bitten me in the ass before. I will interpret no response as affirmation that nothing weird is going on.

EDIT: To Vector:

Since I don't want work to be unnecessarily repeated, I think I should share my opinion on which pages I think you should do. Skynet is doing newest to oldest, and I'm doing oldest to newest. As a result, I think you should start somewhere in the middle. Well actually I think you should start by archiving your own games first (I'll then skip archiving the games where you are the GM) and then starting at the middle. Specifically I'm thinking page 19 should be a starting point, then 18, 17 etc. That is, head towards the newer games since I think we'd intersect quite soon if you headed towards me.

Make sure you don't just save the games on wayback, but also keep the archive links in a word document somewhere. There's no point archiving the links if you can't find them afterwards.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2021, 10:19:08 am by heydude6 »
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 08, 2021, 04:15:06 pm »

Since I don't want work to be unnecessarily repeated, I think I should share my opinion on which pages I think you should do. Skynet is doing newest to oldest, and I'm doing oldest to newest. As a result, I think you should start somewhere in the middle. Well actually I think you should start by archiving your own games first (I'll then skip archiving the games where you are the GM) and then starting at the middle. Specifically I'm thinking page 19 should be a starting point, then 18, 17 etc. That is, head towards the newer games since I think we'd intersect quite soon if you headed towards me.

Make sure you don't just save the games on wayback, but also keep the archive links in a word document somewhere. There's no point archiving the links if you can't find them afterwards.

Thanks, this is actually extremely helpful direction to have.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 08, 2021, 04:23:46 pm »

Paranormal 13 Dopp chat: https://www.quicktopic.com/43/H/NanQ7RwxQN7TU

Feel free to PM me with anything else missing from my games. I'll likely notice it faster that way, and it's better to get stuff earlier rather than later given the time limit.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 08, 2021, 04:31:04 pm »

I wasn't doing anything, so I saved that one. http://web.archive.org/web/20211208213016/https://www.quicktopic.com/43/H/NanQ7RwxQN7TU?o=0&range=all&m1=1&mN=82&print=1&submit=Show+printable+page

I don't actually have time to keep doing this, but I'll help now and then as I can.

Skynet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 09, 2021, 12:55:07 am »

Since being shy has bitten me in the ass in the past I need to ask a stupid question. I noticed you mentioned trying to archive Time Travel Mafia. That's a very old game and I stumbled upon it while archiving. As far as I could tell, it didn't have a quicktopic, but there was zero evidence for or against this. Since you were the past GM, are you certain that it had a quicktopic? Due to TTM's age, that would have made you the first GM after Mephansteras to use quicktopic.

I am not certain that I did a quicktopic for this topic. I just assumed it to be the case, but it's possibly not true. After all, early on in this forum's history, it was enough for people to communicate via PMs, so long as they forward the PM off to the moderator. In any event, I am unable to gain access to my old account, so even if I used quicktopic (which I'm beginning to doubt, as the word "quicktopic" never even appeared in the thread to begin with), we will not be able to find the exact topic I used there.

Now for the actual stupid question though. I assume you stumbled up Time Travel mafia while trying to archive the notable games section? That wasn't part of your normal archiving attempts? I ask because I've been archiving games from oldest to newest and I assume you're archiving newest to oldest. I'm pretty certain this is the case, but like I said before, being shy has bitten me in the ass before. I will interpret no response as affirmation that nothing weird is going on.

I stumbled upon Time Travel mafia when archiving the notable game section. It was not part of the normal archiving attempts.

Also, heydude6, while I haven't gotten good records of all the backed-up archived links, the fact that I'm saving the links in a specific fashion means that I'll probably be able to reconstruct the Wayback Machine links if necessary. I'll make sure to keep an accurate record of all future links I save in Wayback Machine though.

EDIT: Page 6 is mostly saved, though I'm still encountering data lag. heydude6, how many pages were you able to save today? I think that will give us a good idea of what needs to be done on Thursday.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2021, 02:54:52 am by Skynet »

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 09, 2021, 03:18:44 am »

So here's that report I promised finally. I took a lot of notes throughout the day, listing what I wanted to talk about. I am tired though, where I am it's almost midnight, so we'll see how big it will be in the end.

So to start with the basics, I was only able to do 6 pages today. And I see myself only being able to do around that amount for the forseeable future, though I think I will be consistent with this. This sucks for many reasons, but long story short, it would be nice to have more volunteers. Just show your interest in the thread and I'll give you directions like for Vector. Otherwise, we should begin having a serious conversation about what should be cut to save time. This wouldn't have been a problem if I could have started on Monday...

Most of the stuff in my notes was just fun stuff, like who was the first GM to use quicktopic after Mephansteras, but there are some serious things here as well. The most serious I think is my list of games that are missing public quicktopics. Whenever such a game came up, I would look through the players and figure out which of them would have the link and whether they were still active. Here are some names:

JoshuaFH was the GM of Weirdo Mafia. A scum chat was posted by Vector years after the game ended, but no dead chat surfaced and all players who died that game are no longer on the forum. The only option is to contact the GM himself who is still very active. Joshua was also the GM of the unfinished Weirdo mafia 2. Normally I don't pay attention to abandoned games, but this one made it quite far so I think it's worth recovering and preserving the quicktopics for those.

Persus13. When Skynet talked about the Mason chat in the aborted Fallacy's BYOR 4 not working, I brushed it off as being unimportant. Turns out that Persus13 is still very active, so it won't hurt to ask if he can find it. My current theory is that the original link in the role PM was broken, so Persus Pmed the mod, and got a working one that he never posted.

Mephansteras. Meph basically Pioneered the use of quicktopics, and the protocol of posting them after a game ends, but even he makes mistakes. In Paranormal 9 he had two allied aliens active which usually implies that they have a chat together that was never posted. The role names also made it seem like the Disciples of Truth were a mason pair, but no chat was posted. That last one was just speculation though, I need Meph to verify it. Additionally, I would like Meph to provide the quicktopics for the aborted Paranormal 4 -SCRATCH-. It didn't last very long, but the deadchat in that game somehow had knock-on effects on the do-over game and as a result I believe the record should be preserved. You might as well provide a link to the Dopp topic at that point as well.

Webadict was around since the very beginning, and has both hosted and played in a lot of games, making him a treasure trove of exclusive information. It's unclear when he switched to quicktopic, but he was definitely slow to do so. In a perfect world I would ask him about each and every one the games he hosted to try to learn if there was a hidden quicktopic I had simply not gotten ahold of, but I am certain it would annoy the heck out of him. Plus he genuinely might not be able to remember.

What really gave me a mindfuck though was this line:

Webadict:

1) is there a dead chat?
1) There is not a dead chat, because no one tends to use them with my games.

In the timeline I constructed, this was the first game where Webadict used quicktopics at all, but here he implied that he had ran multiple games with quicktopics. Enough actually to decide that a dead chat wasn't worth including. Which then prompts the question: "Where are those games?". Did Colour Mafia have a quick topic all along? Was it maybe Vote mafia (1, 2, 3)? Could it be Dwarf fortress mafia (1, 3, 4) of all things?! I need answers dammit!  :'(

Regardless, there are smaller mysteries I need web's help with. I need him to tell me if BYOR-The ExKirby Version had a dead chat since he died in that one. I need him to post the scum quicktopic of BYOR Mafia 2 since he had already been using quicktopics by that point and I doubt he would abandon them for this game. And finally, I want to know if any of the games he hosted in that era had dead chats, because the quote implies that he did (and it's better than asking for each game individually).

--

Vector's Bastard Mafia Game definitely had a deadchat though. Though Vector was not the game's original mod, the GM definitely game them extra information and they are the last hope of acquiring that piece of missing information. The GM and the dead players have all left the forum.

Unfortunately I can't say there's any hope of recovering quicktopics for Second Chance Mafia. All of the players who could have known something have left the forum. inteuniso, one of the scum disappeared back in February, but stopped posting a few years ago. The only silver lining was that the GM came from an older era, and may have simply been one of the few not to use quicktopic. There may have been nothing lost, bu he didn't mention Pms either.

While doing this work, I learned a lot about the ways you can screw this job up. You have to be very careful, and a creative thinker to make sure you don't miss anything. I almost omitted the scum chat from Kill Webadict now for example since it was only posted within the role PM. It would have been lost forever if I didn't go back to check after I discovered the more prominently placed scumchat of the sequel sequel.

Another wierd thing that happened was that in Bay12 mafia, the very first post of the scum quicktopic was not visible in "all messages" mode. I had to create seperate archive of just that first post alongside the regular archive. It may have been acceptable to just let it perish, but I refuse to accept defeat. My point is, always scroll all the way to the bottom when you're archiving your QTs. Who knows what you'll miss. This bug only happened once btw <_<

I share these stories because I want them to be learning experiences for all those who volunteer to help. Not every topic is going to have all of the links compiled in one convenient place, so it's up to you to go out of your way to search for them. I always read the role Pms to check for masons for that reason. But with some of the paranormal games, I had to go further than that. Paranormal 5 and its 4 mason pairs was a good example of that. No mention of that in the role PMs.

Its scary to rely on others to maintain that same standard of scrutiny, but I've got no choice. Just be careful guys.

Anyway I'm too tired to end this gracefully. I'll PM the bolded parties in the morning. Since a lot of people are intent on archiving the NGA, I've provided a list of all of the games from it that I archived while doing my usual process. If it's crossed out, it means you can skip it cause I already got it.

This is the Notable Games Archive, where we keep all of Bay12's best rounds of Mafia.  The rounds that, due to some high-quality aspect, deserve to be remembered.  Since the forum is pretty old, there's a lot of great games here.  If you're a newbie, you should probably start with the Vanilla games, though everything else is awesome, too.

If you've just finished playing, reading, or running a particularly excellent game, come to this thread and nominate it!  This is the place to squawk about it for future generations of mafia players.

Spoiler: Classic setups (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Bring Your Own Role (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Crazy closed setups (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Bastard Mods (click to show/hide)

I've saved you guys a decent chunk of work.

FakeEdit: And I finished this at 3. Next report won't be as big as this, don't worry.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 09, 2021, 06:06:57 am »

Paranormal 5 was actually a scheme concocted by me. I essentially divvied up all players into their own quick topics... Because I figured it would be a fun thought experiment and it could potentially catch scum. It was super gimmicky, though.

Uuuuggggghhhhh, I actually am gonna have a hard time with this one since I deleted most of my quicktopics, but lemme posr what I can find...

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 09, 2021, 06:09:59 am »

I have a secret, though, and that that I have never deleted a single PM, so I can find everything if I look...

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 09, 2021, 06:47:48 am »

Webadict was around since the very beginning, and has both hosted and played in a lot of games, making him a treasure trove of exclusive information. It's unclear when he switched to quicktopic, but he was definitely slow to do so. In a perfect world I would ask him about each and every one the games he hosted to try to learn if there was a hidden quicktopic I had simply not gotten ahold of, but I am certain it would annoy the heck out of him. Plus he genuinely might not be able to remember.

What really gave me a mindfuck though was this line:

Webadict:

1) is there a dead chat?
1) There is not a dead chat, because no one tends to use them with my games.

In the timeline I constructed, this was the first game where Webadict used quicktopics at all, but here he implied that he had ran multiple games with quicktopics. Enough actually to decide that a dead chat wasn't worth including. Which then prompts the question: "Where are those games?". Did Colour Mafia have a quick topic all along? Was it maybe Vote mafia (1, 2, 3)? Could it be Dwarf fortress mafia (1, 3, 4) of all things?! I need answers dammit!  :'(

Regardless, there are smaller mysteries I need web's help with. I need him to tell me if BYOR-The ExKirby Version had a dead chat since he died in that one. I need him to post the scum quicktopic of BYOR Mafia 2 since he had already been using quicktopics by that point and I doubt he would abandon them for this game. And finally, I want to know if any of the games he hosted in that era had dead chats, because the quote implies that he did (and it's better than asking for each game individually).
Mysteries that I can solve:
BYOR-The ExKirby Version does not appear to have had a deadchat, or if it did, I was never sent it. That was a weird game.

Vote Mafia 3 had a deadchat but not a scum Quicktopic. Not sure why!
Vote Mafia 3 DeadChat: https://www.quicktopic.com/43/H/hJPQyJC2993j

It doesn't look like anything else before that had QuickTopics before that, so that must've been the earliest adoption. Likely, a few games afterward had deadchats, but... Well, look at BYOR2's deadchat, and you'll know why I said that.

BYOR2 Scumchat: http://www.quicktopic.com/43/H/gNuyajvx8Vry
BYOR2 Deadchat: http://www.quicktopic.com/43/H/UJS8Z4mBbQJ5Z
BYOR2 almost had a Cultchat, but the Cultists died before it was used because I was always lazy.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 09, 2021, 10:40:26 am »

Mephansteras. Meph basically Pioneered the use of quicktopics, and the protocol of posting them after a game ends, but even he makes mistakes. In Paranormal 9 he had two allied aliens active which usually implies that they have a chat together that was never posted. The role names also made it seem like the Disciples of Truth were a mason pair, but no chat was posted. That last one was just speculation though, I need Meph to verify it. Additionally, I would like Meph to provide the quicktopics for the aborted Paranormal 4 -SCRATCH-. It didn't last very long, but the deadchat in that game somehow had knock-on effects on the do-over game and as a result I believe the record should be preserved. You might as well provide a link to the Dopp topic at that point as well.

[/spoiler]

Paranormal 4 - Take 1 - Dopps: https://www.quicktopic.com/43/H/8nMQv2cCDTNHG

Paranormal 4 - Take 1 - Dead: https://www.quicktopic.com/43/H/PSPwMucQj49

Looks like for Paranormal 9 I only have quicktopics for Dopps and Dead. Checking over the game, none of the other roles actually had reason to know about one another. Disciple of Truth is actually a one-shot Day Cop role, so not masons. And the two aliens were on different teams, so no quickchat for them either.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 09, 2021, 12:06:36 pm »

Mysteries that I can solve:
BYOR-The ExKirby Version does not appear to have had a deadchat, or if it did, I was never sent it. That was a weird game.

Vote Mafia 3 had a deadchat but not a scum Quicktopic. Not sure why!
Vote Mafia 3 DeadChat: https://www.quicktopic.com/43/H/hJPQyJC2993j

It doesn't look like anything else before that had QuickTopics before that, so that must've been the earliest adoption. Likely, a few games afterward had deadchats, but... Well, look at BYOR2's deadchat, and you'll know why I said that.

BYOR2 Scumchat: http://www.quicktopic.com/43/H/gNuyajvx8Vry
BYOR2 Deadchat: http://www.quicktopic.com/43/H/UJS8Z4mBbQJ5Z
BYOR2 almost had a Cultchat, but the Cultists died before it was used because I was always lazy.
This was really helpful Webadict. Thank you.

And the two aliens were on different teams, so no quickchat for them either.

---------------

BloodBeard
    You are an Alien Operative. Sent here with the Exterminator, Nuke, to purge this town of the Doppelgangers and everything their corruption has touched. Each night you may choose to use one of your abilities to aid Nuke in his quest. You may use each ability only once.
    Here is the list of abilities you have access to

* Determine a player's Race
    * Determine a player's Role
    * Perform a Night Kill on a player
    * Role-Block a player
    * Act as a Vengful Bodyguard for the Alien.

Should the Exterminator fall, you must do your best to complete the job yourself. Should he have any unused tech, you may take it for yourself.

--

NUKE9.13
    You are an Alien Exterminator of the Vangalan Order of the Holy Suns. These doppelgangers that have been created are an abomination before the gods, and they and everything they have touched must be purged. You must make your way to this human town and destroy everything there. You will have to work in stealth, however, as there are forces working in the area that would stop you should they detect your presence.

To aid you in your quest, you have been trained in the use of the Mind Shield discipline. In addition, you have been granted two tech slots. Choose wisely, and may the Lords of the Infinite Suns guide you to victory.

Mr.Person (Alien)
    You are an Alien Doppelganger Hunter. Your client has hired you to bring him back one of these doppelgangers for his private collection. Once during the game you may select another player to abduct. You and that player are then removed from the game. If you captured a doppelganger, you win. Otherwise, you lose. To aid you in this, you have been granted one tech slot item.

PM me your tech choice before the end of day 1.

There were 3 aliens though, not two. I need the chat between Bloodbeard and NUKE9.13 if there is one.

Well, Redwarrior, actually I saw a coordinated attack on webadict - Bloodbeard used his block on you (thinking you'd be protecting webadict, I guess) while Nuke took out webadict.  Does the Alien Exterminator automatically get a mindshield or was it by chance?

I'd be inclined to say that it was probably a better choice to take out webadict - a confirmed towny webadict means that all the town roles can work together against the scum.

This one was very short so I just archived the base url: https://web.archive.org/web/20211209164020/https://www.quicktopic.com/43/H/PSPwMucQj49
Then the other one: https://web.archive.org/web/20211209164151/https://www.quicktopic.com/43/H/8nMQv2cCDTNHG?o=0&range=all&m1=1&mN=20&print=1&submit=Show+printable+page

Thank you Spin
« Last Edit: December 09, 2021, 12:13:38 pm by heydude6 »

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 09, 2021, 12:43:57 pm »

Ah. Missed that. In any case, I don't have a quicktopic for them. I think they probably just used PMs to communicate. Not uncommon for 3rd parties back then.
Come play Mafia with us!

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 09, 2021, 02:20:16 pm »

Thanks for the PM Heydude, but it looks like the Mason chat from FBYOR4 is down for good. I checked my role PM and dug up an old email notification and both those links were dead too.

Let me know if I can help at all another way! I'm pretty busy for the next week or so, so I don't think I have time to help archive, but I'm happy to dig up old role PMs if need be.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2021, 02:22:21 pm by Persus13 »
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11