Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 17

Author Topic: CYOGTCG Academy - Core Thread (Player List Closed)  (Read 11023 times)

Iris

• Bay Watcher
  • A paradox of love and righteous sin
    • View Profile
Re: CYOGTCG Academy - Core Thread (Player List Closed)
« Reply #195 on: September 04, 2021, 08:13:05 pm »

"Wow, with all these new cards, I'll have to make another deck soon!"

Card Name: Mana-Powered Forge
Spoiler: Card Image (click to show/hide)
Background Colour: Tan
Star Cost: 1
Quote from: AseaHeru (on Discord), Monday, June 20, 2022 10:41 PM
I still want the D. The D is love, the D is life. The D is bully.
Rewind, can't keep going
My mind keeps replaying
That night when we dove in
But now I'm sinking

Failbird105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: September 05, 2021, 06:24:42 pm »

((The cards are coming along. I'm waiting on the proxy players card, but otherwise, they're all either done or actively in progress. I'd recommend you make some decks now if you want to get some action in, because next comes Lunch, when everyone will get the chance to play if they want it.))

Failbird105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: September 06, 2021, 06:49:28 pm »

Day 2 - Lunch (And playing CYOGTCG)(It is now Noon)

The students of this year all filter into the large cafeteria. The place has both an outdoor open air area, and an interior portion, and as you arrive, you see that there are several restaurant chains offering largely non-competing types of food that have small scale food-court style businesses here that you could buy from if you have enough money. Otherwise however, those of you who brought a lunch from home can simply take a seat and eat.

Or, of course, you can take(or make) your decks and go off to challenge your other classmates! Because who the fuck actually spends their lunch period eating nowadays!

Wichtel climbs onto a bench and places down a plastic container filled with something Green, and not the good sort of green that a salad is. She shovels the strange substance into her mouth with reckless abandon.

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
  • Currently experiencing fremdschämen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: September 06, 2021, 09:09:06 pm »

Glenn Jerkson headed to her locker in order to get her other uniform, then headed towards the washroom in order to change...
websim.ai is coming dangerously close to being able to run Gridhood. Maybe I'll live to see the day if I exercise, eat right, and somehow convince the world's governments not to nuke everyone.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: September 07, 2021, 08:21:20 am »

Given she happens to be away from home she grabs the meal of the day, a burger and some salad. Sitting down to eat, she puts her deck out as if in challenge to anyone who wants to.

She really hopes that G-like person doesn't challenge her. She doesn't want to replicate her sister's issues. [Want to play Strik?]

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: September 07, 2021, 06:21:15 pm »

CYOTC dares the female who had the audacity to have a salad as a side to an all-American meal to a duel!

"Lets have a battle Supernatural person!"
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: September 07, 2021, 06:23:15 pm »

Just my luck. "Sure, I do need to test my deck out. Let's see if you are any good."

Failbird105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: September 07, 2021, 07:33:48 pm »

A duel has started between Séance and CYOTC. It will take place in Duel Thread 1

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: September 08, 2021, 06:46:34 pm »

Add:e gehæ BLÆCes drenċ
Out of curiosity, anyway, what do you intend this to mean?

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: September 08, 2021, 06:54:02 pm »

Add:e gehæ BLÆCes drenċ
Out of curiosity, anyway, what do you intend this to mean?

(Translation: Of Healing and Potions) "Wicka, or witchcraft. Though many agree they were just herbal remedies, they continue to this day in fools who see magic as real and to be feared, containing curses and black magic. What lies within this book I wonder? May this card show the proof of those fears." Seance starts to giggle. Like her sister once did she creates a spell, though she also has ideas for her first real card from watching her in that tournemnat..

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: September 08, 2021, 06:55:56 pm »

Ok, well, it definitely doesn't mean that.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: September 08, 2021, 06:58:49 pm »

Ok, well, it definitely doesn't mean that.
Eh. Olde English not my strong suit. Just put some words together that sounded good.

What does it mean, if you know? And the actual words for what the card is?

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: September 08, 2021, 07:33:06 pm »

What does it mean, if you know? And the actual words for what the card is?
I can't say for sure because add:e is an abbreviation (the colon is an old-fashioned mark for abbreviation) and I don't know exactly what it's abbreviating. Gehæ isn't even a real word as far as I can tell; it seems like you might have just got part of a word by accident, though, because gehælan is a variant of hælan, meaning 'to heal'. Its conjugated forms include gehæl "heal!", gehæle "I heal", and gehæled "healed", as examples. "Healing" as a noun form is normally just hæling, although in the genitive ("of" case, as your translation implies), hælinge. The other two words are more or less comprehensible, though: blæc means "black" (or "to bleach", the connecting concept is "colourless" - ancient language seems to have been weirdly ambivalent about black and white), and, while I don't think that "blæces" is an ordinary conjugation of it, blaces (with the regular 'a') is the correct genitive form. Now, drenċ, on the other hand, is exactly right: It means "drink" (although "drink" apparently comes from the related word drynċ instead) and has been used for "potion" (both medicine and poison). It's in the nominative, though, so it clashes with the case of the adjective 'black', and also doesn't fit the case your translation implies; it would be better written drenċes in context. That said, I believe the ċ is a modern development, and the word was actually written with a normal c at the time - it represents that it's pronounced "ch" instead of "k". Just as that implies, the word is pronounced "drench", and "drink" and "drench" are etymologically related, incidentally.

So to sum up, the way I would personally write "of healing and potions" would be hælinge and drences (no need for a specific preposition, the genitive case does the work in old english), although I think a real typesetter titling a book would probably put Hælinge ⁊ Drences, using the standard abbreviation for 'and' of the time.
That said, I may have made some kind of obvious mistake, as I don't have formal training in old english translation. It's possible someone else will say that this is almost as wrong.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: September 08, 2021, 07:46:38 pm »

I'll say it's informative. Thanks for the lesson.

Failbird, mind Refining it to Hælinge ⁊ Drences? I can swap out the old links in the duel since we've just started this game.

Failbird105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: September 08, 2021, 08:44:54 pm »

((alright, I'll get on that when I wake up))
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 17