Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 49

Author Topic: FEF: Chains of Horai IC Thread: Chapter 2: Gladly, Keiko Kuroda Seeks Vengeance  (Read 37272 times)

Praefectus Screptum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: FEF: Chains of Horai IC Thread: Chapter 1: The Melancholy of Momo Mitsui
« Reply #480 on: November 30, 2021, 07:36:18 pm »

Nullstar placed a hand on his face and gave a sigh.
"They really are doing this, aren't they? Well, if she loses, that's her problem, not ours. We won't lower our weapons."

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
  • A knight, returned from a journey weary and long
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #481 on: November 30, 2021, 08:06:50 pm »

Madoka inhaled once, then exhaled slowly. She doffed her cloak, letting the wind take the garment away from her.
". . ."
She assessed Tomoe's stance. Uncertainty began to wrap itself around her, as it always did, but this time, she couldn't banish it. Her eyes looked over her foe, as they always did, but they found no flaws that she could exploit, nothing she could strike into that wouldn't result in her taking the same or worse. Todoyama Tomoe was clearly a superior foe, one that she clearly had no hope of beating.

But she had to try.
"TENKAJI!"

Madoka activates Astral Blade Art [Tenkaji] on Tomoe.
GM of Trespassers V2.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Shipper God and Freyjapiller
    • View Profile
« Reply #482 on: November 30, 2021, 08:27:40 pm »

[Now Playing: Madoka's Theme ~ Strawberry Crisis ~]
Madoka's Gnosis glows bright violet.

In that moment, she encapsulated the very meaning of Fulmen. To break boundaries. To exceed limits, no matter what. To defy expectations. Rau, ever-changing god of thunder, had awarded Horiuchi Madoka her Gnosis not for being a master of the sword. Rau was no god of talent, no god of mastery.

She had received one for daring to be one in the face of overwhelming competition, against whom in a world where she had less resolve, she would rightfully lose.

Like Todoroki. Like all those who had doubted her skills. Like Honda Hiroyuki. Like Todayama Tomoe.

In the face of a clearly superior opponent, even one not wielding a Gnosis, it was all she could do to push her limits. And it was worth it to try.

In one single slash, Madoka's strike lands true, moving before Tomoe can even react and knocking the lancer off her feet, the air smelling of ozone and the lightning blinding her allies and enemies alike.
Quote from: Madoka vs. Tomoe
(Madoka shines like a lonely star!)
(Madoka's Tenkaji activates!)

Madoka uses her Gnosis Art: Astral Blade Art: [Tenkaji]!
Madoka initiates!
Hit Rate: 53 to hit
Hit: 44, hit!
Critical: 32, crit!
Tomoe takes 15 damage!

Tomoe retaliates!
Hit Rate: 87 to hit
Hit: 81, hit!
Madoka takes 22 damage!
However, Madoka was right. Todayama was a superior foe still. The Imperial general quickly recovers her footing, her spear rising up to smash Madoka back with the blunt end, throwing the smaller swordswoman back with ferocity. She swings her spear back into position. She wipes her mouth, shuddering. The Cursed knew what it was; her transformation was incoming, and she was forcing it back through sheer force of will.

"A fine strike, challenger. You're no amateur. But...you are not the first Gnosis-wielder I have defeated. You rate highly among them, I will admit."

Hiroyuki, quietly watching the whole thing, simply gravitates between pride in his former student, and worry about the consequences of defeat.

~~Enemy Phase~~
Tomoe surges forward with a yell, intending to bumrush Madoka.
Quote from: Tomoe vs. Madoka
(Tomoe staves off her Metamorphosis....)
(Madoka's Vantage+ activates!)
(Tomoe's Brave Art activates!)

Tomoe uses her Brave Art: Amatsu Spearmanship [Rampaging Boar]!

Madoka initiates!
Hit Rate: 63 to hit
Hit: 47, hit!
Critical: 23, crit!
Tomoe takes 12 damage!

Tomoe strikes!
Hit: 88, miss!
However, Madoka's small size forces her lance to go wide, her charge to miss into the dirt road. She had the speed advantage, and Tomoe was trying not to transform, not right there.

Her strike bats the general back, forcing her to swing her lance wide to push Madoka away. Tomoe shakes her head, steadying herself.
"N-not bad. Not bad at all."

Madoka may move first!
Spoiler: Stats (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: November 30, 2021, 08:33:58 pm by IamanElfCollaborator »

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #483 on: November 30, 2021, 08:50:50 pm »

"You're good."
Madoka panted. This was further than she thought she'd get, but there was still more distance to cross. She could win this, she just had to strike one last blow. That's all. It was easy. She'd break through this barrier as she'd broken through all the others. She had to.
"Seiiiiyaah!" The swordsman rushed forward again, this time with only her voice to thunder with her strike.

One more strike.

Wrath Strike!
GM of Trespassers V2.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #484 on: November 30, 2021, 09:12:58 pm »

Quote from: Madoka vs. Tomoe
(Madoka forgets all her fears!)
(Madoka's Wrath Strike activates!)
(Tomoe staves off her Metamorphosis....)
(Tomoe stands steadfast!)

Madoka uses her Combat Art: Wrath Strike!
Madoka initiates!
Hit Rate: 73 to hit
Hit: 100, miss!

Tomoe retaliates!
Hit: 34, hit!
Madoka takes 22 damage!
Madoka is defeated!
Despite Madoka's efforts, however, it isn't enough to cross the distance. Not enough. Barely.

Her strike slashes wide, and Tomoe counters with another blunt strike to the legs. Madoka feels herself buckle as the strike lands.

Her effort was valiant, but it wasn't enough to beat Tomoe, even with the power of her Gnosis.

She'd staked everything on defeating Tomoe, and it wasn't enough.

Madoka has lost the duel.

Tomoe pants, breathing heavily. The transformation pains fade away, slowly, now that she was able to catch her breath. She looks morosely at Madoka, left in the dirt, still conscious but beaten.
"...as per the duel's agreement....I will hold that you have all surrendered. I formally place you all under my custody."

And then slowly, surely, she turns around, pointing her spear at Hisao. He clutches his blade once more.

"....Todayama."
"My orders were clear, Hosokawa. I was to arrest the fugitives. I have done so. I was to retrieve the fugitives. I will do so."

She clenches her spear tightly, before raising her hand.

"SOLDIERS! FALL BACK! RETREAT TO FORT YASHIORI!"
Suddenly, a large group of the gathered Imperial troops leave, notably wearing banners of either the Todayama or the Imperial seal. The only soldiers remaining are some Imperial-affiliated troopers, with some bearing the Kiryu and the Hosokawa clan emblems.

"The manner in which I should make that arrest was never specified. Nor was the manner in which I would retrieve the fugitives and return them to the Palace. Nor the time limit in which I had to return them in. The Empress will have her fugitives, in my custody, and delivered to her as she asked."
She breathes in sharply.
"When we march into the Imperial Palace and throw her off her throne to stem this madness, she shall have them, and I will hold that order fulfilled."

Hisao pauses.
"....this was a loophole all along. But....the order to wipe their memories..."
"-Was given to Kobayakawa, not to me. I am bound only by the orders given to me, not to you or the other Cursed. I told you. I was not going to endanger my men by making them fight the Resistance. Not after what happened in Kamihama. The Empress will not have her way. She may hold sway over me, but she will not hurt my men, and I owe my loyalty to the throne, not her. You, in the Mizuno robes. You're....Rengoku Rin, correct?"
"....yes?"
"Please, heal your friend. She fought well. I should like to have her fight alongside me....right now."

Hisao steps back, drawing his blade as he does.
"...you know it's not that easy for me to turn on her when I gave her my word. You of all people should understand loyalty."
"I do. Which is why fighting you will be hard. But this is what this Curse has done to us."
She turns back.
"I'm sorry I couldn't explain earlier. I needed to keep it brief. Vague. I'm glad Tanigawa caught on, but I couldn't risk him catching onto my plan. I'd intended to put it into play a little later, but Momo...."
"Well, well....Todayama, coming up with a plan like that. I'm kinda impressed."
« Last Edit: November 30, 2021, 09:15:25 pm by IamanElfCollaborator »

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #485 on: November 30, 2021, 09:25:40 pm »

"Very clever. I approve."
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Praefectus Screptum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #486 on: November 30, 2021, 09:35:27 pm »

"What are you on about? We did NOT agree to any of this. That shortie said SHE would surrender if she lost, not all of us. Don't try to twist her words."
"As we said before, we are NOT going to surrender."
Nullstar tilted his head at the sudden change of events. Well then, this wasn't exactly what he was expecting from this mess, but at that point he didn't care either.
"...So you had some sort of plan after all.

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #487 on: November 30, 2021, 09:48:52 pm »

It hurt. It hurt a lot. Not the hit - she'd been hit before. Madoka had taken all manner of nick, cut, bump, and bruise in her time. Now, though?

She lost.

"Damn it. . ." She was deaf to the goings-on around her. If anything, what she heard only made it sting more. This had been the plan all along. Not only did she lose, and a single strike from victory, she lost for no reason. There was no purpose to it. It meant little to her opponent and nothing in the grand scheme of things, just like Madoka herself.

She laid on the ground, fighting back the tears that nevertheless slowly escaped to the earth she laid motionless in.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2021, 06:55:16 am by Chevaleresse »
GM of Trespassers V2.

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #488 on: December 01, 2021, 03:03:16 am »

In a move that probably surprised those who knew him - including himself - Setsurou found himself kneeling beside the fallen Madoka, holding a hand out to her. Perhaps he had seen something she hadn't wanted anyone else to see, or something no one else had noticed yet. Either way, he was intentionally blocking the line of sight from the others to her.

"Let me help you."
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
Re: FEF: Chains of Horai IC Thread: Prologue: Yusuke Yamada Gains His Freedom
« Reply #489 on: December 01, 2021, 04:27:32 am »

Trusting Tomoe was the right call! It hurt a little to see how badly Madoka took the loss, but Miyako would have to talk to her later. Right now, the next challenge was already in front of her.

"Hisao."

Hisao was even less of a friend than Tomoe was. Miyako knew him as one who rarely if ever left the Empress' side, and hadn't had many opportunities to talk to him before. He probably didn't have a loophole in mind right now.

"You're criticizing Tomoe for being loyal to the country, and not to the madwoman leading it to ruin? I know you feel you 'must' fight us now, but once you're on the ground, could you do me a favour? Consider if a good person would order anyone's memories wiped, or whatever that was about Kodai."
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #490 on: December 01, 2021, 06:58:46 am »

Madoka's head shifted slowly, turning toward Setsurou. She stared at him for a long moment, gaze suspicious, before it faded to defeat once again. Beginning to sit up, the Misaki took the proffered hand.

". . . thanks."
GM of Trespassers V2.

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #491 on: December 01, 2021, 07:20:12 am »

Right behind Setsurou are Rin and Todoroki. Rin quickly tends to Madoka's bruises with a light, warming Mahou.
"Okay, stay still. I'll make sure you're patched up, Horiuchi. Excuse me, Tsubouchi...."
There's something else Rin wants to say, but she holds it back for the moment.  Todoroki simply nods at her, having moved to help her but having been beaten there by Setsurou. Unlike Rin, he possessed no skill to heal, and so stands back.

Still, he does try to help her in his own way. He crosses his arms.
"You gave it your all, Madoka. You hit your limit for now. Next time, you'll break through."

Meanwhile, Hisao stares back at Miyako.
"Criticise? I respect her loyalty. And her courage."
He shakes his head.
"I gave my word. I failed Yu...the Empress once. I will not do it again. No matter how much I personally object to her actions. You wouldn't understand. This Curse, my oath....it binds me more than you could know. Perhaps Tsubouchi would."
He pauses.
  "But if you can end this madness and restore her to who she once was, then....."

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
Re: FEF: Chains of Horai IC Thread: Prologue: Yusuke Yamada Gains His Freedom
« Reply #492 on: December 01, 2021, 07:37:27 am »

Miyako considered Hisao's words on saving the Empress from her madness. She hadn't thought of it, since it was certainly out of her reach. But... it would be an acceptable resolution. Though a small part of her wanted revenge, forgiving the Empress wasn't out of the question. Especially if what Hiroyuki told her was true. She sighed.

"I wouldn't trust her to cooperate in that, but if it's possible... Well, she trusts you. You'll have to be the one to lead that pursuit, Hisao. And to do so, you'll have to sometimes do not what she orders, but what's good for her. What's right."
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #493 on: December 01, 2021, 09:35:48 am »

". . . thanks."

Setsurou nodded at first, not sure how to articulate his response as he helped her to her feet. But just as he was about to speak, Rengoku and Todoroki approached as well and started to tend to the rabbit Misaki, and both were better suited for it; he had no healing abilities, and Todoroki was her ally if not friend.

"...You're welcome."

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #494 on: December 01, 2021, 09:55:45 am »

Madoka made a small noise that was probably supposed to be grateful as Rin tended to her. When the warmth of the magic faded, she walked slowly to where her cloak had landed. Stooping to pick it up, she gave it a halfhearted shake, then concealed herself within once more.
". . . sure, I will. Maybe."
GM of Trespassers V2.
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 49