Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 31

Author Topic: (SG) Petty Kingdom of New Mahallo: Reign of King Arawn  (Read 20228 times)

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
Re: (SG) Petty Kingdom of New Mahallo: Celebration!
« Reply #285 on: August 20, 2021, 06:19:52 pm »

Why would my list of people to execute and foreclose upon have to have an end, just because it has an order?
This is an amazing villain quote and I'll grant it as a coherent strategy.

However, I don't think it's a wise strategy. Most of the power we want or have access to comes from awesome people liking us, and isn't really transferable or reproducible via aggressive consolidation.

If all you really mean to be arguing is that we should spend a little time - weeks, not months - getting to understand the political balance of the country before upending it, I do not think there is actually any substantive disagreement between the three of us. Certainly I did not interpret mightymushroom as saying, as you seem to have, that we need to behead them all by lunchtime tomorrow. However, we should start planning our upending immediately, and we should take opportunities to curtail their powers as they come, especially when those opportunities offer us plausible deniability. Your argument has given me and probably mightymushroom the impression that what you meant was "we should bide our time indefinitely in order to avoid upsetting the big scary bear" - in no small part because preliminary planning and information-gathering is exactly what we both want to do that you seem to be arguing against doing.
I admit I phrased this badly and should more precisely have said "will not lose power until they are acted upon". However, quite frankly, I do suspect they will continue to gain more power, since they seem to be shrewd operators. I do not in any way claim that they will grow in power at a constant rate or will never experience plateaus, and I don't know how to help you if you got that impression, since none of the actual words I wrote necessitate it. On the other hand, I do think that they are a growing cancer we need to deal with now rather than later, before people get too used to de'Ville rule - but "now" doesn't mean "yesterday", just "promptly as opportunities arise and without distraction". I'm not recommending going off half-cocked either, and I don't know why you and Powder both seem to think I am given that I've tried to be quite clear about plans being medium- to long-term.
The impression I got was that we needed to murder and replace our council as an immediate threat to our reign, which seemed to imply a high level of concern and haste. If you meant we should look into destroying the De'Villes the way PM wants to look into getting married, you probably should have clarified that as distinct from our current ponderings.

Likewise, my understanding is that the current votes for placing Andre as marshal are intended for immediate use, not weeks-later scheming.

It does, but it doesn't necessarily speak to ideas about how powerful kings should be within their realms, as opposed to ideas about how far those realms should stretch. I take it the opposite way you seem to - smaller realms are usually more centralized, and the very fact that a monarch controlling a lot of land is seen as dangerously powerful could imply that monarchs are expected to have substantial immediate control over their land.
I'll have to acknowledge being unsure about this one. I feel like actually managing a huge yet feasibly subdivided realm would require a fair bit of decentralization, but on the other hand the king needs either personal holdings or the ability to usurp said holdings in critical areas for the new kings to rule from.

I started to reply to this part, but then I stopped, because I realised we have totally different definitions of what we're talking about here. I'm not looking for an autocratic Tsardom (although I would call it a modern myth that such a centralized system is in some practical way inferior). What I want to know - and I'm not even saying anything about what I think the system IS, only that we don't have enough information yet - is whether this is a system where members of the court traditionally serve at the pleasure of the King, or vice versa. Both have existed in human history and several people, including you, are operating under the assumption that it's the latter.
I'm not just arguing against official Tsardom, but also the underlying philosophy and strategy of brutalizing rivals and targets of opportunity in order to enrich and protect ourselves.

I am likewise not arguing that we probably can't replace council members at will, but that doing so is likely to offend a major support base we currently enjoy. I've yet to hear of any system in human history where kicking somebody out of a position of importance and prestige isn't seen as a slight.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: August 20, 2021, 06:28:40 pm »

Those places were all completely different, though. The HRE isn't even really relevant since it wasn't a unitary state - the individual German states, which had different power structures among them, are more important to the question of monarchical primacy than the often-figurehead position of the Emperor, whose powers were circumscribed precisely because he was not the ruler of most of the land. Spain and Russia didn't even exist as such until the 16th century; the monarch's powers in Castille were not even the same as the monarch's powers in (the predecessor states) Leon or Asturias or Galicia, much less in Aragon.
You are absolutely correct with this observation, and that is exactly the point that I am making. Monarchies, even those with wildly differing power structures -even those going well into relatively modern eras- default to a balance between nobility and monarchy as an absolute monarchy is something that takes a lot of doing to accomplish. Russia is a striking case of this - I would myself probably term Catherine as the first proper absolute monarch in Russia - or at least maybe the one to approach it.

The point of listing these nations is to argue that you were not correct with the statement that balance between monarch and the nobility is specific only to Britain, and that it instead proves the rule rather than the exception. The wild variety of these various states backs this claim up.

If all you really mean to be arguing is that we should spend a little time - weeks, not months - getting to understand the political balance of the country before upending it, I do not think there is actually any substantive disagreement between the three of us. Certainly I did not interpret mightymushroom as saying, as you seem to have, that we need to behead them all by lunchtime tomorrow. However, we should start planning our upending immediately, and we should take opportunities to curtail their powers as they come, especially when those opportunities offer us plausible deniability. Your argument has given me and probably mightymushroom the impression that what you meant was "we should bide our time indefinitely in order to avoid upsetting the big scary bear" - in no small part because preliminary planning and information-gathering is exactly what we both want to do that you seem to be arguing against doing.
A significant movement exists to make drastic removals from the council this turn, which is not preliminary planning and information-gathering. That is what I am arguing against. I want to make these removals in two or three turns (possibly replacing or just making redundant the spymaster as soon as next turn, as we need a good spymaster to make that happen, but I want Kane and Kaylee to bring their list back to use). There is an extremely clear difference between removing the deVilles in 2-3 turns and removing them right now, mechanically - the actions we take in thread matter.

Fluffe9911

• Bay Watcher
  • Such ‼Socks‼ Much Fun
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: August 20, 2021, 07:28:34 pm »

Russia is a striking case of this - I would myself probably term Catherine as the first proper absolute monarch in Russia - or at least maybe the one to approach it.
On a related note here is a neat vid about Russian authoritarianism (and monarchy power structures in general to a degree) if your curious quiet a good watch https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8ZqBLcIvw0
« Last Edit: August 20, 2021, 07:32:50 pm by Fluffe9911 »

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: August 20, 2021, 07:37:09 pm »

You are absolutely correct with this observation, and that is exactly the point that I am making. Monarchies, even those with wildly differing power structures -even those going well into relatively modern eras- default to a balance between nobility and monarchy as an absolute monarchy is something that takes a lot of doing to accomplish. Russia is a striking case of this - I would myself probably term Catherine as the first proper absolute monarch in Russia - or at least maybe the one to approach it.

The point of listing these nations is to argue that you were not correct with the statement that balance between monarch and the nobility is specific only to Britain, and that it instead proves the rule rather than the exception. The wild variety of these various states backs this claim up.
I think we have been operating on totally different understandings of what we're discussing.

Yes, there is "a balance" between nobility and monarchy in any state with both nobility and monarchy. There are a lot of different potential balance positions, though, and the states you have mentioned all picked different ones. My interest is in which balance is being struck here. You did not say "a balance" before, though, you said
Monarchs depended on their vassals extensively to be able to administer their kingdom on even a basic level, and in many cases kings didn't even have real control of their supposed vassals. Politics in the golden age of the monarchy was overwhelmingly based around this balance between the king and the nobility - the king was every bit as beholden to the nobility as the other way around.
Which is certainly not universally true, and, I would argue, is not especially accurate for any medieval polity that did not have a Magna Carta. In fact, I think it's almost insane to say "politics in the golden age of the monarchy was overwhelmingly based around this balance between the king and the nobility", since the thing the power of the king was really being balanced against was generally the church, for example, in the region that is now Germany, or the region that is now Spain.

ETA: To sharpen the point and also get things back on the track of this thread, the key point in the balance of power that we want to know about right now is whether it's perfectly normal for a king to appoint friends and confidantes to vicegerent positions, or whether the occupiers of those positions expect to hold them as birthrights and would consider being replaced an abuse of power justifying rebellion. The answer to that question has varied among both European and other states, including the states you, Powder, listed before. It is not a certainty. I would like to know which custom pertains.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2021, 07:57:09 pm by Maximum Spin »

mightymushroom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: August 20, 2021, 08:08:29 pm »

It appears I have not communicated well, and I apologize for that.

Allow me to try again. I'm not going to dive into the related (and tangential) historical debate because I will get my butt kicked and I know it.

Currently I am voting to get rid of Horton De'Ville. This is colored by previous reports of his family's ambitions, yes, but the choice of a target is due entirely to his conduct during the council meeting. He insulted our mother, crassly pointed out that his father is rich rich rich and we aren't, and implied that the impoverishment and "breaking" of our Mahallo subjects would be a net gain for the kingdom. On the last point I have not detected any any desire to tolerate such biases, only a matter of timing to address them. Given Horton's manners, I believe now is a suitable time. I am not in a "rush," I am taking the opportunity at hand.

Currently I am voting to keep Mathias Deville in some position on the council, though not spymaster. Most likely steward in place of Horton by default. I don't recall if the other two De'Villes have been named yet, so I suppose I am willing to keep working with them until circumstance changes. The motivation to move Mathias away from spymaster is due in no small part that our attention has been drawn directly to choosing a new spymaster, rather than a new council as a whole. Leaving three DeVilles in place would mean not replacing the marshal, and in case it wasn't clear before -1 to Andre as Marshal. I don't believe Andre is a good candidate and I see no reason at all to push the De'Villes any farther than the Horton business. Thus leaving the family with a significant presence on the council but not in charge of (one of) our information gathering networks.

I am currently voting Kaylee as spymaster. She is part of our childhood circle, she has connections in the merchant families, and it is strongly implied that giving her a position keeps our friend Keanu nearby as well. It is also implied that this may be a limited time opportunity lest they depart to become travelling merchants and I frankly have no idea what our "turn" schedule looks like.
I want to make these removals in two or three turns (possibly replacing or just making redundant the spymaster as soon as next turn, as we need a good spymaster to make that happen, but I want Kane and Kaylee to bring their list back to use).
I find the bolded part interesting because I have difficulty imagining what or whom you might expect to find on that list that would be better than a known friend who already explicitly placed herself on that list. (And after arguing with me about inferring information for good choices from the lists of brides, though spymaster is perhaps less critical than wife.)

------

For completeness's sake I should say I am also voting Juliette for wife, however I am quite resigned to being outvoted on this one.
Queen Mother Anne as Lady of the Court (a role she is expected to concede to your eventual wife)
My own preferences to fill the role of mother of our children, council member, and someone I expect can take charge of things at home in the very likely event that we will be out campaigning on one thing or another are, in order: Juliette, Luanda, Kamea. None of these capable, workaday women are gaining any traction whatsoever in comparison to those with more powerful magic/destiny associated to them.

Halia at least sounds like a better adventuring / campaigning partner in comparison to Marion, who kinda just is. I feel sorry for Marion, but not enough to marry her.

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: August 20, 2021, 08:11:18 pm »

That was certainly a hugely important balance! But that focused primarily around matters such as investiture and what the basis of legitimacy was for a ruler, and NOT primarily around administration - churches did not at all perform the bulk of administration and rulership (after the Merovingians, anyway), and I think it's not accurate to portray this particular balance as the primary one, no matter how prominent it is in popular culture, because when it came down to it, the matters the church was involved in were separate from the matters of primary administration performed by the nobility - they were considered different estates (and this is not something unique to France) for a reason. The infrastructure (physical or bureaucratic) for a monarchy of any size to perform administration entirely on a central basis basically didn't exist until the modern period, and for that reason, nobility did the administration, with the exception of a few fields the church or burghers did have control over. Back then, as is it is now, any ruler's regime is defined by the mechanisms that allow them to rule - although the monarchy-church balance was defined first and foremost by putting the monarch into power (of course a greatly important aspect), the monarchy-nobility balance was defined by actually getting things done and STAYING in power, which is going to be more important most of the time.

I don't know why you're even mentioning the Magna Carta. It's not some sort of universal framework that a kingdom had to have - it's just one example of how one kingdom reformulated the privileges of its nobility in a way that would have a lot of important consequences down the line. Kingdoms in general had noble privileges that were put out in a variety of legal frameworks, and I don't see the Magna Carta as constituting anything but one particular position on the monarchy-nobility balance. It's not even the most extreme by any means - if you want to see a really batshit insane one, look at the Sejm.

(Also - this doesn't really have anything to do with birthright positions or even strict legal frameworks but rather political realities. If you're trying to blatantly shuffle the noble family that's just seized effective control of the kingdom out in one go, they might in fact be able to stop you, and will certainly WANT to.)

Mushroom: Somebody with training, basically
« Last Edit: August 20, 2021, 08:15:00 pm by Powder Miner »

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: August 20, 2021, 08:27:08 pm »

passim
Okay yeah it's clear that we're talking past each other. I'm just going to drop it for now. To give an example: I didn't "mention[] the Magna Carta", I used it as a synecdoche, which is why I said "a Magna Carta". Everything you said in that paragraph is not only known to me, but was essentially my point in even bringing it up. This clearly indicates highly incompatible rhetorical styles and possibly even epistemologies.

If you're trying to blatantly shuffle the noble family that's just seized effective control of the kingdom out in one go
I wasn't, I just want to know how often we can get away with removing one person and/or moving positions around. All anybody wants to do in one go, as far as I have seen, is get rid of the Steward.

My own preferences to fill the role of mother of our children, council member, and someone I expect can take charge of things at home in the very likely event that we will be out campaigning on one thing or another are, in order: Juliette, Luanda, Kamea. None of these capable, workaday women are gaining any traction whatsoever in comparison to those with more powerful magic/destiny associated to them.
I am extremely willing to support Kamea, although I'd like to know a little more about her, since she didn't really even get a list-blurb. Luanda is probably fine too. I do not think Juliette is a good choice for a young royal in our position.

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: August 20, 2021, 11:18:54 pm »

Maybe we should meet with the elder De'Ville and see if we can come to an understanding first?  Basically they align with a lot of our plans (improve economy, maintain imperial ties, build new army) and if we can have his chosen successor be someone with our interests in mind and willing to follow our lead on leaving the Mahalo culture alone and focus on building up rather then monopolistic taking, we can move in smoother.  Certainly better then suddenly firing a council member without talking to his family first.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: August 21, 2021, 04:59:28 am »

Sounds like getting rid of the Steward is the best thing for now, also I don't think any of the imperial brides are any thing we need.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

mightymushroom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: August 21, 2021, 12:35:29 pm »

Mushroom: Somebody with training, basically
So a resumé that lists a degree from Mahallo Merchant Spy U.?  :D

I jest ... but, yeah I think this points out the difference in our positions this round. You are justly cautious of what is unknown, but I cannot comfortably play the game with the same degree of weight given to the value of future information. Our point of dissent is hardly about the power of the De'Villes, present or future; it is about the power of Arawn, present AND future. You build up a scenario in which it is irrecoverably dangerous to act in this turn because Arawn has incomplete information. Then you write that you want to act as soon as 2-3 turns from now when you expect Arawn to be properly informed to navigate the minefield. I am unwilling to credit the decisiveness of what we may learn while waiting – in De'Villes, brides, or spies – to be so much greater than the information already at hand.

-----

I am extremely willing to support Kamea, although I'd like to know a little more about her, since she didn't really even get a list-blurb.
If you think you know a way to convince others, go for it. For my part, I believe myself and the rest of the thread are operating on such different points of value that repeating my arguments will only extend my frustration.

Re Juliette: I will say, Arawn turned down a canoe-ful of willing teenagers. Are you quite certain that he's not looking for someone more experienced?

-----

Maybe we should meet with the elder De'Ville and see if we can come to an understanding first?  Basically they align with a lot of our plans (improve economy, maintain imperial ties, build new army) and if we can have his chosen successor be someone with our interests in mind and willing to follow our lead on leaving the Mahalo culture alone and focus on building up rather then monopolistic taking, we can move in smoother.  Certainly better then suddenly firing a council member without talking to his family first.

It may be possible to pull this off.

I am not convinced that being handed a replacement De'Ville who is more diplomatic than Horton is a more positive outcome than demonstrating that we do not tolerate being bullied in a public meeting. Ideally Burt would be as wary of crossing Arawn as we are of him; I fear missing our roll on an appeal to him for direction leaves us at his mercy more than succeeding builds a respectful partnership.

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: August 21, 2021, 03:44:05 pm »

I’ll caveat that I don’t actually necessarily expect to be able to act completely as I’d like to in 2-3 turns, but we should at least be able to start making progress in shifting the balance of power to ourselves by that point. My goal here is to pure imperial influence and centralize under arawn - but to find a path of lesser resistance to do so.

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: August 22, 2021, 06:12:43 pm »

Alright. I go out and party on the Strip for a few days, and come back to this. Love the engagement, but yikes, that is alot. Anybody care to sort through and help me count votes for spouses/council replacements?

Incidentally, Weirdsound, what do these council positions all actually do? Are you working (as I kind of assumed) off the Crusader Kings standard? I assumed so because the choice of names for the positions is otherwise totally ahistorical and senseless, but I'm not willing to assume that they are identical.

Yeah. Vaguely crusader kings flavored. At some point I might do a non-turn update that is a deep dive on the mechanics of the state. We'll see.

Fluffe9911

• Bay Watcher
  • Such ‼Socks‼ Much Fun
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: August 22, 2021, 10:23:18 pm »

Oh boy lets see
Spoiler: Votes (click to show/hide)
Think I got it all although may of missed something if someone didnt bold what they wanted for some reason so feel free to double check if you wish.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2021, 11:46:57 am by Fluffe9911 »

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: August 23, 2021, 07:54:19 am »

I guess I never did actually bold waiting for Kane and Kaylee to come back with their list of spymaster candidates before making any changes.

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: August 23, 2021, 12:54:58 pm »

Proper updates likely resume tomorrow. For now, have this blurb on kingdom status and geography.

The Petty Kingdom of New Mahallo:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

(Note: <??????> = Unknown Value. Apparently putting 3 question marks together creates an emoji here.)
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 31