Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Humankind: Birth of Civilization  (Read 2366 times)

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
Re: Humankind: Birth of Civilization
« Reply #30 on: June 14, 2021, 11:05:08 am »

Come to think of it, I'm not entirely sure what constitutes an 'action' here. I assume we're only allowed to do one discrete thing? For example, we couldn't both start building shelters out of twigs AND start wearing furs at the same time?

Or as in Stirk's suggestion, can we begin building shelters and start catching fish at the same time?

Anyway, my suggestion is that we clad ourselves in furs for warmth, if the furs of the creatures here keep water off them, they can keep water off of us as well. Since the furs are small, we can make holes with our sharp rocks and run vines through them (or any other material that works) to hold them together. We should give the best furs to the strongest warriors who deserve it the most, then clad the weaklings who don't hunt once we have enough for everybody.

As for the same of our settlement, I don't think we can be more accurate than Pond Camp. But we may want to change the name later to commemorate the lives and deeds which take place here.

Quote from: Votebox
Action:
Build shelter + Fishing: (2) Stirk, King Zultan
Build Shelter + Fur Clothing: (1) Sensei

Name:
Pond Camp: (3) Stirk, King Zultan, Sensei

Edit: We can take 2 actions; I am stupid.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2021, 11:27:00 am by Sensei »
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 14, 2021, 06:10:35 pm »

Come to think of it, I'm not entirely sure what constitutes an 'action' here. I assume we're only allowed to do one discrete thing? For example, we couldn't both start building shelters out of twigs AND start wearing furs at the same time?

Or as in Stirk's suggestion, can we begin building shelters and start catching fish at the same time?

Anyway, my suggestion is that we clad ourselves in furs for warmth, if the furs of the creatures here keep water off them, they can keep water off of us as well. Since the furs are small, we can make holes with our sharp rocks and run vines through them (or any other material that works) to hold them together. We should give the best furs to the strongest warriors who deserve it the most, then clad the weaklings who don't hunt once we have enough for everybody.

As for the same of our settlement, I don't think we can be more accurate than Pond Camp. But we may want to change the name later to commemorate the lives and deeds which take place here.

Action:

Name:

That doesn't really solve the "Everyone is starving to death" problem. I suspect we are wearing clothing of some kind already.
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

Maxim_inc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 14, 2021, 08:58:43 pm »

Action:

Name:

That doesn't really solve the "Everyone is starving to death" problem. I suspect we are wearing clothing of some kind already.

Yeah you have basic pelt clothing, nothing sown or weaved from cloth. Your people understand the basic idea of "It gets colder so I'm gonna wrap more pelts around me" but as before the game here is quite small and has small pelts.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 15, 2021, 12:42:56 pm »

Now, since we're in a forest, and we're hungry, the smart thing to do might be to check out the local plants. But, that is for cowards, and at least fishing involves killing something.

Action:
Build shelter + Fishing: (3) Stirk, King Zultan, Sensei

Name:
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!

Screech9791

• Bay Watcher
  • quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 15, 2021, 02:18:55 pm »

Action:
Build shelter + Fishing: (4) Stirk, King Zultan, Sensei, 0cra_tr0per

Name:
Pond Camp: (4) Stirk, King Zultan, Sensei, 0cra_tr0per
[/quote]
it's over

Mercur

• Bay Watcher
  • Your average spheroid
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 15, 2021, 04:22:03 pm »

I think the solutions to the issues of the weather destroying our tents is try to make the tents more reinforced by adding stronger sticks to use as support, making the tents adhered to the ground and making less cases of crushed tents.

Maxim_inc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 16, 2021, 07:45:19 pm »

Action:
Build shelter + Fishing: (4) Stirk, King Zultan, Sensei, 0cra_tr0per

Name:
Pond Camp: (4) Stirk, King Zultan, Sensei, 0cra_tr0per
[/quote]

I'm gonna let the vote go for a few more hours and then start writing the post.

Maxim_inc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 18, 2021, 03:48:51 pm »

Chosen Actions: Built Shelter + Fishing

Constructing New Shelters

Discovered Simple Wattle!

One of the young Matrons in the tribe was the first to suggest the idea while watching her daughter play and twist twigs together around each other to make small twig figures. When constructing new tents before spreading the pelts and tying them down over the support poles they would take the long branches of the Greatwoods and weave them between the poles to construct a stronger base for the pelts. In practice a few problems occur since only newly fallen sticks can be used for constructing the Wattle Tents since the older dead ones tend to snap and break and the green branches on the trunk of the Greatwoods are too high up for any of the tribe members to reach without risking a potentially deadly climb. Some of the Elders grumble at the use of good firewood that could be used to keep them warm, after all the Greatwoods are so large that no single tribe member could hope to cut one down and the tribe must rely on fallen branches for fuel.

Attempting to Fish

Discovered Primitive Spear Fishing!

Ironically, it all started with a stubbed toe. One of the hunters was traveling down the river in an attempt to hunt one of the larger game animals drinking from the stream tripped and stubbed his unprotected toe on a jutting rock. In his rage and pain he threw his spear out into the river in shock. After recovering from his pain he hung his head in shame realizing he probably lost his spear and would have to make a new one, at least until he saw the end of its shaft poking out from the river water. Pulling it out with excitement on not losing his spear his face was full of surprise as a silvery fish was impaled on his spear! After a few more days of testing he realized if he threw his spear into the water where fish gather every once and a while a silvery and delicious fish would be pulled from the depths on the tip of a spear. Soon he spread this between the hunters and within days there were entire teams of spear fishers bringing home fish to be roasted in the communal fires. Though its odd as the fish seem to sometimes not be hit even if the spear is thrust directly into the water where they rest. Another observation is a large number of small finger sized critters that scuttle along the bottom of the river and the pond, these are ignored currently for the plentiful fish.

Spoiler: Roșcate Tribe (click to show/hide)

Hey guys, sorry for the wait I had some stuff come up back to back which prevented me from posting this in a timely matter.

Here is a rough guideline to follow to give you some ideas on what to do!
[] Build something
-[] what? (write in)
[] concentrate on Hunting food wise
[] Concentrate on Fishing food wise
[] Concentrate on Gathering food wise
[] Develop something
-[] what? (write in)
[] Explore Some place nearby, or in a particular direction. (write in exactly where)
[] Something Else (write in)

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 18, 2021, 05:15:11 pm »

First, celebrate.

For our first action, perhaps we should try to get better at cutting wood. I'm assuming there's at least some smaller trees mixed in with the greatwoods, so maybe we can make axes, saws, or improve on what we already have.

For our second action, since we're in a huge forest, we should learn more about the local plant life. We should look around and find out what plants can be eaten, or used as structure or fiber. I nominate Stirk for tasting mushrooms. If he eats a small piece and doesn't die, we can then eat bigger pieces.

Mercur

• Bay Watcher
  • Your average spheroid
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 18, 2021, 07:12:14 pm »

First, celebrate.

For our first action, perhaps we should try to get better at cutting wood. I'm assuming there's at least some smaller trees mixed in with the greatwoods, so maybe we can make axes, saws, or improve on what we already have.

For our second action, since we're in a huge forest, we should learn more about the local plant life. We should look around and find out what plants can be eaten, or used as structure or fiber. I nominate Stirk for tasting mushrooms. If he eats a small piece and doesn't die, we can then eat bigger pieces.

I agree, making tools that cuts down trees is the best way we could get more wood, that we could use to make better tents or even make new structures that could benefit society

Speaking of benefiting society, we could make better weapons to hunt down those thick skin animals that are so hard to kill, we could get more meat that way

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 18, 2021, 09:30:06 pm »

First, celebrate.

I mean I could try, but we really wouldn't be able to tell if any cause erratic behavior until someone else uses it.

Instead of focusing on the wood we should start with Bark Harvesting. We should be able to pull the bark off the trees with little effort, which we can use to make nets and other fiber things. If we can find other types of trees we should be able to make bark canoes. Thus our fishing industry will kick off. We can probably burn it too, but its more of a tinder thing.

For the second thing, I'll vote for Taming Dogs. This should let us increase our small animal harvest and pave the way for additional animal husbandry in the future, and give us an edge if any other tribes show up.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 19, 2021, 02:55:05 am »

Harvesting bark and finding out what local plants we can eat sound like the best ideas we have right now.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 19, 2021, 06:50:18 pm »

I think it's a little early to start taming. We need a definite surplus of food. We also, I think, don't really know much about animal varieties here.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 19, 2021, 07:35:56 pm »

I think it's a little early to start taming. We need a definite surplus of food. We also, I think, don't really know much about animal varieties here.

They should be able to eat the scraps we don’t want with no surplus food needed, and they should generate more food than they consume.

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 19, 2021, 10:04:52 pm »

Maybe our hunters can come up with simple traps for the fast animals?

Might want to wait till we have more rope and wood resources.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4