Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Humankind: Birth of Civilization  (Read 2349 times)

Maxim_inc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Humankind: Birth of Civilization
« on: June 11, 2021, 08:26:15 pm »

This is a game about managing a prehistoric tribe, the Roșcate, through history and transforming them into a modern society. We'll be keeping it simple, avoiding number hard crunching, and focusing on only the most important moments.

Our Story

The Roșcate. The Fire Haired Ones. Our Blood. Our Family.

Our family were the first to draw paintings on the cave walls and later the tent hides which tell the story of those who were born and died before us. They tell us of how our people, red haired like fired and filled with the same spirit as it, followed the big tusked beasts over the eastern mountains and into the valley we have lived in for the last ten generations, it tells of how this valley was full of life and rich game for meat and hides.

Our family are hunters of the valley, though we have not always been as such. Our ancestors were warrior hunters whose stone blades never went dull and blood was never allowed to dry upon it, they ruled over the eastern steppe before travelling over the mountains to our valley. The many generations in the valley left our people soft and the beasts thin. Hunters have returned back to the tribe with less and less game, and the game caught has been appearing thinner with less meat upon their bones. The last few years of hard winters have dwindled our tribe to barely more than two dozen in total and the lack of food has caused more younglings to be born without breath in them causing further grief and lack of new tribe members.

Our Dilemma

The Hunters, the strong men of the tribe who cut their hair short and braid their beards with tooth and claws from their hunts, argue that they can simply hunt farther and for longer to bring back more game. The more hotheaded of them argue to simply take food from neighboring tribes in the valley, this quickly turned down by the Matrons.

The Matrons, the eldest women of the tribe who have birthed many children and now spend their time keeping the camp together and teaching the children the skills they need to survive, argue that we should assimilate with the darker haired tribes who live in the valley with us or risk all dying out entirely or being conquered in turn. This proposal is turned down by the Hunters entirely.

Finally the Elders, those who’s red hair has turned grey with age, hearing the arguments of both parties decided the matter. The tribe could not simply wait in our current valley and simply stay here until we starve, we could not simply hunt more and kill off what little game remains entirely nor risk being wiped out trying to conquer a neighboring tribe. Pointing to the paintings which detail our ancestors' journey from their old lands to the valley, they argued that we should simply follow their example and move to a new and more vibrant land outside of the valley as our ancestors did. After another day of arguing this has been decided as the path we would take; but there was one simple question left, where to go?

Our Destiny

While we knew of many places we could travel too, none of us had any information on the land we were traveling too other than the stories of those with no tribe who wander across the many lands. It would be important to choose our, possibly permanent, migration location well as our small number and weakness means we would have to settle for at least a generation before having the strength, supplies and the number to move safely again. Finally we chose to travel-

North to the place where the cold winds blow and the hides are plentiful. There in the chilly hills stories tell of horned beasts with magnificent hides that can be hunted readily, though tales also say the land is gripped in an eternal winter which causes very few edible forage plants to grow and that for most of the year and for three moons out of every year it is plunged in an eternal midnight sun whose light is known to drive men mad.

West to where tales tell of a grand forest overlooking a massive body of water and of whose trees that grow tall enough that one can't see its top and have wood as red as our hair. Game is plentiful here but mostly in small animals which provide small pelts and little meat who feast on the large amount of ground plants which grown in the moist dark soil.

South to a sea of sand which the sun beats down every moment of the day. Where one is quick to die without water and neither game nor forage is readily available for man or beast. Tales tell though of a river that cuts through the sun blasted sands and floods yearly allowing for surrounding plants to flourish and bear food for forage.

East to where our ancestors came from across the great mountains and into the grand steppe. Our tribe has long lost any knowledge of what awaits us in the steppe and with our small size and meager food supplies there is no guarantee that we would all survive the journey.

After we had decided where to head we sent out a final hunting mission for meat to eat on the travel and afterwards broke down the tents which had been erected by our ancestors and made our way to a new far away place, a land which would become our destiny.

Hello there traveler! I bring you to a place before history, before writing and before agriculture. Here we focus on the tribe of the Roșcate in the very dawn of agriculture and the beginning of civilization when hunter-gatherer tribes such as the Roșcate who due to overexploitation are being forced to leave their ancestral home and travel farther than any of them have ever been before to find a new land to settle! This is a game I have wanted to run after reading and participating in similar ones on other forums. I know I am in the middle of also running the Great War Arms Race but recently I have had way too much time on my hands and I intend for this to be more of a casual game than one needing to be watched over at all times of the day.

Da Rules and Regulations

So, let me start this off by saying you can't "discover" things instantly. Nor can you jump from say early copper casting to iron smelting by the next turn. You discover things on a generational sense with each turn taking 1 generation of time or roughly 20-50 years time depending on the actions taken. Each turn you can take 2 separate actions at once by proposing and voting on them. These actions can constitute anything from ordering your warriors to lead a raid or beginning the development of a new agriculture. Even the founding a religion, religion will come into play with its own rules as it evolves alongside the tribe.

Let us discuss population and food, both will be measured loosely to prevent the need for hours of micro management from both you the players and myself. Measured in numbers such as "You have a few dozen tribe members and barely enough food." and similar descriptions. You will gain food through actions such as hunting and the eventual discovery of agriculture by your people. You can always find a way to improve your income of food. Your food availability increases your population as well.

For example if you have grain fields you can improve your irrigation methods for increased yield or build granaries to store more food. You could also try to develop fishing practices to augment your diet that way and increase your consumption of food.

Currently your tribe has a number of stats affecting it:

Spoiler: Roșcate Tribe (click to show/hide)

The Situation

Currently, you need to vote on where you will travel. Once you reach your chosen land you will need to choose where in the land to settle. Afterwards the game may begin proper and a map of the local area will be provided to you. The map will only encompass the nearby area to the village as the average villager can walk before needing to return by sundown. As your tribe expands and explores the map will slowly grow to show the surrounding area, until the invention of writing and paper far away areas not explored regularly will slowly be forgotten by the tribe unless a settlement is made there.

Here is a link to the discord!

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
Re: Humankind: Birth of Civilization
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2021, 08:51:26 pm »

We should go West. The food supply is most secure here, and while we may not have quality pelts we have enough wood to make fires to replace their warmth.
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2021, 08:54:45 pm »

A big lake also could mean good fishing and a river at some point to explore along.  Probably more other tribes but if we can find some way to coexist earlier the better.

West

Kilojoule Proton

• Bay Watcher
  • µ
    • View Profile
    • YG toolbox
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2021, 08:54:52 pm »

We should go West. The food supply is most secure here, and while we may not have quality pelts we have enough wood to make fires to replace their warmth.
+1. Go west, young tribe, go west!

b28b 84f2 b6e5 6f86 b10b c99b 8d9a 8530 54dc 2c8c d3b2 0e8e 36d4 9949 d87e d12b

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2021, 08:58:23 pm »

A big lake also could mean good fishing and a river at some point to explore along.  Probably more other tribes but if we can find some way to coexist earlier the better.

West

You misspelled "conquer"

Maxim_inc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2021, 08:59:53 pm »

West

You misspelled "conquer"

Hecking heck

Knightwing64

• Bay Watcher
  • The Most Handsome Bay12 Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2021, 09:01:21 pm »

West

Maxim_inc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2021, 09:02:10 pm »

By the way, the discord is open for people to come and chat about things as well as to have more direct conversation on important things. Or to share examples of real life advancements with each other!

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2021, 09:02:32 pm »

Listen guys- the intro says that the land we're in now, is running out of food. But there's like, other tribes here? How do we know it's not their fault? In fact since our tribe is now so small, it's most certainly the other tribes who ate all the food, and are responsible for our current predicament. Screw those guys.

Most secure food supply? Sounds like someone might be scared of starving. Yeah, that's a good place to go if we want our tribe to be weak.

West
What, and share with other tribes? Nah, if we go to the south, we can have the river down there all to ourselves. Like, what, you just wanna let other dudes walk all over our turf?

Psh, two people post and you just wanna follow. But instead you should follow me, because I know what we need to do to be the strongest tribe.

Go south, to claim the river for ourselves! Any who want to share our food source can be repelled and forced to perish in the sands!
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2021, 09:08:23 pm »

Listen guys- the intro says that the land we're in now, is running out of food. But there's like, other tribes here? How do we know it's not their fault? In fact since our tribe is now so small, it's most certainly the other tribes who ate all the food, and are responsible for our current predicament. Screw those guys.

Most secure food supply? Sounds like someone might be scared of starving. Yeah, that's a good place to go if we want our tribe to be weak.

West
What, and share with other tribes? Nah, if we go to the south, we can have the river down there all to ourselves. Like, what, you just wanna let other dudes walk all over our turf?

Psh, two people post and you just wanna follow. But instead you should follow me, because I know what we need to do to be the strongest tribe.

Go south, to claim the river for ourselves! Any who want to share our food source can be repelled and forced to perish in the sands!

The River doesn't even real. Who is even telling those tales? That is right, the other tribes. Or our ancestors. Both of these, to your own admission, have ruined every land they came across with their gluttony. If it was real at one point they probably drank it.

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2021, 09:13:14 pm »

A desert is a good place to find shiny things though.  And he who can make pretty jewelry can start a trade empire, hmm.

I am torn on west or south.

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2021, 09:15:09 pm »

The north will make us strong!
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2021, 09:29:49 pm »

The River doesn't even real. Who is even telling those tales? That is right, the other tribes. Or our ancestors. Both of these, to your own admission, have ruined every land they came across with their gluttony. If it was real at one point they probably drank it.
Bah! You have no sense of adventure.

A desert is a good place to find shiny things though.  And he who can make pretty jewelry can start a trade empire, hmm.

I am torn on west or south.
Wise! You will be wiser if you choose to go south.

The north will make us strong!
I do not think the frozen lands will be as bounteous, but this one has the right spirit.

Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Maxim_inc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2021, 09:34:25 pm »

Since counting votes is kinda hard, let me help you guys and myself with a handy dandy votebox!

Quote from: votebox
North (1): Superdorf
South (1): Sensei
East (0):
West (4): Stirk, Voidslayer, Knightwing64, Kilojoule Proton

Since its later in the day I'll probably let this vote run for a while in case new people pop in unless an even clearer majority rears it head

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2021, 10:44:49 pm »

I would rather be in Utah than Portland, but I think Alberta could be even better. North.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4