Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 49

Author Topic: MATRIX6- Magic Tric Newbie Mafia 4/9 [Eruption: Fallacy of Logic- Hackers Win]  (Read 49899 times)

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: MATRIX6- Magic Tric Newbie Mafia 9/9 [Day 1: Hackers Among Us]
« Reply #45 on: June 25, 2021, 06:25:55 pm »

And again, how confirm?  Get shot and live?  Would the villainly mafia team be so stupidly helpful?

I admit, I like the idea of catching mafia in a counterclaim scenario.  But with the matrix, I think they can still claim another power role.  It's a two-part system, right?

@Tric: Please confirm what Matrix6 means.  Can rows and columns be both selected?
Newbie my @$$
Only a row or a column. Not both. I set up a link in the OP.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 25, 2021, 06:27:26 pm »

Ok, so apparently I'm replacing Tric as the one who doesn't read the rules and makes mistakes.  Thanks Tric for clarifying!  ;D

So bulletproof does indeed either tie up a mafia player to that power role, or clears one player as town.  Not a bad strategy.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 25, 2021, 06:30:46 pm »

@Jack:
This setup is Matrix6. It's a 9 player game with 2 mafia and 7 town. The possible setups are:

Row 1 - Town Jailkeeper with 6 Vanilla Townies / 2 Mafia Goons
Row 2 - Town Cop and Town Doctor with 5 Vanilla Townies / Mafia Roleblocker and Mafia Goon
Row 3 - 1-shot Bulletproof Townie and Town Tracker with 5 Vanilla Townies / 2 Mafia Goons
Column A - Town Jailkeeper and 1-shot Bulletproof Townie with 5 Vanilla Townies / Mafia Roleblocker and Mafia Goon
Column B - Town Cop with 6 Vanilla Townies / 2 Mafia Goons
Column C - Town Doctor and Town Tracker with 5 Vanilla Townies / 2 Mafia Goons

The Mafia Roleblocker is allowed to perform the nightkill and roleblock on the same night.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 25, 2021, 06:33:27 pm »

@Toony:
And again, how confirm?  Get shot and live?  Would the villainly mafia team be so stupidly helpful?

I admit, I like the idea of catching mafia in a counterclaim scenario.  But with the matrix, I think they can still claim another power role.  It's a two-part system, right?

@Tric: Please confirm what Matrix6 means.  Can rows and columns be both selected?
Newbie my @$$
Only a row or a column. Not both. I set up a link in the OP.

Yeah, I got it

Magma Mater

• Bay Watcher
  • Stray Cat cancels hunt vermin: seeking infant.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 25, 2021, 07:53:22 pm »

@EuchreJack:
How much should a player post? Is it alignment indicative? (in other words, does it reveal whether a player is more likely town or mafia?)

A player that can not post once a day should consider asking for replacement.  Real life can certainly crimp our styles, but the game needs posts!

Player post count is, in my opinion, alignment indicative.
Lots of posting helps Town and hurts Mafia.  Every time the mafia player posts, they risk giving themselves away.  Every time the town player posts, they give evidence that can potentially show their Towniness.  Although I've certainly tested the limits of this, I think Town players should post as much as they can!
I agree with this, to an extent. I think that we have to be careful about targeting some of the quieter players just because they're quiet.
For example (I'm assuming this translates to the forum format as well), I have a friend I play with who is almost always dead quiet. As a result, they're almost always a candidate for elimination later on. What I've noticed is that the wolves like to keep this person around, and push them on one of the final days if it'll get them the win. In general, I think going for the quiet person is a really easy push to make because nobody can debate the fact that they've been quiet. Usually a wolf can just say, "Well I think everyone else is town," which is easy for them because they know everyone else is town.
I'm not saying that we should ignore quiet players, but I definitely do not think it's a reliable reason to wolf-read somebody, and I encourage other townies to look further than "they're quiet" when trying to root out the wolves.

@Magma Mater: What is your experience on these boards?  Why are you in a Newbie game if you "have a decent amount of experience"?
I have a couple dozen posts on these boards, but none in the mafia subforum. I haven't been active at all for the past decade, just popping in to lurk here and there whenever my DF obsession is rekindled.
I think your latter question is a bit moot, so I'll answer it with another question: what other games are in signups? I saw the robot game but wasn't really interested due to the setup.

Magma Mater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 25, 2021, 08:01:00 pm »

1. How much mafia experience would you say that you have?
2. Do you consider yourself good at the game?
3. What's your preference, town or wolf?
4. How would you describe your playstyle?
1. Eh... Maybe like 10+ years or so. Idk.
2. I'm decent. I am fairly intuitive, I can pick Town out from a mile away with a sniper rifle.
3. Depends. Town is always easier because you get more teammates, but scum is also fun because it is more skill-based. Or not, I dunno, whatever, lemons and such.
4. Inflamed Appendix.

Would you say that you put more effort in as a wolf than as town? That's what you seem to be trying to say.
If you're an inflamed appendix, should we be removing you from the game?  :P What exactly do you mean by this?

Roden

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 25, 2021, 08:35:22 pm »

It's a good point actually. The bulletproof townie would be able to confirm themselves as town and the mafia would have to spend two nights to get rid of one town. If the mafia counter-claim then they're trading half their team for one townie.
Yep, basically this. If they don't focus down the BP, then all they do is bring a confirmed townie to endgame, which they really can't afford to do unless they're confident they can win a 50/50 vote. This also in effect allows the second power role to better narrow down suspects. A Tracker knows they catch scum if their night action comes up positive, and a Jailkeeper can either protect obvious night kill targets or block off someone they suspect to be mafia to stop a night kill. And both know they never have to target the BP.

Also, a BP trying to draw in a night kill doesn't actually help much anyway unless a Jailer also stops a kill. Eliminate-or-lose isn't affected by one blocked kill.

Yo, nice to meet you, they/them.  My name's from Marathon: The paladin who wielded Durandal but with a seven.
Hey there, I'll keep your pronouns in mind. My name just comes from an old OC I made over a decade ago.

Magma Mater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 25, 2021, 08:40:18 pm »

4. Chaotic. I typically get scum read because of this, but I partially do this to draw out mafia who want an easy mis elim. But I also do this so people have a harder time reading me for meta tells from past games. Despite this I'm actually kinda sensitive to getting scum read lol, but I only ever seem to get scum read over random comments I make rather than my actions. I want to try to find out why this is.
Interesting, but I feel like chaotic play is a good way to "catch" townies as well. A lot of people don't play to win, and just play to survive or try to get killed at night! In fact, I believe the most common style of play is "it's important to win, but it's even more important to not be blamed for a loss". This applies more or less to any amateur competitive team activity. In mafia, it sometimes manifests itself as an "anybody but me" mentality - that's how I played when I first started, anyway.

I mostly agree. I think the Bulletproof townie should step forward though if they exist.
I don't agree with this, for a few reasons:
It tells the wolves which power roles exist. Information is power, and knowing which roles exist would help them with their targets immensely. For example, if they know there is no doctor or jailkeeper, they can freely target someone who might otherwise be considered a likely protection magnet. This is even worse if we have a tracker who is forced to claim... without the possibility of a doctor, the wolves can happily eat the tracker, whereas otherwise it'd be a bit risky!
Even worse, if we all agree that a bulletproof should claim, but there is no claim, AND the wolves have a roleblocker, well suddenly the wolves know the exact setup and we haven't gained anything.
Also, the argument that the bulletproof would require two nights to kill is not totally valid. It does require two nights to kill, yes, but if there are an even number of players at night and the other power role is dead, then what do the wolves lose by trying to kill the bulletproof? It would bring us to even numbers the next day, which is not really advantageous for us.

I will add a corollary: if there is a roleblocker and we manage to kill it day one, we should all claim on day two to get two or three confirmed town, and ride that to an easy win.

Magma Mater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 25, 2021, 08:41:40 pm »

It's a good point actually. The bulletproof townie would be able to confirm themselves as town and the mafia would have to spend two nights to get rid of one town. If the mafia counter-claim then they're trading half their team for one townie.
I feel like you should know better than to think that spending two nights to kill the BP would be a disadvantage for the wolves.

Magma Mater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 25, 2021, 08:45:18 pm »

Huh?  ???
The mafia could just ignore the bulletproof townie entirely.  I fail to see the advantage.  Better to have Mafia waste a bullet.
This is a good point as well, particularly if the bulletproof is someone whose reads have been inaccurate, the wolves might be more than happy to keep that person alive.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 25, 2021, 09:19:50 pm »

There's pros or cons either way so it's up to the BP townie if they exist.

I wouldn't blame them for whatever choice they make since I think either decision could be advantageous.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 25, 2021, 09:24:48 pm »

No votes yet...I'm going to vote Prefuzek for some pressure. Who are you going to keep an eye on in this game?

Roden

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 25, 2021, 10:24:14 pm »

4. Chaotic. I typically get scum read because of this, but I partially do this to draw out mafia who want an easy mis elim. But I also do this so people have a harder time reading me for meta tells from past games. Despite this I'm actually kinda sensitive to getting scum read lol, but I only ever seem to get scum read over random comments I make rather than my actions. I want to try to find out why this is.
Interesting, but I feel like chaotic play is a good way to "catch" townies as well. A lot of people don't play to win, and just play to survive or try to get killed at night! In fact, I believe the most common style of play is "it's important to win, but it's even more important to not be blamed for a loss". This applies more or less to any amateur competitive team activity. In mafia, it sometimes manifests itself as an "anybody but me" mentality - that's how I played when I first started, anyway.
I feel like it depends tbh. It doesn't mean much if someone thinks I'm mafia, but if someone uses anti-town methods to try to get me or slips something they shouldn't have said, then I'm a lot more confident I've caught mafia. Not really something I'm going to try here though since I've already stated this playstyle.

I mostly agree. I think the Bulletproof townie should step forward though if they exist.
I don't agree with this, for a few reasons:
It tells the wolves which power roles exist. Information is power, and knowing which roles exist would help them with their targets immensely. For example, if they know there is no doctor or jailkeeper, they can freely target someone who might otherwise be considered a likely protection magnet. This is even worse if we have a tracker who is forced to claim... without the possibility of a doctor, the wolves can happily eat the tracker, whereas otherwise it'd be a bit risky!
Even worse, if we all agree that a bulletproof should claim, but there is no claim, AND the wolves have a roleblocker, well suddenly the wolves know the exact setup and we haven't gained anything.
Also, the argument that the bulletproof would require two nights to kill is not totally valid. It does require two nights to kill, yes, but if there are an even number of players at night and the other power role is dead, then what do the wolves lose by trying to kill the bulletproof? It would bring us to even numbers the next day, which is not really advantageous for us.

I will add a corollary: if there is a roleblocker and we manage to kill it day one, we should all claim on day two to get two or three confirmed town, and ride that to an easy win.
I think mafia would be more worried about a BP not existing, tbh. If a BP doesn't exist and we have an outed Tracker like in your hypothetical situation, then that means we have a Doctor and no Roleblocker. Doctor then protects the Tracker in secret and we're pretty much set to win. It's not quite follow the cop, but it's a safer alternative since Doctor + Cop does have a Roleblocker.

BluarianKnight

• Bay Watcher
  • Gimme a soul, sailor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 25, 2021, 10:37:32 pm »

Woo, more mafia!
Gimme a bit, just got onto the board after a long day.. so let's  see.
A beautiful lesbian trans lass, I'll punch ya dork.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 25, 2021, 10:53:15 pm »

If a BP doesn't exist and we have an outed Tracker like in your hypothetical situation, then that means we have a Doctor and no Roleblocker. Doctor then protects the Tracker in secret and we're pretty much set to win. It's not quite follow the cop, but it's a safer alternative since Doctor + Cop does have a Roleblocker.
I like this idea a lot. It's a bit game-y, but hey the wiki acknowledges it's not a perfect strategy either.

I'm not a one-shot Bulletproof Townie.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 49