Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 49

Author Topic: MATRIX6- Magic Tric Newbie Mafia 4/9 [Eruption: Fallacy of Logic- Hackers Win]  (Read 49671 times)

Magma Mater

• Bay Watcher
  • Stray Cat cancels hunt vermin: seeking infant.
    • View Profile
Re: MATRIX6- Magic Tric Newbie Mafia 9/9 [Day 1: Hackers Among Us]
« Reply #60 on: June 25, 2021, 11:09:44 pm »

Quote from: Roden
I think mafia would be more worried about a BP not existing, tbh. If a BP doesn't exist and we have an outed Tracker like in your hypothetical situation, then that means we have a Doctor and no Roleblocker. Doctor then protects the Tracker in secret and we're pretty much set to win. It's not quite follow the cop, but it's a safer alternative since Doctor + Cop does have a Roleblocker.
That's the point I'm making. It's kind of like the concept of a Fleet-in-being... in simple terms, ensuring that your opponent doesn't know where your power lies gives you a massive strategic advantage because they have to act as if the worst-case-scenario is true. In our hypothetical scenario where a tracker has claimed, it makes no difference whether the wolves know that there is a doctor or not. They are forced to act as if the doctor is protecting the tracker.

hedgerow

• Bay Watcher
  • You're Thunderclappin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 26, 2021, 09:36:25 am »

EuchreJack.

I'd say the BP is irrelevant.  The hackers are going to win you over with flirtatious misinformation and forked reasoning.  We should eliminate anyone who buys into the townie-killing narrative, first.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 26, 2021, 11:12:21 am »

11:11 Votecount

() BluarianKnight
(1) EuchreJack- hedgrow
(1) prefuzek - Toonyman
() Magma Mater
() webadict
() hedgerow
() Roden.
() Rolan7
() ToonyMan[Veteran Player]

7 not voting. 5 to lynch.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 26, 2021, 11:24:50 am »

1. How much mafia experience would you say that you have?
2. Do you consider yourself good at the game?
3. What's your preference, town or wolf?
4. How would you describe your playstyle?
1. Eh... Maybe like 10+ years or so. Idk.
2. I'm decent. I am fairly intuitive, I can pick Town out from a mile away with a sniper rifle.
3. Depends. Town is always easier because you get more teammates, but scum is also fun because it is more skill-based. Or not, I dunno, whatever, lemons and such.
4. Inflamed Appendix.

Would you say that you put more effort in as a wolf than as town? That's what you seem to be trying to say.
If you're an inflamed appendix, should we be removing you from the game?  :P What exactly do you mean by this?
I put as much effort in as any alignment as I'm feeling, and honestly, I'm not really feeling like much, which is pretty unfortunate, but that's just how it is sometimes. Also, that was the subtext behind that statement, if only because I feel like I won't be contributing much this game, but that's also maybe a negative reinforcing statement, and a poor reflection on my normal play, and I kinda want to ask for a replacement, but I also think maybe I'll get better or nightkilled eventually and then I can sit back and let everyone else play.

Hm, I dunno. I haven't even really read anyone. I'd say "except ToonyMan," but my initial thoughts are Town-enough, and then I couldn't muster the energy for anything else.

prefuzek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 26, 2021, 12:49:16 pm »

I might not be super active the next couple of days but I'll try.

Magma Mater
I played a bunch of games here many years ago, but I don't think I was very good back then. I've played a few games here lately and I think I'm better now but I still feel pretty inexperienced with forum mafia (I've played tons of hidden-role games in person). I'm happy when I'm a wolf because it's rarer. I'm a pretty calm and methodical player and don't do anything too unexpected usually.

What have you learned from the answers you have so far? Are you suspicious of anyone yet?

ToonyMan
No votes yet...I'm going to vote Prefuzek for some pressure. Who are you going to keep an eye on in this game?
I always like to keep a pretty steady eye on the experienced players. Also, for now, EuchreJack. The brand new players shouldn't be too hard to read. What do you think of all this setup discussion on D1?

EuchreJack, why are you focused on looking town and not on finding mafia?

hedgerow, how do you know what the hackers are going to do? Isn't it a little early for a policy lynch, especially in a beginner game?

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 26, 2021, 01:58:46 pm »

5. webadict

9. ToonyMan[Veteran Player]

LMAO. Stay classy, /bay/.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 26, 2021, 03:19:28 pm »

EuchreJack.

I'd say the BP is irrelevant.  The hackers are going to win you over with flirtatious misinformation and forked reasoning.  We should eliminate anyone who buys into the townie-killing narrative, first.

hedgerow

First post is to vote someone without sufficient explanation as to why you are voting that person.  Hey, it's almost like you're mafia trying to form a bandwagon on a townie!  Ergo, my vote.  See how I explained myself?  Care to do the same?

Also, what does "We should eliminate anyone who buys into the townie-killing narrative" mean?  Mafia IS going to kill us during the night stage.

I might not be super active the next couple of days but I'll try.

Magma Mater
I played a bunch of games here many years ago, but I don't think I was very good back then. I've played a few games here lately and I think I'm better now but I still feel pretty inexperienced with forum mafia (I've played tons of hidden-role games in person). I'm happy when I'm a wolf because it's rarer. I'm a pretty calm and methodical player and don't do anything too unexpected usually.

What have you learned from the answers you have so far? Are you suspicious of anyone yet?

ToonyMan
No votes yet...I'm going to vote Prefuzek for some pressure. Who are you going to keep an eye on in this game?
I always like to keep a pretty steady eye on the experienced players. Also, for now, EuchreJack. The brand new players shouldn't be too hard to read. What do you think of all this setup discussion on D1?

EuchreJack, why are you focused on looking town and not on finding mafia?

hedgerow, how do you know what the hackers are going to do? Isn't it a little early for a policy lynch, especially in a beginner game?

Fair point and fair vote prefuzek.  Using my words from our last game against me, bonus null points.  I guess I should stop being lazy and start posting reads, but I'm getting so many null reads it kinda seems pointless.  Except hedgerow, the scumdar is going off there.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 26, 2021, 03:23:43 pm »

@EuchreJack:
How much should a player post? Is it alignment indicative? (in other words, does it reveal whether a player is more likely town or mafia?)

A player that can not post once a day should consider asking for replacement.  Real life can certainly crimp our styles, but the game needs posts!

Player post count is, in my opinion, alignment indicative.
Lots of posting helps Town and hurts Mafia.  Every time the mafia player posts, they risk giving themselves away.  Every time the town player posts, they give evidence that can potentially show their Towniness.  Although I've certainly tested the limits of this, I think Town players should post as much as they can!
I agree with this, to an extent. I think that we have to be careful about targeting some of the quieter players just because they're quiet.
For example (I'm assuming this translates to the forum format as well), I have a friend I play with who is almost always dead quiet. As a result, they're almost always a candidate for elimination later on. What I've noticed is that the wolves like to keep this person around, and push them on one of the final days if it'll get them the win. In general, I think going for the quiet person is a really easy push to make because nobody can debate the fact that they've been quiet. Usually a wolf can just say, "Well I think everyone else is town," which is easy for them because they know everyone else is town.
I'm not saying that we should ignore quiet players, but I definitely do not think it's a reliable reason to wolf-read somebody, and I encourage other townies to look further than "they're quiet" when trying to root out the wolves.

@Magma Mater: What is your experience on these boards?  Why are you in a Newbie game if you "have a decent amount of experience"?
I have a couple dozen posts on these boards, but none in the mafia subforum. I haven't been active at all for the past decade, just popping in to lurk here and there whenever my DF obsession is rekindled.
I think your latter question is a bit moot, so I'll answer it with another question: what other games are in signups? I saw the robot game but wasn't really interested due to the setup.

I assume that is sort of an answer to the "why are you in a newbie game".
Build Your Own Game - Delayed but still alive! [6/7+] is recruiting.  Please tell me that I won't have to do your reading for you all game long...

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 26, 2021, 03:25:39 pm »

Also, I generally regard laziness as a scum tell, and will try not to blame others for accusing me on similar grounds.

Yes, I know this is unfair, but scum do in fact use claims of laziness, work, exhaustion, etc.  And they're sometimes just doing it to avoid outing themselves as scum.

Ergo, it is a tell.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 26, 2021, 03:39:23 pm »

Read list:

Confirmed Town: EuchreJack - Let me see, yup still town
Slightly town: prefuzek - scumhunting and calling me out for not doing enough of it

Null team:
Roden.
Rolan7
Magma Mater
webadict
ToonyMan[Veteran Player]

Scum team:
BluarianKnight - Blue is always scum
hedgerow - Awaiting a response that might convince me they're not scum

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 26, 2021, 03:46:51 pm »

What do you think of all this setup discussion on D1?
It's fine. It shouldn't be the main focus though.

Scum team:
Are you serious? Bluarian is scum because they always roll scum? hedgerow is scum for voting you without good enough reasons even though it's the start of the game?

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 26, 2021, 03:48:43 pm »

@Jack:
Why is Pref voting you a towntell, but not hedgerow? I fail to see the difference.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 26, 2021, 04:15:35 pm »

@Jack:
Why is Pref voting you a towntell, but not hedgerow? I fail to see the difference.

Pref has a good reason for voting me, hedgerow did not, as far as I can tell.  I'm certainly open to hearing hedgerow's explanation.

Might be giving Pref a bit too much credit.  But didn't I say "slightly"?

Also, I intentionally put you at the bottom of my null list.

And its my read list, I can do whatever I want with it.  Where's your read list Toonyman?

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 26, 2021, 04:34:02 pm »

Pref has a good reason for voting me
So it's true you're focusing on trying to look town and not find mafia?

Where's your read list Toonyman?

BluarianKnight

• Bay Watcher
  • Gimme a soul, sailor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 26, 2021, 04:38:45 pm »

Magma Mater

1. Most of my experience is on these forums - so with roughly close to ten games under my belt - albeit I have far more experience as mafia than town.
2. Fuck no.
3. Weirdly enough, mafia - albeit that doesn't mean I want to be it all the time.
4. Reserved until I get a trail - I like to lay back, wait for picking breadcrumbs from other players, then push players I get suspicious of. That's usually why I don't post much the first hours of the game.

Magma Mater - would you prefer a doctor or a bullet-proof in this setup?

Euchrejack
Read list:

Confirmed Town: EuchreJack - Let me see, yup still town
Slightly town: prefuzek - scumhunting and calling me out for not doing enough of it

Null team:
Roden.
Rolan7
Magma Mater
webadict
ToonyMan[Veteran Player]

Scum team:

First off - I feel like this is far from a readlist. At best you've confirmed yourself and another player as town on your list (the equal number of a mafia-team) while avoiding and leans downward. No comment on any of the other players past scum team.

You put me on here just because of my luck;

Quote from: EuchreJack link=topic=178609.msg8290220#msg8290220 date=1624654455
[b
@Blue:[/b] Did you roll scum again?

This doesn't make me feel better about assumptions - you asked then smacked me on, which means you're reaching.
Don't know why yet, but.. I dunno. Poor readlist, just confusing.
It does have one good point on it though.

Hedgerow:
EuchreJack.

Your first post is a vote against Euchre, why?

As well, your narrative of 'eliminate anyone who buys into townie-killing narrative' is.. first off, confusing - I'm maybe misreading but I don't know what that means, but second, it's aggressive. It feels like you want to put someone on the chopping block for any reason you can muster.

Newbie town can hunt, but full-out 'vote whoever' is a mafia tell, at least for me. I'm willing to remove my vote if you prove me wrong, and give me a reason/explanation.

A quick list of reads;

I like Magma Meter's plays - no aggression, decent questions for a first start. I get town vibes.
Toony is Toony - god as my witness, I still can't read them to save my life. Mentor role might make them seem more town then worth, but for now town for me.
Pref's hunting is pretty good in my eyes - townlean.

I don't like hedgerow's quick aggression - want to see something from him to prove me wrong. Scum most likely for now.
Euchre rubs me wrong - tiny scumlean.

Null for everyone else!

i don't know. Can't do much else, everyone else null for now, Open and ready to deal with anything.
Problems or otherwise - blue's down to do some mafia.
A beautiful lesbian trans lass, I'll punch ya dork.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 49