Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 107 108 [109] 110 111 ... 116

Author Topic: Magnum Opus: Welcome Home.  (Read 131302 times)

Fire and Glory

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Magnum Opus: Welcome Home.
« Reply #1620 on: May 17, 2022, 08:55:12 pm »

Did we ever find out why teh artisan was digging in ant territory? Like, what it's specific task and goal were?
(Yea.)
The artisan spells out that it needs to "Create a new crystalline lattice for the redirection of leyline current to planetary stabilizer number 280."
(We'll have to see what the ants think of that.)

fatcat__25

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes apple trees for their fruit.
    • View Profile
Re: Magnum Opus: Welcome Home
« Reply #1621 on: May 18, 2022, 05:00:53 pm »

"That is huge!"

Aaron accepts Hugh's offer of help up onto the giant ant, not being tall enough to easily climb up himself. He then attempts to know what caste of ant the giant is.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Fort is running at 21 FPS, the ground is having a panic attack in places, and what looks like a conga line of zombified Hungry Heads has formed on (I think) Z-level 32 of the caverns.
I love dwarven status reports.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #1622 on: May 24, 2022, 10:33:34 pm »

Everyone climbs onto the back of the giant ant. Its not exactly a comfortable seat: its too wide to straddle but not wide enough that they're not constantly fighting to stay on. The Ant's curved abdomen makes the most stable position to lay face down, spread eagle, clinging to it. This makes sight seeing somewhat difficult as they advance back into the tunnel the ant apparently bored to get here. Not that there's much to see: the ant skitters rapidly through glowing crystal tunnels like an organic subway train, with the biggest points of interest being branching tunnels that whiz past every so often.  The group half expected some sort of gigantic ant city or maybe a huge cathedral of crystal or...something different. Instead they get a very ant-like series of rough tunnels and paths until finally the ant takes a sharp turn into a connecting room and skids to a stop. Sitting in this room, attended to by hundreds of other ants of varying sizes, is an ant of even greater size. Its as large as a small building and seems almost trapped in this room considering its girth. Its got a massive pair of mandibles  that make up most of its head and its crystalline body is particularly sharp and brutal looking.

"Patriarch Lud, Ruler of the Blue Burrows, slayer of the Twin Tyrant...uh...it goes on like that for a while." Debby says to the group, translating what the little ant is telling her.  "Basically, he's who we have to talk to."

The rest of the team nods and then waits for Debby to do it. Debby looks back at them for a while before sighing and starting to talk with Patriarch Lud. She occasionally stops to whisper back a translation and update as Lud drones like an underwater church bell.

"He says that this place is under his protection and that his dynasty is the one that carved the tunnels and grew the crystals guiding the leyline and...Well its a lot of posturing mostly. He says we can get access to the area and do the work if we...Kill a rival of his. Another Patriach." She glances back at Lud. "I dunno if thats really something we should do."

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1623 on: May 25, 2022, 03:53:49 am »

"So guys do we kill the rival hive or do we find another way?"
While other people figure out what we should do I'll ask Lud what their mission from the magi was and why they want their rival killed.
Spoiler: Needle Links (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 30, 2022, 04:35:46 am by King Zultan »
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #1624 on: May 25, 2022, 09:46:51 pm »

" Isee no reason to agree to such a thing. Our purpose is to protect the mundane from the chaos of unregulated magic, not to interfere in internal politics. This has nothing to do with us."

Ask the artisan again, explicitly, what he needs access to the ant cave to do, and why it matters.

Spoiler: Genesis (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: links (click to show/hide)

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1625 on: May 26, 2022, 01:49:58 am »

We are servants of the Magi.  I don’t think we should be doing anything like that without their blessing…”, Hugh remarks, his usual jovial demeanor replaced by concern and apprehension.

Spoiler: Hugh (click to show/hide)

Really hoping somebody puts this in their signature.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1626 on: May 26, 2022, 03:52:18 am »

"Glad I'm not the only one who didn't want to fight these ants war for them."
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.

Fire and Glory

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1627 on: May 26, 2022, 01:47:48 pm »

Grey asks the Artisan if the ants would notice if it made its crystalline lattice without their knowing.

Spoiler: Grey (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Needle links (click to show/hide)

fatcat__25

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes apple trees for their fruit.
    • View Profile
Re: Magnum Opus: Welcome Home
« Reply #1628 on: May 26, 2022, 08:54:41 pm »

"This seems like the sort of conflict that should be settled by the Magi. I wish I could find out who's problem this should be, but whenever I try, I get nothing but noise. Also, wouldn't killing an ant patriarch interfere with their kind's purpose?"

Aaron attempts to know what local or global consequences there would be if the Artisan had to wait to carry out its project.

Fort is running at 21 FPS, the ground is having a panic attack in places, and what looks like a conga line of zombified Hungry Heads has formed on (I think) Z-level 32 of the caverns.
I love dwarven status reports.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #1629 on: May 26, 2022, 10:44:24 pm »

"Their purpose probably doesn't depend on any one patriarch or clan or whatever. If they've got the attention and antpower to spare for internal rivalries and wars, either they are losing sight of their purpose, or their goals are stable on a big enough scale that a few murders and whatnot won't affect it much. Either way, I see no reason to force one agenda over another here.

I suppose we may as well continue investigating though. We are the Investigation Corps, after all. Learning the truth behind things is kinda our thing.

As fopr the will of the Magi, well, they didn't even send us down here. They are probably not all that interested. It seems to me as if both magical forces here are operating as normal, and neither has become a threat to mundanes or anything, so the Magi are probably satisfied to leave it alone unless someone starts tinkering with the ley lines and causing serious contamination."

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1630 on: May 27, 2022, 10:33:11 am »

"Yeah... I'm also a fan of just staying out of this."
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1631 on: May 30, 2022, 02:53:08 am »

Why does he want his rival killed?”, Hugh asks Debbie.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1632 on: May 30, 2022, 04:37:04 am »

"Almost forgot to ask that."

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1633 on: May 31, 2022, 12:55:26 am »

"Almost forgot to ask that."
Ho! Ho! Ho!  …And what was the reply?…

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #1634 on: June 11, 2022, 06:49:12 pm »

"So guys do we kill the rival hive or do we find another way?"
While other people figure out what we should do I'll ask Lud what their mission from the magi was and why they want their rival killed.
Lud, through Debby, gives a very long and complex explanation. You believe that what he is saying is that the Ants, not just him but all of them, are here to maintain the Leyline system which provides magical power to various installations around the world. There are many different schools of thought as to how this is best done, which gives birth to many families or houses which seek to enact their methods. His rival is apparently the patriarch of a different house which killed many of his vassals. But more importantly, they have the idiotic belief that the Leyline would be best redirected using a hexagonal configuration instead of the clearly superior octagonal configuration.

" Isee no reason to agree to such a thing. Our purpose is to protect the mundane from the chaos of unregulated magic, not to interfere in internal politics. This has nothing to do with us."

Ask the artisan again, explicitly, what he needs access to the ant cave to do, and why it matters.

Spoiler: Genesis (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: links (click to show/hide)
The Artisan spells out that it needs to set up a new magical redirection node to provide power to a new installation. Part of the Planetary navigation grid. But the ants are preventing him from getting to the correct place and beginning the node construction. They keep carrying his parts away.

Grey asks the Artisan if the ants would notice if it made its crystalline lattice without their knowing.

Spoiler: Grey (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Needle links (click to show/hide)
The artisan states that it attempted to do its work without informing the ants. They apparently swarm all through the stone and in the leyline area. Avoiding their notice is quite difficult.

"This seems like the sort of conflict that should be settled by the Magi. I wish I could find out who's problem this should be, but whenever I try, I get nothing but noise. Also, wouldn't killing an ant patriarch interfere with their kind's purpose?"

Aaron attempts to know what local or global consequences there would be if the Artisan had to wait to carry out its project.

[?]
Hmmmm....probably the entire world will fly into the sun.

Pages: 1 ... 107 108 [109] 110 111 ... 116