Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 85 86 [87] 88 89 ... 116

Author Topic: Magnum Opus: Welcome Home.  (Read 132127 times)

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
Re: Magnum Opus: Screaming Silence
« Reply #1290 on: December 03, 2021, 08:33:48 am »

"We don't work for them, nor for payment. If Sabiline wants payment, he has other avenues for it than through us. Why are you so greedy over pointless baubles?"

fatcat__25

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes apple trees for their fruit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1291 on: December 03, 2021, 01:36:21 pm »

"Plus nothing there looks very valuable or even useful to us. My view is if they are dead, have some respect, and if not, they might want their stuff back."
Fort is running at 21 FPS, the ground is having a panic attack in places, and what looks like a conga line of zombified Hungry Heads has formed on (I think) Z-level 32 of the caverns.
I love dwarven status reports.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1292 on: December 04, 2021, 05:00:02 am »

"I highly doubt they'd carry anything pointless in there bags this far out, also we might be able to use some of it like maps or even a journal that says what they were out here doing like pissing on ancient alters or stealing sacred artifacts and causing the entire thing or it could at least have some info that's relevant."
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #1293 on: December 04, 2021, 05:09:55 am »

"Yes, that information would be useful to us."

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1294 on: December 04, 2021, 03:09:53 pm »

((Is Aaron going to answer Hugh’s question?))
Really hoping somebody puts this in their signature.

fatcat__25

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1295 on: December 04, 2021, 03:55:34 pm »

((Look at my action. :) ))
Fort is running at 21 FPS, the ground is having a panic attack in places, and what looks like a conga line of zombified Hungry Heads has formed on (I think) Z-level 32 of the caverns.

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1296 on: December 04, 2021, 04:50:16 pm »

((Ouch!  Who put that wall there?!))
Really hoping somebody puts this in their signature.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #1297 on: December 06, 2021, 03:48:36 pm »

"Looks like one of the guys that got grabbed."
Grey reclaims his glove from Genesis.

He also places a spell on his needle, Maintain the health and well being of Grey and every Homunculous that is allied with Grey and is within 2 miles of him.

What kind of wound did Genesis find when examining Grey's eye?

Grey looks around the area for signs of someone getting dragged into the forest.

Spoiler: Grey (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Needle links (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: link web (click to show/hide)

Glove Reclaimed.

[1] You put a [1] version of that spell in your needle. Uh oh.

Genesis found no wounds, least none that he could see. The eye is blood red, leaking some blood from the tear ducts apparently, but has no holes or other damage.  Your vision through that eye is still blurry and red though.

[4]
You check around the area, looking for signs of a struggle. There are snapped branches here, tumbled rocks there, a scuff on the pack, odd patterns in the dirt and about a half dozen other signs. From the clues you can make out that something seems to have come up this ridge from below and pounced on the traveler.  However, if they dragged them off they did so the exact same way they came as you can see no particular signs of a person being dragged away.

"My knowledge tells me that the being behind this magic was, like us, created for a purpose. That purpose was to wage ancient and terrible wars. I wonder if something stirred it into building an army after all these years."

Aaron carefully looks through his needle at the rock, boulder, hill, and woods, making sure not to directly look at any signs of magic he might see, and attempts to know how the traveler was attacked. If he has an answer, he tells Hugh

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

[6][?]
You scan the area. Woods around you? Nothing different. Hill? Nah. Rocks? No. Boulder, na...wait.  The blood on the boulder is showing something. You look at it without the needle and then with it. With the needle it looks like there's a fine layer of black moss or mold growing on it.

You consider the traveler.  They were definitely attacked by one of those pumpkin things. Multiple probably. Ambushed as they walked down this path, because of the shade created by the boulder. The traveler, the old woman the townspeople had talked about, was pushed down, scraping herself as she fell. However, the pumpkins did not drag her away or kill her. Instead one of them...put itself in her. Not the pumpkin itself, but whatever twisted animating magic controlled it.

"It's not like we haven't dealt with this kind of thing before. Hmph. As much as our missions involve breaking things, you'd think we were part of the destroy corps instead of the investigation corps. Well, I guess someone has to act on whatever we find out, and we're already here. Leave the destroy corps for the really dangerous stuff."

Since we waited for daybreak and all, can we assume I fetched my glove from the gourd? If so, I'd like to reswap with Grey so I have my original pair on me for now - for the sake of keeping track of them.

Either way, while Genesis waits for the team to investigate and decide where to go next, he'll sit and ponder lunch. He'll try various things like reaching into his sleeves to find food from the cavern (besides the ceramic loaf), and covering himself with his robe and hood to see if he can access the cavern's kitchen while on mission.

Spoiler: Genesis (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: links (click to show/hide)

Sure

None of these things work it seems. Hmmmmm.

"Since these people are probably dead I doubt they'll give a shit if I dig through their bags."
Dig through the backpacks and see what kinds of crap these people had.
Spoiler: Needle Links (click to show/hide)
After Genesis' needle pointed command to not mess things up to much, you begin emptying the pack very carefully. You set things in little piles and make sure not to lose anything. You remember the last time Genesis didn't like the way someone was handling another person's possessions.

The pack contains the goods of an ordinary life. Plates, bowls, silverware, clothing, sewing needles, thread, twine, fabric, a few books, medicine in small glass bottles, what looks like a homemade first aid kit, bed roll, pillow, and more like this. No secret treasures, aside from a small amount of money.

"Thank you. That... went a lot better than I was afraid of."

When we come across the dropped pack and blood
I fly up and see what is around us from above.

[5]
What you can see right now is the tops of a bunch of trees. By the naked eye almost nothing of consequence can be seen other than the vague lay of the land via the heights of the trees.  You notice that there are what look like repeated depressions or divots in the land. From what you can see beyond the forest this is true as well. The earth around here is pot marked with depressions.

Ho! Ho! Ho!  I guess it knows we’re here!”, Hugh says as he drops any disguise he was using.  “Aa!  Come here!  I need my glove back and you need your’s back!  Ho! Ho! Ho!”.  Hugh then unswaps gloves with Aa.

Hugh then turns to Debby.  “Ho! Ho! Ho!  The owner of that backpack may not be dead!  Until we know for sure, it’s best we just pack up their loose stuff into it, and stuff it up one of our sleeves.  That way, we’ll have it for them when we see them!

Finally he turns to Aaron.  “Ho! Ho! Ho!  What do your cognizant senses tell you about what happened here?

Hugh waits for Aaron’s answer, needle at the ready in case of an attack.

Spoiler: Hugh (click to show/hide)

Talking! Waiting! Being ready to murder!

fatcat__25

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1298 on: December 07, 2021, 02:34:43 am »

"It seems the monsters attacked the traveler, and one of them transferred it's animating magic into her. The blood on the rock shows this. It has a faint trace of the black slimy magic.

Aaron attempts to pick up the magic in the blood with his needle.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #1299 on: December 07, 2021, 03:58:25 am »

"I thought they might be abducting and possessing people. So we have that to look forward to. If a possessed human attacks us, try not to hurt them if possible. If you can push hte magic out of them we can probably rescue them. Debby, if you are done with those things, I'll store them in my sleeve

Store the contents of the pack, and the pack, in my sleeve. Don't complain if one or two small items go missing, but if anyone gets greedy, do complain. With pointed looks. Heh heh. get it? pointed? Because of the needle? Also, I am dropping my links with Bob and Flame since they have been inactive for so long.

Look for a hand sized rock. Do the thing where I sew a glove onto it so that the glove stays on but doesn't merge with the rock. Tehn imbue the rock with the animating magic from my needle with the intent of having the animating magic try to return home. If this works as intended, I'll have a homing Roomba with a spy cam strapped prominently to it's top. If it does work somehow, follow the rock. If hte rock attacks instead, tap it with the needle to remove the magic again.

Spoiler: Genesis (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: links (click to show/hide)

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1300 on: December 07, 2021, 04:29:28 am »

"Kind of strange they didn't bring a map with them all the way out here, and there's a first aid kit in here and I think we might need to use some of it's contents on Grey's eye since it's still bleeding, also does anyone mind if I take one of the sewing needles I need it for something I'm gonna try to do when we get back to base."
Look at the books and see what they're about and what the medicine is, then give the bag and it's contents to Genesis.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2021, 05:09:59 am by King Zultan »
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #1301 on: December 07, 2021, 05:01:46 am »

"Go ahead. I doubt she'd begrudge you one. Hey, don't put them in the bag, I won't be able to fit it in my sleeve that way."

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1302 on: December 07, 2021, 05:23:12 am »

"Sorry forgot that's how we were moving it."

(Updated action and sheet.)

Fire and Glory

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1303 on: December 07, 2021, 07:20:29 am »

"Possession makes sense, I can't find any evidence of someone being dragged out of here unconscious or against their will."

"Kind of strange they didn't bring a map with them all the way out here, and there's a first aid kit in here and I think we might need to use some of it's contents on Grey's eye since it's still bleeding, also does anyone mind if I take one of the sewing needles I need it for something I'm gonna try to do when we get back to base."
"So far there's only one path, likely they had directions or know the terrain. I'm going to to say no to the idea of doing surgery on my face by the way."

"When we get moving again I'm going to get some distance from the group. I need to discharge some hazardous magic and I don't want any of you in range when it goes off. I'll catch up by teleporting when I'm done or if any of you get attacked."

Grey grabs a glance at the books out of curiosity but is otherwise uninterested in the backpack's contents.

If Genesis can't get his rock to cooperate, Grey suggests the group keep heading along on the path, so long as we're still heading east.

Grey wants to be far away from here and Hugh has offered to teleport him, so he'll cooperate with whatever Hugh does.
If Hugh can't manage a teleport, then once the group gets moving Grey will start heading the way back we came, seeking to get at least 2 miles away from everyone else. 1 hour of walking should be plenty.

Once at a safe distance from the group, Grey casts a spell on himself: Maintain the magic (or lack of magic) currently permeating Grey's body. No other spell shall enter him. If this spell fails completely then ignore everything that follows. We’re not in a hurry.

Grey then prepares to release the magic inside his needle: Maintain the health and well being of Grey and every Homunculous that is allied with Grey and is within 2 miles of him (1). Before he does, he warns those that he's linked with to be ready to shove the magic out of each other with their gloves if it affects them, just in case. After that he lets loose the spell.

All goes well and Grey is still alive, he teleports back to his Homunculi friends afterwards.

Spoiler: Grey (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Needle links (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: link web (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: December 09, 2021, 09:14:04 am by Fire and Glory »

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #1304 on: December 07, 2021, 08:33:23 am »

"Sorry forgot that's how we were moving it."
"I only remembered it'd be too big because of that shark back in the cavern."

""When we get moving again I'm going to get some distance from the group. I need to discharge some hazardous magic and I don't want any of you in range when it goes off. I'll catch up by teleporting when I'm done or if any of you get attacked."
'Don't get yourself killed. If it doesn't work out, we have other ways to discharge magic that might be safer, mostly."
Pages: 1 ... 85 86 [87] 88 89 ... 116