Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 78 79 [80] 81 82 ... 116

Author Topic: Magnum Opus: Welcome Home.  (Read 132281 times)

fatcat__25

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes apple trees for their fruit.
    • View Profile
Re: Magnum Opus: Shadowed Woods
« Reply #1185 on: October 29, 2021, 07:11:51 pm »

"That might be fine, except we really don't know where it is anymore. I was busy figuring out where it came from, at the moment."
Fort is running at 21 FPS, the ground is having a panic attack in places, and what looks like a conga line of zombified Hungry Heads has formed on (I think) Z-level 32 of the caverns.
I love dwarven status reports.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I want to be your blahaj.
    • View Profile
Re: Magnum Opus: Screaming Silence
« Reply #1186 on: October 29, 2021, 07:20:38 pm »

"Can't that information wait? If you gave us coordinates we could apprehend this thing immediately."

fatcat__25

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes apple trees for their fruit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1187 on: October 29, 2021, 08:14:27 pm »

"Fair enough. I'll do that. Someone else can gather a group."

(I'll change my action to reflect this.)
Fort is running at 21 FPS, the ground is having a panic attack in places, and what looks like a conga line of zombified Hungry Heads has formed on (I think) Z-level 32 of the caverns.
I love dwarven status reports.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1188 on: October 30, 2021, 02:17:09 am »

”Or maybe a firefly, if any are around. I last saw the creature at that cornfield. I’ll join you there shortly, I’m just going to see if I can stop it in its tracks first.”
"Okay I'll see you over there."

Go to the area Grey saw the creature and start asking the corn, fireflies, buildings, scarecrows, and whatever else is around if it knows what the creature is and where it went.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Needle Links (click to show/hide)
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1189 on: October 30, 2021, 07:37:58 pm »

”Or maybe a firefly, if any are around. I last saw the creature at that cornfield. I’ll join you there shortly, I’m just going to see if I can stop it in its tracks first.”

Go to the area Grey saw the creature and start asking the corn, fireflies, buildings, scarecrows, and whatever else is around if it knows what the creature is and where it went.

((Now, this is what I don’t get.  Logically, Aaron could get the location of the creature, and Hugh could teleport there carrying two people (with a third on his back) before Debby was even a quarter of the way to the cornfield.  But… because Aaron and Hugh need two turns to do their thing, while Debby needs only one…))
Really hoping somebody puts this in their signature.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1190 on: October 30, 2021, 07:55:17 pm »

((Just make you action to teleport to the location Aaron says. No need for two turns.))

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1191 on: October 30, 2021, 08:10:27 pm »

Ho! Ho! Ho!”, Hugh laughs as he transforms back and pulls out his needle.  “Who’s with me?”, Hugh asks, seeking two other people to go with him and Aa.  Hugh asks Aa to climb on his back and do what she did the first time she and Hugh teleported, when he teleports this time.  Then, he picks up the volunteers (or two random humonculi, if no one volunteers) under his arms and asks Aaron where the creature is located, and then eats the distance between himself and that location.

Spoiler: Hugh (click to show/hide)

Fire and Glory

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1192 on: October 30, 2021, 08:35:32 pm »

”I don’t like to be too close to that kind of magic. If your efforts go well I’ll join you using my needle.”

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1193 on: October 30, 2021, 08:58:22 pm »

Aa briefly considers mentioning that doing the same thing again would probably cause some property damage to the inn, even if all goes right.

But she doesn't really care all that much about that. More food!

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
Re: Magnum Opus: Hungry
« Reply #1194 on: November 02, 2021, 04:55:44 pm »

Hm, odd. It’s likely too late to catch the thing, but it’s nearly morning anyways and I believe it was mentioned that homunculi (or Hugh at least) don’t need much sleep. Grey goes around waking the others up, mentioning that he saw a Thing heading for the woods.

Once everyone is getting upright, Grey points out where he saw the creature to Debby, and then reaches out an arm towards the window and Maintains the Thing’s current position. Not that he can see it, or even knows what it is or where it is by now, but maybe we can find it after the magic takes hold.

Regardless of if the magic takes or not, Grey heads down to the cornfield where he last saw the thing.

Grey refuses any efforts by Hugh to bring Grey on his space-warping adventure, the results will be spectacular if anything goes wrong.

Spoiler: Grey (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Needle links (click to show/hide)
[6]
You point out at the distant field and shout MAINTAIN! The gentle swaying of the cornstalks suddenly halts in a large section of the field.  You look at the field for another moment before jogging around to each bed and rousing your teammates.

Being asleep, I guess I'm asleep until / unless Grey wakes us.

Gray shakes you awake before moving on to the next teammate.

Ho! Ho! Ho!”, Hugh laughs as he transforms back and pulls out his needle.  “Who’s with me?”, Hugh asks, seeking two other people to go with him and Aa.  Hugh asks Aa to climb on his back and do what she did the first time she and Hugh teleported, when he teleports this time.  Then, he picks up the volunteers (or two random humonculi, if no one volunteers) under his arms and asks Aaron where the creature is located, and then eats the distance between himself and that location.

Spoiler: Hugh (click to show/hide)

Aaron seeks to know where exactly this thing is right now, and what it was trying to do.

(Also, did my action get noticed from last turn and just fail, I wonder?)

Spoiler: aa (click to show/hide)

Dream happy Glutton dreams. Try eating dreamstuff.

Or get woken up. That works too. *grumble*

Prepared to do a Dumb Glutton Trick with Hugh in order to catch the perp.

[2]
Hugh grabs Aa, Debby, and Aaron and waddles up to the window. As the other homunculi squirm under his arms he attempts to take a big old bite out of the distance between himself and the field. He does manage to sink his teeth into the distance but only manages to grind a few inches forward.  After a long moment he sheepishly sets the other Homunculi down and shrugs. Together, the four of them head out to the field on foot.

REmove disguise, go knock on doors. See if any more villagers are missing or if anything else is out of place. Scan the buildings and villagers with my needle.

Spoiler: Genesis (click to show/hide)
[/spoiler]
[5] You remove your disguise and start working your way around town, heading in the direction of the field while knocking on doors and searching for anything out of place. You can't check every home, but you check plenty and send the residents out to check others on their own. The initial reports as you reach the field are that nothing is out of place and there's no signs of any untoward magic floating around. The last person you grab is the owner of the field. He follows you out as you join the rest of the group.

Everyone eventually makes their way across town and over to the field, gathering at the gate as the farmer opens it.  Most of the field sways in the gentle breeze, save for a chunk which is standing noticeably still. Attempts to gaze within the frozen section prove impossible: The magic Maintaining the state of that chunk of field is obscuring anything else within: its like trying to stare through sunlit clouds. Once the group gets into the field Genesis shoves his way over to the maintained section and finds the still stalks of corn are about as hard and unyielding as iron bars: getting through them as they are is effectively impossible.  Gray busies himself talking to the various objects and creatures nearby [3] Their responses are unfortunately lack luster. About all he can glean is that its organic, alive, and "Acting abnormally".  Gray does, however, note that the direction he saw it coming from isn't from a field of corn, but from a field of gourds. He wanders over and finds the field erratically torn up, with patches of pumpkins, squash, and bottle gourds missing. 

Fire and Glory

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1195 on: November 02, 2021, 10:47:35 pm »

(Grey is multi-talented I see)

Grey admires the shredded field of gourds.

”It really tore through here huh?”

He turns to the group.

“Alright, I believe I have captured the creature inside that field of corn, however I can’t let us through there without also releasing the creature, so we’ll want some kind of strategy. Does anyone have some magical tricks for catching it?”

Grey, seeing that everyone has surrounded the maintained corn and is prepared, pulls out his rifle and bayonet and takes up his own position around the perimeter.

As an afterthought he calls out: "We are Homunculi of the Investigation Corps! Agents of the Magi! Surrender peacefully or face the consequences!" and with that he drops his maintaining of the corn. Immediately afterwards he attempts to Maintain the creature's position once more, without affecting the corn. If the creature tries to escape by running past him, Grey cuts its legs/appendages with his bayonet.

Spoiler: Grey (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Needle links (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: November 04, 2021, 12:38:10 am by Fire and Glory »

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Magnum Opus: Hungry
« Reply #1196 on: November 02, 2021, 11:05:59 pm »

Spoiler: aa (click to show/hide)

"Bite off its limbs so that it can't get away?"

Assume part of a perimeter around the Maintained zone, ready to wreak violence upon the thing within. Assuming we actually caught it.

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1197 on: November 02, 2021, 11:07:50 pm »

Ho! Ho! Ho!  Tricks… tricks…”, Hugh scratches his head…

Well, I could try eating it’s ability to escape.  Don’t know if it’ll work though.  I did, after all, try to teleport here by eating the distance between here and the inn, but ended up barely moving…”, Hugh replies, frowning as he does so…

Fire and Glory

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1198 on: November 03, 2021, 12:30:30 am »

"Bite off its limbs so that it can't get away?"
Well, I could try eating it’s ability to escape.
Grey has a feeling these two suggestions are in fact the same thing.

"Sounds like a solid backup plan if it starts to slip away, I might be able to catch it in a smaller net before it has a chance to do anything but there's no guarantee it'll work."

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1199 on: November 03, 2021, 01:59:25 am »

"I could ask the corn to tangle up and grab or at least trip the guy."

Take a position on the perimeter to try and ask the corn to tangle itself around the guy in there, if that fails just try to stop the thing with violence if it gets out.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2021, 02:02:38 am by King Zultan »
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?
Pages: 1 ... 78 79 [80] 81 82 ... 116