Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 76 77 [78] 79 80 ... 116

Author Topic: Magnum Opus: Welcome Home.  (Read 132275 times)

fatcat__25

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes apple trees for their fruit.
    • View Profile
Re: Magnum Opus: Shadowed Woods
« Reply #1155 on: October 25, 2021, 04:57:14 pm »

(I suppose it can't hurt to be extra cautious, so that seems fine. I doubt the source of trouble is something that just jumps out willy-nilly and grabs things, or makes itself readily obvious, though.)
Fort is running at 21 FPS, the ground is having a panic attack in places, and what looks like a conga line of zombified Hungry Heads has formed on (I think) Z-level 32 of the caverns.
I love dwarven status reports.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I want to be your blahaj.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1156 on: October 25, 2021, 05:02:33 pm »

((PW will probably surprise us with exactly what's going on. Still, more anomalous magical bullshit is harder to specifically counter specifically than roving hunters other than slowly advancing and scanning with the needles... which is an approach which would give us away if it does happen to be roving beasts or a cult or something. And since the element of surprise of more useful against a thinking enemy than against some kind of lingering magic, I'd prefer to do the sneaky thing first and if we determine it's not that, shift focus onto scanning.))

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1157 on: October 25, 2021, 05:31:21 pm »

((Looks like I’m going to need to edit my post…

Btw, you’ll need to link to everyone before we start out in the morning.  That is, unless you actually intend to walk in the forest until you find danger, walk back to the group and link needles, walk back to where the danger is, and then have everyone teleport in…))

Edit:

((Alright, how’s this?))
« Last Edit: October 25, 2021, 05:40:11 pm by A_Curious_Cat »
Really hoping somebody puts this in their signature.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1158 on: October 25, 2021, 05:40:10 pm »

((Yes, that'd be why my action says to link to whoever will agree to it?))

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1159 on: October 25, 2021, 05:42:28 pm »

((Yes, that'd be why my action says to link to whoever will agree to it?))

((I just edited my last post to include a link to the post with my action so you can go over it, but you seem to have ninja’d me.  I’d still like to get feedback on it if I can…))

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1160 on: October 25, 2021, 06:10:44 pm »

((It seems good. Sometimes it's good to put some linebreaks into your boldtext so that it's easier for the GM to digest it and separate the different thoughts.))

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1161 on: October 25, 2021, 08:14:14 pm »

((It seems good. Sometimes it's good to put some linebreaks into your boldtext so that it's easier for the GM to digest it and separate the different thoughts.))

((Do I need to put the line breaks after every letter, or can I just put them after every word?))

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1162 on: October 25, 2021, 08:20:35 pm »

((I'd say use your own judgement in that respect.))

fatcat__25

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes apple trees for their fruit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1163 on: October 25, 2021, 10:09:30 pm »

(I am willing to be linked with.)
Fort is running at 21 FPS, the ground is having a panic attack in places, and what looks like a conga line of zombified Hungry Heads has formed on (I think) Z-level 32 of the caverns.
I love dwarven status reports.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1164 on: October 25, 2021, 10:26:13 pm »

((Okay then, pick a color which isn't already in use by either of us and add that to your action.
This web should still be current: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=178529.msg8323630#msg8323630 ))

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1165 on: October 25, 2021, 10:33:07 pm »

((Okay then, pick a color which isn't already in use by either of us and add that to your action.
This web should still be current: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=178529.msg8323630#msg8323630 ))

((If it help, fatcat, the only possible colors left for a link between Aa and Aaron are blue and indigo.))

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
Re: Magnum Opus: ...a leaden crown upon the head of glory...
« Reply #1166 on: October 28, 2021, 04:18:53 pm »

Reach up and clonk Hugh on the back of the head with the handle of my needle.
"We're all right here, you walnut. You don't need to yell into your needle."I am going to assume that everyone shares their results.
"Well, I'm going. In the morning, that is. For now, let's sleep. But let's set up a watch rotation as well, two homunculi per shift. Four shifts. I'll take first shift."

request sleeping arrangements for the group. take In the morning, assuming no nightly shenanigans, go along the path in the direction of the disappearances. Check through the eye of my needle as I go to look for hints of magic. Keep my ears open for weirdnesses like unnatural stillness or sounds that don't belong.
Edit: also do the "look like a villager" bit. put my needle in my robe sleeve. Go up front with Aa.
Edit Edit: swap a glove with grey, for keeping track of each other.

Spoiler: Genesis (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Current link web (click to show/hide)
[5]
The town has a small inn where travelers along the road used to stay. Its obviously seen a heck of a decline in patronage lately so they're glad to welcome you and the rest of the Homunculi in.

You find a random villager, an old man, and duplicate both his clothing and appearance.

Glove swaps performed.

Ouch!”, Hugh responds, rubbing the back of his head.

Hugh then points the eye of his needle towards the link to Aa, “Aa… come back here.  If I remember correctly, you’re only linked to me.  If that’s so, I’m the only one who can teleport to you.  The others would have to wait for me to teleport to you and then teleport to me.  Precious time might be lost that way.  Time that might get you (and possibly me) killed.  I’d like you to come back here and link with more people, if possible.  Then you can resume your plan, if the others are ok with it.”  Hugh then shakes his head before rubbing it again.  “Ho… ho… ho…

Hugh then waits for Aa to respond and/or return.  Relink with Aa when she does so, then swap left gloves with her.

After doing so, use my robe to disguise myself as a random villager and see if I can disguise my needle as a walking stick (also, see if I can still see through it’s eye while it’s disguised).  If successful, keep it disguised.  If not, store it in sleeve-space. 

Then take first watch.  After first watch, hit the sack and sleep until morning. 

Then travel the forest path with the others (examining my surroundings as I go with my needle, if I was able to disguise it), and periodically closing my left eye to check up on Aa.  Notify the other’s and teleport  to Aa’s location if she’s in trouble.

Spoiler: Hugh (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Needle Links (click to show/hide)

((@Ozarck I don’t see Hugh’s link to Aa (or Aa at all) in your link web map.  The link is violet.))

Edit:  added part about relinking with Aa.

Edit2:  added more stuff.

Edit3:  added part about swapping gloves.

Edit4:  major rewrite of action consequent to Egan_BW’s explanation.  Also, s/rope/robe.

Edit5:  added a few line breaks.
You trade gloves and relink with Aa.
You disguise yourself as a random villager, a young woman, both in clothing and appearance. Your needle cannot be changed to match, so you stick it up a sleeve.

Spoiler: aa (click to show/hide)

Follow my link with Hugh back to the village. Relink my needle with anybody who agrees to try my plan. Trade left gloves with Hugh.

In the morning I'll proceed down the path a little ahead of the others, with my needle up my sleeve and using my robes to appear as some normal defenseless girl, as bait to lure out our prey. There's no telling whether the... nature of the rumors about Greenveil are true, but if they are it would prove beneficial to the bait to appear as someone conventionally attractive.

As I walk down the path, make sure my right palm is facing backwards and every few steps close my right eye to check if something is sneaking up behind me.

Can I still hear people trying to contact me through my needle if it's stowed up my sleeve, and can I still see through my glove-eyes if I'm using my robe to disguise myself? If I wear my own glove on one hand but a glove belonging to another homunculus on my other, can I still create a shield by crossing my arms, or do the gloves used have to belong to the same set?

You return and trade gloves.

"From what I heard if we travel the path we'll eventually come across the town, so I say we follow the trail and stop by."

"If Aa wants to walk in front of us, I have no objections. Though maybe we should all take guises as villagers? We'd look more like a search party instead of dangerous agents of the Magi."

"I'll take fourth watch."

Grey swaps gloves with Genesis and breaks his link with Luta, forming a new one with Aa. Grey randomly picks one of the men around the village and shapeshifts so that his face and robe matches their appearance. I assume they'll agree to this, because they wouldn't want to disagree would they?

After sleeping and taking fourth watch Grey hides his needle in his robe, hopefully not breaking anything with its anti-magic properties. He then travels the forest path with the group, with Aa and Genesis some distance ahead, periodically looking through the gloves he gave Genesis to be sure that they're still upright and walking forwards.

Spoiler: Grey (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Needle links (click to show/hide)
Gloves swapped, links formed, shape shifted into random man.

[?][?]

Late that night, as the rest of the Homunculi sleep and await the morning search, Grey is standing watch.  The inn is three stories tall, one of the tallest buildings in town, with at least 20 or so rooms scattered among the floors. Grey is on the third floor,  in a large communal room that holds several beds and several homunculi. He's pulled a chair up to one of the windows and has his feet up, staring out at the street and the town beyond. It has been an exceedingly boring hour or so. He yawns and scans his eyes cross the town for the hundredth time, idly stopping to focus here or there on the rooftops and fields. There's a house down the road that has some very nice eagles carved into the points of its roof beams and he is admiring these when he catches sight of something. Its difficult to tell what it is; its a great distance away and lit only by moonlight, out on the edges of the farm fields that encircle the town. A distant, blurry, shadowed form moving across the fields. Moving not towards town, but towards the woods. Something about it is off...he's seen odd pedestrians wandering all night but this one...its movements aren't right. They're...fluid in a way that humans aren't, wriggling and flowing in a boneless parody of human movement. At least that's his impression as the thing vanishes into the tall stalks of a corn field.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2021, 04:24:16 pm by piecewise »

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Magnum Opus: Hungry
« Reply #1167 on: October 28, 2021, 05:12:50 pm »

Spoiler: aa (click to show/hide)

Dream happy Glutton dreams. Try eating dreamstuff.

Or get woken up. That works too. *grumble*

Prepared to do a Dumb Glutton Trick with Hugh in order to catch the perp.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2021, 08:56:33 pm by Egan_BW »

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
Re: Magnum Opus: Screaming Silence
« Reply #1168 on: October 28, 2021, 07:32:02 pm »

Being asleep, I guess I'm asleep until / unless Grey wakes us.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Needle Links (click to show/hide)
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Fire and Glory

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Magnum Opus: Screaming Silence
« Reply #1169 on: October 28, 2021, 07:33:05 pm »

Hm, odd. It’s likely too late to catch the thing, but it’s nearly morning anyways and I believe it was mentioned that homunculi (or Hugh at least) don’t need much sleep. Grey goes around waking the others up, mentioning that he saw a Thing heading for the woods.

Once everyone is getting upright, Grey points out where he saw the creature to Debby, and then reaches out an arm towards the window and Maintains the Thing’s current position. Not that he can see it, or even knows what it is or where it is by now, but maybe we can find it after the magic takes hold.

Regardless of if the magic takes or not, Grey heads down to the cornfield where he last saw the thing.

Grey refuses any efforts by Hugh to bring Grey on his space-warping adventure, the results will be spectacular if anything goes wrong.

Spoiler: Grey (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Needle links (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 30, 2021, 08:39:05 pm by Fire and Glory »
Pages: 1 ... 76 77 [78] 79 80 ... 116